Creativity not brawn the key to our future offensive success

75boyz

Reaction score
Personally, I would love to see brawn upfront but with the creativity from the coaches mixed in. That way, the creativity keeps the defense off guard, builds a lead, and at some point in the second half, the brawn takes over and allows you to chew up yards and clock at will.

This type of balance that you mention here, between brawn and coaching, is what all Cowboys fans are hoping for I believe.

Prime21

Reaction score
Play calling matters. 1st and goal on the 4 and they line up in spread formation, Zeke doesn't touch the ball once, then the FG. I can't remember the number of times I have yelled at the TV saying just give Zeke the ball 4 times. Zeke carried the ball 22 times inside the opponents 10 yard line this season. 22 times!!! Think about how stupid that is for a team "built to run the ball."

To an extent I agree. But I remember people raving about the QB sneak call on 3rd and long against Seattle. Dak had to break tackles to make the play. A lot of the "good" playcalls are just 20/20 hindsight of well executed plays or great efforts by great players.

I am a Garrett type guy in that I lean toward execution over creativity. Don't get your butt kicked on 4th and 1.

75boyz

Reaction score
To an extent I agree. But I remember people raving about the QB sneak call on 3rd and long against Seattle. Dak had to break tackles to make the play. A lot of the "good" playcalls are just 20/20 hindsight of well executed plays or great efforts by great players.

I am a Garrett type guy in that I lean toward execution over creativity. Don't get your butt kicked on 4th and 1.

Nice post and I agree to an extent.

But really I kinda am at a crossroads or am straddling the fence on both sides.
On the one, I totally agree and my reference point narrative being Warner's 'missed opportunity' piece he did on Daks inability to not see the whole field, staring down the first read and missing several NFL wide open available chunk plays to be made in addition to TDs. So, in that regard, execution as you said (or lack of QB ability in my eyes) in additio to "missed opportunities" is the culprit. Not the play call itself. The opportuity was there, it was just not executed. The same can be said for Linehans inability to have effective run plays inside the red zone and he tried getting too cute with passing when maybe a simple smashmouth approach would have been more effective. Totally agree with ya. Did not necessarily need creativity there.

On the other side of the fence is the lack of creativity and productivity. When new receivers to the Cowboys offense, such as Cooper or Hurns even go public with the predictability of the extremely limited Cowboy receiver route tree. And you add in personnel groupings that the average fan can see coming from a mile away, you know some kinda diversity needs to be added.

I mean, over the years, whether it was Dunbar or Switzer or now Austin split out wide, how much ya wanna bet it was gonna be a jet sweep? That's just one example of the predictable tells with personnel groupings. I remember Janoris Jenkins of the Giants giving a crazy simplistic breakdown of Dez's 3 routes that he runs and how easy it was to defend. So, in that regard, change is definitely necessary.

The ability to impose the will while the opponent may know your play and not be able to stop it is a beautiful thing. I just think it's almost impossible to re capture that type of playing style since our talent dominant group did it in the 90s and that pseudo version took place in 2016 before defensive coordinators had tape on Dak. Now they have the book on him, much more creativity is needed in my opinion because of his limitations.

So I guess in my opinion it's a combination of creativity but execution as well.

Blackrain

Reaction score
The key to our future offensive success is the following,

1. Dak building chemistry with Cooper and Gallup
2. Getting TFred back
3. Connor Williams gets a much needed off season in NFL strength program
4. Addressing TE in FA or draft round 2 or 3

That is the crux of it and the top 3 are given. Zeke is who is. We do need to do something with WR depth but they will not be core players and do not need to be.
Great post , Would like to add upgrades at DT and Safety if possible also

Dre11

Reaction score

:clap::bow::thumbup:

Blackrain

Reaction score
I don’t disagree with your points. But can’t we also agree that coaching plays a very big role in the performance of any NFL team? All 4 of your points can happen causing an improvement in talent, but talent alone does not translate to winning in this league.

The NFL is not just a collection of great athletes and the team with the best talent does not always win. The pats are a great example of what I mean. They rarely have the most talent although they certainly have talent at some key positions. But what they consistently have over other NFL teams is outstanding coaching. And it’s not just Belichick. Their assistant coaches like OC Josh McDaniel are outstanding. And the pats lose asst. coaches almost every year as they often get HC jobs.

Talent is a huge ingredient to winning. But talent alone isn’t enough. Good coaching is usually the difference maker. If we’re going to improve in the playoffs, the coaching MUST also improve.

I think coaching is going to enter into the points he presented . Moore needs to get Dak and Gallup on the same page and those missed passes turn into TDs . Fred is going to need coaching and training to get him back to the player he was and Williams could benefit from a great strength and conditioning coach . It all factors in to the end product IMO

Dre11

Reaction score
Play calling matters. 1st and goal on the 4 and they line up in spread formation, Zeke doesn't touch the ball once, then the FG. I can't remember the number of times I have yelled at the TV saying just give Zeke the ball 4 times. Zeke carried the ball 22 times inside the opponents 10 yard line this season. 22 times!!! Think about how stupid that is for a team "built to run the ball."

That's hindsight as the poster mentioned, spreading out a team on the goal line to try and deceive, or create lanes is a sound strategy when you've been getting your doors blown off by Defensive lines on the goal line, especially when they know who you want to give the ball to. No play works if not executed right. There's been times they gave Zeke the ball and he didn't score, what was your complaint then? How about the time they went spread and scored? Did you want to give the points back because you felt they shouldn't go spread?

sulu1701

Reaction score
You ever watch Oblivion? Not the Tom Cruise one.
The one with George Takei?
I just love that guy. I'd write a character for him any day.
Can't say that I have, but it sounds interesting

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
How that work out for the "innovative " McVay?....lol
He got out coached by the master innovator!! The Rams 2nd ranked offense got dominated by NE’s middle of the pack D because Belicheat came up with a great defensive game plan and Mc Vay failed to adjust. Coaching Matters a lot!

Dre11

Reaction score
He got out coached by the master innovator!! The Rams 2nd ranked offense got dominated by NE’s middle of the pack D because Belicheat came up with a great defensive game plan and Mc Vay failed to adjust. Coaching Matters a lot!

Lol...he got outcoached or did his qb wet the bed. There were opportunities for the Rams to score on multiple occasions and the wr ( drop in endzone) , qb late on throw down the field that got broken up late, miss by qb over the middle of the field that probably scores. These are poor execution issues that determine the outcome of games, I say execution matters 10x more. Drive,ineptitude, and heart comes from within a player and it's not coached. It was sloppy football. Just like this AAF.

Number1

Reaction score
Got to disagree . Coaching wins you the SB that's why NE has won so many . Talent gets you to the playoffs like you said we beat up MOST teams but the best teams are in the playoffs and are much better coached than most teams

These teams are able to coach there players to exploit weaknesses on every different team they play not run the same tired scheme against every team they play and hope our talent trumps there's .

Team specific game planning along with great talent and smart players is what is needed to get to and win SBs . Great coaching and ultra smart players beat talented poorly coached players with average football intelligence. NE has just proven it too many times . Like was said earlier the Rams out coached us then were schooled by the masters .

We are 3 players away talent wise and a mile away in coaching to get to a SB I hoping Moore shortens that distance because Garrett has proven he can not .

excuse the slow reply, you kinda just made my point/ How as it possible for the great coaches to maintain great teams? great FOs, *depth*

we are 3 players short and frankly I see this team getting by leaps and bounds over the off season. 2 of the 3 may already be on the roster.

only 1 coach ever won a SB with more than 1 QB. Think bout that for a minute ... only Gibbs pulled that off

the great QBs creates great coaches, if you have a FO that keeps your great QB standing ... this FO has given JG that 3x with Romo and 1x with Dak

Landry didn't in one until '71, with in IMO the most talented team ever, including Rodger - for real

JG has never been subject to the hostility Landry often faced in the press, JJ rightly gets all that
I'll give JG credit for a team that hustles
but Landry's were often fanatics

do I think JG has the potential with Dak to get to that level? yes, this team is more than in the hunt for the foreseeable future

I have no idea what the long term impact of KM will be on this deal so you're right the coaching ain't deep nor notable, I'm not sure it matters, KM as OC basically means it's JG's system and go execute. Really more is riding on Colombo than the rest of the coaching staff combined, and he's a half season in. I hear you ...

whatever else we say about Dak, no one played better since mid season, with the other offensive weapons in place this team might light up the score board with an off season to sync. I'm more concern about S and D1 and LG far more than I'm worried about JG, KM, ... it's always the FO

for example, if they'd hit big with William's rookie season, heck if they had just resigned Cooper ...
the coaches ain't the issue

Last edited:

cern

Reaction score
Impose your will. This is what wins games.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Lol...he got outcoached or did his qb wet the bed. There were opportunities for the Rams to score on multiple occasions and the wr ( drop in endzone) , qb late on throw down the field that got broken up late, miss by qb over the middle of the field that probably scores. These are poor execution issues that determine the outcome of games, I say execution matters 10x more. Drive,ineptitude, and heart comes from within a player and it's not coached. It was sloppy football. Just like this AAF.
You say execution matters 10x more than coaching. You don’t get it!

Belicheat’s Defensive Coaching/defenive game plan, PUT his defensive players in better position to execute! Belicheat made it easier for his defensive players to execute!!
You are correct execution does matter. Excellent coaching puts players in position, so it is easier to execute!!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
excuse the slow reply, you kinda just made my point/ How as it possible for the great coaches to maintain great teams? great FOs, *depth*

we are 3 players short and frankly I see this team getting by leaps and bounds over the off season. 2 of the 3 may already be on the roster.

only 1 coach ever won a SB with more than 1 QB. Think bout that for a minute ... only Gibbs pulled that off

the great QBs creates great coaches, if you have a FO that keeps your great QB standing ... this FO has given JG that 3x with Romo and 1x with Dak

Landry didn't in one until '71, with in IMO the most talented team ever, including Rodger - for real

JG has never been subject to the hostility Landry often faced in the press, JJ rightly gets all that

do I think JG has the potential with Dak to get to that level? yes, this team is more than in the hunt for the foreseeable future

I have no idea what the long term impact of KM will be on this deal so you're right the coaching ain't deep nor notable, I'm not sure it matters, KM as OC basically means it's JG's system and go execute. Really more is riding on Colombo than the rest of the coaching staff combined, and he's a half season in. I hear you ...

whatever else we say about Dak, no one played better since mid season, with the other offensive weapons in place this team might light up the score board with an off season to sync. I'm more concern about S and D1 and LG far more than I'm worried about JG, KM, ... it's always the FO

for example, if they'd hit big with William's rookie season, heck if they had just resigned Cooper ...
You watched this predictable, basic and slow paced offensive all season and you didn’t think coaching was the issue. Even Jones and Garrett disagree with you. They fired Linehan.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I simply don't understand this fan base's and organization's absolute certainty that Kellen Moore is some offensive savant slash creative mastermind.

It's possible he could be, but there is no tangible evidence that he actually is.

The last few years, fans would justify his presence on the team as Moore being "Linehan's guy" and now suddenly everyone is claiming he is the exact antithesis of Garrett and Linhean's unimaginative play calling.

Number1

Reaction score
You watched this predictable, basic and slow paced offensive all season and you didn’t think coaching was the issue. Even Jones and Garrett disagree with you. They fired Linehan.

not nearly as big as the FO

kskboys

Reaction score
You say execution matters 10x more than coaching. You don’t get it!

Belicheat’s Defensive Coaching/defenive game plan, PUT his defensive players in better position to execute! Belicheat made it easier for his defensive players to execute!!
You are correct execution does matter. Excellent coaching puts players in position, so it is easier to execute!!
Since execution is a facet of coaching, it's impossible for execution to matter more than coaching.

kskboys

Reaction score

Steelers were more talented than the Cowboys back then. They were frickin' stacked.