Creativity not brawn the key to our future offensive success

Dre11

Reaction score
You say execution matters 10x more than coaching. You don’t get it!

Belicheat’s Defensive Coaching/defenive game plan, PUT his defensive players in better position to execute! Belicheat made it easier for his defensive players to execute!!
You are correct execution does matter. Excellent coaching puts players in position, so it is easier to execute!!

No you don't get it, I've coached more than 20 years and played as well, as a player it's your job to be in the right place when you're suppose to be, no matter what scheme or game plan is put it, it's on the player to make it work, which also require countless hours of self preperation, that has nothing to do with coaching.

cern

Reaction score
Easier said than done when talent is so equal among teams.

You sound like Garrett before a playoff loss.
Tuinei, Gogan and Nate were just average before jimmy showed up. Then they became motivated. They didn't magically get better. They were better coached. Superior state of mind rules.

kskboys

Reaction score
Tuinei, Gogan and Nate were just average before jimmy showed up. Then they became motivated. They didn't magically get better. They were better coached. Superior state of mind rules.
Nate was a lazy sonofagun who the Commanders didn't know what to do w/. He was obviously talented, but didn't seem to care. Jimmy got him to care.

Tuinei was a DT changing positions.

Agree that it was coaching.

Number1

Reaction score
The key to our future offensive success is the following,

1. Dak building chemistry with Cooper and Gallup
2. Getting TFred back
3. Connor Williams gets a much needed off season in NFL strength program
4. Addressing TE in FA or draft round 2 or 3

That is the crux of it and the top 3 are given. Zeke is who is. We do need to do something with WR depth but they will not be core players and do not need to be.

manyy will disagree
Steelers were more talented than the Cowboys back then. They were frickin' stacked.

dude, the '71 Cowboys were awesome

the 75 Steelers have 8 guys in the HOF, like the 71 Boys, but the 71 Boys have another 5 guys who should be in the hall

I think only the 66 Packers have more HOFers

kskboys

Reaction score
manyy will disagree

dude, the '71 Cowboys were awesome

the 75 Steelers have 8 guys in the HOF, like the 71 Boys, but the 71 Boys have another 5 guys who should be in the hall

I think only the 66 Packers have more HOFers
Steelers were so talented that Bradshaw won 4 super bowls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Number1

Reaction score
Steelers were so talented that Bradshaw won 4 super bowls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 years is a long time in the NFL, only 2 of the 8 HoFers from the '71 Boys were on the '75 squad that lost to the Steelers in SB X

the '71 Boys were IMO the most talented ever, look at it like this the 93 Cowboys only have 4 HoFers, vs 8 (should be 13) on the '71 squad

the hypocrisy towards the squad in HoF voting is amazing, for example

- Howley in SB V was MVP despite being on the losing team (the only 1 ever), also the 1st first non-quarterback to receive the award
a year later he had 3 INTs vs Miami in SB VI ... 6 PBs, 5x all pro, but don't have a yellow jacket ... that's cold

- Lee Roy Jordan "killer", 2nd only to Woodson as Cowboys all time solo tackler. 154 straight starts, 5x PBs, 2x AP ...
unquestioned leader of the Dooms Day D ... no jacket

*** I'll give Ham and Lambert their due as better LBs - but not by much

- George Andrie played DE for the Cowboys for 11 seasons, 112 straight regular-season starts and only 2 missed games in his career
he once had 18.5 sacks in a 14 game season, made 5 straight PBs, and was a 3x AP, ... those #s are about the same as Charley Haley (while playing in far less pass oriented era) ... no jacket

- John Niland - along with Rayfield Wright, Nate Newton, and Larry Allen, Niland is one of only four OL in team history with at least six Pro Bowl selections. John was in 6 consecutive PBs and was a 3x AP, while only missing two games in 11 seasons ... no jacket

- Cornell Green, never missed a game in 13 seasons, including 145 consecutive starts, 5x PB, 3x all pro ... IMO, the best athlete to ever play for the Boys
along with Lott the only 2 players ever to make 1st team AP at both CB and S... no jacket

- Cliff Harris is one of only 13 players in NFL history to play in five SBs, 6 consecutive PBs, 4x AP, made the NFL 1970s All-Decade Team ... no jacket

Green and Harris are among the most feared S combos in history.
BTW, Adderley and Renfro have serious arguments for being the best 2 CBs to ever play the game
Those DBs are arguably the best secondary ever.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Don't really care, as long as they score points with each offensive possession at a higher rate than most teams, which they generally have. Last year they dipped, but they came up a bit with the addition of Cooper, and they'll come up again a bit more if they address their red zone issues.
As always you see a completely different game. Even jones has been aggressive in make sure the old Garrett, boring, predictable offense dies a slow death.

Your hero got kicked to the curb yet again!!!!

This time for a 29 year old one year qb coach? Ouch!!!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Well, let's all hope clapper has been told to simply come up with new, exciting raa raa slogans, goes to the TC for clapping talent and learns a few new sidle line butt slapping and hand patting moves, and stays the hell out of calling plays...8 years of his offense by committee has grown old and tire some to say the least. He has GOOD players, we all know this, and yet he insist on doing the same old tired dance. What his butt best do this season, with all this talent, especially if they keep our core players, is get them ready for the big games. Disgusting watching this bunch come out flat and disoriented after a bye or going into a playoff round.
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
To an extent I agree. But I remember people raving about the QB sneak call on 3rd and long against Seattle. Dak had to break tackles to make the play. A lot of the "good" playcalls are just 20/20 hindsight of well executed plays or great efforts by great players.

I am a Garrett type guy in that I lean toward execution over creativity. Don't get your butt kicked on 4th and 1.

“I’m a garret type of guy”?= no credibility

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That is all it comes down to.

NFL ranks
yards per drive
2016 5th
2017 10th
2018 games 1-7 22nd
2018 games 8-18 7th

TD per drive
2016 4th
2017 6th
2018 games 1-7 24th
2018 games 8-18 10th

3rd down conversion %, pass
2016 11th
2017 13th
2018 games 1-7 32nd
2018 games 8-18 9th

Red Zone TD%
2016 66.1
2018 54.5

With Garrett’s offense and howdy duty as hc you need superior talent to dominate. Once a few injuries kick in, the scheme and Garrett fall apart. These stats bare that out loudly.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As always you see a completely different game. Even jones has been aggressive in make sure the old Garrett, boring, predictable offense dies a slow death.

Your hero got kicked to the curb yet again!!!!

This time for a 29 year old one year qb coach? Ouch!!!

I do see a completely different game from the ones you seem to watch, yes, thankfully.

As I said, points/offensive series is how I typically evaluate an offense’s production. It’s a better measure than total points, since not all teams have the same number of possessions. And it’s definitely a better measure than the “creativity scale” we get from fans who don’t know any better.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I do see a completely different game from the ones you seem to watch, yes, thankfully.

As I said, points/offensive series is how I typically evaluate an offense’s production. It’s a better measure than total points, since not all teams have the same number of possessions. And it’s definitely a better measure than the “creativity scale” we get from fans who don’t know any better.

It’s your evaluation that Garrett’s ho hum, predictable, non creative, boring offense works just fine that leaves most of us at a loss as to your football knowledge.

My god even Cooper had to plead to dak to break the play in order to catch the defense napping. He was rolling his eyes at “another 9 yard comeback route they had been sitting on all day”. Lol

But again......you see a different game. At this point it’s commical.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s your evaluation that Garrett’s ho hum, predictable, non creative, boring offense works just fine that leaves most of us at a loss as to your football knowledge.

My god even Cooper had to plead to dak to break the play in order to catch the defense napping. He was rolling his eyes at “another 9 yard comeback route they had been sitting on all day”. Lol

But again......you see a different game. At this point it’s commical.

I assume by “most of us” you’re referring to yourself and your imaginary friends. It’s ok with me if you guys get a good chuckle out of it since it doesn’t actually affect the argument at all.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
How about just catching wide open passes in the end zone, throwing the ball away when pressures beating down and picking up blitzes.

Those don’t make flashy headlines but it would have added at least 3 ppg last year.

sean10mm

Reaction score
The modern NFL doesn't allow you to build rosters that are overwhelmingly talented compared to everyone else. How many current and future Hall of Fame players won rings with New England? It's a shockingly short list for a team that won 6 titles since 2001, but that's the nature of the league during that period.

The value of everything else has been amplified as a result of the raw talent being more equalized. Every small advantage takes on greater importance. If the contest is more or less a physical stalemate the impasse has to be broken mentally. The Patriots are more clever schematically AND they execute better, they're grubbing for every small advantage because they know it all adds up; it's not an either-or thing, you need both. Better play-calling isn't a cure-all like some people make it out to be, but that's not the point - the point is that winning a game can hinge on extending one drive with one play the other team didn't anticipate. This is literally what the Patriots did to the Rams in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl to break the stalemate on offense - they ran a spread offense with heavy goal line personnel out of nowhere and it confused the Rams just enough to eke out a touchdown drive.

The Patriots have TOM BRADY, and they're still not content with just running their base offense and relying on execution, so who the hell are the Cowboys to think they can get away with it? I don't see 1992 Aikman or 1977 Staubach under center there anymore.

75boyz

Reaction score
The modern NFL doesn't allow you to build rosters that are overwhelmingly talented compared to everyone else. How many current and future Hall of Fame players won rings with New England? It's a shockingly short list for a team that won 6 titles since 2001, but that's the nature of the league during that period.

The value of everything else has been amplified as a result of the raw talent being more equalized. Every small advantage takes on greater importance. If the contest is more or less a physical stalemate the impasse has to be broken mentally. The Patriots are more clever schematically AND they execute better, they're grubbing for every small advantage because they know it all adds up; it's not an either-or thing, you need both. Better play-calling isn't a cure-all like some people make it out to be, but that's not the point - the point is that winning a game can hinge on extending one drive with one play the other team didn't anticipate. This is literally what the Patriots did to the Rams in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl to break the stalemate on offense - they ran a spread offense with heavy goal line personnel out of nowhere and it confused the Rams just enough to eke out a touchdown drive.

The Patriots have TOM BRADY, and they're still not content with just running their base offense and relying on execution, so who the hell are the Cowboys to think they can get away with it? I don't see 1992 Aikman or 1977 Staubach under center there anymore.

Really nice post man.

kskboys

Reaction score

Just because players didn't make the HOF does not mean they weren't highly talented.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Just because players didn't make the HOF does not mean they weren't highly talented.

You can use any metric you like, and the answer ends up the same - elite talent isn't concentrated in a smaller number of teams like it used to be.

Even the 2007 Patriots, which is generally seen as their best collection of pure talent even though they lost the Super Bowl, wasn't nearly as stacked compared to the rest of the league as the 1992-1995 Cowboys. Their defensive stars were aging out, their OL would be outclassed by the Cowboys dynasty line easily except maybe for Mankins, and who was even their running back? Maroney? LMAO.