Current Dallas Cowboys 53-man roster

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Micah will be playing a lot more LB this year
That's my thought. Five is OK if we actually are going to use Micah some at linebacker, which I think we will do on early downs when we don't want him lining up at end against the run.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think Waletzko caught a break with Edoga out. Richards hasn't been playing right tackle, so there's really no depth there. I thought Josh Ball deserved a spot over Waletzko.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think Booth likewise only made it because of injury. He looked good as a tackler, but not so great in coverage. If Bland hadn't been hurt, I think Mukuamu would have taken last spot and Booth would have been PS-bound at best.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We had to pay a lot, though, to land Spann-Ford as a UDFA. I suspect that's one of the reasons he's on the roster. Didn't want to risk him to waivers.
From what I remember, they only paid around $20k to get him which is not much.

I think they guaranteed his salary (may be confusing him for someone else, but either way ..) for 2024 which I would think if they move him to the PS and another team signs him, the other team would be on the hook for his salary excluding the signing bonus.

gimmesix

Reaction score
From what I remember, they only paid around $20k to get him which is not much.

I think they guaranteed his salary (may be confusing him for someone else, but either way ..) for 2024 which I would think if they move him to the PS and another team signs him, the other team would be on the hook for his salary excluding the signing bonus.
Guaranteed salary of $225,000 with a $20,000 signing bonus. Similar to what they gave Luepke last year.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guaranteed salary of $225,000 with a $20,000 signing bonus. Similar to what they gave Luepke last year.
That sounds right ..

That means if they move him to the PS, they would still have to pay him each week, but if another team signs him the new team would be on the hook for the game checks after that.

Unless there is a TE injury we don't know about, I think they will move him to the PS when they need a roster spot and all other roster-freeing moves have been used.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
The big question in my mind tonight is: Are they better off right now than they were this time last season? I am evaluating and giving it some thought. I would hope they are but....

gimmesix

Reaction score
That sounds right ..

That means if they move him to the PS, they would still have to pay him each week, but if another team signs him the new team would be on the hook for the game checks after that.

Unless there is a TE injury we don't know about, I think they will move him to the PS when they need a roster spot and all other roster-freeing moves have been used.
I don't think they guaranteed his salary just to cut him. They did it because there were other sharks in the water. So I don't think they want to just throw him in. I think there are a few other players, such as Wheat, that they know they can risk to waivers and get through to the practice squad. Same thing with Buddy Johnson. For that matter, they can just cut Goodwin again and put him there for three games. The ability to bring players up for three games changes how you view the PS. Now, it's viewed as an extension of the roster and you risk the guys most likely to be able to get to it.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The big question in my mind tonight is: Are they better off right now than they were this time last season? I am evaluating and giving it some thought. I would hope they are but....
Good question. It’s easy to say on paper one way or the other but we really won’t know for several weeks. I think Parcells said by Thanksgiving you know.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
RB’s look not so good. Only 5 LB’s? CB looks weak without Bland. The rest of the team looks pretty damn good. I’m sure they’ll address both RB, CB and LB at some point soon.
Don’t forget Parsons playing some LB.
My biggest concern is going a bit thin on pass rushers unless they are high on Wheat.

My biggest disappointment? Why the HELL won’t they let go of Edoga?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Don’t forget Parsons playing some LB.
My biggest concern is going a bit thin on pass rushers unless they are high on Wheat.

My biggest disappointment? Why the HELL won’t they let go of Edoga?
Great points. I keep hearing how hard it is to find offensive lineman that can play in the NFL so they keep him for emergencies.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think they guaranteed his salary just to cut him. They did it because there were other sharks in the water. So I don't think they want to just throw him in. I think there are a few other players, such as Wheat, that they know they can risk to waivers and get through to the practice squad. Same thing with Buddy Johnson. For that matter, they can just cut Goodwin again and put him there for three games. The ability to bring players up for three games changes how you view the PS. Now, it's viewed as an extension of the roster and you risk the guys most likely to be able to get to it.
The minimum salary for a player with less than 2 years experience on the Practice Squad is $12.5k per week (for 2024), which is a salary of $212.5k if they remain on the PS all season.

I doubt an extra $12.5k ($735/week) will impact their decision process if they need an active roster slot on the 53-player roster.

It will be more about the player they need to add versus a 4th-on-the-depth-chart tight-end taking up a 53-player roster spot.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Is Dak going to be better? It all starts there.

Pass rush will be less, but run D will be better

Oline will struggle early. That will get in Daks head.

RB is a minus.

WR is a push. Tolbert should be an upgrade over Gallup, but we dont know. CeeDee is coming in 14lbs heavier.

Fergy should be better. Thats a plus.

We trust our Kicker. A plus.

Secondary, specifically Corner, os now in doubt. At least until Bland comes back. And thats assuming he comes back 100%. Id say a step back from last year.

You combine less pass rush with less coverage and it could be bad.

IMO, we start this year a few notches below what we started last year. If I were a betting man, Id put my money on the Cowboys not making the playoffs. Best case is wild card and out.

Thanks you *** clown Jerry Jones and family.

rambo2

Reaction score

RB is a minus.

WR is a push. Tolbert should be an upgrade over Gallup, but we dont know. CeeDee is coming in 14lbs heavier.

Secondary, specifically Corner, os now in doubt. At least until Bland comes back. And thats assuming he comes back 100%. Id say a step back from last year.

IMO, we start this year a few notches below what we started last year. If I were a betting man, Id put my money on the Cowboys not making the playoffs. Best case is wild card and out.

12 and 5.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
It shouldn’t be surprising that Span-Ford wasn’t noticed much in preseason. He is never going to be a major target in the passing game. However, most of you did notice improvement in the run game. Whether he’s ready for it this year or next, he was always primarily sought by most teams for his blocking. He will be an asset in short yardage and goal line, and I’m sure he will block and slip out from time to time in some packages.

Chuck 54

Reaction score

RB is a minus.

Dak is unlikely to be better than last year dur8ng the season because he was fantastic. We just need the entire team and Dak to be better in the playoffs. I still can’t remember a single player who stood out in that game last post season.

Jarntt

Reaction score
RB’s look not so good. Only 5 LB’s? CB looks weak without Bland. The rest of the team looks pretty damn good. I’m sure they’ll address both RB, CB and LB at some point soon.
Last year they only kept 3 LBers on the initial 53!!! Micah will play a little more LBer this year so really only need Johnson for STs or maybe not active on game day. Hopefully Overshown will be ready to go week 1