Current Dallas Cowboys 53-man roster

Jarntt

Reaction score
I think Dalvin Cook might start on the PS if he is signed. Teams have done that with vets when they first sign until they are ready to contribute since they changed the PS rules
I do agree with many hear about hoping he signs, but temper your expectations. He was really bad last year and I'm not so sure it was just the injury. Had zero burst on the Jets

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The minimum salary for a player with less than 2 years experience on the Practice Squad is $12.5k per week (for 2024), which is a salary of $212.5k if they remain on the PS all season.

I doubt an extra $12.5k ($735/week) will impact their decision process if they need an active roster slot on the 53-player roster.

It will be more about the player they need to add versus a 4th-on-the-depth-chart tight-end taking up a 53-player roster spot.
I think the fact that they had to pay what they did to get him impacts the decision process. Front offices spend time figuring out who they can get to the practice squad and who they feel is a risk. When they have to guarantee money, give signing bonuses, etc. to get a UDFA, then they know other teams had an interest in him and probably still do.

I think they'll cut a player who is less of a risk to be claimed before they'd cut Spann-Ford, but we'll see.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the fact that they had to pay what they did to get him impacts the decision process. Front offices spend time figuring out who they can get to the practice squad and who they feel is a risk. When they have to guarantee money, give signing bonuses, etc. to get a UDFA, then they know other teams had an interest in him and probably still do.

I think they'll cut a player who is less of a risk to be claimed before they'd cut Spann-Ford, but we'll see.
That is quite possible, but I still think the decision will have more to do with 4 tight-ends and 1 fullback on the active roster than who he is or what they paid to get him.

They may want to keep him protected on the active roster, but other positions may simply need that spot more.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think Dalvin Cook might start on the PS if he is signed. Teams have done that with vets when they first sign until they are ready to contribute since they changed the PS rules
I do agree with many hear about hoping he signs, but temper your expectations. He was really bad last year and I'm not so sure it was just the injury. Had zero burst on the Jets
It'll be interesting to see which of the vets we put on there. I think Huggins and Freeman could, but probably not Freeman if we add Cook. I wonder if Lawson might go to the PS. I'm surprised we didn't keep him. Muhammad might be another one. Bring up one of them instead of playing Wheat.

Jarntt

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see which of the vets we put on there. I think Huggins and Freeman could, but probably not Freeman if we add Cook. I wonder if Lawson might go to the PS. I'm surprised we didn't keep him. Muhammad might be another one. Bring up one of them instead of playing Wheat.
I'm really hoping Freeman. I think he could be our short yardage back. He's kind of a bull. Also plays STs so could get a callus if we need someone

gimmesix

Reaction score
That is quite possible, but I still think the decision will have more to do with 4 tight-ends and 1 fullback on the active roster than who he is or what they paid to get him.

They may want to keep him protected on the active roster, but other positions may simply need that spot more.
I just think with the PS rules, it's not as big of a deal. You can keep extra at a spot because you just deactivate them and call up those other positions that need a spot. Really, it's a 55-man roster now, with teams cutting players they feel they can get to the PS and call up (and a rotation of players for those two spots). It's kind of changed roster building a bit.

A player like Wheat, for instance, might have got a spot because Dallas felt if it cut him, Quinn would claim him. So instead it cuts Lawson and Muhammad because they were late additions to the roster (so you know they weren't in high demand) and are vets that can't be claimed. Teams are more apt now to keep players who can be claimed. Handshake deals can be reached with vets.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I just think with the PS rules, it's not as big of a deal. You can keep extra at a spot because you just deactivate them and call up those other positions that need a spot. Really, it's a 55-man roster now, with teams cutting players they feel they can get to the PS and call up (and a rotation of players for those two spots). It's kind of changed roster building a bit.

A player like Wheat, for instance, might have got a spot because Dallas felt if it cut him, Quinn would claim him. So instead it cuts Lawson and Muhammad because they were late additions to the roster (so you know they weren't in high demand) and are vets that can't be claimed. Teams are more apt now to keep players who can be claimed. Handshake deals can be reached with vets.

But there is a limit of like 3 times. You can't call the same guy up every week

gimmesix

Reaction score
But there is a limit of like 3 times. You can't call the same guy up every week
You can call him up three games in a row before you have to make a decision. Usually by that time, you've had an injury that opens up a spot ... or you put multiple backups you can call up before having to make that decision. Last year, we were doing that at backup center before deciding to sign Hoffman to the 53.

gimmesix

Reaction score
He's redundant with Zeke.
I think he could end up on the PS, though, in case of injury since Zeke is older and frailer than he was and Rico hasn't exactly been able to stay healthy in his short career.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't understand why they cut DT Justin Rogers? He looked way better than Mazi during training camp and throughout preseason. I hope no other team picks up Justin Rogers. This team keeps making the same dumb mistakes when it concerns talented late round big DTs. They did it with Ridgeway and now did it with Rogers.

Amarillofan82

Reaction score
I
That's my thought. Five is OK if we actually are going to use Micah some at linebacker, which I think we will do on early downs when we don't want him lining up at end against the run.
I agree. LB seems really light, but what are they gonna do. If they play 4-2-5 then it works but any 3-4 variation really puts pressure on the team to stop the run

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I don't understand why they cut DT Justin Rogers? He looked way better than Mazi during training camp and throughout preseason. I hope no other team picks up Justin Rogers. This team keeps making the same dumb mistakes when it concerns talented late round big DTs. They did it with Ridgeway and now did it with Rogers.
What is the proof rogers was better than mazi? Eye test?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Pff had mazi graded higher in the first game. But if your eye test is better I understand
Bryan Broaddus and Voch Lombardi both kept stating repeatedly how Mazi kept struggling throughout camp and preseason while Rogers looked better. They even showed various films to support their breakdowns. I guess they are blind and a bunch of liars?

gimmesix

Reaction score
  • Andrew Booth .... !! (Ugh ) ...no question a personally fan fav of Zimmer....
I think he was another one of those young players that the team felt would be claimed if he was cut. Doesn't mean he was the 53rd-best player on the team or even the fifth-best CB. Since they traded to acquire him (even if it wasn't much), that could mean they are right that they couldn't have got him to the PS.

I think we need to get used to the fact that the PS is an extension of the roster now, with the callups and veterans being eligible (while younger players can be claimed on waivers). Teams know they can keep some players who might be claimed, make them inactive and call up players for the gameday roster instead. I'm not sure that will happen with Booth since our CB depth is a little thin, but I'm just pointing out that the thinking is different now due to the PS changes.