Current odds on where Belichick will be coaching next year

fivetwos

Reaction score
Wouldn’t mind BB because it’ll probably mean Jerry shuts it a little more often, although probably not.

I guess the culture would change a bit for the better, but by the time the roster is built to where he wants it, isn’t it about time for him to be gone?

Then what? Start again?

Get me a young coordinator who has a shot shot to be here for a decade. If you don’t get it right, try again.

Bill doesnt get to bring his seven trophies with him and have them count for Dallas in case anyone was wondering.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
He could be 76 and his job would be secure as long as he has Mahomes as his QB. Along with the great team he has. When he got fired in Philly, McNabb was on the decline and he was stuck with Michael Vick.
He taught Vick a lot. He was a much better QB in Philly than Atlanta. If the Eagles had prime Vick right now instead of Hurts I wouldn’t be shocked to see them in the NFCCG.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He taught Vick a lot. He was a much better QB in Philly than Atlanta. If the Eagles had prime Vick right now instead of Hurts I wouldn’t be shocked to see them in the NFCCG.
Prime Michael Vick wasn’t even passing for 2500 yards and 20 TDs. Go look at his passing numbers. All he did well was run. You’re not going to get very far with a QB that does most of their damage with their legs. The most TD passes Vick had in his first five seasons was 15. He was one of the most overrated players in my opinion. Fans just loved watching him takeoff and run. Even in Philly he only had a couple of 3000 yard seasons and only once did he throw for more than 20 TDs. The Cowboys got their first playoff win in 13 years against him. That was Romo‘s first playoff win. I was never impressed with Michael Vick. Reid’s last two seasons in Philly he was 8-8 and 4-12 with Vick. It led to him being fired.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
He’s just too old folks. He’s 73 years old.

We need youth. We need fresh minds with innovative ideas.
Can you please prove to me that younger coaches are the ones producing a majority of the innovative ideas?

I am aware that pee-wee, middle school, high school and college is where the experiments are. And...to make a name for yourself, a lot of times its a young coach taking on risk at a low pay coaching gig like middle school or high school...

But...can you please, at length, convince me that it is only the young coaches that have the ideas?

The best argument I can come up for your stance is maybe the older a coach gets and the higher pay scale he gets to...he starts to take less risk because there is a good job on the line that he doesnt want to lose.

It seems like older coaches, wise to the game...and at a point where the game slows down for them, that these coaches would have better ideas than young guys. Why would innovation cease as you get older? Risk of losing a good job by doing something unconventional?

Anyway...I think analytics will allow older coaches to do things without getting fired. Now that you can lean on analytics and say "the numbers say this is smart and makes sense" less older coaches can do things without fear of losing their job.

I just dont buy that ONLY young guys have ideas. Its not scientific.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Can you please prove to me that younger coaches are the ones producing a majority of the innovative ideas?

I am aware that pee-wee, middle school, high school and college is where the experiments are. And...to make a name for yourself, a lot of times its a young coach taking on risk at a low pay coaching gig like middle school or high school...

But...can you please, at length, convince me that it is only the young coaches that have the ideas?

The best argument I can come up for your stance is maybe the older a coach gets and the higher pay scale he gets to...he starts to take less risk because there is a good job on the line that he doesnt want to lose.

It seems like older coaches, wise to the game...and at a point where the game slows down for them, that these coaches would have better ideas than young guys. Why would innovation cease as you get older? Risk of losing a good job by doing something unconventional?

Anyway...I think analytics will allow older coaches to do things without getting fired. Now that you can lean on analytics and say "the numbers say this is smart and makes sense" less older coaches can do things without fear of losing their job.

I just dont buy that ONLY young guys have ideas. Its not scientific.

Ok. How about a coach young enough that they don’t need depends.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Ok. How about a coach young enough that they don’t need depends.
At least you admit I make sense and the "young coach with fire and innovation" doesnt seem to have science behind it.

Yeah...I think Bill is brushed up next to being too old. Not saying he is...just that he is close.

Listening to him talk...he is not slow mentally at all...his age number is just up there. Cool...he might not have the fire to breathe like a young guy...but prove to me that some young guy is spending 15-20 more hours per week thinking about football than Bill. And...even if the young guy is spending more time thinking about football...how significant/relevant are his thoughts compared to someone like Bill who has been in the game a while?

If the players want a friend as their HC or Co-ordinator...then I guess this is all a mute point. A likeable HC is one thing...but the HC having to be young and likeable is another. If thats the current state of coaching...it is what it is.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think the odds are pretty good Belichick won’t be coaching next season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Belichick was 12-22 his last two seasons in New England and he’s going to be 73 years old. No thanks!

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I think the odds are pretty good Belichick won’t be coaching next season.
Can you explain why?

I get the age thing...sort of.

He does seem to be 'interviewing' on the Manning-cast...which, if true, might not be a good sign for him.

I just find it hard to believe he would be booted from the league 14 wins shy of most wins ever. I dont think his age is that big a deal. He talks fine...he isnt slow at all.

I get that teams would prefer a coach they can have around for 10 years if things work out. But...is there not a few teams with talent that have a couple of year window that Belicheck could slide onto?

I find it hard to believe his age is such a big deal in a league where coaches are hired and fired within 3 years on the regular.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
None of the "go younger" crowd has anything scientific to say about their position on the matter...

It comes across as more of a "let me tell you how to think" kinda thing...that isnt backed by anything scientific.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why young coaches are better than older coaches?

Can anyone provide any good explanation?

Looks? Fire breathing?

No one has anything it seems.

HungryLion

Reaction score
At least you admit I make sense and the "young coach with fire and innovation" doesnt seem to have science behind it.

Yeah...I think Bill is brushed up next to being too old. Not saying he is...just that he is close.

Listening to him talk...he is not slow mentally at all...his age number is just up there. Cool...he might not have the fire to breathe like a young guy...but prove to me that some young guy is spending 15-20 more hours per week thinking about football than Bill. And...even if the young guy is spending more time thinking about football...how significant/relevant are his thoughts compared to someone like Bill who has been in the game a while?

If the players want a friend as their HC or Co-ordinator...then I guess this is all a mute point. A likeable HC is one thing...but the HC having to be young and likeable is another. If thats the current state of coaching...it is what it is.

I don’t think the age number necessarily matters. Though 73 is getting to the point where physical health or cognitive health can become an issue at any given time.

I’m just saying I want somebody with new, more
Modern ideas and systems. Our last two head coaches have ran old offenses. Garret and McCarthy both ran outdated schemes with concepts that were popular in the 90’s.

I’m just saying I want somebody who is innovative and evolves with the times. Even if that dude is 60. That’s fine. We just need somebody who is willing and able to be innovative.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Can you explain why?

I get the age thing...sort of.

He does seem to be 'interviewing' on the Manning-cast...which, if true, might not be a good sign for him.

I just find it hard to believe he would be booted from the league 14 wins shy of most wins ever. I dont think his age is that big a deal. He talks fine...he isnt slow at all.

I get that teams would prefer a coach they can have around for 10 years if things work out. But...is there not a few teams with talent that have a couple of year window that Belicheck could slide onto?

I find it hard to believe his age is such a big deal in a league where coaches are hired and fired within 3 years on the regular.
I’ve explained why a number of times. He has a losing record without Tom Brady. In 5 years as the Browns head coach he had one winning season and lost in the first round of the playoffs. He was 5-13 with Drew Bledsoe his first couple of seasons in New England until Tom Brady took over. Belichick was on the hot seat until Brady took over. He would have been fired if it wasn’t for Brady. He went from 12-4 with Brady during his final season with the team in 2019 to 7-9 without him the following year. While he was suffering a losing season, Brady was winning another Super Bowl. In 29 years as a head coach, Belichick only had three winning seasons without Brady. He’s just another head coach without Brady. I’m sure other teams can see it. He sits there like a grouch during his press conferences. He looks like he would rather be anywhere, but in front of the media. I wouldn’t want to put up with some old man sitting there in front of a microphone with a dead look on their face who doesn’t want to talk after games. If it wasn’t for Brady, he would’ve been back to being a coordinator many years ago.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I don’t think the age number necessarily matters. Though 73 is getting to the point where physical health or cognitive health can become an issue at any given time.

I’m just saying I want somebody with new, more
Modern ideas and systems. Our last two head coaches have ran old offenses. Garret and McCarthy both ran outdated schemes with concepts that were popular in the 90’s.

I’m just saying I want somebody who is innovative and evolves with the times. Even if that dude is 60. That’s fine. We just need somebody who is willing and able to be innovative.
This might be sentence.

'Willing' is important. 'Able' is even more important.

1) I dont think there were a lot of FO's allowing HC's to take unconventional risks pre-2020. Now that analytics is gospel...I think coaches are ABLE to do things that before might get them fired. Fear is a motivator.

2) I think coaches are 'willing' to try new things with REASONABLE job security. 'Willing' to try things is different than HAVING new ideas.

3) I dont think HAVING new ideas is easy. Its usually not one person with many ideas...its a collective...unless you are a savant that can churn out ideas.

Can you elaborate on how, given the SUPPOSED pressure on NFL coaching jobs, young coaches would be more innovative? Seems like that whole concept is counter intuitive in a profession that is results driven and millions per year are at stake. Why would young coaches and not older coaches make an attempt at innovation to get a job or keep a job? Seems like the guys with good jobs would not want to lose those jobs. Unless, of course, it boils down to risk aversion being the culprit in all of this. If that is the case...it has nothing to do with age...but has everything to do with your Boss.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I’ve explained why a number of times. He has a losing record without Tom Brady. In 5 years as the Browns head coach he had one winning season and lost in the first round of the playoffs. He was 5-13 with Drew Bledsoe his first couple of seasons in New England until Tom Brady took over. Belichick was on the hot seat until Brady took over. He would have been fired if it wasn’t for Brady. He went from 12-4 with Brady during his final season with the team in 2019 to 7-9 without him the following year. While he was suffering a losing season, Brady was winning another Super Bowl. In 29 years as a head coach, Belichick only had three winning seasons without Brady. He’s just another head coach without Brady. I’m sure other teams can see it. He sits there like a grouch during his press conferences. He looks like he would rather be anywhere, but in front of the media. I wouldn’t want to put up with some old man sitting there in front of a microphone with a dead look on their face who doesn’t want to talk after games. If it wasn’t for Brady, he would’ve been back to being a coordinator many years ago.
That year that Brady was out injured he went 11-5 with Matt Cassell
kind of pisses all over your claims

not that they were worth much to begin with

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Though the above is worth absorbing...I think this is like a GM evaluating a QB based on Playoff record.

There is way more that goes into evaluating someone than win-loss record. EVEN COACHES.

Can you go into detail about the talent on those losing Belicheck teams. The moves the Org's he was hired by were making?

Youre simping out using vague answers. COME ON, MAN. You might be right...but they are still vague answers.

You gave blanket statements, so I will play that game...

You are saying that all the Big Bill hype he was given during the Patriots 10 year hey-day was lies? That Big Bill's defense doesnt reek havoc on rookie QB's. His O-Lines werent multi-dimensional and deep with rotations, the short passing game was stolen from college or high school coaches from the past, Brady throwing the ball into the ground instead of taking a fumble sack was not on Bill's watch and was Brady's idea of being smart with football, that the Patriots werent trying to win by cheating in different ways, that the Patriots werent at the forefront of reading the rule book and trying to exploit it...

You are saying that under Big Bill's tenure that there was NO innovative ideas or ideas about trying to win? That the Patriots Org was just lazy and relying on talent?

Bill, legally or illegally, had nothing to do with a 10 year hey-day where an Organization seemed to be leaving no stone unturned to win?

Thats fine...you can say "well...the other teams he was in charge of, losing teams, werent known for those things...so it wasnt him as the idea maker"

Its odd that a football world can turn on a guys knowledge just because of age.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s not just the age, it’s everything I mentioned in my previous post. Only three winning seasons in 29 years with a QB not named Tom Brady. That’s pretty dismal. He went 11-5 with Matt Cassel in 2008 and that team probably would’ve gone undefeated again with Brady. Belichick could’ve won 11 games with any QB as loaded as that team was. New England didn’t even make the playoffs that season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Though the above is worth absorbing...I think this is like a GM evaluating a QB based on Playoff record.

There is way more that goes into evaluating someone than win-loss record. EVEN COACHES.

Can you go into detail about the talent on those losing Belicheck teams. The moves the Org's he was hired by were making?

Youre simping out using vague answers. COME ON, MAN. You might be right...but they are still vague answers.

You gave blanket statements, so I will play that game...

You are saying that all the Big Bill hype he was given during the Patriots 10 year hey-day was lies? That Big Bill's defense doesnt reek havoc on rookie QB's. His O-Lines werent multi-dimensional and deep with rotations, the short passing game was stolen from college or high school coaches from the past, Brady throwing the ball into the ground instead of taking a fumble sack was not on Bill's watch and was Brady's idea of being smart with football, that the Patriots werent trying to win by cheating in different ways, that the Patriots werent at the forefront of reading the rule book and trying to exploit it...

You are saying that under Big Bill's tenure that there was NO innovative ideas or ideas about trying to win? That the Patriots Org was just lazy and relying on talent?

Bill, legally or illegally, had nothing to do with a 10 year hey-day where an Organization seemed to be leaving no stone unturned to win?

Thats fine...you can say "well...the other teams he was in charge of, losing teams, werent known for those things...so it wasnt him as the idea maker"

Its odd that a football world can turn on a guys knowledge just because of age.
I gave my opinion and am done discussing it. Appears you want to turn this into a marathon.