Cut Doug Free

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Green has been having durability issues since his freshman year at Florida. At least Leary, Collins, and T Smith have shown they can play the Majority of a season in the NFL.

Now see u have good plan. cutting Free and bring back on a cheap one year deal. Just getting rid of and hoping things will fall in place is not the way to go.
You are completely underselling how bad Free is......he is not a starting option at any price

RandyOh

Reaction score
Cleary was one of three options, your 'plan' involves paying $7.5 million for below average play. Some 'plan'..
Better then ending up with a worse right tackle because you didn't plan ahead and made a rash decision. Ill take my plan of 1 more season of Free and Chaz Green then actually looking at Cleary as a candidate at RT on purpose.

RandyOh

Reaction score
You are completely underselling how bad Free is......he is not a starting option at any price
So your saying free is back up level? So the best option would to dip into free agency where the vast majority are back up level tackles or look to this years draft where the better prospects are high potential low floor raw prospects who need a couple years at the least to develop in all aspects of the game like Adam Bisnowaty, Dion Dawkins, Julie'n Davenport, Jon Heck, Roderick Johnson need to do? Guess we can hope Dan Skipper last to our 4th round pick but he is basically Doug Free. gets destroyed by speed rushers.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Doug Free is our starting right tackle this season. This is off season talk.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Better then ending up with a worse right tackle because you didn't plan ahead and made a rash decision. Ill take my plan of 1 more season of Free and Chaz Green then actually looking at Cleary as a candidate at RT on purpose.

You do that.

Dallas won't.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
So your saying free is back up level? So the best option would to dip into free agency where the vast majority are back up level tackles or look to this years draft where the better prospects are high potential low floor raw prospects who need a couple years at the least to develop in all aspects of the game like Adam Bisnowaty, Dion Dawkins, Julie'n Davenport, Jon Heck, Roderick Johnson need to do? Guess we can hope Dan Skipper last to our 4th round pick but he is basically Doug Free. gets destroyed by speed rushers.
NO.....I start with Green and I draft an OT......Cleary is also a fall back.....if I can find a vet in FA great

I am so done with Free, Dunbar and Lucky.....they hurt us and need to go...... just like Street, Hayden, Weeden and Wilcox at FS before them....and Randle too

RandyOh

Reaction score
You do that.

Dallas won't.
Dallas won't rely on Green or Cleary as an option. Dallas very much may do what bknight13 said and bring back Free on a cheaper contract. Either way much better chance Doug Free is still on the roster next year then off it. You have a nice evening stasheroo.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas won't rely on Green or Cleary as an option. Dallas very much may do what bknight13 said and bring back Free on a cheaper contract. Either way much better chance Doug Free is still on the roster next year then off it. You have a nice evening stasheroo.

You too.

RandyOh

Reaction score
NO.....I start with Green and I draft an OT......Cleary is also a fall back.....if I can find a vet in FA great

I am so done with Free, Dunbar and Lucky.....they hurt us and need to go...... just like Street, Hayden and Wilcox at FS before them
Which OT are u looking at in the draft?

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
So does JPP. And pretty much any good pass rusher who lines up at LDE against Free. LOL at some on here.
So lets cut our starting right tackle right before the playoffs. LOL again at YOU. I don't see you all complaining when Zeke takes one to the house running right behind Free.

joseephuss

Reaction score
So lets cut our starting right tackle right before the playoffs. LOL again at YOU. I don't see you all complaining when Zeke takes one to the house running right behind Free.

The OP is the only one suggesting cutting Free today. The rest are discussing cutting Free in the offseason.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
The OP is the only one suggesting cutting Free today. The rest are discussing cutting Free in the offseason.
Nice. Now go cower behind a rock. Graham is one of the leagues best left ends in the league. Free always struggles against him. No need to cut him. He has had a very good year. When Dak gets 5-7 seconds to throw on every play remember that Free is part of that.

RandyOh

Reaction score
I have no idea...........but there are plenty that can play RT on this OL
Their are not many options bro. Few of the top ones are already planning on going back to school. This years draft is full of raw high ceiling, low floor type prospects. I have been watching tape and trying to pull up any and every article on about 15 OT's so far trying to find a Doug Free replacement in this draft. This doesn't include the half a dozen OT that will need to make a switch to OG. I can't find one who won't bring down the line in his 1st year. Its why i would rather keep Free(hopefully with ur plan of a cheap 1 year contract) and keep trying with Chaz Green and draft his replacement in 2018 where the OT class is looking way better. Possibly even use a 1st on one if we go defense heavy in draft and free agency this year. We at the very least know we can we can have a 13-3 season with Free still on the line.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CvWGYaqVIAAqLMr.jpg:large
That never gets old.