News: CW: Russell Wilson's deal proves Cowboys aced Prescott negotiations since 2019

Ken

Reaction score
Your evaluation skills are very bad. Counting TD's is a very poor way of evaluating. That means you think Aikman sucked.

Here's what the scouts say: "Carr has been a steady leader and player across his 8 seasons w/ the Raiders, and consistently plays within the top 10-12 players at his position."
My evaluation skills are second to few.

Again, watch the guy play. SO inconsistent.

So he doesn't win, doesn't throw Tds, what does he do exactly?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Quit assigning the thoughts of others onto me. I like Dak. Don't agree w/ his pay, but he's a dang good QB.

Man, did you live under a rock back then? It was over everywhere when it happened. Don't deny crapp just because you don't like it, that puts you right down there to Pappy's level. Don't think that's what you want.

BS prove it, if you are so damn certain. Fact is a deal was never done, so he never backed out of a damn thing. As for what you think of me, I don't care what you think. I don't know you from Adam you are a random person I have never met.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
I think the fact that at the end of next season we are going to either renew his contract to something like 50% more than he’s on now, or let him play out his final year with him becoming a free agent, means the FO doesn’t get an A grade for this.
If we’d signed him on a 6 year deal at the same average salary, or signed him a year earlier at a lot less, then I’d be more generous with any praise.
I do think the organisation drafts well, but on the whole, we don’t do a great job when resigning them… Jerry overpays players he’s drafted.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
All they will do is extend him.

This isn't hard.
Oh for sure as long as we don't see Dak entirely fall off a cliff in terms of performance this year or next they are sure to give him an extension. That 40AAV all of a sudden becomes 50AAV though.

That is the issue I've had with the Dak deal. It's not the money, it's not the player, but the length. In terms of cap the Cowboys never get ahead other than pushing money into future years. I could care less how much Dak gets paid from Jerry. I'd rather Dak get it than Jerry just sit on it, but a longer deal would have given more cap space flexibility.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Just someones opinion just like many others agreed and disagreed with but in this case seeing where the market has gone...yeah nice job. The question still looms large for me though, did they pay the right guy.

Creeper

Reaction score
Had Dallas gotten the deal done a year earlier instead of franchise tag it would have cost us 35 mill. I will be the 1st to say, NFL QB are overpaid, not just a few but everyone of them. QB clearly is important but the QB also must rely on so many others to do their jobs so that he can do his job, not to mention he has no control over defense or special teams.

The NFL has made QB that important that they take up 25% of the CAP now. It is absurd. I predict the league will change because this is unsustainable. If QB contracts keep going up at this pace at some point they will be 50% of the CAP.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The NFL has made QB that important that they take up 25% of the CAP now. It is absurd. I predict the league will change because this is unsustainable. If QB contracts keep going up at this pace at some point they will be 50% of the CAP.

I agree, I think the position is critical but I also think it is being vastly overpaid.

Creeper

Reaction score
As one of the naysayers about Dak's contract I feel compelled to respond.

First, you cannot ignore the impact Dak's contract had on the negotiations between teams and their QBs all over the league. Imagine Russell Wilson's opening statement to Denver: "If Dak is getting $40 million I should get $50!". And he would have a good argument.

Maybe this never happened, but I am sure agents look at what other players get paid and use that to determine what their clients should get paid.

But more importantly, it is the length of the contract Dak signed that is an issue. Had he signed for 10 years, or even 8 years, for $40 million, I would praise Jerry and Stephen. The length of the contract was something Dak apparently held fast on. He would not sign a deal of more than 4 years. This hurts the Cowboys in 2 ways. First it reduced the ability to restructure and save CAP money. Jerry is feeling this now only 2 years into Dak's contract. Dak has a $50 million CAP hit next year. Jerry cannot restructure him again or next year the CAP hit will be even worse with only 1 more year to restructure - so in other words restructuring is not an option. As it is, the Cowboys have pushed out almost $22 million of pro-rated bonus into the two voided years of Dak's contract. Even if Dak doesn't play for the Cowboys in 2025, they have to eat $18 million of that as dead money.

Which brings me to the bigger problem. After 2024 Dak has to be extended or resigned to a new deal. (or let go). If holding out for $40 million worked the last time, how much will Dak hold out for next time? $60 million? There is a good possibility that over the 10 years of Patrick Mahomes contract, Dak might actually wind up getting paid more than Patrick. We'll have to see how that plays out. My gut tells me, the next time Dak negotiates he will want a long term deal meaning Dallas will have money on the books going into Dak's late 30s maybe even early 40s.

I have a feeling, Jerry will approach Dak after this season about an extension. This will give Jerry some room to spread out Dak's CAP impact. We could see Dak sign a 6 year extension after 2022 or 2023.

Jerry and I will probably both pass from this earth before Dak's contract is off the Cowboys' books.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Did we win?
I'm looking for a win.
Where is our win?

Dangit site owner!
I want my win!
What happened?

We didn't win.
Did we?
We didn't win.

So it's back to Jack Daniels' Old Number 7.
Thanks.

Flamma

Reaction score
Conjecture. I give Brad Johnson credit as well. They were on teams that won super bowls and the QB is no small part of that path.

I don't disagree. But that doesn't make Brad Johnson better than Dan Marino. Nor does it make him or a QB like Nick Foles deserving of a top end contract. And my point still stands. Just about any starting QB in the league at that time could have won with that Tampa team. That said, give him all the credit you want.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Cowboys would trade Dak before they cut him. If Wince can get a 1st Dak should be able to get two.

No trade clause. Dak would have to waive it. Part of what makes the deal so 1 sided in his favor.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't disagree. But that doesn't make Brad Johnson better than Dan Marino. Nor does it make him or a QB like Nick Foles deserving of a top end contract. And my point still stands. Just about any starting QB in the league at that time could have won with that Tampa team. That said, give him all the credit you want.
I never said anything like that.

Using Dan Marino as your example is a little TOO easy...doncha think?

And you are STILL using conjecture with your "any QB in tampa". The fact is it didn't happen with ANY QB ....it just happened to be brad Johnson and no matter what your disparaging opinion is you can never take that away.

Take a lot to get to and win the super bowl...it is a battle throughout the whole season. Take away all the credit you want.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
My evaluation skills are second to few.

Again, watch the guy play. SO inconsistent.

So he doesn't win, doesn't throw Tds, what does he do exactly?
Carr did take the Raiders to ONE playoff in his 8 year NFL career, and lost. And to think, he had Amari Cooper too. The Dak haters would ♡ to have him. Fits their narrative perfectly!
:lmao2:

Reactions: Ken

terra

Reaction score
I never said anything like that.

Using Dan Marino as your example is a little TOO easy...doncha think?

And you are STILL using conjecture with your "any QB in tampa". The fact is it didn't happen with ANY QB ....it just happened to be brad Johnson and no matter what your disparaging opinion is you can never take that away.

Take a lot to get to and win the super bowl...it is a battle throughout the whole season. Take away all the credit you want.
There are a number of great QBs that never got a ring. Jim Kelly being one of the most recent great ones that retired without one.
Brad Johnson was a real lucky player; right time and right place and he got a ring.
But for anyone to claim he had much to do about that ring other then driving the bus is moronic.

terra

Reaction score
Carr did take the Raiders to ONE playoff in his 8 year NFL career, and lost. And to think, he had Amari Cooper too. The Dak haters would ♡ to have him. Fits their narrative perfectly!
:lmao2:
An excellent QB that landed in a bad place. Archie Manning anyone?
Your so called point is pathetic.
AND there is a very good chance that like Romo Dak will end his career without a ring because he was a Cowboy imprisoned by the Jones circus.
Tony could have left and chose not to; I wonder how much he regrets not trying for greener pasture; looking at Demarcus WHO DID GET A RING ELSEWHERE.
I wonder if Dak might seriously think about telling Jerry to stick it after looking what happened to Romo.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Just someones opinion just like many others agreed and disagreed with but in this case seeing where the market has gone...yeah nice job. The question still looms large for me though, did they pay the right guy.
Goff, Wentzie?!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are a number of great QBs that never got a ring. Jim Kelly being one of the most recent great ones that retired without one.
Brad Johnson was a real lucky player; right time and right place and he got a ring.
But for anyone to claim he had much to do about that ring other then driving the bus is moronic.
I never said he put the team on his shoulders and won a super bowl by himself. Arguing that is my case is "MORONIC".

I never argued he was better than Jim Kelly or Dan Marino. Arguing that is my claim is "MORONIC".

Shall we start listing QB's that ruined a super bowl hunt? That would be a nice time waster.

Driving the bus right into the super bowl? Well give him the credit for it then. I'd pose that Eli Manning is WAY luckier than Brad Johnson.