CZ. Meet Trey Lance

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s certainly going to get a chance to show something.

Lance was so young when drafted - not quite 21 when the niners picked him in 2021. And he’s just 24 now. The thing that I believe has hampered Lance is his lack of experience coming into the NFL. He had only started 17 games in his college career when drafted- all at N. Dakota State, so he wasn’t playing against top competition every week. Being “NFL ready” as a young QB usually includes starting at least 24 games.

Contrast that to a guy like Michael Pennix Jr, who was drafted 8th by Atlanta this year, who believe it or not is one day older than Trey Lance, and goes into his rookie year in Atl having started 45 games as a college QB. Even Caleb Williams who came out as a Jr is 22 and has started 33 games against Power 5 competition.

Lance has always been a developmental project who has lots of raw talent but has not shown he can master the mental intricacies of being an NFL QB.

rambo2

Reaction score

Lance was so young when drafted - not quite 21 when the niners picked him in 2021. And he’s just 24 now. The thing that I believe has hampered Lance is his lack of experience coming into the NFL. He had only started 17 games in his college career when drafted- all at N. Dakota State, so he wasn’t playing against top competition every week. Being “NFL ready” as a young QB usually includes starting at least 24 games.

Contrast that to a guy like Michael Pennix Jr, who was drafted 8th by Atlanta this year, who believe it or not is one day older than Trey Lance, and goes into his rookie year in Atl having started 45 games as a college QB. Even Caleb Williams who came out as a Jr is 22 and has started 33 games against Power 5 competition.

Lance has always been a developmental project who has lots of raw talent but has not shown he can master the mental intricacies of being an NFL QB.
It's good to have a 1st round qb on the roster. A lot of upside. It will be interesting to see what happens with him. I expect him to play well in the preseason. He should get some kind of offer from the Cowboys.

plymkr

Reaction score
It's good to have a 1st round qb on the roster. A lot of upside. It will be interesting to see what happens with him. I expect him to play well in the preseason. He should get some kind of offer from the Cowboys.
One bad thing with Lance is he hasn’t played much. One good thing with Lance is he hasn’t played much so I don’t see any other teams wanting to sign him for big money, or even big money for a backup. It would make the most sense financially and professionally for Lance to sign with us as a backup or for backup money. I’m hoping we resign him to the same type of deal that Rush signed for.

plymkr

Reaction score
The only way that happens is if Dak is injured. You’re dreaming a silly dream if you think Dak will be benched for Lance.
Or if we get knocked out of playoff contention. If we go 2-9 or something then I see a situation where Trey starts without Dak being injured.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
One bad thing with Lance is he hasn’t played much. One good thing with Lance is he hasn’t played much so I don’t see any other teams wanting to sign him for big money, or even big money for a backup. It would make the most sense financially and professionally for Lance to sign with us as a backup or for backup money. I’m hoping we resign him to the same type of deal that Rush signed for.
It would make the most sense for Lance to play in the USL for a few years. It's the only way he'll be able to develop.

visionary

Reaction score

I really believe the Cowboys plan is to let Lance play the majority of preseason. Then play him in regular season games when it is out of hand or we have a huge lead to give is s big enough sample size to see if we can let Dak walk or not

May not work but i think thats their plan unless Lance falls on his face in TC or preseason. Then they will be scrambling to overpay Dak

kevm3

Reaction score
I just want to see how Trey does in a preseason game or two

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Or if we get knocked out of playoff contention. If we go 2-9 or something then I see a situation where Trey starts without Dak being injured.
If that happens that would mean the team has moved on from Dak and he’ll move on from them in free agency. No way is he coming back if he’s benched. However, I don’t see that happening. He’s never played poorly enough to be benched.

plymkr

Reaction score
It would make the most sense for Lance to play in the USL for a few years. It's the only way he'll be able to develop.
I agree completely. I really wish he would have played in this ongoing season of the UFL instead of training at the Star. He needs game reps, as many as possible and as soon as possible. I don’t know the rules of a guy can be under contract with an NFL team and play in the UFL but I would have liked that to happen. Or if we could “suspend” his contract for a year or two and let him play in the UFL and then his rights would still be ours. But I 100% agree with you that playing in the UFL would have been his best move. I don’t think 2 or 3 preseason games is enough to base a decision on.

plymkr

Reaction score
If that happens that would mean the team has moved on from Dak and he’ll move on from them in free agency. No way is he coming back if he’s benched. However, I don’t see that happening. He’s never played poorly enough to be benched.
If that happened then I feel the locker room would be split and it would be a known product Dak is done and everyone kind of quit. I don’t think Dak would play bad enough to get benched either. I think the team would have to collapse mentally. Hopefully this scenario does not play out.