CZ. Meet Trey Lance

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If that happened then I feel the locker room would be split and it would be a known product Dak is done and everyone kind of quit. I don’t think Dak would play bad enough to get benched either. I think the team would have to collapse mentally. Hopefully this scenario does not play out.
The only way I see us going 2-9 is if Dak gets injured early in the season and his replacement sucks.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He’s certainly going to get a chance to show something.

Lance was so young when drafted - not quite 21 when the niners picked him in 2021. And he’s just 24 now. The thing that I believe has hampered Lance is his lack of experience coming into the NFL. He had only started 17 games in his college career when drafted- all at N. Dakota State, so he wasn’t playing against top competition every week. Being “NFL ready” as a young QB usually includes starting at least 24 games.

Contrast that to a guy like Michael Pennix Jr, who was drafted 8th by Atlanta this year, who believe it or not is one day older than Trey Lance, and goes into his rookie year in Atl having started 45 games as a college QB. Even Caleb Williams who came out as a Jr is 22 and has started 33 games against Power 5 competition.

Lance has always been a developmental project who has lots of raw talent but has not shown he can master the mental intricacies of being an NFL QB.
so essentially they over valued Lance and he didn't have the experience to be picked top 5. any other year, he probably drops to 5th, 6th or 7th round.

got it! :thumbup:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Wait for it....3...2...1.
Screenshot-20240520-070935-Gallery.jpg

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just wanted you to get to know lance a little bit more. Hes a quiet fellow.

Dont bicker too much.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don't see them going 2 and 9 no matter what happens.
It’s not likely unless Dak gets injured in the first three weeks of the season and his replacement plays poorly and our defense sucks under Zimmer. Dak was playing outstanding in 2020 but ended up 2-3 when he was injured and we finished 6-10 because none of the other QBs could play and our defense under Nolan was historically bad. With all the players we’ve lost and our lack of activity in free agency we won’t know where this team is until the start of the regular season. Things could go sideways even with Dak if the young players don’t play well.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I suspect that they will sign Dak, but if they don't, Lance could turn out to be a good option.
I guess there’s that possibility. That’s what I thought as well when the trade was announced.

Conversely, if they end up re-signing Dak, it’s likely that Lance never plays any meaningful minutes in Dallas. If that’s the case, that 4th round pick was wasted.

It will be interesting to see which way things go.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Lance has always been a developmental project who has lots of raw talent but has not shown he can master the mental intricacies of being an NFL QB.
This is true but it is very hard to believe a QB guru as smart and seasoned as Kyle Shanahan could be so wrong about this kid's evaluation.