Dak’s Inaccurate Myth is just that, a Myth

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
No one expects perfection, but he does have issues with certain throws, his throw to the sideline to Lamb was probably one of the most perfect passes I have seen him throw. Accuracy in the NFL is about consistency, just because you get it to a receiver where he has a chance to catch the ball is not accuracy. Accuracy is not just completion percentage, awesome he gets it to a guy but if he is supposed to hit the guy in stride and throws behind him is that really "accurate" even though the guy stopped and reached back and caught it. Not every throw will be on target but a lot of his throws are late, low, behind his receivers that is not accuracy.
how often does he throw behind? comparing in a vaccum to meet a fan's expectations vs. reality of the rest of QBs in the NFL. nobody is perfec. its about as you said consistency. he is not a top 5. so m expecations aren't for him to be mahomes, allen or brady. yes, he needs to play like he did against minn. btw, Dallas was top 8 in YAC in 2021. 11th in 2019. over a season, it will normalize. so he does hit them where they can catch and run.

but again, I agree. I need to see more consistency.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Calling Dak inaccurate is just lazy and dumb.
He has legit issues but accuracy and field reading are his strengths.

His real "issues":
Lacks quick release
Has average arm strength
Very footwork dependent
Lacks escape-ability and first step quickness.

jrumann59

Reaction score
how often does he throw behind? comparing in a vaccum to meet a fan's expectations vs. reality of the rest of QBs in the NFL. nobody is perfec. its about as you said consistency. he is not a top 5. so m expecations aren't for him to be mahomes, allen or brady. yes, he needs to play like he did against minn. btw, Dallas was top 8 in YAC in 2021. 11th in 2019. over a season, it will normalize. so he does hit them where they can catch and run.

but again, I agree. I need to see more consistency.
The issue is he can be extremely streaky in his throws he can go quarters looking liek the perfect QB and then he goes quarters where you are screaming at the TV. If he evened out the highs and lows I think most fans would even out as well. He is capable of looking mahomes and also capable of looking like average. label me me what you must but I think I have always been fair about Dak, I don't think he is "GREAT" but I don't think he sucks either. I think he is an above average QB you if he gets on a hot streak can play with most anyone but I also think he is prone to playing "outside" himself. I like he is moving more I thought last year he tried to hard to prove he could be a passer, no is asking him to be Lamar or Murray but at least use his athleticism to get you something if nothing is there.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The issue is he can be extremely streaky in his throws he can go quarters looking liek the perfect QB and then he goes quarters where you are screaming at the TV. If he evened out the highs and lows I think most fans would even out as well. He is capable of looking mahomes and also capable of looking like average. label me me what you must but I think I have always been fair about Dak, I don't think he is "GREAT" but I don't think he sucks either. I think he is an above average QB you if he gets on a hot streak can play with most anyone but I also think he is prone to playing "outside" himself. I like he is moving more I thought last year he tried to hard to prove he could be a passer, no is asking him to be Lamar or Murray but at least use his athleticism to get you something if nothing is there.
I don't disagree. this is very fair assessment and I agree. I like to see more consistency. I do scratch my head on some of his throws, usually when he is either lazy with it on shor throws when he throws to the feet, or sometimes just puts too much body english on it and zips it too hard....when he is more relaxed and doesn't feel he needs to make plays, is actually when he makes plays.

one thing that's missing since he signed his contract, he used to come in late in the games, 4th quarter and all of a sudden he would just be focused and lift his game and make play after play. since 2019 that's been missing. his first three years he was very good at it, and as a result had the highest come back wins and 4th quarter come backs in the period.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I don't disagree. this is very fair assessment and I agree. I like to see more consistency. I do scratch my head on some of his throws, usually when he is either lazy with it on shor throws when he throws to the feet, or sometimes just puts too much body english on it and zips it too hard....when he is more relaxed and doesn't feel he needs to make plays, is actually when he makes plays.

one thing that's missing since he signed his contract, he used to come in late in the games, 4th quarter and all of a sudden he would just be focused and lift his game and make play after play. since 2019 that's been missing. his first three years he was very good at it, and as a result had the highest come back wins and 4th quarter come backs in the period.
I can agree with all of that.

Hadenough

Reaction score
:huh:

that made zero sense. nada. maybe you are winning because you played good. made good throws... I don't know, maybe its just me.....but usually when you play good, you get better results.

And here I thought it was much easier to throw when you're way behind and the other team is in prevent for the whole game.. Can't believe I lost the goalpost again..
When your up by 3 scores it's easier mentally to throw that slant into traffic in the endzone than when your in a tight game. And yes sometimes when being throttled and the game is outta hand the defense eases up and the pressure is gone and you just start slinging the football.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Again what qb doesn't miss throws? Yes, top qb's even miss the "easy" ones.

Edit:
At first you said the wr's were 10 yards away, now they were 5 yards away? You're just trying to make Dak look worse than he was. Goal post moving in action...
5 yard passes he’s 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. QBs miss a pass here and there, not consistently like this guy does. If the stars aren’t fully aligned for him he is trash. Never won a big game, and has constantly **** the bed at the end of games with a chance to win. Most times can’t even get the ball past the 50, a bunch like last week couldn’t even get a first down. 3 plays 3 yards punt that’s what he did with 2:30 left to play game tied with at least 2 timeouts. Good QBs get at least far enough for a FG attempt, this guy can’t even get a first down. Lol, what a joke.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
well you are wrong in several ways....

completion percentage is a measure of accuracy because it allows the reciever to make the catch, if you were truly inaccurate, that number would be much lower. now, you may argue that throws should be 6 inches this way and 12 inches the other way, but if the ball is not where its catchable. I won't argue that.....and you may argue the WRs make spactacular catches, and that's an exception (thus its spactacular) than the norm. and its a lot of WRs, not just a couple of them, so it normalizes....

the fact is that the dak detractors have not been able to provide any stats, facts, or anything that proves Dak is not accurate....just the old "eye test".

Reality is if a QB is inaccurate it will show up somewhere. at least Dak homers can point to something....where Dak critics have nothing to point to (well, sorry, yes the eye test)

further more, dallas was 8th in YAC in 2021. they are 26th this year, but there is the 5 Rush games...in 2019, dallas was 11th, in 2018 they were 18, but they were top 10 the last 8 games after cooper (do you really want me to give you the list of WR in first half of 2018)...so the YAC is a good indicator of WR being in position to run after the catch..

so here is another version of what you said above, which is more accurate (no pun intended)

Dak Critic: " Dak i s not accurate"
Dak Homer: "how do you say that? do you have anything that shows that? "
Dak Critic: "My eye test, Accuracy is a lot more than completion percentage (which involves a lot of other factors). It also has to do with ball placement, "
Dak Homer: " but how do you know, how can you show that?"
Dak critic:" my eye test because It also has to do with ball placement, allowing the receiver to keep running, or to not turn back for the ball, or not extend their hands so much, etc"
Dak Homer:" but also his YAC is ranked high in the NFL compared to other QBs! so how can you say that?"
Dak Critic:" my eye test. its because with Dak, its all the WRs work for YAC, not because of Dak"

Well, no, I'm not wrong.

Completion percentage is not a measure of accuracy, though accuracy does play a part in completion percentage. They are linked, but one is not a direct measure of the other.

And yes, receivers sometimes have to make plays on less than perfect balls. It was never stated otherwise. Nor was it stated that all balls have to lead a receiver either.

You dismiss the eye test, and appear to want to depend solely on stats. That is not quality analysis. Quality analysis will depend upon both. Examining plays visually is an important part of any analysis that would have any substance to it. It is just as valid, and probably more valid, evidence than just pure numbers. Visual examination gives a much clearer picture of where the numbers come from.
There are many factors that go into completion percentage, just as there are many factors that go into YAC statistics.
A quality analysis tries to look at as many elements as possible to form a better picture.

And, yes, different people will have varying definitions of what exactly it means to be accurate.

Your less accurate version may hold some water if you weren't in a thread started by someone solely focused on completion percentage while we're in...*checks notes*...Dak's seventh season.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

You want to shack up with Dak, huh? You are so in love with a man, and that's ok, I suppose, but have you thought about treatment about that? Aren't there any women where you live? Besides, Dak likes his ladies in skimpy outfits, can you wear a mini-dress?

mardwin

Reaction score
Dak is whatever. Stop it with these Pom Pom threads.

We’ll go as far as our run game and Parsons can carry us. Dak is not that big of a factor unless he starts throwing a ton which means we will likely lose.

How can we stick this to every Dak thread?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Well, no, I'm not wrong.

Completion percentage is not a measure of accuracy, though accuracy does play a part in completion percentage. They are linked, but one is not a direct measure of the other.

And yes, receivers sometimes have to make plays on less than perfect balls. It was never stated otherwise. Nor was it stated that all balls have to lead a receiver either.

You dismiss the eye test, and appear to want to depend solely on stats. That is not quality analysis. Quality analysis will depend upon both. Examining plays visually is an important part of any analysis that would have any substance to it. It is just as valid, and probably more valid, evidence than just pure numbers. Visual examination gives a much clearer picture of where the numbers come from.
There are many factors that go into completion percentage, just as there are many factors that go into YAC statistics.
A quality analysis tries to look at as many elements as possible to form a better picture.

And, yes, different people will have varying definitions of what exactly it means to be accurate.

Your less accurate version may hold some water if you weren't in a thread started by someone solely focused on completion percentage while we're in...*checks notes*...Dak's seventh season.

completion percentage is not the only measure of accuracy, but its an indicator and an important indicator. just because it doesn't fit your narrative, you can't dismiss it.

glad we agree on WRs having to make plays. with that said, completion percentage and YAC combined are a better indicator (there is more) and we were 8th last year in YAC, 11th in 2019 (dismissing 2020 as I didn't do the break down).

and whose eye test? yours. do we rely on a biased eye test? or someone who has played the game at NFL level and knows more than anyone on this board?

so my apologies for not trusting your eye test (and nor mine).

Last edited:

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Why not? Many people blamed Rush for the Philly loss.
Rush had 3 picks in that game and never had the lead.

Unlike the GB game where Dallas had a 14 point lead in the 4th quarter.

If you are going to give all the credit to run game and defense for wins they take the blame when they fail to win.

It's a team effort or it's not, regardless of agenda. You win as a team, you lose as a team. From coaches to players

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
When your up by 3 scores it's easier mentally to throw that slant into traffic in the endzone than when your in a tight game. And yes sometimes when being throttled and the game is outta hand the defense eases up and the pressure is gone and you just start slinging the football.
but that's the whole point. you went up by 3 scores, so you must have played well to get up by three scores.....

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I love Patrick Mahomes but he can look awful on some drives.
Same with Rodgers.
This thought QBs look great 100% of the time is just silly.

Can Dak be streakier than most? Possibly.
His game is built around pre-snap reads.
Once he has a defense figured out is over for them.

But that's very Peyton Manning and very few knocked him for it.

At this point I don't care about ANY of Dak's detractors.
The 3-4 weeks a year they can crow mean nothing compared to the 12 weeks or so and total stats Dak puts up that leave him top 10 every year.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Pretty much my issue with Dak.
He needs to be more consistent.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Calling Dak inaccurate is just lazy and dumb.
He has legit issues but accuracy and field reading are his strengths.

His real "issues":
Lacks quick release
Has average arm strength
Very footwork dependent
Lacks escape-ability and first step quickness.

It's not inaccurate and not dumb and in fact, it's lazy not to take into account data that suggests otherwise.

Perhaps you missed in all the posts in this thread that Dak has the lowest 3rd down QB rating of any QB in the NFL since 2005.
That's a startling statistic and can only be owned by the fact he is not accurate on the most crucial down in football which is labeled as a stressful situation.

Also, as we have seen, this stressful situation scenario plays out in games where he throws more than 27 times, when he has to come from behind or is playing teams with winning records where his record is 18-24.

Like most QB's, when you take them out of their comfort zone they will not be as effective, but Dak is not immune from criticism that is warranted and accuracy is a valid component of that criticism when he needs to step up the most.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
5 yard passes he’s 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. QBs miss a pass here and there, not consistently like this guy does. If the stars aren’t fully aligned for him he is trash. Never won a big game, and has constantly **** the bed at the end of games with a chance to win. Most times can’t even get the ball past the 50, a bunch like last week couldn’t even get a first down. 3 plays 3 yards punt that’s what he did with 2:30 left to play game tied with at least 2 timeouts. Good QBs get at least far enough for a FG attempt, this guy can’t even get a first down. Lol, what a joke.
So by what you just said...

Top qb's rarely/never miss passes and they also never lose... lol ok.

Hadenough

Reaction score
but that's the whole point. you went up by 3 scores, so you must have played well to get up by three scores.....
Had Dallas not been running the ball well this game would of probably been an L. Dak rarely wins a game where Dallas rushes less than 100 yards. And when you get a couple rushing scores than you can pass because you now have confidence.

streetcredit

Reaction score
I'm still waiting on that 3 game "played like a bottom 5 QB" stretch... Dance around till the band is all dead.. but you won't post any evidence to back up your claims.. Because you can't.. it doesn't exist. But we all know you will never let reality get in the way of your narrative. So color me done with you and your nonsense.
repost
Compare his on target%/bad pass%, it's terrible. Most guys have 5 on target for every bad pass, Dak is at 3.18, only Tannehill is worse at 3.15. Rush is at 4.48