Dak’s Inaccurate Myth is just that, a Myth

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
A case of stat abuse. Guys like rocko think they are so clever....they dug up a stat they love. But he doesn't have the ability or the inclination to drill down on it.

It doesn't mean those that do, aren't fans. Or don't appreciate it. You are so right...a lot of laziness about it.
It proves he’s not inaccurate like you Dak haters believe.

plasticman

Reaction score
Wait.... don't we hate Tony Romo?
It's best to look at the perceptions of other fans and eliminate the most radical 10% on both sides. Think of it as eliminating useless clutter like "He was garbage!" or "He's a first ballot HOFer!"

Looking at a more reasonable perspective, you get "He was a great quarterback" to "He was an average quarterback". You don't hate him and you don't worship him.

streetcredit

Reaction score
Since the NFL merger in 1970, there has been 141 NFL quarterbacks that have 2000 pass attempts.

Dak is ranked #2 all time completion percentage, minimum 2000 pass attempts. He is three hundredths of a percentage point behind Drew Brees.

Not only is any narrative only his inaccuracy a myth, the opposite is true. Dak Prescott is one of the most accurate passers in NFL history.

Furthermore, Dak is ranked #4 all time in lowest INT's percentages, behind only Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, and Tom Brady.

As far as the quality of his throws, Dak is ranked #12 in average yards per attempt, Roger Staubach is #11, Tony Romo is #4.

Dak is one of five Cowboys quarterbacks ranked in the top 25 for touchdown percentage. He is ranked 22nd in a four way tie with Dan Marino, Jim Kelly and Brett Favre.
So do you think he's the 2nd best QB since 1970, or does that mean these QB stats are worthless?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It proves he’s not inaccurate like you Dak haters believe.
If Dak was as accurate as YOU want to believe....that pass to Noah would have been a td.

I accept Dak for what he is...a good qb with some specific flaws. Not unusual. But I'm not blowing smoke up his butt either.

We can win...with Dak just doing what he does. He's not the best ever...it's dumb to paint him so. He doesn't have to be. I accept him as is and cheer him on. He doesn't need fake smoke hlien up his az and neither do we. In fact it's counter productive.

But...you do what you need to do...if that is how you roll. You should help me defend Zeke like you do Dak.... since yer such a grand team player.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
If Dak was as accurate as YOU want to believe....that pass to Noah would have been a td.

I accept Dak for what he is...a good qb with some specific flaws. Not unusual. But I'm not blowing smoke up his butt either.

We can win...with Dak just doing what he does. He's not the best ever...it's dumb to paint him so. He doesn't have to be. I accept him as is and cheer him on. He doesn't need fake smoke hlien up his az and neither do we. In fact it's counter productive.

But...you do what you need to do...if that is how you roll. You should help me defend Zeke like you do Dak.... since yer such a grand team player.
We can just agree to disagree.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I think most of us have seen the videos and the competitions. When put purely in a throwing competition, Dak isn't as accurate as other NFL QB's. During games we have all seen where he is a little behind or over a receiver. It happens to him more than other QB's. He isn't that accurate.

Completion percentage is a factor of two things though: Who you decide to throw to and how accurately you throw it to him.

Let's be honest, just about everyone on this forum could have a near 100% completion percentage throwing to a wide open guy with no pressure on us. Its called "playing catch". Even a yard high or to the side is going to get caught.

Frequently bad QB's are guys with strong accurate arms who consistently throw it at the wrong time to the wrong person. Mitch Trubisky is an example of this.

Dak's strength is usually that he takes the plays that are there. It has frequently pissed people off and triggered nicknames like "Dink and Dak". Regardless, when Dak is on his game he isn't trying to thread the needle into tight coverage and as a result, he consistently has a good completion percentage.

Anyhow, they track this kind of stuff
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/passing_advanced.htm

Dak is 30th in the NFL in "on target %". This isn't some made up complaint.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's best to look at the perceptions of other fans and eliminate the most radical 10% on both sides. Think of it as eliminating useless clutter like "He was garbage!" or "He's a first ballot HOFer!"

Looking at a more reasonable perspective, you get "He was a great quarterback" to "He was an average quarterback". You don't hate him and you don't worship him.
I admire Tony for overachieving. Undrafted qb becoming one of the best of his day among vsome very good QBs. With some suspect players? What #1 wrs did he have? Miles Austin? Ogletree,? Clayton?

I appreciate him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dak is whatever. Stop it with these Pom Pom threads.

We’ll go as far as our run game and Parsons can carry us. Dak is not that big of a factor unless he starts throwing a ton which means we will likely lose.
When the playoffs come around you can’t hide your quarterback. Your quarterback is going to have to make timely throws. He may not have to throw for 300 yards but you will not win if Dak isn’t a factor.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where’s your proof he has the lowest 3rd down QB rating in the NFL since 2005. Link?
I did recently come across a surprising stat.....Dak had 5 4th qtr comebacks in 2016. And 5 since then.

I know.....team stats. Nobody else has that stat in their collumn. It's one of ,"those," stats that can be abused. But....he gets credit for the 2016 ,,5 comebacks.... therefore credit for lack of them since.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
When the playoffs come around you can’t hide your quarterback. Your quarterback is going to have to make timely throws. He may not have to throw for 300 yards but you will not win if Dak isn’t a factor.

Eh, worse QBs than Dak have won before.

We’ll go as far as the defense and run game take us.

Being able to turn around and give it to Pollard will give us a big boost. I have to believe some playaction passing should be happening soon.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eh, worse QBs than Dak have won before.

We’ll go as far as the defense and run game take us.

Being able to turn around and give it to Pollard will give us a big boost. I have to believe some playaction passing should be happening soon.
Pollard giving us a huge advantage... especially in space.

Zeke and Tony? Fugettaboutit!