News: Dak 7: Prescott still motivated by QBs taken before him

Swagger

Reaction score
live seen him outplay Wilson (the last time they met in the playoffs, as I recall). And what had Stafford done to “prove himself in key moments” six years in?
Wilson outplayed Prescott in that play off you refer to on an inferior team and with a coach who wouldn't let him cook. Prescott has played on better teams than Stafford during their first six years in. How did Detriot get on last season without Stafford?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I saw him outplay Herbert last year. And I’ve seen him outplay Stanford more than once. But given the shortness of your list, it seems we now agree that he’s among the best in football.
You're as clueless as the crowd your trying to fit into here.

DCCBFan

Reaction score
Nick Foles outplayed Brady in a Superbowl so using your rationale I guess that makes a former college basketball star a better quarterback than Tom Brady?

No. But it does go to show how hard it is to win a Superbowl, even for Brady. Dak has performed at a consistently high level over a long period of time. That’s obvious, to all of us really. I believe he’s got a playoff run in him. If so, that would make him just about as good as anyone in football (Brady excluded). But the idea that he has no chance of doing that, despite what he’s shown over a fairly substantial body of work, strikes me as silly.

Swagger

Reaction score
No. But it does go to show how hard it is to win a Superbowl, even for Brady. Dak has performed at a consistently high level over a long period of time. That’s obvious, to all of us really. I believe he’s got a playoff run in him. If so, that would make him just about as good as anyone in football (Brady excluded). But the idea that he has no chance of doing that, despite what he’s shown over a fairly substantial body of work, strikes me as silly.
List the notable games against good opposition where Prescott has been the difference between winning and losing? I can think of Tampa Bay which may have been as far back as his rookie season when he used his legs as a dual-threat. He was excellent against the Vikings a few years back and last season against Tampa Bay in losing efforts. But the sad truth is that the offensive success has been about the strength of the O-Line/Zeke back when he had the pop as opposed to Dak Prescott's arm. Compare that with what Joe Burrow was able to do last season behind a horrific o line.

Swagger

Reaction score
Few, Marino comes to mind because he was picked down the line in the 1st.

However, that should not be held against him. He started off 3rd on the depth chart and 2 injuries put him in the 1st spot with not much prep time as the #1 and he responded to the call.

He was the best QB pick in that 2016 draft and it was luck that he ended up a Cowboy because who knows what they'd have ended up with? They wanted Lynch and Cook ahead of him.

I do respect how he responded and he has outperformed his draft pick but to even comment about being passed over in that draft is ridiculous to me.

I know you a quite a few others wish he were not the Cowboys QB but I wonder how y'all feel about just who they might have ended up with because they've proven they have to get lucky with that position. Some don't want him and some feel fortunate they have him and not one of the Tier 3 or 4 QB's.

MC. just take a good long look at that rogue's gallery between Aikman and Romo, think that could still be continuing?
Well the flip side of the coin is that the Cowboys could have subsequently ended up with Mahomes or Herbert had they taken Lynch or Cook...

DCCBFan

Reaction score
Wilson outplayed Prescott in that play off you refer to on an inferior team and with a coach who wouldn't let him cook. Prescott has played on better teams than Stafford during their first six years in. How did Detriot get on last season without Stafford?

I seem to recall Dak making some pretty big plays down the stretch in that playoff game against Wilson. And better teams or not, Stafford has lost to Dak more than once, and has had precisely one playoff run in his career. Which puts him close to the very top of the league. Dak can join him (and Wilson and others) with a good run this year. Personally, I’m rooting for that. Those who say it can’t happen either haven’t been paying attention or are willfully blind.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure most of us have a pretty good idea of who the clueless one in this conversation is.
The only thing that will ease the sting of the losses this season will be laughing at you and your buddies trying to figure out what's wrong.

You can stay blind all you want, but I won't stop trying to open your eyes.

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I'd prefer he be motivated by trying to be better than Mahomes, Rodgers, Burrow, Allen, Herbert, Stafford, and Brady instead of Wentz, Goff, Lynch, Hackenberg, Brissett, Kessler, and Cook.

But then again, we are talking about Dak Prescott here, and I can easily see him being satisfied and patting himself on the back with just having the best stats out of a very weak QB draft class.
yeah I am surprised he would say this now lol.
He has proven he was the best out of all those guys, 2-3 years ago. The only one who still is going is goff, and now that he is in the detroit hole, he wont ever
be able to climb out of that.

let me add that we all , or many complain about and bash dak, but it could be worse,
what if he was a rapper and mumbler like joseph, getting involved in DB shootings,
or fondling 25 or more massage girls, demanding to have a say in what coaches are hired,
etc etc.
people will say watson is better than dak, but watson hasnt even won 1 playoff game has he?
Dak is lacking, but he isnt as bad as some make him out to be.
What he needs is better coaches, but unless payton comes here that wont happen.

As you say dak should have forgot all that long ago, and be looking to do better himself.

Last edited:

Swagger

Reaction score
I seem to recall Dak making some pretty big plays down the stretch in that playoff game against Wilson. And better teams or not, Stafford has lost to Dak more than once, and has had precisely one playoff run in his career. Which puts him close to the very top of the league. Dak can join him (and Wilson and others) with a good run this year. Personally, I’m rooting for that. Those who say it can’t happen either haven’t been paying attention or are willfully blind.
Dak's biggest play of the game vs the Seahawks in the play off game was with his legs which he struggled to use last season. Stafford had one season on a very good team and won a Superbowl. He played on a good Lions team in 2014 but the Cowboys led by Tony Romo were able to overcome them in the play offs. Further, Stafford played in the same division as a franchise run as well as the Packers with Rodgers at QB, in reality it's silly to compare Stafford and Prescott given the dross the latter has faced in the NFC East.

DCCBFan

Reaction score
List the notable games against good opposition where Prescott has been the difference between winning and losing? I can think of Tampa Bay which may have been as far back as his rookie season when he used his legs as a dual-threat. He was excellent against the Vikings a few years back and last season against Tampa Bay in losing efforts. But the sad truth is that the offensive success has been about the strength of the O-Line/Zeke back when he had the pop as opposed to Dak Prescott's arm. Compare that with what Joe Burrow was able to do last season behind a horrific o line.

At this point, Dak has played in a substantial number of games. And he has a pretty good record. Statistically, he is one of the better quarterbacks all time. For his career, he has a significant number of fourth quarter comebacks and game winning drives. Taking all of these objective facts into account, the argument that he’s not a good quarterback is not a serious argument. The argument seems to be a never-ending series of excuses and rationalizations about how everything that went poorly for Dak’s teams are directly attributable to him, but everything that went well for on those teams was somehow attributable to external factors. Again, given Dak’s body of work, these arguments are really not serious.

Qcard

Reaction score
I don't hate Dak.

I just believe he's an overrated QB that we can never win with. I believe he's had the weapons and wasted them. He shrinks in big moments constantly.

As for Carr and Herbert. I mean, they've won nothing too, yeah, but they are CLEARLY more skilled than Dak.
Whilst the above take isn't Hateful...it clearly STUPiD...

Dak Hate is " Dak Can't read defenses"..... we know your dog whistles

DCCBFan

Reaction score
The only thing that will ease the sting of the losses this season will be laughing at you and your buddies trying to figure out what's wrong.

You can stay blind all you want, but I won't stop trying to open your eyes.

My eyes are pretty open. I see you.

Swagger

Reaction score
At this point, Dak has played in a substantial number of games. And he has a pretty good record. Statistically, he is one of the better quarterbacks all time. For his career, he has a significant number of fourth quarter comebacks and game winning drives. Taking all of these objective facts into account, the argument that he’s not a good quarterback is not a serious argument. The argument seems to be a never-ending series of excuses and rationalizations about how everything that went poorly for Dak’s teams are directly attributable to him, but everything that went well for on those teams was somehow attributable to external factors. Again, given Dak’s body of work, these arguments are really not serious.
Do you ask yourself why he has these 4th quarter comebacks and against which teams? Perhaps if he didn't have such slow starts against inferior teams he wouldn't have to consistently have to win games in the 4th quarter which he has been able to at times.

Save for the Eagles winning the Superbowl, Washington, the Eagles and Giants have largely been terrible over the past 6 years. 6 games a season over 5 years to feast.

There are 2 big games that stand out for me. The 49ers play off game - he didn't do enough. He had multiple opportunities to make enough plays to win the game including having the ball with timeouts in the 2 minute drive to get it done but alas he wasn't able to execute those plays. The other being his deplorable performance against the Eagles who had their reserves on D yet they were still able to restrict Prescott to a nominal number of points and progress to the play offs.

The play off loss against the Rams was predominantly on the rush D and the Packers loss was partly due to the slow start from the offense with Prescott partly at fault and the performance from the defense in the first half.

He isn't blameless in the teams failures over the past 6 years and he should have done more given what he had around him.

DCCBFan

Reaction score
Dak's biggest play of the game vs the Seahawks in the play off game was with his legs which he struggled to use last season. Stafford had one season on a very good team and won a Superbowl. He played on a good Lions team in 2014 but the Cowboys led by Tony Romo were able to overcome them in the play offs. Further, Stafford played in the same division as a franchise run as well as the Packers with Rodgers at QB, in reality it's silly to compare Stafford and Prescott given the dross the latter has faced in the NFC East.

Romo did beat Stafford in the playoffs. Throughout his first 12 years, just about anyone who ran into Stafford in the playoffs got the best of him. Given that history, I agree it’s crazy to compare Stafford to Prescott. Prescott needs another 6 years of futility before the comparison is apt.

DCCBFan

Reaction score
19 posts basically all together, but a 2 year old account?

What username is your other account under?

I don’t have any other accounts. While I am a regular reader of this board, I’m not a regular poster. The incessant bile directed toward my team’s qb has inspired me to chime in with a brief reality check.