Dak and Zeke dont care about championships

waldoputty

Reaction score
I normally don't let myself get involved in these conversations for one simple reason. I don't care what's in anyone elses bank account.

Looking at the Joneses off season habits I could see why players around the league might see it that way is all.

the salary cap exists or i suspect jerry would have broke the bank

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They have terrific options with Dak right now.

This year, plus three franchise tags after that.

Imagine:

Year 1: $2 million
Year 2: $32 million
Year 3: $35 million
Year 4: $38 million

That's only $26.75 million per year average, with no long-term strings attached. You can drop him like a rock if his play regresses or he gets hurt, or a better option comes along. You are not hamstrung at all through that time period.

Or, if suddenly he develops into an elite quarterback, you back up the truck and lock him up.
But are they willing to do what WAS allowed Gruden to do when he wasn't sold on Cousins?

They can only use two tags and the one for this year is <25M, so that is not likely to jump to 32M next season.

I was an advocate of this at first and then reversed when I realized who's picking the QB if they don't keep him? This brain trust has depended on luck to get QB1's, not skill.

This is truly the textbook case of a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush with this team. I don't think many really think about how much worse this could be if they hadn't had Payton on staff or if they'd successfully pulled off that trade to pick Lynch or taken Cook. Of course, we don't know the situation with Romo then.

I do like the idea of tagging him though because he has control over whether they keep him as well as where they pick.

Cowboy-33

Reaction score
Some of you guys crack me up. “Most” of these dudes play football their whole lives to get their dream of playing pro football. They have that drive to be the best at what they do. That includes wanting to win a championship. Sometimes I think the agents and “possee” members get them sidetracked to make it about the money but most of these guys want a ring BAD.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Do you understand what the word “fully” means?

And why did you ignore the rest of the post? Because it disproves your point?

how much is guaranteed is negotiable.
and i dont think all nba contracts are fully guaranteed.
nba players do have longer life except compared to qb's.
dak is not holding out but zeke is with 2 years left on his contract.
dak is just asking for an amount that blows up the cap.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
i am quite sure tsmith's contract was not record setting.
i have not checked on tfred's contract, but that contract has been a bargain for years especially when you look at the structure.
no one is asking them to play for the minimum, just take a contract for a top 5 player in their position.
there is a big pot of cap $ to resign the key players but they are going to lose 1 or 2 if everyone acts that way.
and the players know it too.
if they cared about a championship, they would not act this way.
I think the owners expect the cap to skyrocket after the next CBA and that's why QB contracts have escalated the way they did. Just a gut feeling but I think all these contracts will be seen as team friendly.

waldoputty

Reaction score
They have terrific options with Dak right now.

This year, plus three franchise tags after that.

Imagine:

Year 1: $2 million
Year 2: $32 million
Year 3: $35 million
Year 4: $38 million

That's only $26.75 million per year average, with no long-term strings attached. You can drop him like a rock if his play regresses or he gets hurt, or a better option comes along. You are not hamstrung at all through that time period.

Or, if suddenly he develops into an elite quarterback, you back up the truck and lock him up.

that is what dak is forcing the situation to be.
sign cooper if it is a big one.
then let zeke sit out until game 11.
franchise dak next year
and the year after that unless he proves to be worth it.
draft qb and rb 1st and 2nd round this year.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i am quite sure tsmith's contract was not record setting.
i have not checked on tfred's contract, but that contract has been a bargain for years especially when you look at the structure.
no one is asking them to play for the minimum, just take a contract for a top 5 player in their position.
there is a big pot of cap $ to resign the key players but they are going to lose 1 or 2 if everyone acts that way.
and the players know it too.
if they cared about a championship, they would not act this way.
If they do not act this way, does that insure them of a championship? Why would they make a team friendly deal with a team that has their 24 year history.

I do not think you are considering the effect of that Lawrence contract. They gave 21M to a guy that is a no show come crunch time. Hell, if they're that stupid, I am lining up for mine.

And now there are rumors of 40M to the QB while the RB, who knows the QB is very mediocre without him, mulls over maybe he's not asking enough?

superonyx

Reaction score
You think Dak is asking to be paid based on his level of production? There is something stupid here and it's not this thread.
You don't know how this works or you are a willful ignoramus. Players are paid for what they will produce and not only what they did produce.

But since you are looking for an argument and I have a few spare minutes on this rainy Tuesday I will bite.
Dak has led the team to 2 divisional titles in 3 years.
Dak has a lifetime QB rating of 96.
Dak has won a playoff game and outplayed Rodgers in another.
Dak has rushed for 1000 yards and 18 TD's in 3 years.
Dak has 14 game winning drives in only 3 years. 16th among all active players while only playing 3 seasons.
Dak has 8 come from behind drives.
Dak has been to 2 probowls.
Dak has won the AP rookie of the year.

Sounds pretty impressive.

Ouch.,..... whatcha got?

waldoputty

Reaction score
I think the owners expect the cap to skyrocket after the next CBA and that's why QB contracts have escalated the way they did. Just a gut feeling but I think all these contracts will be seen as team friendly.

none of us know that.
i dont see why the cap would skyrocket given tv ratings are down (i think).

erod

Reaction score
Yeah that's crap. Like Dak said, the NBA guys have guaranteed contracts. And their "sacrifice" is 2 or 3 million dollars. Lebron did it ONCE and has been highly paid ever since. Brooklyn just made KD the second highest paid player in the NBA so I'm not sure why you think he or KD sacrificed some salary. And the little they saved they gave it to......Deandre Jordan smh. That's exactly why players shouldn't take pay cuts. You save them a few million and they give it to someone who shouldn't get it.
The NBA is a pathetic league that almost nobody watches at all until the playoffs start.

And even their playoff games draw less viewership than a random Monday night game in the NFL.

The NFL is about the league and the teams. The NBA is about 8-10 players alone. It's trash.

Praxit

Reaction score
What bothers all of us is their contract demands tell us about their desire for a championship, or lack thereof.
They just want to grab every dollar even though they know there is a cap limit.
They know their demands really hurt the chances of a championship because there is a limit to what tricks can be played with the cap.
..there's some possible truth to what yer saying. Since championships are a thing of the past for Dallas. There is no new excitement for it. They dont know the feeling of being a Super Bowl champ. So money, is the next best thing...lol..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then they must be prepared to give up more of their % and that would be a shocker because in the past they've given up anything but that, including concessions that hurt the quality of the game.

waldoputty

Reaction score
If they do not act this way, does that insure them of a championship? Why would they make a team friendly deal with a team that has their 24 year history.

I do not think you are considering the effect of that Lawrence contract. They gave 21M to a guy that is a no show come crunch time. Hell, if they're that stupid, I am lining up for mine.

And now there are rumors of 40M to the QB while the RB, who knows the QB is very mediocre without him, mulls over maybe he's not asking enough?

there is a pot of money.
any idiot can see it.
any idiot would also know there is a limit to it.
they can grab all they can.
or they can have a really strong contender for the next few years by taking a top 5 salary for the position and have more money than they and their kids and grandkids know what to do with.

erod

Reaction score
that is what dak is forcing the situation to be.
sign cooper if it is a big one.
then let zeke sit out until game 11.
franchise dak next year
and the year after that unless he proves to be worth it.
draft qb and rb 1st and 2nd round this year.

I disagree on Zeke.

What are arguing over with him? It's either $13 million a year or $16 million a year. He already makes $9 million a year.

We're haggling over a measly $3 million with Zeke. We're haggling over $31 million with Dak.

They need to get Zeke done, which I am certain they will. He's the best player on the team.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
..there's some possible truth to what yer saying. Since championships are a thing of the past for Dallas. There is no new excitement for it. They dont know the feeling of being a Super Bowl champ. So money, is the next best thing...lol..
They don't know the feeling of being a successful playoff team.

And if I am one of these players, the first thing I look at about this championship talk is who they kept as the HC, DC and the OC they gave him. What are the odds of a first time OC taking the 22nd ranked offense to the Big Dance? Give me the money.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I disagree on Zeke.

What are arguing over with him? It's either $13 million a year or $16 million a year. He already makes $9 million a year.

We're haggling over a measly $3 million with Zeke. We're haggling over $31 million with Dak.

They need to get Zeke done, which I am certain they will. He's the best player on the team.

you cannot say measley to anything.
if we are all going to act like accountants, then so be it.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Some of you guys crack me up. “Most” of these dudes play football their whole lives to get their dream of playing pro football. They have that drive to be the best at what they do. That includes wanting to win a championship. Sometimes I think the agents and “possee” members get them sidetracked to make it about the money but most of these guys want a ring BAD.

Most of them do not have that drive to be the best at what they do. Most of them had that drive to make it to the NFL and get paid. Once that happens, they are never the same. We see it over and over again throughout the league. Football is such a physically and mentally challenging sport. It is very tough to maintain what it takes to stay on top after you are set for life financially and are in a situation where no matter what you do, you will still be making millions over the next few years because the team cannot afford to cut you. It takes a special person with incredible internal motivation to overcome that and continue to put in the necessary work. I think Dak may be that kind of person but I see Zeke falling off the cliff after getting paid. I don't think he will put in the work or keep the off the field stuff in check.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
They don't know the feeling of being a successful playoff team.

And if I am one of these players, the first thing I look at about this championship talk is who they kept as the HC, DC and the OC they gave him. What are the odds of a first time OC taking the 22nd ranked offense to the Big Dance? Give me the money.
Some people here told me that Dak and some of the others would take less because they are playing for the Dallas Cowboys and they can make up for it with endorsements. lol