Dak Can't Throw A WR Open

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What good is a QB without "Accuracy" it's like a Ferrari without its engine.....?????

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Completion rate means nothing if you keep throwing behind the sticks on 3rd down.

On 3rd 7+ Dak throws a 3 yard check-down as he's usually in Panic mode back there....ya total franchise QB play back there......:eek:

blindzebra

Reaction score
I'm struggling to think understand what else you think it could mean.

And of course the number one job of a WR is to get themselves open, but that can't always happen. But in SOME situations a QB can still make a throw to a spot only the receiver can get to. No one is saying it happens every play, just that it happens and all great QBs do it.
And so does Dak.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Anyone who knows football and Jones should know that WR are supposed to run good routes and get separation. QB are not taught to throw a guy open, he is suppose to be open. Even the great Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady wait for their guy to get a bit of separation or throw the ball to a spot where only their WR can get to it. Throwing a guy open is just an excuse by WRs to not have to do their job.
LOL

This is so wrong on many levels.

Hey, since the defense is in the right coverage and no ones open, lets waste the down because my QB cant make the big boy throws

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL

This is so wrong on many levels.

Hey, since the defense is in the right coverage and no ones open, lets waste the down because my QB cant make the big boy throws

Dak only throws if the WR is so wide open my Grand-ma could hit him.....then he looks for the check-down and if not there he gets sacked and probably ends up fumbling the ball also.......

The Dark Bishop

Reaction score
Sorry guys but everyone here has a point and many are well thought out. Sadly it is like a jigsaw puzzle. Dak was great his first year do a healthy offensive line, the fact he held no receivers as his go to guy, and above all, there was no game film on him other than college. The second year proved to be a tornado of obstacles. First he had a diva in Dez to deal with and the fact many would rather zone him out or put their best DB on him to create issues knowing Dak has yet to show he can throw the back should fade.. Then there is the health of the offensive line. Sadly the game tape was out on Dak and teams could game plan to beat his strengths. Even if he managed to withstand all that he was still a late forth round draft pick..... I mean growing pains were bound to happen. That is why they call it a sophomore slump....

This year we shall see the QB as he is. Rather he earns the starter position and keeps it, or maybe Rush or the rookie is pushed into the starting role if Dak is still struggling. Luckily either way, the money is still soft enough to draft a top QB if no one on our roster is worthy before the next draft. That is a huge bonus.

Now last year we complained that many of our receivers could not get open and there was no speedster. Well we took on guys known for route running and even speed through free agency and the draft. Not big names mind you, but possibly serviceable. Personally I could care less with rather they are #1 or #2 as long as they can get separation by rather speed or by knowing their route tree.

Either way we should know what we have and what we need on offense after the next season. Sadly I fear it is a new updated scheme by newer coaches.....

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
This is silly. Obviously it's not every play but you absolutely have to be able to "throw someone open" or however you want to phrase it. And of course they are taught it, for example what do you think a back shoulder throw is?
Are you saying Dak can't throw a back shoulder throw? If so, you a lie! This thread is a lie.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
My understanding of throwing a receiver open does not include the back shoulder throw which is now a designed play with route, setup, and throw. To me a QB sees the route, maybe even sees it before it is run by recognizing the defense and the defender’s positioning, and instead of forcing the ball where the receiver is supposed to be, he throws it safely into an open area along the route path. The pass and catch will only be successful by “throwing the receiver open” if the QB has the imagination and vision while the receiver must have the mentality and reactions to go get the ball rather than the “***...he missed me” mentality and gives up on the route. I don’t see throwing a receiver open as any more important than getting through ones progressions and throwing to another open receiver. Throwing a guy open is more about seeing the play developing and throwing the ball somewhere different than the play design because a defender is taking the design away. When a player hooks up on a defender, throwing him open is the QB seeing that the ball must be high or low or left or right or early or late. The receiver may be more important than the QB in this process as both need to see the same thing, and the receiver has to be alert and complete the play, not give up and assume the ball isn’t coming.

“He threw it where only his guy had a chance for it” is something to listen for. QBs throw lots of incompletions when throwing a guy open.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
oh my gosh, somebody questioned if Dak can throw a guy open... *wiping tears from face* "he's the best ever, better than Romo, Troy and Roger"......... I'm just hoping he doesn't glitch out with pressure like last year. "PANIC!!!"

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The Dak debate is nearly over thank God. I just want to see the dude on the field and see if he looks like 2016 or 2017. If he looks like 2017 Dak, this team is going nowhere and Dak will probably be replaced by Rush late in the year.
Don't know about that. The Cowboys had a chance to see what they had in Rush in that final Eagles game and never thought of taking Dak out. These coaches are stubborn. They stay with things even if they don't work.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Even just something as basic as throwing to the spot before the WR even makes his break, or just leading him....are both “throwing him open” to some degree.

I have confidence that Dak will continue to evolve,

In throwing a wr open a qb has to have the offensive concept down and what type of defense hes going against. If he doesnt have confidence in either one then he'll only throw the ball when the wr breaks open. He wont have the anticipation skill required to know, before he throws, what's going to happen.

Imo Dak doesn't have that yet.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
if Dak couldn't throw a guy open he'd have never started in the SEC, let alone got drafted

we're talking NFL football, all these guys are good, real good.

I understand the press making silly comments like that to get clicks - but it's beneath a true FB fan

it seems like some see Dak as HOF material, others as a complete dud. the kid can hoop, but is a work in progress, anyone denying that is really in la la land

frankly, in 2018 he'll have time to throw to new WRs and new TEs - with considerably more play making ability - working who knows what formations ... time will tell
People think anyone can have a good rookie season because RG3 did it and Dak did it.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Only one WR that Dak trusts well enough to do that would be Beasley. The cowboys need to give Beasley a 4 year extension because he is gonna be Daks go to guy.