Dak contract clarification

TwentyOne

Reaction score
To say a 2nd team ALL-Pro player "is not" an ALL-Pro is not true .........it's not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_All-Pro_Team

All-Pro is an honor bestowed upon professional American football players that designates the best player at each position during a given season

The 2023 All-Pro teams were named by the Associated Press (AP),[1] Pro Football Writers of America (PFWA), and The Sporting News (TSN) for performance in the 2023 NFL season. Any player selected to the first-team of any of the teams can be described as an "All-Pro." The AP team, with first-team and second-team selections, was chosen by a national panel of fifty NFL writers and broadcasters. The Sporting News All-NFL team was voted on by NFL players and executives. The PFWA team is selected by its more than 300 national members who are accredited media members covering the NFL.
You just posted the explanation. Didnt you read it?

"Any player selected to the first-team of any of the teams can be described as an "All-Pro.""

Seriously.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He holds some in that there's the distinct possibility that Dak wants/needs the Cowboys
This is where I stopped reading........last week Dak said if he doesn't play for the Cowboys it will be elsewhere. That is the first time we have heard Dak mention playing for any team other than the Cowboys. As for endorsements and playing QB for Dallas Cowboys......that's overrated, especially in today's era. In other words, I don't think he is going to pass up a chance to play for another team that will pay him what he wants coz endorsements.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
You just posted the explanation. Didnt you read it?

"Any player selected to the first-team of any of the teams can be described as an "All-Pro.""

Seriously.
LOL ......Let's call it a night 22
We are getting anywhere here.......agree to disagree

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
We used the so called "void years" possibility to "extend" his contract so we were able to distribute his pro rated bonuses to more years. Its not that he actually has a longer contract that forces him to play for us. Right now he will be a FA in 2025.

He is in our books with 40 mils in 2025 because of that. We cant do anything against those 40 mils. Its money that was already handed to him so we have to count that against our cap.

The idea of extending him is that you can now renegotiate his base salary in 2024 and also have a low base salary in 2025. So that in 2024 and 2025 our cap hits (together with the already high numbers i mentioned because of the paid bonuses) will be easier to handle.
So with an extension you have a lot of dead money bound but at least you have a QB on your roster. If you cut him or dont extend him you will have 40 mils in dead money and no QB.
I see, thanks for the detailed explanation, I didn't know this. So basically we're screwed either way.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
This is where I stopped reading........last week Dak said if he doesn't play for the Cowboys it will be elsewhere.
Just to clue you up.....people looking for a contract will say anything.

In other words, I don't think he is going to pass up a chance to play for another team that will pay him what he wants coz endorsements.
Well obviously he's not going to 'pass up a chance', but AGAIN, we're taking about leverage. If he wants money, JUST MONEY, then he has all the leverage. If, just If, he wants Dallas, then Jerry DOES HOLD LEVERAGE, the leverage to say: 'no, im not paying you, you can go somewhere else to get your bag'

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
. If he wants money, JUST MONEY, then he has all the leverage.
I hate to say this but it appears that all that matters to Dak at this point in his career, otherwise he would be signed by now. Remember he bets on himself?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are speaking about THIS season.......I an speaking about Jerry and Stephen's desire to sign him to an extension or keep him on the team. Threat to cut him?????? France and Dak would beg for it........at least 2-4 teams would give Dak his contract in a heartbeat.

Remember the leverage is about their desire to retain his service......if they no longer want it then stop neg and let him walk. But that's not the case here...
What teams and do they have the cap room?
The people here await your response!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I hate to say this but it appears that all that matters to Dak at this point in his career, otherwise he would be signed by now. Remember he bets on himself?
He may well be backing himself, but potentially doing it whilst having to make up the $29M he's going to lose out on his 2024 (if he's cut).
Jerry may prefer the $29m in his pocket rather than in a QB who's got no intention of staying.

Last edited:

Wangchung83

Reaction score
Some on this sight just don’t get it. The last time they all said Dak has all the leverage and they still say the same thing this time. Fact is you only have the leverage if you don’t suck. Sal sucks just as bad as he did in 2020 when this ridiculous contract was started.

Flamma

Reaction score
Agreed on not overpaying him, but Dak isn't the problem.
I know he's not the main problem. You would think Matt Stafford winning a SB would go to show that it isn't the QB, but the crap team they are on. But nope.

But I will say one thing. Dak does seem to have this magical gag reflex in big games. He does not elevate this team, not even a little bit. We have to be dominant for him to play well.

jgboys1

Reaction score
Not that I think they'll do this, but if they make him a post June cut would he still count 40 million against the cap in 2025? I believe they'll save 34 million off the cap hit this year.
If I were Jerry that would be something to consider. Saving 34 million on a guy who has won 2 playoff games in 8 seasons, might be the way to go!

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
If I were Jerry that would be something to consider. Saving 34 million on a guy who has won 2 playoff games in 8 seasons, might be the way to go!
Jerry could take the FULL CAP hit in 2024 AND gain $29m in his own bank balance.
Take the hit in 2024 (quite doable, it'll take less than $10m in restructuring).....after all we aren't spending money in FA now...there's no-one left.
it'll put us in an excellent CAP position in 2025.

12+88=7

Reaction score
Let's say they just don't extend his contract but don't release him either. Wouldn't he then just become an UFA and we wouldn't take a cap hit in 2025? If yes, why not follow this route?
The 40 million is baked into the cake.

It's 40 million in 2025, or split it up into two years, 26 million in 2025 and 14 million in 2026.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Believe cap hit without extension this year will be about $55M, if he then leaves after this year he still will have a $40M cap hit in 2025.
Let’s say he does leave. We still have his cap hit of 40. Now if Trey lance stays he’ll be 20 million I believe next season to be the starter. Basically 60 million to the Qb spot.

12+88=7

Reaction score
That is not true and your numbers are pure eyewash.

Right now for the 2025 season we have only 40 players under contract. Players with a void year (they wont play for us anymore) are Prescott, DFlaw, Zack Martin and Cooks. You have to replace those positions.

Why do you think we will use this year to clean most of our depts ? Because we are in such a good shape ?

Seriously i understand that you are trying to keep hope up. But please be real.
Dallas replaced those players this year with Kneeland, Beebe, and Flournoy.

Make all of the players you mentioned June 1st cuts and Dallas adds another 17 million to cap for a total of 93 million in 2025 to sign their own or other free agents.

The 79 or 93 million is more than enough to complete the roster.

DanA

Reaction score
Just to clue you up.....people looking for a contract will say anything.

Well obviously he's not going to 'pass up a chance', but AGAIN, we're taking about leverage. If he wants money, JUST MONEY, then he has all the leverage. If, just If, he wants Dallas, then Jerry DOES HOLD LEVERAGE, the leverage to say: 'no, im not paying you, you can go somewhere else to get your bag'
It’s not strickly true. We could sit him behind Lance for for the 2024 season and he loses value. If we did that rounds 1-3 I think he starts itching for a trade because every game he sits he’s losing money.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
It’s not strickly true. We could sit him behind Lance for for the 2024 season and he loses value. If we did that rounds 1-3 I think he starts itching for a trade because every game he sits he’s losing money.
Nothing's no absolutes, there are scenario's which could play out. Yep, there's a chance your scenario happens and would be ideal if a good win now team loses their QB (in season)....however, there's the case of Jerry paying $29m CASH, for in essence a QB2.