Dak: Don't plan on being 3-5. However, that's up to the front office. You know what I mean

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
Peoples HATRED for his contract has prevented us from having football conversations. And this is heavily influenced by the way JJ has handled the ENTIRE thing. And the scary thing is...Jerry is LOVING the distraction Daks contract is providing from the multitude of problems this team has. I find that down right disgusting. Jerry did NOT want to extend Dak at those numbers. And I simply don't understand his outlook of building a football team.

You would think having an "experienced" front office would be a plus, but ironically it has backfired. How things used to be, what they used to be able to pay players etc...has clouded their attitude towards todays salaries. Now they have no problem raking in all the money that comes with the state of the NFL today....but I don't doubt for one second that wish they could pay all of these players the vet minimum. It is simply disgusting...and there are plenty of fans who wish that as well....and that is disgusting. If they had paid Dak $55 million as opposed to $60....our record would STILL be the same. Look around the NFL....from Burrow, to Trevor Lawrence...to Tua, to Kyler Murray, to Deshaun Watson, to Justin Herbert....paying QBs does not automatically mean it is your birthright to be in 1st place. You would LOVE for that to be the case, but that is not how it works.. They ALL get paid, but only one wins. So instead of fans being able to separate business from building a football roster, we get STUCK on the QBs salary....and Jerry creates an environment for this type of chaos to ensue

I am on record saying I did not care what they did with Dak. As the NFL MVP runner up...either Dallas was going to pay him....or someone was going to pay him. The salary cap rules are the same for EVERY team. There are plenty of teams that pay their QB and still field a competitive team. That is what the BILLIONS of dollars the Jones boys get paid to figure out. And they get paid more than anybody else to figure it out.

Dak has not played well. But other than Tyler Smith and the kicker....who has? This team was setup to fail and that starts at the top. I would love to think the "football people" are trying to figure out how to get this turned around. But these same football people thought WR by committee was a good idea a couple of years ago. These same football people were clamoring to sign Randy Gregory to a big extension. These same football people thought Zeke and Derrick Henry were the "same" player. These same football people are paying an emergency QB the highest salary of any emergency QB in the history of the NFL...along with the highest salary for a starting QB!! These same football people thought Michael Gallup could tear his knee up in January and be ready to be our #2 WR in September. These same football people hired a defensive coordinator off the couch to a 1 year deal....to go along with a head coach and the majority of the coaching staff on lame duck status.

What am I trying to say? The "football people" we have to get us out of this mess....have been creating a mess for almost 30 years....but we are so focused on Daks contract that we think getting rid of it will solve everything. Well done Jerry. Another master stroke of genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you can't see that Dak's contract is a huge problem ..

then you have a big problem

Chasing6

Reaction score
How many QBs in NFL history won 4 straight Championship Games?

Compare Kelly’s playoff and Super Bowl stats to Aikman’s.
In 17 playoff game appearances, including four consecutive Super Bowls, he passed for 3,863 yards and 21 touchdowns.

Very similar.

Nav22

Reaction score
Troy was a lot better QB than Dak.

That is what you fail to realize.

You are trying to compare a #1 pick, 3x SB winner, a SB MVP, and HOFer to a 4th round pick and non-HOFer who cannot win a divisional round playoff game.

Like, I stated in an earlier post, you could put a prime Dak on the SB winning 90s Cowboys & he would perform like he has performed in the playoffs.

A #1 defense, great OL, great RB, great WRs, TEs, and etcetera cannot perform for Dak.

Dak still has to consistently make the right reads, get the ball out on time, make accurate throws, minimize turnovers, and perform.

Something he rarely can do against good, physical teams.
Way to miss the point!

Troy's better than Dak, right? Okay. No problem.

So if THE GREAT TROY AIKMAN couldn't do JACK SQUAT without a dominant supporting cast, how on Earth is Dak Prescott supposed to do so with garbage around him?

Get it now? This isn't that complicated.

Nav22

Reaction score
If you can't see that Dak's contract is a huge problem ..

then you have a big problem
Quick, how much cap space do the Cowboys have, right now?

Where did the Cowboys rank in terms of FA spending this offseason?

You're completely clueless. Dak's contract didn't hinder the front office one bit.

Do some actual research and educate yourself before spouting nonsense.

Legend

Reaction score
In 17 playoff game appearances, including four consecutive Super Bowls, he passed for 3,863 yards and 21 touchdowns.

Very similar.
“Jim Kelly had a passer rating of 56.9 with 829 yards, 2 touchdowns and 7 interceptions in 4 games in Super Bowls in his career.”

Troy Aikman’s SB stats were a lot better than Kelly’s.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Troy was a lot better QB than Dak.

That is what you fail to realize.

You are trying to compare a #1 pick, 3x SB winner, a SB MVP, and HOFer to a 4th round pick and non-HOFer who cannot win a divisional round playoff game.

Like, I stated in an earlier post, you could put a prime Dak on the SB winning 90s Cowboys & he would perform like he has performed in the playoffs.

A #1 defense, great OL, great RB, great WRs, TEs, and etcetera cannot perform for Dak.

Dak still has to consistently make the right reads, get the ball out on time, make accurate throws, minimize turnovers, and perform.

Something he rarely can do against good, physical teams.
How is Trance doing? Where you get picked is irrelevant to performance. If your not aware of that much, no need to the read the rest of what your wrote.

Legend

Reaction score
Way to miss the point!

So if THE GREAT TROY AIKMAN couldn't do JACK SQUAT without a dominant supporting cast, how on Earth is Dak Prescott supposed to do so with garbage around him?

Aikman was able to win 3 SBs and 1 SB MVP.

That is not bad.

Since only Brady, Montana, and Bradshaw have won more SBs.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Way to miss the point!

When did I agree with your assumption???

Okay. No problem.

Nav22

Reaction score
Aikman was able to win 3 SBs and 1 SB MVP.

That is not bad.

Since only Brady, Montana, and Bradshaw have won more SBs.
You can't read, can you?

We established that Troy Aikman is great.

Now address my other point. Your silence speaks volumes.

rocknrobcowboy

Reaction score
With Davante Adams To The Jets They Will Have a Better Record Than The Cowboys...BOOK IT..

Legend

Reaction score
You can't read, can you?

We established that Troy Aikman is great.

Now address my other point. Your silence speaks volumes.
Like I stated earlier; you can put Dak on a team with multiple pro bowlers on offense, defense, and special teams with a HOF coach… and Dak still would not perform well enough in the playoffs to win a divisional round playoff game

Winning a Wild Card game every few years was Dak’s ceiling.

Dak and the Cowboys will have a tough time making the playoffs moving forward.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Lol. Insulting a man from behind a keyboard— and I am the sensitive one?

Holy hell little boy do you lack self awareness! Lol… anyone that criticizes your BFF QB and you whine and bray like a whipped mule.

And then you run to “go root for another team then!!”. Som, I have been a fan since the early 80’s and have well earned the right to speak my mind and criticize the living hell out of this ownership, roster, and franchise when it is responsible for creating this kind of product and displaying it for the NFL to mock and scorn.

You may be fine with being a laughing stock and letting teams embarrass you at hone. I sure as hell ain’t— and if you are too sensitive and afraid to speak your mind and examine facts, reality, and the hard truths about where we have arrived as a franchise— then go hide behind Dak’s platitudes and JJ’s hopium like the good little fanboy you are.

You have no respect on this board because you are in denial and are just a clueless Dak fanatic. If there is anything that is exhausting on this board— it is your weak-sauce, whiny defense of this team and specifically QB’s performance.

And you don’t have to tell me there is 4 more years of this. Save your breath. I am well aware of where JJ has driven this train— and I am well within reason and rights to drink my whiskey and give him a piece of my mind

And I don’t give two craps if you like it, love it, agree with it, or hate it. Now run along and go watch your Dak stat pad video highlights
This little boy would make you eat your words in person. Quick. So go along and keep crying like a child if you want or man up, grow a spine and either support or go follow another team.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
No fellow member will shut up on someone else's command.

No fellow member will leave CowboysZone by someone else's command.

No fellow member will stop reading and responding to threads and posts by someone else's command.

Life. No one always gets what they want.
Yes, you've proven that over and over.

lk8701

Reaction score
Way to miss the point!

Aikman would've won the 2022 Super Bowl. That team had all the pieces.

irishline

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Quick, how much cap space do the Cowboys have, right now?

Where did the Cowboys rank in terms of FA spending this offseason?

You're completely clueless. Dak's contract didn't hinder the front office one bit.

Do some actual research and educate yourself before spouting nonsense.

Dallas has $21.76 million in cap space. $9.5 million of that was not available until after June 1st when Gallups' June 1st Designation kicked in (a majority of that was used on draft picks). $15 million was saved as part of the Prescott contract two days before the season. About another $8 million was saved when we signed Lamb on August 27th. We used some of those savings to sign players like Joseph, Lawson, and Phillips (trade). In other words, the majority of what you are referring to was not available to spend when free agency was in full swing. But you knew that didn't you?

Now you can argue that we should have signed those two sooner and we could have signed some free agents. And on that point, I would completely agree. But we didn't. And since we didn't, the contracts in place for Dak (59.5 million cap hit original - now 45) and Lamb (16.5 million original - now 8.75) were precisely why we didn't sign anyone else until late August when the money was freed up. At that point, no one was available worth anything, and it is just better to roll it over and spend it next season (now will they is the question).

I also completely agree with you on Free Agent spending though. Completely unacceptable and a joke really.

And no. I am not at all defending Jerry, the front office, or anything else. This offseason was a Greek tragedy. Just showing you some actual research on to why we have so much cap space right now that wasn't available during free agency.

Last edited: