Twitter: Dak expected to get his own Jordan line

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Moore was just a placeholder while Dak learned, and of course as a 4th round pick Dak wasn't expected to immediately start over Romo. The plan the team had all along was to see how Dak would develop, not to write him in as an immediate starter.

No reason to talk down on the team because Dak worked out better than would have been expected in year 1 when he was thrown into action. That isn't somehow a negative thing.

This is absolutely true.. However I do think it's also true that for at least that 2016 playoff run Romo would have been a better choice to lead the team. Experience means SO much more in the playoffs. We all saw that it took Dak and the offense about a quarter and a half to get off the bus in that Green Bay game... and then once they got rolling they pretty much did everything they wanted to the Packer defense. But you can't spot a team a 21-3 lead in the playoffs.. especially not a team with an Aaron Rodgers at QB.. a guy who can control the game as well as any who have ever done it if you don't have a great defense to keep him from feasting you never really have him put away. We all know that Cowboys defense that year was average at best and counted on the offense to control the clock, get a big lead and let them play from ahead. I would have rolled with Romo for that playoff run then sent him into the sunset regardless of how it ended. Dak had earned the right to be the future starter.. but Romo had earned the right to lead that playoff run.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stop the personal attacks and keep the political side of things out of the thread.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is absolutely true.. However I do think it's also true that for at least that 2016 playoff run Romo would have been a better choice to lead the team. Experience means SO much more in the playoffs. We all saw that it took Dak and the offense about a quarter and a half to get off the bus in that Green Bay game... and then once they got rolling they pretty much did everything they wanted to the Packer defense. But you can't spot a team a 21-3 lead in the playoffs.. especially not a team with an Aaron Rodgers at QB.. a guy who can control the game as well as any who have ever done it if you don't have a great defense to keep him from feasting you never really have him put away. We all know that Cowboys defense that year was average at best and counted on the offense to control the clock, get a big lead and let them play from ahead. I would have rolled with Romo for that playoff run then sent him into the sunset regardless of how it ended. Dak had earned the right to be the future starter.. but Romo had earned the right to lead that playoff run.
Romo may have been a better choice in the playoffs, but I think that's far from certain. It's not as if Dak had a bad game. Yes, a little slow at the start, but that seemed worse given that the defense didn't help much. The offense scoring 13 1st half points isn't great, but it's not bad, on the other hand, the defense giving up TD's in GB' first 3 possessions hurt pretty bad

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Romo may have been a better choice in the playoffs, but I think that's far from certain. It's not as if Dak had a bad game. Yes, a little slow at the start, but that seemed worse given that the defense didn't help much 13 1st half points isn't great, but it's not bad, on the other hand, the defense giving up TD's in GB' first 3 possessions hurt pretty bad
I was over Romo at that point. He wasn't reliable enough.

When he got healthy in 2016 I was hoping they would stick with Dak because I wanted nothing to interrupt that ball from rolling. We were on that long win streak and everything was working. I didn't want them to change a thing at that point.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Romo may have been a better choice in the playoffs, but I think that's far from certain. It's not as if Dak had a bad game. Yes, a little slow at the start, but that seemed worse given that the defense didn't help much 13 1st half points isn't great, but it's not bad, on the other hand, the defense giving up TD's in GB' first 3 possessions hurt pretty bad

Oh I agree it was not a given that Romo was going to play as well as Dak ended up playing in that game .. In fact evidence suggests that he probably would not have. But what Romo probably WOULD have done is manage that game better. He likely would have slowed things down and made sure to keep drives alive and keep Rodgers on the sideline and maybe bought time for Rod and Richard to find their legs on defense. Romo had been magnificently efficient in his two previous playoff games.. the loss to Green Bay and the win over the Lions.. His passer ratings were 143.6 and 114.0. Dude straight killed it. Not by putting up huge numbers.. he only passed for 190 yards and 260 ish yards in the two games. But he managed the hell out of both games. He stayed in control and never let the other team get out to much of a lead without and answer. Four TDs .. no INTs in those games.. He was masterful.. That's what I wanted to see up against Rodgers. Dak more than held his own.. but the way to win that game was not going to be win a passing contest with Rodgers.. It needed to be won by outthinking him.. Dak wasn't ready to do that yet.. Romo was.. IMHO of course.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was over Romo at that point. He wasn't reliable enough.

When he got healthy in 2016 I was hoping they would stick with Dak because I wanted nothing to interrupt that ball from rolling. We were on that long win streak and everything was working. I didn't want them to change a thing at that point.
I think that was a reasonable way to think in 2016. I understood those who wanted Romo back as well, but I leaned the same direction you did - stick with what's working, and don't rely too much on a guy who got hurt 3 of the previous 5 times he was on the field. Even though I understood some preferring Romo, I don't understand the fans that didn't at least get why the team would make the decision it did.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I think that was a reasonable way to think in 2016. I understood those who wanted Romo back as well, but I leaned the same direction you did - stick with what's working, and don't rely too much on a guy who got hurt 3 of the previous 5 times he was on the field. Even though I understood some preferring Romo, I don't understand the fans that didn't at least get why the team would make the decision it did.
My thinking was that Dak had lead us to 13-3 and the number 1 seed in the NFC. Why in the world would we even think about messing with that formula at this point? It was too late in the season and everything was working to well to interrupt that flow. It felt special. It stunk for Romo, and I loved Romo, but I still believe the right decision was made.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I was under the impression if we dumped Romo it was guaranteed that Dak would have won one by now. . . "He was only getting better" 2016 was his best year when He was a bus Driver on unstoppable force . . . That team needed a veteran QB that could make all the throws . . . Not over achieving Bus driver.

These clowns still hoping Dak becomes the winner they remember but it aint gonna happen Dak is all about His stats and when His Stats are up the team loses . but He never gets blamed because all these Dak Fan boys are invested for the long haul.

Because if Dak continues to fail it will prove that 2016 was our golden shot at a Championship and they all backed the wrong man
Jeez what a troll. You realize you make this place a worse place with your presence don't you?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
My thinking was that Dak had lead us to 13-3 and the number 1 seed in the NFC. Why in the world would we even think about messing with that formula at this point? It was too late in the season and everything was working to well to interrupt that flow. It felt special. It stunk for Romo, and I loved Romo, but I still believe the right decision was made.

What if they started Romo in the season ender at Philly and he went out and just balled the F out? Led us to a 38-7 beat down of the Eagles and looked like he was ready to go out and conquer the world? Would you still have been opposed to starting Romo in the playoff game? Frankly to me I agree that once you went 16 games without truly seeing if Romo had anything left you couldn't go to him in the playoffs. But you had at least two games at the end of the year to see if just maybe as good as Dak had been, the 14 year veteran might be even better given the same set of weapons. You had time to find out.. and IMHO yow owed it to Romo, the fans and really the rest of the team to find out. If Romo goes out and falls on his face, you have your answer. If he plays meh.. you have your answer.. if he gets hurt, you have your answer.. if he balls out you have a decision to make but it becomes a more informed decision. The ONLY way to screw it up was not to get the answer to the question.. "Is Romo possibly better than Dak?" So naturally that's exactly what we did.

Trueboysfan

Reaction score
Some of these replies are just stupid and hateful...and not just in this thread... every thread. Just embarrassing...

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
What if they started Romo in the season ender at Philly and he went out and just balled the F out? Led us to a 38-7 beat down of the Eagles and looked like he was ready to go out and conquer the world? Would you still have been opposed to starting Romo in the playoff game? Frankly to me I agree that once you went 16 games without truly seeing if Romo had anything left you couldn't go to him in the playoffs. But you had at least two games at the end of the year to see if just maybe as good as Dak had been, the 14 year veteran might be even better given the same set of weapons. You had time to find out.. and IMHO yow owed it to Romo, the fans and really the rest of the team to find out. If Romo goes out and falls on his face, you have your answer. If he plays meh.. you have your answer.. if he gets hurt, you have your answer.. if he balls out you have a decision to make but it becomes a more informed decision. The ONLY way to screw it up was not to get the answer to the question.. "Is Romo possibly better than Dak?" So naturally that's exactly what we did.
It would have, to me, looked like Romo played against an uninspired Eagles team with nothing to play for at that point. No matter how good he would have played that's how I would've took. He did good against a bunch of guys gearing up to go on vacation.

I did not want anything to interrupt what was happening. It seemed like everything we did worked. Romo is a better QB then Dak imo, but it seemed like Dak had a better control of the team and was not trying to do too much. He was the perfect game manager and we flourished because of it. The team seemed more inspired and played with a different type of energy with Dak. I loved the ride and I didn't want to get off.

I don't believe they owed anything to Romo. He had his chances and was paid very well for it. I believe he was mentally checked out at that point, was tired of being hurt, and him retiring and never playing again only made me think it even more.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
They were such geniuses that if not for Romo and Moore getting injured Dak would've never seen the field. That's how highly they thought of him.
so who was the idiot that didn't see how good he could be?....that speaks volumes about the FO incompetence in finding talent.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I agree. when you get into playoffs, experience matters and I think Romo would have been a better option.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Cha-Ching……

This is exactly why the Cowboys should have played hardball with Dak on his huge contract. Let him test the market and go play for the Bengals and see how many of these endorsements hed be getting.

Dak was foolish not taking a team friendly deal. Dak winning 2 SB titles would ensure him a career that is paid very well long after he retires from the Cowboys. Winning, plus being the QB on America's Team??? How much more cash would that be worth to Dak?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is exactly why the Cowboys should have played hardball with Dak on his huge contract. Let him test the market and go play for the Bengals and see how many of these endorsements hed be getting.

Dak was foolish not taking a team friendly deal. Dak winning 2 SB titles would ensure him a career that is paid very well long after he retires from the Cowboys. Winning, plus being the QB on America's Team??? How much more cash would that be worth to Dak?
No one takes a team friendly deal their first contract.