Dak extension I'm confused!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He has ! lol
And Dak has been good for the circus, he keeps people talking about him.
Dak is talked about more than mahomes is, just a lot of it is anti dak talk, but jerry likes that too!
jerry said himself people need to be talking about us, even if its bad. he said it this year too, if they are talking about us, we are doing our job. those two statements a couple of decades apart tell you how jerry thinks

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
My hope
They make a low offer and allow him to seek a trade.
Dak sits out a while, and becomes a 6/1 cut.
Likely? Jerry signs him to a huge record breaking deal while he basks in the media glow .
meanwhile destroying the teams future. My early prediction 8-9 best case.
don't hold your breath. it won't happen. losing Dak would mean empty seats, lower jersey sales and he loses money. Jones doesn't care. there is a salary cap. he pays out that money anyway. whatever combination that leads to butts in seats and jersey sales. despite everything Dak is 5th in jersey sales in NFL. let that sink in. Dallas is tops in Jersey sales. Jerry is going cha ching

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
probably the second. Jerry has no idea what he is doing as a GM. he traded for Lance, now has one year left to decide if he wants to keep him or not, given in 2025 he will have a 25M cap hit if they pick up his option. he said, he is all in, which means not lance (signals rebuild), he has to keep Dak (cornered himself yet again), thus he is not stuck in a rock and a hard place. he probably wants Dak for one or at most two years, with a contract such that he can get out in two years and take overly massive hit. not sure if Dak and his agent are going to do that. they don't have to, since they hold all the cards.

Jerry again, made a mess of things.
Everything I have read has said they have until May 1st of THIS year to decide on Lance's $25MM option. And if they decline which they will he becomes a FA. It seems like no one else is concerned about this?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
They don’t need to extend him to add void years…technically he’s under contract until 2026 but the last 2 years void at the end of next season. When he says extend dak….he means literallly that.

Give me your thoughts
If his contract is until 2026, then I think Jerry should stick to the current contract as is. I know, crazy me. I think a contract is a contract.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Everything I have read has said they have until May 1st of THIS year to decide on Lance's $25MM option. And if they decline which they will he becomes a FA. It seems like no one else is concerned about this?
wow, I wasn't fully aware of this. it really sucks. if he extends Dak, then why pay Lance 25M for 2025, unless you can get a contract with a one year out with Dak and if that's the case, then why extend Dak. it makes the lance trade look even more stupid.

shabazz

Reaction score
Dak is blessed by one thing.

Last season was an abysmal year for NFL quarterbacks and injuries took out many starters and even their backups.

Jerry is viewing Dak as someone that was injury free and stayed atop the stat board.....a skew of weak teams will do that and I will apply that to our defenses stats as well.

Dak is a safe, loyal, and known entity and that's right up Jerry's wheelhouse

Safe, loyal and known hasn't translated to anything other than a 2-5 playoff record, which is all thats remembered in the end

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
wow, I wasn't fully aware of this. it really sucks. if he extends Dak, then why pay Lance 25M for 2025, unless you can get a contract with a one year out with Dak and if that's the case, then why extend Dak. it makes the lance trade look even more stupid.
There is a deadline on the fifth year option coming up, but Lance would not be a free agent until after the 2024 season. The fifth year option can be declined and a new deal worked out with Lance, like Green Bay did with Love.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak is blessed by one thing.

Last season was an abysmal year for NFL quarterbacks and injuries took out many starters and even their backups.

Jerry is viewing Dak as someone that was injury free and stayed atop the stat board.....a skew of weak teams will do that and I will apply that to our defenses stats as well.

Dak is a safe, loyal, and known entity and that's right up Jerry's wheelhouse

Safe, loyal and known hasn't translated to anything other than a 2-5 playoff record, which is all thats remembered in the end
That is one way to look at it if Jerry Jones' thought processes about quarterbacks began with Dak Prescott. Jones is the same man, who stuck with Romo, who was injured more often. Jones is the same man, who selected Quincy Carter, 'knew' Quincy Carter was an excellent selection, and would have stuck with Quincy Carter if not basically for Quincy Carter's over-fetish with weed and lack of professional drive.

Over time, Jones has demonstrated his quarterback philosophy. It is much less about convenience or other perceptions and much more about a man believing he is an excellent judge of quarterback talent--despite outside criticism stating otherwise.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They don’t need to extend him to add void years…technically he’s under contract until 2026 but the last 2 years void at the end of next season. When he says extend dak….he means literallly that.

Give me your thoughts
no need to be a wise guy, grow up!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
jerry will keep him around until dak gets hurt by a bottle or towels after another choke job. Heck, he might get hit like that ref in the Vikings game years ago. :D
oh no, can't have that, but yeah I think that may be the only way we see someone else come in here. He would have to have an injury and the backup be too good to take out

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Whenever they say extension, they mean more years. If they give him a 4 year 220 million dollar extension, all it means is that it starts in 2025. Then add another 96 million to that, and they'll have 5 years and whatever void years they add to spread out that money.
wow, thank you this is what I've been looking to know @big dog cowboy this helps, and your help has been great thanks!!!!!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Whenever they say extension, they mean more years. If they give him a 4 year 220 million dollar extension, all it means is that it starts in 2025. Then add another 96 million to that, and they'll have 5 years and whatever void years they add to spread out that money.
let me ask you this, for people who don't like Dak, the other option is to do what? Flip the switch that Mike Fisher is talking about, or just letting him play on the 59 price and not be able to get many others to help the team

Big_D

Reaction score
It will officially kill this team! This offseason will be more of the same. “if” this extension does get done, then the we like our guys mantra has reached a disturbing new level. It’s pretty sad.