Dak extension I'm confused!

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We all are. Not sure why that pleases you
Doesn't please me, I just find the constant whining pretty funny. This game must mean so much to some that they attack every move that is made by their team and keep coming back....reminds me of the scene in Brokeback mountain....I can't quit you!
:muttley: :muttley:

Loso86

Reaction score
Are we going to extend him and give him more years to play for this organization, and more money??

Or are we extending him ONLY to a add voidable years to his deal, if we're doing this, what's the issue?? It's a one year deal basically, and he can be out in 2025!

Big dog thanks for your help, but every time I hear fans mention this, I think the worst thing is going to happen.
The worst thing like what giving him more years to play opposed to what? Lol yall fans are funny!

Flamma

Reaction score
let me ask you this, for people who don't like Dak, the other option is to do what? Flip the switch that Mike Fisher is talking about, or just letting him play on the 59 price and not be able to get many others to help the team
It would be letting him play on the 59M, then cutting the cord. I'm not familiar with whatever flip the switch is. Or maybe I am but you're not explaining it right.

My problem is not just with Dak. It's with the general management. Matt Stafford couldn't do crap in Detroit. First year out, with support, SB! It's the same problem Aaron Rodgers had in Green Bay. They should have had more super bowl appearances than 1. If he can't do it, how is Dak supposed to?

You can't solely build through the draft and expect to win a SB. Unless you're the Chiefs or the Patriots with Brady.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
There is a deadline on the fifth year option coming up, but Lance would not be a free agent until after the 2024 season. The fifth year option can be declined and a new deal worked out with Lance, like Green Bay did with Love.
thanks. that helps me understand how the 5th year option works.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It would be letting him play on the 59M, then cutting the cord. I'm not familiar with whatever flip the switch is. Or maybe I am but you're not explaining it right.

My problem is not just with Dak. It's with the general management. Matt Stafford couldn't do crap in Detroit. First year out, with support, SB! It's the same problem Aaron Rodgers had in Green Bay. They should have had more super bowl appearances than 1. If he can't do it, how is Dak supposed to?

You can't solely build through the draft and expect to win a SB. Unless you're the Chiefs or the Patriots with Brady.
Flip some switch and I think his deal is lowered but spread out through the years. Making his cap number lower for 2024 i'm sorry

khiladi

Reaction score
It really depends on Lance.

If they think he is ready, then Dak is gonna get cut.
I think Lance sucks from what little I’ve seen of the tape. But I don’t care. It means Dak is gone and the hunt for a new QB is gone. We can watch Dak scrub on a team that doesn’t have talent and a new offense to learn.

Flamma

Reaction score
Flip some switch and I think his deal is lowered but spread out through the years. Making his cap number lower for 2024 i'm sorry
As long as the front office don't want to provide for the team, nothing will change. Lets see the GM that got Charles Haley, T.O, and Deion Sanders. That gives us the best chance to win, even with Dak. But they don't do that anymore.

Nexx

Reaction score
a smart organization would go to Dak and tell him that it isnt working out and that both probably need fresh starts. Ask him to waive his no trade clause to the right team, perhaps a team like Atlanta who is willing to give him the extension he wants. Get your three firsts and whatever else you can get. Roll with Trey next year to see what he actually has and also draft a QB. Worst case scenario, the cowboys suck next year and we get high draft picks for the following year. A reset year. Purge McCarthy and roster of players who do not fit into the future of this club.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
a smart organization would go to Dak and tell him that it isnt working out and that both probably need fresh starts. Ask him to waive his no trade clause to the right team, perhaps a team like Atlanta who is willing to give him the extension he wants. Get your three firsts and whatever else you can get. Roll with Trey next year to see what he actually has and also draft a QB. Worst case scenario, the cowboys suck next year and we get high draft picks for the following year. A reset year. Purge McCarthy and roster of players who do not fit into the future of this club.
Great ideas, run that by jerry his eyes will begin to get soggy and stuttering will get worse on how mmmmmmmmmmmm much he loves dak and wwwwwwwants him here for the fffffffffff-future!! lol

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
wow, I wasn't fully aware of this. it really sucks. if he extends Dak, then why pay Lance 25M for 2025, unless you can get a contract with a one year out with Dak and if that's the case, then why extend Dak. it makes the lance trade look even more stupid.
That's why the trade is so risky to me...they have to hope he'll agree that some kind of low-ball offer rather than test the market, and why would you take a low ball offer if you were him

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
That's why the trade is so risky to me...they have to hope he'll agree that some kind of low-ball offer rather than test the market, and why would you take a low ball offer if you were him
he is going to want to test the market. in a QB hungry league somebody will pay him. Qbs get over drafted, and over paid for being average or having potential. its the way the league is today.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
If the Cowboys told him that why wouldn’t he just say “understood, cut me, I’ll be a free agent, and my representation will pursue a deal with another team”? More teams would be interested in Prescott if he can be acquired without compensating the Cowboys than if he would cost them assets to Dallas just for the right to pay him $60 million per season. Every team in the NFL sees the situation the Broncos created for themselves doing a deal like that and are not going to do anything remotely similar. No team is trading anything for Dak Prescott. Not even a 7th round draft choice. The first indication the Cowboys want to move on from Prescott the other 31 teams are all smart enough to simply wait until he’s a free agent. This situation is exactly the kind of power Dak’s agent had in mind when he demanded the no trade & no tag clause in Dak’s contract. If “it isn’t working out and that both probably need fresh starts” Dak will tell the Dallas Cowboys, not the other way around.

Nexx

Reaction score
If the Cowboys told him that why wouldn’t he just say “understood, cut me, I’ll be a free agent, and my representation will pursue a deal with another team”? More teams would be interested in Prescott if he can be acquired without compensating the Cowboys than if he would cost them assets to Dallas just for the right to pay him $60 million per season. Every team in the NFL sees the situation the Broncos created for themselves doing a deal like that and are not going to do anything remotely similar. No team is trading anything for Dak Prescott. Not even a 7th round draft choice. The first indication the Cowboys want to move on from Prescott the other 31 teams are all smart enough to simply wait until he’s a free agent. This situation is exactly the kind of power Dak’s agent had in mind when he demanded the no trade & no tag clause in Dak’s contract. If “it isn’t working out and that both probably need fresh starts” Dak will tell the Dallas Cowboys, not the other way around.
because you have him under contract. ok so you dont want to play ball then you can ride the pine and watch Trey start. so would he rather rot on the bench or go a team who wants him and will give him the contract he wants? if you think Dak has no trade value than you are fool. look at Houston got for Watson who was a huge risk and look at the contract that the Browns gave him. Teams are in win now mode, they can wait until he hit free agency but that makes it a crap shoot.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Everything I have read has said they have until May 1st of THIS year to decide on Lance's $25MM option. And if they decline which they will he becomes a FA. It seems like no one else is concerned about this?
I was concerned from day 1. That is why I have said it was a completely wasted move that made zero sense by GM Jeruh.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
because you have him under contract. ok so you dont want to play ball then you can ride the pine and watch Trey start. so would he rather rot on the bench or go a team who wants him and will give him the contract he wants? if you think Dak has no trade value than you are fool. look at Houston got for Watson who was a huge risk and look at the contract that the Browns gave him. Teams are in win now mode, they can wait until he hit free agency but that makes it a crap shoot.
The point of a no trade clause from the player’s perspective is precisely to have control over the team. Dak has it. The team could cut him today and no more money would flow from the Cowboys franchise to Dak’s bank account. He’s long ago received all his guaranteed money. In a week or so the must pay him $5 million. If you think Jerry Jones is going to pay a player money that is not going to play you’re a fool. Jerry played chicken with Dak and his agent once before and got slaughtered. Jerry is old, but his memory is sound enough to remember what happened last time he challenged Dak Prescott. Yes, Dak would call Jerry’s bluff and agree to sit on the bench for a season getting paid a total of $34 million before he and his agent let Jerry Jones get away with a nonsensical threat like “we’re going to pay you $34 million not to play”. Get over it. Dak Prescott does the telling, Jerry does the listening. That how it works when a player is better off with his existing deal than a new one. The Cowboys are going to have to agree to give Prescott a reason to sign a new deal. It is going to be good enough to entice Dak to sign it. Not a penny more.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
don't hold your breath. it won't happen. losing Dak would mean empty seats, lower jersey sales and he loses money. Jones doesn't care. there is a salary cap. he pays out that money anyway. whatever combination that leads to butts in seats and jersey sales. despite everything Dak is 5th in jersey sales in NFL. let that sink in. Dallas is tops in Jersey sales. Jerry is going cha ching
He's never had a problem with butts in the seats, dak or no dak. Or jersey sales for that matter