Dak had a horrible 2nd day of full pads practice at 2022 T.C

boysfanperiod

Reaction score
Not what I wanted to hear. I don't think he will ever get over the hump. Le sigh.

Why can't he throw it down field? Is it still footing? Is it arm strength? Is it vision? Like what is it exactly?

Open guys and you're still missing them after how many seasons?!? Sorry, I don't mean to vent, but Dak reminds me of a yo-yo and sour patch kids.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
Dak has always been off on the long passes, overthrown-underthrown, as well as he tends to throw behind on crossing routes. Not the worst, but far from accurate no matter his stats. Dak is no Aikman.

jrumann59

Reaction score
You don't pass for a career high 67% completions percentage average by being so "inaccurate", so let's quell this "inaccurate" rumor. At the same time, Dak seriously needs to stop suddenly turning so "inaccurate" from one day to the next. Old bad habits that he needs to get rid of by now.
accuracy is more than completion percentage.

zerofill

Reaction score
Believe me, I see Dak's faults. His pocket presence needs improvement, but that video is a bad example. He also needs to get better at leading his receivers, so they don't have to stop or turn around as often. He hesitates to run, causing a lack of yardage at times. His soft touch passes are often under thrown.

Since there's nothing I can do about it, I just keep hoping he puts it all together, because he has the tools to be a very good QB.
We can only hope at this point and thank you for a reasonable response.

They always want Dak to be a pocket passer. The dude has all the physical tools he needs, but he doesn't have a brain that processes information like Brady.
Brady is such a good example of a 10 cent body but million dollar brain.

Dak is like the exact opposite... 10 cent brain, million dollar body.

The actual times you see Dak do good is when he doesn't second guess himself. But those are far and few between.

He 85% of the time second guesses himself and makes late throws behind a receiver, or has waited to long and a defender is there now.

He probably could be a descent QB if he didn't second guess himself.

The times on tape that he didn't see Amari open last year was astounding.

So O.k... then take your first two reads and you don't like'em run the damn ball. You made enough last year alone to buy 5 new legs if you break another.

Maybe I am wrong and he can read the defense better than I think... if that is the case, he doesn't trust himself.

Maybe he needs to take a couple shots before he hits the field lol.

Ever play pool and notice that if you just drank enough to take the edge off, and not care so much... you make more shots?

I feel like Dak is sitting there adjusting his shot angle 50 times... I don't know if you can ever break him from that.
I feel like he reached his ceiling, and what you have now is what you have.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
just anecdotal evidence on my part: people who do the "but, but" schtick are typically wrong and unable to form a decent argument.

That's not anecdotal evidence, that's called an opinion, my friend.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The answer is inconsistent mediocrity. If he shined all the time he’d be Rodgers, Brady or the other elite cats
Nah, those others also miss passes at times, but they don't suddenly **** the bed by repeatedly Overthrowing wide open WRs the way Dak does once in a while. It's mostly mental with Dak, some mechanical.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True, but accuracy is the precursor that leads to completions %.
We had 2 1st round picks at WR last year. Arguably one of the better sideline receivers in the league. Couple pretty good receiving RB's. TE trying to bust into "elite" TE range. Those guys are gonna catch the ball. Consider the pass complete.

Now is when "accuracy" comes into play. If the ball has good placement....that means air, arc, horizontal, vertical, in stride, touch...to name a few....the receiver can do so much more with it other than get the completion.

I've done this before with some flak...that's fine. But open up last years Bucs/Cowboys game and watch the receivers ....receive...the ball. There's a remarkable difference!

Yes...I used the GOAT. It's just a more obvious comparison. Dak does not have to be GOAT at it....few are. But I do think he could improve. I think being more instinctual and trusting might help. Don't try to OVER read the defense. But you also have to have a little more precision and control with it too. I'm hoping THIS is the year it really clicks.

I'm not overly worried about long range...although we MUST stretch the field somehow and create space. Those intermediate automatic passes are what we really consistently need.

Having said that...how about we work on lowering offensive penalties while we're at it?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
We had 2 1st round picks at WR last year. Arguably one of the better sideline receivers in the league. Couple pretty good receiving RB's. TE trying to bust into "elite" TE range. Those guys are gonna catch the ball. Consider the pass complete.

Now is when "accuracy" comes into play. If the ball has good placement....that means air, arc, horizontal, vertical, in stride, touch...to name a few....the receiver can do so much more with it other than get the completion.

I've done this before with some flak...that's fine. But open up last years Bucs/Cowboys game and watch the receivers ....receive...the ball. There's a remarkable difference!

Yes...I used the GOAT. It's just a more obvious comparison. Dak does not have to be GOAT at it....few are. But I do think he could improve. I think being more instinctual and trusting might help. Don't try to OVER read the defense. But you also have to have a little more precision and control with it too. I'm hoping THIS is the year it really clicks.

I'm not overly worried about long range...although we MUST stretch the field somehow and create space. Those intermediate automatic passes are what we really consistently need.

Having said that...how about we work on lowering offensive penalties while we're at it?
100% agree!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
After how last season ended, I'm convinced that 99% of Dak's issues are mental. Either he's overthinking and holding the ball too long or rushes and gets careless with accuracy.

Why is it so hard for you people to understand football and the QB position? Its not difficult.

QB's depend on the OL to be able to do their jobs to their best abilities.

ITS NOTHING to do with mental. Dak has that part in spades. Its when the Oline can't block in the run game or passing when things dont look so good.

Are you really completely blind to injuries to the team and other issues?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Nobody hates the quarterback.

Heck he seems like a decent guy.

Fans just want him to be more.consistent. But the thing is, he’ll never be that quarterback we need him to be to advance in the playoffs.

I’ve resigned myself to it.

NO, actually you just dont understand football.

nobody

Reaction score
I think he'll be under an enormous amount of pressure this year just trying to live up to his contract. I think if things don't go well early that he'll try to do things he's not capable of, which won't go well.

It's very possible but we can hope that it's wrong.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
True, but accuracy is the precursor that leads to completions %.

I would argue that the biggest factor in determining completion percentage is decision making. At least, within reason. Dak rarely makes "why the hell did you throw that" throws. IMO, its his biggest strength and one that we don't really discuss much here. A lot of his int's (particularly last year) were to the right guy and just got tipped. You could take the best "thrower" of the football in the NFL and they would have terrible stats if they consistently threw into coverage or to the wrong guy. OTOH, if you are usually throwing to the open guy at the right time, your percentages are going to look pretty good.

Overall I would argue that Dak is a good to great decision maker and a below average thrower. That combination is why he is so divisive in the Cowboys fanbase.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
You don't pass for a career high 67% completions percentage average by being so "inaccurate", so let's quell this "inaccurate" rumor. At the same time, Dak seriously needs to stop suddenly turning so "inaccurate" from one day to the next. Old bad habits that he needs to get rid of by now.
you do when 2 3rds of your stats come from garbage time

pitt33

Reaction score
NO, actually you just dont understand football.
If that’s what you think.

I’ve been watching football for over 50 years. I’ve seen more competent quarterbacks than many. I’ve also witnessed many sub par quarterbacks. It’s the toughest position to play in any professional sport. Not all are great at it. The Dallas Cowboys quarterback under center right now is not great.

Neither was Romo.

Neither was Meredith.

Finding a great quarterback to lead your team is like hitting the lottery. Look at the Dolphins. They’re still looking for the next Marino. The Bills have their Jim Kelley replacement with Allen.

We get you love Dak. Just don’t be so blind to his limitations.