Video: Dak had most drops in league

black label

Reaction score
If he was accurate he wouldn't have soooooooo many drops.
High,behind, words usually used when Dak is throwing lemons...
giphy.gif

Hadenough

Reaction score
When the throws are so inconsistent guys will be second guessing themselves if they need to implement their, go go gadget arms to catch the ball!

Prescott did well to dump (All Pro wide receiver) Dez out of the league after asking him to play defensive back in 2017.
I watch many more teams play than the Cowboys and I see some of these QBs placing the ball when they throw to the WR so as to keep it away from the defender or to not lead him into trouble. I even see WRs go 10 yards downfield and slide and the ball comes in low as they slide underneath all the traffic around them. Daks ball placement is throwing to wide open guys who he misses badly at times. He avoids the guys with tighter coverage and throws safe over the should throws to WRs outside with the sideline as a defender just in case.
When he does throw to a guy running a short crossing route the ball is almost always behind him and it becomes a circus cath for the WR to slow down and reach behind him. He rarely throws to running Zeke. Zeke is always running his route to certain point and stops, turns and waits. The offense is designed to make everything so simple for Dak and let his playmakers do the work except when Dallas plays a team that gives them resistance thats when Dak struggles because the simple stuff is being taken away.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
'
You can use that same argument for every position...

"Getting paid millions to throw a football, they should hit em in the chest every time!"

"Getting paid millions and all you do is kick....should make it every time!"

"Professional athlete getting paid millions...just make a tackle!"

These guys should be able to make tough catches, I agree, but they are human beings no matter how much they are getting paid and will never be 100% successful. They are also playing against equal competition that is looking to defend those same passes, so naturally ones that require a player to leave his feet, change direction, or brace for impact at the same time as catching the ball is going to be a lower completion %. We are not talking about every pass, just a select 51.

You know the same criteria was applied to every QB and every reception correct? They didn't take Dak's throws and "cut him a break"......watch a KC game and see how many times Mahomes throws two feet over Kelce's head....it happens.....good pass catchers make those catches.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score

Not really......

Bad throw percentage bottom 5
1) Aaron Rodgers 21.2%
2) Matt Stafford 20.8%
3) Tom Brady 20.6%
4) Jameis Winson 20.6%
5) Josh Allen 20.3%

Bad throw percentage top 5
1) Drew Brees 10.7%
2) Derek Carr 11%
3) Ryan Tannehill 12.6%
4) Jimmy G 13.7%
5) Matt Ryan 14.6%
6) Dak Prescott 14.8%

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is very true but I notice an agenda with some of the posters saying that a lot of those "drops" weren't catchable are exaggerating. There were very few of those throws that were not catchable.
I don't see too many arguing about "catchable".

What people are doing is digging down deep about why it wasn't caught. Catchable and caught are different things.

A ball can be "not accurate" and still catchable. And of course an accurate ball can be dropped. People are using their bias to lay blame.

I liken passing to the art of playing guitar. The left hand has to be synchronous with the right hand....if not it can be anywhere from a little off to complete mess. Not just anyone can target the issue and fix it. A pro instructor or very experienced guitar player can identify it.

Apparently we have a lot of pro NFL instructors about.

phildadon86

Reaction score
What stats says different?
Outside of EPA, QBR, QB rating?

Where are these stats?

I'm trying to make you smarter so you can know how to spell words correctly and talk football correctly, but you might be too far gone.
You’re wasting your time my man. No one here cares about the truth in the stats. It went from he’s dink and dunk to he can’t throw deep to he only does it against bad teams.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
You know the same criteria was applied to every QB and every reception correct? They didn't take Dak's throws and "cut him a break"......watch a KC game and see how many times Mahomes throws two feet over Kelce's head....it happens.....good pass catchers make those catches.
What is the criteria for drops? I'm very curious because I dont see anything with a clear definition aside from personal opinion.

You're telling me that throws two feet over a receivers head is routinely caught, and should count as a drop? Sometimes I'm sure it is, but that's a very low percentage throw. I think their is a huge difference between a drop that hits a receiver in the numbers (and we saw some of those this year), and a drop on a pass that is two feet high or behind a receiver. The catch percentage goes way down in those situations.

Ken

Reaction score
So.he.needs to throw it more.precise.

Had this roblem coming out of college and didnt get better.
lol.

Has a higher career completion percentage than Romo and higher Yards per attempt.

Never good enough for blind haters.

817Gill

Reaction score
Sorry you’re limited to binary thinking: ball hits receiver’s hands = they must catch it.

There are varying degrees of difficulty with very completion; the QB plays a role in that.

Yep, as long they chuck it in the vicinity “hey, it’s your problem now!!”
Lmao what dude? Chucking it in the vicinity isn’t hitting someone in the hands. It’s hard for me to envision a scenario where a pass hits a WR in both hands, not fingers/not one hand then the other, both hands simultaneously; and he isn’t expected to catch it. If the ball hits you squarely in both hands and you fail to catch it, it’s what most logical people like to refer to as a drop.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Not really......

1) Aaron Rodgers 21.2%
2) Matt Stafford 20.8%
3) Tom Brady 20.6%
4) Jameis Winson 20.6%
5) Josh Allen 20.3%

1) Drew Brees 10.7%
2) Derek Carr 11%
3) Ryan Tannehill 12.6%
4) Jimmy G 13.7%
5) Matt Ryan 14.6%
6) Dak Prescott 14.8%
OMG, you did it again. you are arguing with facts...don't you understand facts doesn't fit the agenda....

TwentyOne

Reaction score
lol.

Has a higher career completion percentage than Romo and higher Yards per attempt.

Never good enough for blind haters.

So you are one of those guys who look at the stats and not at the actual game ? OK.

And you are one who defames people ? OK

You dont seem to be someone to really have a good conversation with.

erod

Reaction score
On the heels of the thread where he was 2nd in the league in 3rd down completion % comes the lead the league in drops. If one of them is held onto...he is the cowboys all time single season passing leader. If they catch half of those drops...we are in the playoffs and win the division.

Discuss...

Didn't beat a single winning team.

Choked in Philly when it mattered most.

Racked up big numbers in a meaningless final game and garbage time all year.

Stats are stupid.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
So.he.needs to throw it more.precise.

Had this roblem coming out of college and didnt get better.

The frustrating thing is that for every terrible throw he makes a really great one, meaning he's physically capable of making accurate, tight throws. Therefore it's a mental thing, whether he rushes the throw, tries to make too perfect of a throw, gets all excited when a receiver is wide open (which doesn't happen a lot with most of the receivers he has had to throw to, except for slowpoke Witten) or tries to "place" a throw rather than just pass as he normally does, I don't know.

But I'm hopeful McCarthy or some other coach can fix at least some of that...

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Not really......

1) Aaron Rodgers 21.2%
2) Matt Stafford 20.8%
3) Tom Brady 20.6%
4) Jameis Winson 20.6%
5) Josh Allen 20.3%

1) Drew Brees 10.7%
2) Derek Carr 11%
3) Ryan Tannehill 12.6%
4) Jimmy G 13.7%
5) Matt Ryan 14.6%
6) Dak Prescott 14.8%

Based a portion of our fanbase, Dak’s actual bad throw percentage is closer to .02%

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Lmao what dude? Chucking it in the vicinity isn’t hitting someone in the hands. It’s hard for me to envision a scenario where a pass hits a WR in both hands, not fingers/not one hand then the other, both hands simultaneously; and he isn’t expected to catch it. If the ball hits you squarely in both hands and you fail to catch it, it’s what most logical people like to refer to as a drop.

You’re telling me you can’t comprehend how the following are completely dissimilar?

QB1 throws a pass to a WR1 that is standing still, 15 yards away, putting the ball at eye level, square in front of him at his head. Easy pitch and catch.

QB1 throws to the same receiver who this time is running full speed 15 yards away on a crossing pattern. The QB puts the directly behind him and low so that the receiver has to reach down low and behind him to catch it. It’s objectively a poor throw.

For the sake of arguing let’s just say both passes are completed because it’s irrelevant to the actual point.

Is the level of difficulty of each catch equal to the other?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Didn't beat a single winning team.

Choked in Philly when it mattered most.

Racked up big numbers in a meaningless final game and garbage time all year.

Stats are stupid.

Stats aren't the total story, nor are they "stupid". They are an objective measuring stick, without them you're judging quarterbacks solely by wins, and as they say, it's a team game. Tannehill had the highest rating last year, but his team didn't win the SB, didn't even get there. Strength of schedule, injuries, coaching, receivers falling down, defenses blowing assignments, etc. all play a part.

A quarterback isn't going to win tons of games with lousy ratings very often, there are some exceptions like P. Manning in his last SB "win", but he had the no. 1 defense, Dak hasn't had that. Russell Wilson has only gone to the SB when his team had the no. 1 defense. A quarterback can get "hot" like Flacco in his SB win year, but who's to say Dak can't do the same?

If someone is solely using stats to "prove" Dak is a great quarterback, that's being too narrowly focused. But you can't say Dak's stats are meaningless, unless Mahomes, etc. have lousy stats but still won lots of games, but that wasn't the case.

You have to take stats with a few grains of salt, but they do tell at least part of the story.

817Gill

Reaction score
You’re telling me you can’t comprehend how the following are completely dissimilar?

QB1 throws a pass to a WR1 that is standing still, 15 yards away, putting the ball at eye level, square in front of him at his head. Easy pitch and catch.

QB1 throws to the same receiver who this time is running full speed 15 yards away on a crossing pattern. The QB puts the directly behind him and low so that the receiver has to reach down low and behind him to catch it. It’s objectively a poor throw.

For the sake of arguing let’s just say both passes are completed because it’s irrelevant to the actual point.

Is the level of difficulty of each catch equal to the other?
If you want to point out a specific pass be my guest but if you get two hands squarely on a ball you gotta catch it. Not much deeper than that man

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
If you want to point out a specific pass be my guest but if you get two hands squarely on a ball you gotta catch it. Not much deeper than that man

C’mon maayne. I gave you a scenario. Not a reference to a specific play. Are you realizing answering the question honestly would undermine your claim?

817Gill

Reaction score
C’mon maayne. I gave you a scenario. Not a reference to a specific play. Are you realizing answering the question honestly would undermine your claim?
The reason I dismiss your scenario is because I don’t see many, if any at all, throws in which the receiver was put to the extremes to get his hands on the ball. Obviously if someone has to reach all the way across their body to contort to the ball it’s a higher level of difficulty than a ball at the numbers. Just think it’s an arbitrary scenario in regards to the vast majority of the throws in the video.

Ken

Reaction score
So you are one of those guys who look at the stats and not at the actual game ? OK.

And you are one who defames people ? OK

You dont seem to be someone to really have a good conversation with.
I look at both. I have broken complete games down for haters and they insist i am making things up. I was right the whole time.

But i do apologize for lumping you in with them.