Video: Dak had most drops in league

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On the heels of the thread where he was 2nd in the league in 3rd down completion % comes the lead the league in drops. If one of them is held onto...he is the cowboys all time single season passing leader. If they catch half of those drops...we are in the playoffs and win the division.

Discuss...

If he was accurate he wouldn't have soooooooo many drops.
High,behind, words usually used when Dak is throwing lemons...

Swagger

Reaction score
2017 doesn't matter. Now go do this for EVERY quarterback.

The standard that some folks hold Dak to is absurd. Absurd.

It's not a standard it's a point raised to rebut the criticism that someone raised against Dez Bryant in this thread - watch the 2017 film of every Prescott throw to Dez Bryant.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Drops were an issue last year, and yes there were some obvious ones by receivers, but i would be curious to see what the rest of the list looked like for context. Does the average QB see 45 a year or 25 per year? Also what is being considered an accurate pass for this statistic?

I don't mean this to be anti Dak, i'm just not sure that he was a victim of his receiving corp.

You will have a much stronger argument if you delete the video. A lot of those 51 "accurate passes" caused receivers to leave their feet, change direction, and avoid defenders while attempting to catch.
Professional receivers should be able to leave their feet, change direction and avoid defenders.

starfan1

Reaction score
honestly I agree the NFC east is a bit weak but looking at numbers since 2011 no division has produced more champs not named New England. The skins have been dreadful for while and so has NY lately. Us and Philly keep trading the east. see we all can cherry pick stats. Quite frankly the AFC has owned the NFC as of late

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
It's a bad look over paying what the market dictates. The market says a middle of the road product shouldnt cost what a top quality product does.
Dak isn't worth top QB money and the only way he gets it is if Jerry wants to pay filet minion money for pork chops.
I'm a free market capitalist. I know how the market works.
Not if you think Dak is going to get anything other than a top-3 QB contract.

BigD_95

Reaction score
In the future, please save us all some time and simply say, “I don’t understand how the market works.”

really cause I see other QB's resigning and not becoming the highest paid QB in the league.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Professional receivers should be able to leave their feet, change direction and avoid defenders.
And more often than not they do, we are talking about a small percentage of passes.

I just dont understand why we take vague stats at face value, then place 100% blame on one side or the other. We are expecting perfection from the receivers without expecting the same from the QB.

Drops can be obviously the result of one party, but tally it up at the end of the season and you have a variety of factors...straight drops, inaccurate throws, protection doesnt hold up and a throw has to be altered etc. Very rarely is a stat in the NFL black and white.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Wouldn't seem that bad passes that were dropped were included in the stats, that would mean the receiver would be blamed for not making a fantastic catch, I think drops are only counted if the pass could have been caught with a reasonable effort...
"Catchable" is what this says. Many catahable passes are bad passes. I'd bet, the higher % of catchable passes that are bad passes leads to more "drops."

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One doesn't have anything to do with the other. Dak is the next one up to get a new deal. Next year it will be another QB, next year another.

This isn't new news.
Next one up? :huh:
Tannehill passed Dak and look for Watson and Mahomes to be signed before Dak.
Dak is falling back in the line as one might say and this is not surprising as the FO simply is not sold on him....

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In the future, please save us all some time and simply say, “I don’t understand how the market works.”

Stock-broker Nav22 in the house baby!
Hey Nav22 why don't you sign Dak...:muttley:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Drops were an issue last year, and yes there were some obvious ones by receivers, but i would be curious to see what the rest of the list looked like for context. Does the average QB see 45 a year or 25 per year? Also what is being considered an accurate pass for this statistic?

I don't mean this to be anti Dak, i'm just not sure that he was a victim of his receiving corp.

You will have a much stronger argument if you delete the video. A lot of those 51 "accurate passes" caused receivers to leave their feet, change direction, and avoid defenders while attempting to catch.

If he's the league leader, he's obviously far above the average.

Literally how statistics work.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
We hear a lot about Dak not beating good teams. Well how does one think those teams get to be "good teams"? They defend the passing game of the other team well, meaning they control the other team's quarterback. So it's not surprising Dak doesn't play as well against good teams. Now should he do better than he does? Sure, but then again the drops come into play, the coaching comes into play, the running game comes into play, and the defense comes into play. And the Cowboys walloped the Eagles earlier, back when Cooper was healthy, Dak was healthy and Garrett's job was somewhat still up in the air, I suspect everybody knew Garrett was gone after the season, not sure the effort was there.

It's not as simple as "we need a better quarterback"...

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Quite a few bad passes in the video.

The video is kind of funny. Sure, there are a few terrible drops but if these are the worst ones all season . . .

A lot of those passes were behind people, above them, into traffic, etc. This is like a rorschach test. Dak lovers are going to see the drops. Dak haters are going to see the bad passes.

As a Dak "hater" this is the kind of stuff that makes me concerned about him as a QB. He misses by a yard or two a LOT. What isn't shown in the videos are all the times when a receiver was running open and the ball ended up being behind the guy, causing him to slow down, catch the ball and get tackled and lose about 10 yards from an accurate throw.

As other people are getting to, I would love someone objective to go through and count the bad drops. The ones right in someone's hands that they put on the ground and compare it to other QB's. I suspect Dak was more in the middle of the pack for those.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Most of the time I would agree, I'm just struggling with the stat of 51 drops. I look at that video and I see a few questionable drops. At 55 seconds for example that was a clear over throw. I mean the receiver physically touched the ball, but was fully extended and never really had a chance at the catch.

When i look up the number of drops other sites are recording for the cowboys i see everything from 51 to 26. The true number of drops credited to the receivers is probably somewhere in between.

OH yeah I don't know about 50+. That seems excessive.

But I knew you were referencing that Jarwin catch because I had to re-wind that myself to see if that was a drop. Seemed a bit high. And its was. He had to extend to catch it. I expect him to make those catches because he has.

Blake

Reaction score
I like how the narrative that Dak is a bad quarterback continually gets extinguished on a daily. The haters that dig their heels in look idiotic. I'm sure it's because of your vexatious love affair with that notorious, 2 playoff wins choker who never was gonna be a champion, that preceded him

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The video is kind of funny. Sure, there are a few terrible drops but if these are the worst ones all season . . .

A lot of those passes were behind people, above them, into traffic, etc. This is like a rorschach test. Dak lovers are going to see the drops. Dak haters are going to see the bad passes.

As a Dak "hater" this is the kind of stuff that makes me concerned about him as a QB. He misses by a yard or two a LOT. What isn't shown in the videos are all the times when a receiver was running open and the ball ended up being behind the guy, causing him to slow down, catch the ball and get tackled and lose about 10 yards from an accurate throw.

As other people are getting to, I would love someone objective to go through and count the bad drops. The ones right in someone's hands that they put on the ground and compare it to other QB's. I suspect Dak was more in the middle of the pack for those.

The person who postsd this video doesn't seem to fit the agenda of either though.