Dak has ruined this team

foofighters

Reaction score
Think about all that we’ve given up for this teams buy in with him

-cap hell for the next decade

-losing out on good players and free agents

-he’s about to get his second coach fired next year

-the 2016 decision to go with him over Romo leading to a first round exit

-squandering the best cowboys team in 20 years with another first round exit due to poor qb play

-cutting or trading players who don’t get along with Dak or we just can’t simply afford them anymore

Think about the following qb option we had the last 2 years

1. Tom Brady
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Russell Wilson
4. Dashaun Watson
5. Matt Stafford

And Dak makes more money than all of them. I know this isn’t all predicated on Dak but it’s kind of hard not to feel that we’ve been cheated out of something since we signed him to this ridiculous deal
Jerry Jones...that's who's fault this is. No one else. It's time this fanbase start to realize this.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not really. I am not a dak fan, but he hasn't ruined this team. It was never that good to begin with. People like to gloss over the shiny 12-5 record and assume the team was good. But anyone who actually watched the football games and took a closer look knows otherwise. That 12-5 record was padded by a 6-0 record in weakest division in the NFL. Outside the NFC EAST, this is a barely above .500 team with a top heavy roster and no positional depth. Its a poorly constructed team whose performances swing wildly with an injury or 2.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
No we don't....that's what you want to believe....lol
You stated that Dak didn't ask for 40.

How do you know that if you weren't behind those closed doors? Seems like you are contradicting your very own assertion. Nobody can know but you do know.

Makes perfect sense....lol

Dorsett33

Reaction score

How do you know that if you weren't behind those closed doors? Seems like you are contradicting your very own assertion. Nobody can know but you do know.

I guarantee it! He didn't ask for 40 in the beginning. Cowboys had their chance to get him earlier for less. That I promise you. I wasn't there during negotiations.....but I KNOW!

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I guarantee it! He didn't ask for 40 in the beginning. Cowboys had their chance to get him earlier for less. That I promise you. I wasn't there during negotiations.....but I KNOW!
Do you understand the contradiction in your statement?

You can't say 'nobody who wasn't there can know' then follow up with "I wasn't there during negotiations.....but I KNOW!"

It doesn't work like that.

Wait.... You're not Tad, are you?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Dak may have asked for 80M. does it matter? who cares. the QB market is what it is. and Jones gave the contract. he could have given out a 28-29M per year contract in 2018, but Stephen wanted to play hard ball. in 2020 they could have given out a 33-34M contract, but they didn't, they played hard ball.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Dak may have asked for 80M. does it matter? who cares. the QB market is what it is. and Jones gave the contract. he could have given out a 28-29M per year contract in 2018, but Stephen wanted to play hard ball. in 2020 they could have given out a 33-34M contract, but they didn't, they played hard ball.
My point exactly. I first stated that it wasn't Dak's fault that he got 40mil. The Cowboys could have got him for less had they negotiated earlier.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Do you understand the contradiction in your statement?

You can't say 'nobody who wasn't there can know' then follow up with "I wasn't there during negotiations.....but I KNOW!"

It doesn't work like that.

Wait.... You're not Tad, are you?
No....read what I'm saying and stop assuming. I said I WAS NOT THERE FOR NEGOTIATIONS...but.....I know FOR A FACT...he didn't ask for 40 mil initially. I don't have to be in negotiations to know that. Reading comprehension is fundamental.

coogrfan

Reaction score
Think about all that we’ve given up for this teams buy in with him

-cap hell for the next decade

-losing out on good players and free agents

-he’s about to get his second coach fired next year

-the 2016 decision to go with him over Romo leading to a first round exit

-squandering the best cowboys team in 20 years with another first round exit due to poor qb play

-cutting or trading players who don’t get along with Dak or we just can’t simply afford them anymore

Think about the following qb option we had the last 2 years

1. Tom Brady
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Russell Wilson
4. Dashaun Watson
5. Matt Stafford

And Dak makes more money than all of them. I know this isn’t all predicated on Dak but it’s kind of hard not to feel that we’ve been cheated out of something since we signed him to this ridiculous deal

(coogrfan logs in to the site for the first time in a month, sees this thread):

giphy.gif

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score

My goodness.

This is just not true. In 2020, after negotiating for a year, they offered him a deal that paid him 35/yr (2nd highest in the league at the time) with over 110 guaranteed (comparable to Goff's record setting 110 guarantee) How on earth is that not a fair offer? How on earth is that a lowball? How on earth is that not trying to sign him earlier?

That offer was a step up from from the very fair starting offer in 2019 of 33/yr 90 guaranteed. He would have been the 2nd highest paid QB at that time had he taken that deal, before Goff and Wentz signed their deals. Same three questions as above.

FYI. They could not have offered him 28-29 in 2018. League rules stipulate that teams can only negotiate extensions AFTER the player completes his third season. No negotiations possible until 2019, when he was promptly offered 33/90.

There are a lot of things you can criticize management for but trying to criticize them for not trying to sign Dak as soon as they possible could for money that put him squarely in the neighborhood of the top paid QB's is unfounded and ridiculous.

The Cowboys tried very hard to sign Dak to a deal right in line with his peers and he played hardball.

Don't take my word for it though. Take five minutes and read it from the "experts".

Last edited:

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
No....read what I'm saying and stop assuming. I said I WAS NOT THERE FOR NEGOTIATIONS...but.....I know FOR A FACT...he didn't ask for 40 mil initially. I don't have to be in negotiations to know that. Reading comprehension is fundamental.

So I don't know because I wasn't there but you weren't there and you do know, FOR A FACT?

At least we can agree that reading comprehension is fundamental.

Dude, I really hope you are just trolling me.

basel90

Reaction score
yes, QB is important, that's why they are over paid. when wentz gets a 134M contract, it should tell you all. again, you assume just because stafford wanted to come to dallas that detroit was willing to trade him two years ago coming off of a 9-7 season. as you said, QB is the most important position, so why trade one of the top players?

and Rams were much more superbowl ready than the cowboys were. they also had McVay one of the best football minds in NFL. all facts you choose to ignore, given it seems like you just want to count the points in your fantasy football team.

and all the blame goes to Jerry and Stephen. I refuse to hate on any player unlike some of you. the players is what he is. its his job to ask for as much as he can. its the GM's responsibility to recognize talent and sign the right players to right contracts and bring in the right coaches. so I don't hate dak. I am not happy about him being the QB of cowboys but the job Jones' are doing is the root cause of all the misery we have suffered over the years.
mostly agree, and for sure coaching and the GM are a huge issue.
I just think if jerrry wanted Stafford he would have gotten him . That would not work obviously if jerry gets stafford and then keep much of the dead wood like zeke on the payroll or pays crazy money for overpaid other players. The coach issue is real. not sure any coach can be a real coach under jerry. Players see that and don't feel the pressure to perform if they think jerry likes them,

BKBDAD

Reaction score
Dak has much to prove and I just don't see it happening, especially with the aging O-Line in front of him! The Cowboys should have forced him to take the franchised tag in 2021 for $37 million he didn't want to sign but they caved and instead offered him a 4-yr.- $160 million dollar extension??:( Do you think he would have sat the season out instead of playing for $37 million? NO WAY! The Cowboys then decide that since Dak said he wouldn't play under the F-Tag, let's go ahead and reward him, albeit after he tears his ankle up & not knowing what kind of a player he's going to be, with a huge contract! Dak I believe is more worried about perception than he is about winning but we'll see, it could be a long 4-5 years....

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Jerry has destroyed Dak's window just as he did with Romo. Bad coach hirings-bad team moves! not Romo or Dak 's fault. It's all on....Jerry. Anybody saying one player is at fault are completely agenda driven. IMHO
i

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
My goodness.

This is just not true. In 2020, after negotiating for a year, they offered him a deal that paid him 35/yr (2nd highest in the league at the time) with over 110 guaranteed (comparable to Goff's record setting 110 guarantee) How on earth is that not a fair offer? How on earth is that a lowball? How on earth is that not trying to sign him earlier?

That offer was a step up from from the very fair starting offer in 2019 of 33/yr 90 guaranteed. He would have been the 2nd highest paid QB at that time had he taken that deal, before Goff and Wentz signed their deals. Same three questions as above.

FYI. They could not have offered him 28-29 in 2018. League rules stipulate that teams can only negotiate extensions AFTER the player completes his third season. No negotiations possible until 2019, when he was promptly offered 33/90.

There are a lot of things you can criticize management for but trying to criticize them for not trying to sign Dak as soon as they possible could for money that put him squarely in the neighborhood of the top paid QB's is unfounded and ridiculous.

The Cowboys tried very hard to sign Dak to a deal right in line with his peers and he played hardball.

Don't take my word for it though. Take five minutes and read it from the "experts".
Dak could ask for 80M. jerry could offer league minimum. and then they negotiate. it has nothing about fair or not fair. its a contract deal. and if jerry had a hardline, he could walk away. that's what you do in a negotiation, you walk away. that's not Dak's fault. the concept of fair or unfair is with the fans of teams whose emotions and opinions get the better of them.

we could have signed him for 27-28M, but stephen didn't want to go above 24M (or something close to that). great, you drew the line and you walked away. then the year after it was about the contract value you said but jerry wanted longer term, Dak didn't. and Jerry franchised him. 2021 they came to agreement and its average of 40M.

its not Dak's fault for getting all he could out of the contract. its Jerry's fault for giving in. just like its jerry's fault for giving to Cooper a 20M contract and jerry's fault for trading him for a 5th and jerry's fault for caving to Zeke with two years remaining on his contract and Jerry's fault for giving Lawrence an NFL record 7 year total of gauranteed contracts for 6 sacks a year.

Dak didn't ruin this team. Jerry did.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Dak ruined this team. Jerry ruined this team. Stephen ruined this team. Mike McCarthy ruined this team.

The Rams bandwagon has a few empty Seats. Byeeeeeee!!

Slick

Reaction score
Jerry should have let Dak walk. He got great value on the first contract, got lucky, Gave away the ranch on the second, dumb move.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Jerry should have let Dak walk. He got great value on the first contract, got lucky, Gave away the ranch on the second, dumb move.

I'm curious. And done what? Give me real solutions. NOT signed Brady,NOT signed Rogers Real solutions that were available to him.