Dak has ruined this team

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Jerry Jones...that's who's fault this is. No one else. It's time this fanbase start to realize this.

Some folks need a scapegoat seen as temporary. The Jones family isn't going anywhere, so it has to be a player, coach, or both.

Replacing either or both brings temporary (false) hope, then a few more disappointing years later the scenario repeats itself. :rolleyes:

Dorsett33

Reaction score
So I don't know because I wasn't there but you weren't there and you do know, FOR A FACT?

At least we can agree that reading comprehension is fundamental.

Dude, I really hope you are just trolling me.
It may take awhile but you'll get it. Just keep repeating it

My3Sons

Reaction score
lets not forget the Jones knuckleheads had almost 2 years to extend Dak, and they waited and waited till the QB salaries went sky high. in a year or 2 from now Dak's contract won't look so bad....the big mistake was Lawrence and especially Zeke
In 2 years Dak will be 1 year from a new deal.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry has destroyed Dak's window just as he did with Romo. Bad coach hirings-bad team moves! not Romo or Dak 's fault. It's all on....Jerry. Anybody saying one player is at fault are completely agenda driven. IMHO
i
:muttley:

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Dak could ask for 80M. jerry could offer league minimum. and then they negotiate. it has nothing about fair or not fair. its a contract deal. and if jerry had a hardline, he could walk away. that's what you do in a negotiation, you walk away. that's not Dak's fault. the concept of fair or unfair is with the fans of teams whose emotions and opinions get the better of them.

we could have signed him for 27-28M, but stephen didn't want to go above 24M (or something close to that). great, you drew the line and you walked away. then the year after it was about the contract value you said but jerry wanted longer term, Dak didn't. and Jerry franchised him. 2021 they came to agreement and its average of 40M.

its not Dak's fault for getting all he could out of the contract. its Jerry's fault for giving in. just like its jerry's fault for giving to Cooper a 20M contract and jerry's fault for trading him for a 5th and jerry's fault for caving to Zeke with two years remaining on his contract and Jerry's fault for giving Lawrence an NFL record 7 year total of gauranteed contracts for 6 sacks a year.

Dak didn't ruin this team. Jerry did.
Are you just trolling me?

I even bolded the key parts so you couldn't possibly miss them, again.

You're something else, bro.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Are you just trolling me?

I even bolded the key parts so you couldn't possibly miss them, again.

You're something else, bro.
I didn't necessarily disagree with the contract amounts...the question of fair or not fair is for fans to argue (as we are).....the big part you missed was about the years in the contract. it wasn't about the dollars. Dak wanted a shorter contract (4 years) and Jerry wanted a longer contract (6 years). that's where the negotiations fell apart. so it got delayed and the price went up as it always does in NFL as time goes by.

you keep ignoring that fact...

and as I said, Jerry could have walked away or accept what Dak had wanted in a shorter contract, which in hind sight might have been better because he could get out of the contract sooner.

it doesn't matter. this mess is not Dak's fault. he is what he is. Jerry runs this team. he signs the players. he oversees the draft. he oversees FA. his is solely responsible for the mess that's Dallas.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I didn't necessarily disagree with the contract amounts...the question of fair or not fair is for fans to argue (as we are).....the big part you missed was about the years in the contract. it wasn't about the dollars. Dak wanted a shorter contract (4 years) and Jerry wanted a longer contract (6 years). that's where the negotiations fell apart. so it got delayed and the price went up as it always does in NFL as time goes by.

you keep ignoring that fact...

and as I said, Jerry could have walked away or accept what Dak had wanted in a shorter contract, which in hind sight might have been better because he could get out of the contract sooner.

it doesn't matter. this mess is not Dak's fault. he is what he is. Jerry runs this team. he signs the players. he oversees the draft. he oversees FA. his is solely responsible for the mess that's Dallas.
You ignore the premise of the discussion as it evolved.

Premise: "The Cowboys could have signed Dak earlier and got him cheaper but they didn't really try and just lowballed him".

My argument: "That is not true". (Pick any one of the detailed responses I've already posted for further details.)

Now you're bringing in the length of contract aspect to move the goalposts.

The 4 vs 5 year point only became an issue after Dak refused (backed out of actually, if reports are true) the offer that would have paid him right there with his peers, in 2019. Lol at Jerry wanting six years. You're pulling that one out of....

I challenge you to find a higher end QB contract that did not have the player under contract for a minimum of five years. You won't find one. You will find "4 year contracts" but every one of them will be extensions of the previous contract which puts the player under contract for the "4 year deal" plus the remaining time of the existing contract. This is standard operating procedure in these situations. It puts money in the players pocket sooner and it gives the team the extra year(s) for cap management. Go ahead, find an example of a franchise QB signing that had the QB under contract for only four years at the time it was signed.

As far as whose "fault" it is..... I don't care. That aspect hasn't even entered my mind throughout this exchange. Again, I was simply responding to the oft stated assertion that "They could have gotten Dak cheaper earlier but didn't try so they had to overpay". That is just not true.

Dak played hardball to get both the money and the terms. Fair enough. He can do whatever he wants. He won, and won big.

Let's just not pretend that he didn't play hardball from the beginning of this saga, nor that Jerry tried to lowball him.

You don't have to take my word for any of this. It's been reported and discussed ad nauseum.

Hell, you can probably buy a "Dak's betting on himself" t-shirt" on Amazon.....

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
Dak didn't ruin anything, Dak don't sign the checks, Jerry does. Dak don't bring in free agents and draft players, the Jones family do.

1. Aaron Rodgers is a great quarterback but he chokes in the playoffs and haven't done **** special without McCarthy....

2. Russell Wilson is a damn good quarterback but he hasn't won anything since the Legion of Boom was dismantled and he choked away a Superbowl victory with other dumbest pass in Superbowl history.

3. Matt Stafford is a pretty good quarterback, but I don't think he's better than Dak. Its amazing how people are slurping Matthew Stafford's balls and he's been in the league 12 years and finally won, but Dak only gets 6 years and people are ready to replace him. What was Stafford's winning percentage after just 6 years? It damn sure wasn't better than Dak's. Give Dak Cooper Kupp, OBJ, Sean McVay's play calling, Aaron Donald, Ramsey and the rest of that defense and Dak would have won that Superbowl too. Especially if his team isn't leading the league in penalties on top of that.

Watson and Brady I wouldn't mind having.

But Wilson's, Roger's and Stafford's contracts messed their teams cap space up. But you want to bring in those quarterbacks to replace the quarterback that you're accusing of contractually messing up our cap space up.....

That's the dumbest **** I've ever heard.
MS is clearly better than Dak.Rams don’t win SB this year w/ Dak at QB.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Think about all that we’ve given up for this teams buy in with him

-cap hell for the next decade

-losing out on good players and free agents

-he’s about to get his second coach fired next year

-the 2016 decision to go with him over Romo leading to a first round exit

-squandering the best cowboys team in 20 years with another first round exit due to poor qb play

-cutting or trading players who don’t get along with Dak or we just can’t simply afford them anymore

Think about the following qb option we had the last 2 years

1. Tom Brady
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Russell Wilson
4. Dashaun Watson
5. Matt Stafford

And Dak makes more money than all of them. I know this isn’t all predicated on Dak but it’s kind of hard not to feel that we’ve been cheated out of something since we signed him to this ridiculous deal

this post is absurd, and im not a Dak fan boy.

None of those QBs were options. Rodgers was pounding on the door to come to Dallas? Ill agree with you on going with him over Romo being a mistake, but the rest is garbage.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
cmon man... its a team game. 1 player doesnt win a SB.

ok, let me mark this as SARCASM!!@!!
Not sarcasm.You are absolutely correct, it’s a team game.1 player doesn’t win a SB, but 1 player can prevent it.Like I said previously,there’s no way Dak leads 3 game winning drives in playoffs.Granted, MS lucked out some w/ dropped pick vs. niners, but still led Rams to game winning score against Rams kryptonite.When’s the last time Dak came thru in the clutch in a huge moment?MS did it 3 times in a row, including SB.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Not sarcasm.You are absolutely correct, it’s a team game.1 player doesn’t win a SB, but 1 player can prevent it.Like I said previously,there’s no way Dak leads 3 game winning drives in playoffs.Granted, MS lucked out some w/ dropped pick vs. niners, but still led Rams to game winning score against Rams kryptonite.When’s the last time Dak came thru in the clutch in a huge moment?MS did it 3 times in a row, including SB.

1 player obviously cant win a game on his own, but who the qb is by far has the greatest impact on who wins and who loses every game. If rams still had whats his name from the year before, they dont win a SB last year.

jnday

Reaction score
Think about all that we’ve given up for this teams buy in with him

-cap hell for the next decade

-losing out on good players and free agents

-he’s about to get his second coach fired next year

-the 2016 decision to go with him over Romo leading to a first round exit

-squandering the best cowboys team in 20 years with another first round exit due to poor qb play

-cutting or trading players who don’t get along with Dak or we just can’t simply afford them anymore

Think about the following qb option we had the last 2 years

1. Tom Brady
2. Aaron Rodgers
3. Russell Wilson
4. Dashaun Watson
5. Matt Stafford

And Dak makes more money than all of them. I know this isn’t all predicated on Dak but it’s kind of hard not to feel that we’ve been cheated out of something since we signed him to this ridiculous deal
It’s not Dak’s fault. He is not the only player on the team that was handed an elite contract for average play. The cap management and overvaluing of talent is ridiculous.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You ignore the premise of the discussion as it evolved.

Premise: "The Cowboys could have signed Dak earlier and got him cheaper but they didn't really try and just lowballed him".

My argument: "That is not true". (Pick any one of the detailed responses I've already posted for further details.)

Now you're bringing in the length of contract aspect to move the goalposts.

The 4 vs 5 year point only became an issue after Dak refused (backed out of actually, if reports are true) the offer that would have paid him right there with his peers, in 2019. Lol at Jerry wanting six years. You're pulling that one out of....

I challenge you to find a higher end QB contract that did not have the player under contract for a minimum of five years. You won't find one. You will find "4 year contracts" but every one of them will be extensions of the previous contract which puts the player under contract for the "4 year deal" plus the remaining time of the existing contract. This is standard operating procedure in these situations. It puts money in the players pocket sooner and it gives the team the extra year(s) for cap management. Go ahead, find an example of a franchise QB signing that had the QB under contract for only four years at the time it was signed.

As far as whose "fault" it is..... I don't care. That aspect hasn't even entered my mind throughout this exchange. Again, I was simply responding to the oft stated assertion that "They could have gotten Dak cheaper earlier but didn't try so they had to overpay". That is just not true.

Dak played hardball to get both the money and the terms. Fair enough. He can do whatever he wants. He won, and won big.

Let's just not pretend that he didn't play hardball from the beginning of this saga, nor that Jerry tried to lowball him.

You don't have to take my word for any of this. It's been reported and discussed ad nauseum.

Hell, you can probably buy a "Dak's betting on himself" t-shirt" on Amazon.....
well you just hell bent on proving that the current state of the team is dak's fault.

I never said lowballed him, I just said the offer was lower than what he was willing to accept. FACT. undeniable fact. the two sides didn't come to agreement and they walked away. FACT, undeniable fact.

so this low ball stuff is your line of thinking, as it is obviously your premise that he is greedy and that low balling non-sense is part of the logic you are trying to insist to prove Dak is greedy. all I said and its a fact that the offer was lower than he was willing to accept and that they could have had him for cheaper if they would have been willing to meet the demands back then than compared to what he eventually got (FACT, undeniable fact). the fact that Jones' walked away not willing to pay an additional couple of millions or so....its called a negotiation....at any point the parties can simply walk away (i.e. see Randy gregory)

i the negotiation sticking point was the length of the contract second time around. its well documented in the media and subsequently they agreed to a much higher contract value with longer length...if you want to say the media is not the proof of anything and show me where that's the case...then I am going to ask you show me as there is no proof outside of what was reported by the media in either case.

and it wasn't a 4, vs. 5, it was a 4 vs. 6 years and the reason behind it as reported by the media was to hit FA after 2023 when the cap goes up significantly.....that's why goff, Wentz and Wilson signed extensions and their teams willing to do so, as they all become FA in 2023 or 2024 (they all bet on themzelves just like Dak), with the expected raise in the cap, expecting salaries to go up significanty would give them opportunity to negotiate a much higher contract.

and Dak played hardball.. ok, lets assume he did....SO WHAT? he is within his negotiating rights to ask for $80M/ year as I said before....if that's what he thinks he can get. now, fans would balk and argue about contract value, etc.....but us fans opinions has absolutely zero bearing on anything other than our emotional investment and opinions in ranking players based on contract value (how many times did we hear he is second highest paid and should play at second highest level, but I guess now our expectations are lower because he is now the 4th highest paid which is what I mentioned back then too....).

facts.....Jones could have walked away. facts he didn't. you blame Dak for that. which is because of your anger and hatred towards Dak and your emotional investment in all of this.

Dak didn't sign himself to a contract. it takes two. a player will ask for as much as he thinks he can get. Gregory could have asked for 20M. would he get it? Clowney was reported to be wanting upwards of 20-22M/year for his contract. he didn't get it. he was on a one year deal with Cleveland.

once you put your emotions and anger and hatred away and look at this purely in a business perspective you will clearly see, its not about greed and what anyone owes anybody....its a business negotiation of what I think my services are worth (based on my own opinion) and what the other side is willing to pay and thinks I am worth... I have been in similar situations and demanded a much higher dollar rate and the contracting agency walked away and weren't willing to do it.....see, they walked away. I have been able to get similar rates in the past from other contracting agencies. see, they didn't walk away. its not greed. its business. purely and simply, nothing but.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
1 player obviously cant win a game on his own, but who the qb is by far has the greatest impact on who wins and who loses every game. If rams still had whats his name from the year before, they dont win a SB last year.
obviously. so whose job is it to put the right players in place with the right coaches to achieve what the rams did.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak has not and until he does, he has to be measured that way....but Dak is what Dak is. he did his best and his best is not good enough and may never be good enough...that's not his fault. he is what he is. and if he is what he is then why did Jerry sign him? why did jerry not move on and look for the real franchise QB? why did our scouting dept. fail? why did the GM fail?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak has much to prove and I just don't see it happening, especially with the aging O-Line in front of him! The Cowboys should have forced him to take the franchised tag in 2021 for $37 million he didn't want to sign but they caved and instead offered him a 4-yr.- $160 million dollar extension??:( Do you think he would have sat the season out instead of playing for $37 million? NO WAY! The Cowboys then decide that since Dak said he wouldn't play under the F-Tag, let's go ahead and reward him, albeit after he tears his ankle up & not knowing what kind of a player he's going to be, with a huge contract! Dak I believe is more worried about perception than he is about winning but we'll see, it could be a long 4-5 years....
actually the contract is 6 years, but with voidable years after 4 years.

and to your point, he probably would have played under another franchise tag and then walked away.....depending on his performance, regardless of some fans here calling it empty years, meaningless, etc., he might have and probably gotten a similarly large contract from a QB needy team. the fact is that Jerry should have/could have seen him for what he is and walked away. Jerry didn't.

and I disagree that with Dak is about perception. it is about winning. but he may just not have the ability. I would love to be able to dunk the ball, but I just don't have the ability. doesn't mean I don't like to dunk (I just lower the hoop ;))

Reid1boys

Reaction score
obviously. so whose job is it to put the right players in place with the right coaches to achieve what the rams did.
every team tries to land the qb. It isnt easy and it is mostly luck IMO. The Dolphins have been trying since Marino. The Browns have been trying since kosar. The chargers have been trying since Fouts(thye finally got their guy... again LUCK)
Bengals had been trying since kenny Anderson, finally got their guy. Teams hit gold and then struggle the second that qb retires. Want proof... watch what is happening in Steeler land and Saints world. So much so Sean Peyton said im outta this place!