Dak has the most games with over 400 yrds since 2016

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I guess it depends on you view luck. Is it success or failure by random chance instead of effort? or as Jimmy said when preparations meets opportunity (granted Jimmy stole the line from a Roman philosopher) I think there is a bit of luck but I also think the reason why top teams always seem to be lucky is because the are well prepared and seize the opportunity when it presents itself. If we do not play well as a team all the dumb luck in the world will not change the end results

Agreed, but there is such a thing as just pure dumb blind luck. A ball that is fumbled and bounces right back to the person that fumbled, given the shape of the ball, is luck. Certainly the one who fumbled should keep his eye on the ball, etc. but if the ball is fumbled and someone kicks it 5 yards away the fumbler can't reach it, it depends on who is around the ball to recover it. Players position themselves to make plays, not "I'll stand here because if the ball is fumbled and kicked 5 yards away it'll land at X spot", e.g.

Years ago I was asked by my wife to go the the store and get milk for our baby, at first I was going to wait until later but decided to "get it over with", so I went right away. I pulled up in a parking spot, as I got out of my truck I looked down to be sure I didn't step in some gum or oil or somebody's discarded drink cup and lo and behold! There was something like $45 in cash on the ground. There was no "preparation" to find $45 in cash in a busy parking lot, somebody else would have parked there in short order and found it, just happened to be me at the right spot at the right time. Call it "cosmic luck" or whatever, but that's all it was.

Again, not depending on luck to win SBs, just tired of seeing others get the good luck and Dallas missing out on it...

InTheZone

Reaction score
That seems to be the gist of some posters comments here. Though I will say while I think he is capable of doing it, I'm not depending on Dak to, as a few here suggest either outright or between the lines, put up 5,000-plus yards passing and 45-50 tds. I still think, despite the "loaded" receiver corps, Zeke will still be asked to carry the offense, at least in the realm of grinding out first downs and pulling the defense in to help stop him.

And I think he's fully capable of doing that, I know a lot here think he's washed up, has lost his burst, etc. And we've beat that discussion to death, no need to re-visit it. Maybe he has, maybe he hasn't. We'll see soon enough.

If this team wins the SB, or even gets close to it, it will be a TEAM effort in all phases of the game. Dak, or Zeke, or Lamb, or the defense can't do it by being the only really good part of the team. Needs to be "all hands on deck"...
I think we need to see an average defense first before we can hope for a Super Bowl. if 2021 shows promise then expect improvement for 2022 with a strong chance then. When was the last time a bad defense likes our sniffed a Super Bowl the next season?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think we need to see an average defense first before we can hope for a Super Bowl. if 2021 shows promise then expect improvement for 2022 with a strong chance then. When was the last time a bad defense likes our sniffed a Super Bowl the next season?
Correct

History in cap era would support teams need to be great on one side of the ball and average to above average on the other side with few exceptions.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
What would we consider average though? That is the question.

That's where it becomes tricky, because we had the #1 offense and a top 12 defense in rushing, passing, and points allowed per game in 2019 and STILL went 8-8.

starfan1

Reaction score
Its just amazing that thread after thread the same things happen. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. We all have players we like more than others. We are pretty much entrenched in our stances and it isnt going to change unless we see results on the field change.

I believe Dak is more valuable to this team than Zeke and my arguments will probably reflect that. there are others that think the opposite and we can throw all out all kinds of stats to support our opinion or agendas but it isn't going to change how we feel about said players. My favorite player isnt either one of them 2 it happens to be in the WR corps and I like all 3 followed by Parsons (who aint done **** yet) more than Zeke or Dak. Its funny we dont see thread after thread on those guys.

Not looking at the whole picture and blaming one person for the lack of success is extremely short sighted. This franchise has a variety of things to point at for reasons they have underachieved. Dak Prescott is well down that list. Zeke is well down the list as well albeit each of them have contributed to key losses.

I cant stand Zeke but I will root for him on Sundays but Ill admit it. There are fans that cant stand Prescott but try to dance around because they dont like to be called a hater. Just be genuine. Pappy for all his one sided garbage I can at least listen to because he makes no bones about it. He hates dak. So at least i can get the comic value in his posts.

Its the annoying fence sitting trolls that i find harder to stomach. they say they are just trying to be a fair critic yet can be found in every single Dak thread posting the same vitrol. or liking responses of that nature. So I just don't respond any longer.

and as much as i like dak the stat patrol threads get old too. all they do is bring out the aforementioned trolls. sometimes i think they do it on purpose but I guess the offseason is full of it.

InTheZone

Reaction score
What would we consider average though? That is the question.

That's where it becomes tricky, because we had the #1 offense and a top 12 defense in rushing, passing, and points allowed per game in 2019 and STILL went 8-8.
what was our defense in 2018?

If their 2019 defense was trending up compared to 2018 (from bad to average) then 2020 I would expect to be the year, expecting them to keep improving. Since they regressed I don't expect a Super Bowl on a 1 year turnaround.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
what was our defense in 2018?

If their 2019 defense was trending up compared to 2018 (from bad to average) then 2020 I would expect to be the year, expecting them to keep improving. Since they regressed I don't expect a Super Bowl on a 1 year turnaround.
The 2018 defense was better than the 2019 one. 5th in rushing defense and 13th in passing defense. 7th in PPG allowed.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Our offense wasn’t ranked #1 in 2019.

We had #1 offense last year with Dak not 2019 according to NFL stats.

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/offense/passing/2019/reg/all
That link you provided doesn't show total offense as far as I can tell.

It shows passing yards and rushing yards separate.

Here's a better link... https://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?group=O&cat=T&yr=2019&lg=NFL&sort=ydsgm

It's pretty well known that we had the #1 offense in 2019. We averaged almost 30 more total yards per game than the 2nd place team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When was the last time Prescott managed to beat a playoff team?
You tell me the last time the Cowboys beat a playoff Team. It appears to be your theme for Mr Dak 666 Devil.

Wow. You must be contributing a hefty amount for that. We need to be thankful for your presence and contribution to have a Devil for a QB. Can you perform an Exorcism or are we doomed with the Devil Dak.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Agreed, but there is such a thing as just pure dumb blind luck. A ball that is fumbled and bounces right back to the person that fumbled, given the shape of the ball, is luck. Certainly the one who fumbled should keep his eye on the ball, etc. but if the ball is fumbled and someone kicks it 5 yards away the fumbler can't reach it, it depends on who is around the ball to recover it. Players position themselves to make plays, not "I'll stand here because if the ball is fumbled and kicked 5 yards away it'll land at X spot", e.g.

Years ago I was asked by my wife to go the the store and get milk for our baby, at first I was going to wait until later but decided to "get it over with", so I went right away. I pulled up in a parking spot, as I got out of my truck I looked down to be sure I didn't step in some gum or oil or somebody's discarded drink cup and lo and behold! There was something like $45 in cash on the ground. There was no "preparation" to find $45 in cash in a busy parking lot, somebody else would have parked there in short order and found it, just happened to be me at the right spot at the right time. Call it "cosmic luck" or whatever, but that's all it was.

Again, not depending on luck to win SBs, just tired of seeing others get the good luck and Dallas missing out on it...

On things like a fumble having guys standing around will not get the fumble those staying in the play and hustling present themselves with a better chance of getting that fumble. I don't think it is by accident that top teams always seem to be lucky, I think teams who are well prepared, keep their focus and play smart tend to be lucky. Teams waiting on lucky breaks tend to be waiting a long time. I do think things like injury which are out of the coaches or players control to a certain extent can qualify as a certain amount of luck but again good team always are the team who tend to have so called luck

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
On things like a fumble having guys standing around will not get the fumble those staying in the play and hustling present themselves with a better chance of getting that fumble. I don't think it is by accident that top teams always seem to be lucky, I think teams who are well prepared, keep their focus and play smart tend to be lucky. Teams waiting on lucky breaks tend to be waiting a long time. I do think things like injury which are out of the coaches or players control to a certain extent can qualify as a certain amount of luck but again good team always are the team who tend to have so called luck

No doubt, maybe it's just that I'm a Cowboys fan, just seems that all of the pure blind luck things that happen to Dallas are nearly all bad, like Dalton getting his hand stepped on, quarterbacks slide all the time but don't get their hand stepped on.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You tell me the last time the Cowboys beat a playoff Team. It appears to be your theme for Mr Dak 666 Devil.

Wow. You must be contributing a hefty amount for that. We need to be thankful for your presence and contribution to have a Devil for a QB. Can you perform an Exorcism or are we doomed with the Devil Dak.

black label

Reaction score
HWpX.gif

CWR

Reaction score
Dak had one big turnover game and that was it. Zeke was the big turnover machine.

Dak has been playing off the charts. Consistently at a high level. In fact you would be hard pressed to find a QB that played as well as Dak before he got hurt.

Ridiculous to nit pick over an offense when the defense was as bad as it is.

Dak has had issues with fumbles/ints since entering the league. He needs to continue to clean it up. I think he will, because he's a damn good qb. Wanting improvement isn't blasphemous, so calm down.

You talk about Zeke and the defense as if I'm arguing about either one. Stay on topic.

Last edited:

starfan1

Reaction score
Dak has had issues with fumbles/ints since entering the league. He needs to continue to clean it up. I think he will, because he's a damn good qb. Wanting improvement isn't blasphemous, so calm down.

You talk about Zeke and the defense as if I'm arguing about either one. Stay on topic.
agreed his pocket presence isnt the best but i think its gotten better. the line shares some blame but again dak can hold the ball too long at times. Its not as bad as 2017 &18 pre cooper but he still has room to improve