Dak hasn't delivered. Why pay him another dime?

stiletto

Reaction score
So who you replacing him with? Someone that might get 6 wins a year? So you are going to let him play out his contract and get nothing but a 3rd round comp pick? Glad you don't run a business because that is a God awful business decision.

You don't think he is worth multiple 1st round picks, then you have no clue about football. Doesn't win playoff games, Dan Marino record was 8-10 although he made one Super Bowl and lost, guess under some fans on the site he was a terrible QB and shouldn't be in the HOF.

If Jerry is a smart business man then he will extend Dak and look for a guy to replace him before the next contract. That would be good business.
What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. We are there with Dak. The dude is 30, his known limit has been reached.. ceiling hit and he's constantly busting his head...we know he'll never reach the real goal which is a SB. So, why pay him like a top tier playoff winning QB when he clearly isn't? Seems dumb to pay a guy like that to me.

There's no guarantee a rookie is just going to tank. (CJ Stroud anyone?) ...The team needs to do their job and scout a QB, have him on a rookie deal and build a better team with the cost savings instead of paying a hopeless case like a SB winner.. it's time to move away from the ball and chain money-pit that is Dak Prescott.

stiletto

Reaction score
Well Dak did get paid once. The current contract was one that should never have been handed to him.
A first contract with a young, decent and growing QB is way more understandable than a 2nd bank busting one with all the warts known. In Dak's case, warts being certified PLAYOFF/BIG GAME Choker, the ugliest warts possible.

DCwarrior

Reaction score
This topic and the one under it is why this forum is exhausting.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Let’s replace every player on the team who hasn’t delivered.
Let’s wipe Romo and every player who has played for the Cowboys since 1995 from the record books because none of them delivered. The Cowboys have paid over 200 million per season for players and coaches who have not delivered. Why are they still being paid at all. If they cannot win a Super Bowl, what good are they? We might as well rebuild the team every 4-5 years. If they don’t deliver on their first contract, why give them a second? That goes for Lamb and Parsons too. What has either of them done in the playoffs while collecting millions. I just don’t understand it.

I laugh at all the clowns who buy Cowboys jerseys over the years, spending huge money to wear the jersey of a player who hasn’t won a Super Bowl or even played in a conference championship. What a bunch of losers.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
A first contract with a young, decent and growing QB is way more understandable than a 2nd bank busting one with all the warts known. In Dak's case, warts being certified PLAYOFF/BIG GAME Choker, the ugliest warts possible.
Sure, but a contract that put you on the hook to come back to the negotiating table sooner? The no trade clause? Even with his rookie campaign he hadn't proved to be that special.

stiletto

Reaction score
Sure, but a contract that put you on the hook to come back to the negotiating table sooner? The no trade clause? Even with his rookie campaign he hadn't proved to be that special.
Definitely agree, dumb contract for Dak but they blew it by not getting it done earlier. Everyone knows that. We can only pray they aren't doing something dumb like that again or better yet don't do it with the next guy.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The same reason guys like Kirk Cousins are still getting paid.

It is not rocket science to figure out how the QB position and its contracts work. It is not very hard at all.
It is all contracts. It is just that quarterback contracts dominate discussion.

After years of observation, I look at the disconnect like the difference in languages. Finance is like English. Billions of people understand the English language to some extent.

Economics is like Latin. It is a dead language. A tiny number of people understand it by comparison.

Practically all discussion frames contracts as financially driven, not economically driven. It is the main reason why most people conceive of financial markets dictating player contracts, while a few people view the determination of player contracts being dictated by economic markets.

plymkr

Reaction score
Show me a current Cowboys player that has consistently shown up in the playoffs and why pay any of them another dime?

There's an organizational problem here. Some of y'all won't realize it until Dak is gone and the same problems remain. Just as they have since Jan. 28, 1996.
I want to piggy back in this thought and it expand it. This is my summary of how I feel right now about all this contract stuff with everyone.

Pre season- players make the team
Regular season- players make their money
Post season- players make their legacy.

Our team and organization stops at the end of the regular season. Once the money is made our whole organization dips out mentally. This is the problem. I don’t want to pay Dak, Micah, CD, or anyone else because all of them have a mental issue with the playoffs. That mentality comes from the top and trinkles down. Jerry gets paid during the regular season and his ego and wallet gets fatter. No need to win in the playoffs because they’ll get paid either way.

The only players I would want to keep as of right now are the rookies, Tyler, and Ferguson.

This is why I am in favor of a total house cleaning, blow it up, reboot of the team. Our only hope is as a team we luck our way into core players with the mentality of Aikman, Irvin, Woodson, Emmitt, Haley, Newton and Eric Williams. JMO

ICP

Reaction score
They will be a use of his regular season numbers and there are plenty of QBs in the league that play worse than he does. And no, I don't think Daks the guy and don't want him resigned for the kind of numbers being thrown around

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I don’t.
you haven't dismissed QB's like Allen, Burrow, Jackson playoff records and made statements that they haven't accomplished any more than Dak and that his stats are better than theirs? I remember thinking it was a very odd statement considering all have played in conference championship games and 1 in a Super Bowl. Not to mention Lamar's 2 MVP awards. Awards not votes by the way.

If it wasn't you, then I admit my mistake.

Nemesis4u

Reaction score
You might be able to win with dak on 20 million dollar contract and spread out the 40 million+ around him but at 60 million 0 chance he wins the title.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
you haven't dismissed QB's like Allen, Burrow, Jackson playoff records and made statements that they haven't accomplished any more than Dak and that his stats are better than theirs? I remember thinking it was a very odd statement considering all have played in conference championship games and 1 in a Super Bowl. Not to mention Lamar's 2 MVP awards. Awards not votes by the way.

If it wasn't you, then I admit my mistake.
No I haven’t done that. You have confused me with someone else.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
they are only false equivalencies if they aren't supportive of the desired narrative.
Yes. @Rockport has confirmed it as a false equivalency, but this might not be the case for somebody else. The stats are what they are; QBs are not judged by regular season or divisional wins. They’re judged by what happens in the playoffs. To me, 2-5 is not a good playoff record for a QB going into their 9th year, especially with the amount of money that Prescott makes.