Dak hasn't delivered. Why pay him another dime?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I agree and we all know its going to be double down...but i will again bring in the one factor that could force his hand on a rebuild....Dak may be done with Jerry, funny the fans that blame Dak for this will have to thank him for forcing Jerry to tear it down...
It does seem Dak is not anymore enthusiastic about playing for the Cowboys than Jerry is about keeping him. I think Dak knows this season is it for him as Dallas’ QB. It’s in his best interest to play as well as he can and then become a free agent. What is a more interesting consideration now is who takes his place in 2025 and how is that QB acquired?

Chasing6

Reaction score
It does seem Dak is not anymore enthusiastic about playing for the Cowboys than Jerry is about keeping him. I think Dak knows this season is it for him as Dallas’ QB. It’s in his best interest to play as well as he can and then become a free agent. What is a more interesting consideration now is who takes his place in 2025 and how is that QB acquired?
No. What is more interesting is what do you then do with CD? Are you going to pay CD $35M a year with no real QB? Is that a good investment?

You think CD pouts now, just wait and see what happens after he has been paid and has a rookie with no clue what he is doing.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I think your locker room will be a powder keg once this reality hits it...the notion "Every player wants to be a Cowboy" has been paper thin for years and this wont help that at all. Lol even if Trey Lance does come in and tear the league up, he is a FA next year also..lol jesus Jerry sober up and look what you have done.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Dak is not sold on Jethro's BS anymore. "Dak is the priority", when no one is even talking to Dak or his agent about a new contract.

GM Jethro has become an old used car salesman, when people are being cars online.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
No. What is more interesting is what do you then do with CD? Are you going to pay CD $35M a year with no real QB? Is that a good investment?

You think CD pouts now, just wait and see what happens after he has been paid and has a rookie with no clue what he is doing.
$35 million per season smooths over a lot of rough spots. (see Justin Jefferson and his QBs). Philly shelled out quite a bit for whiney A.J. Brown and he was all smiles at voluntary OTAs. Jerry will ultimately do what he thinks is best, but there has to have been consideration about the next head coach and a team that has open options on personnel is automatically more desirable than one that’s already committed a large percentage of the salary cap.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
The backup 'plan' has been essentially the same since Troy Aikman retired: 1) Use any quarterback for the interim; 2) team tanks that season; 3) secure a high seed in the following NFL draft; 4) select one of the highest graded quarterbacks coming out of college.

...as if Jerry Jones can be depended upon to follow through on a wish-upon-a-star dream, lol.
Just because he's highly graded coming out of college does not translate to success in the NFL. And while you're waiting on him to get ready for the Big Show, meanwhile the players around him have hit their peak and on the decline. Now, you have to build around your NEW QB to support him. That doesn't sound like sound football decision to me.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Again what is your plan ?

Complain that Jerry doesnt spend ,

but at the same time want to pay a marginally 12-15 QB #1 money

Pay CD , Pay Micah

to lose in the first round again , and draft 26-30 .

Then wonder why things do not change ...:facepalm:
My plan is to keep working on the team you have. Make a few tweaks and give it a go. Make the O-line better. Get better at LB. Interior DL. Get a good RB. That's my plan. There are 31 other teams vying for the same Lombardi Trophy. This isn't easy by any means. I should hear this same sentiment about the defense. They also play well all season long and laid an egg in the playoffs. Shouldn't we be talking about that as well? I can careless about the money. How much he gets paid. I just want production on the field. Any team can sign any player they want with creativity. And newsflash, Dak is higher than 12 that you're speaking of.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
The backup 'plan' has been essentially the same since Troy Aikman retired: 1) Use any quarterback for the interim; 2) team tanks that season; 3) secure a high seed in the following NFL draft; 4) select one of the highest graded quarterbacks coming out of college.

...as if Jerry Jones can be depended upon to follow through on a wish-upon-a-star dream, lol.
Soooo....basically you're saying tank the season to get a QB that may or may not work, right? See how well that go over to the rest of the team.....lol.

Aftershock

Reaction score
Because for some (if not most) people on here find solace in the fact that Dak can win a lot of regular season games. They are old and tired and dont have the patience for another rebuild, so Dak is the best they think we can get. They know Dak has no realistic shot at winning a championship but will keep on hoping... 8 years and counting.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Stop lying. There have been several suggestions that have been posted many times. You guys ignore them so you can knowingly make the false claim that you just posted.

How many times do I have to repeat my QB Money Ball Plan before you stop pretending it doesn't exist?

How many times do people have to state that Trance should get a shot before you stop lying about no suggestions or backup plans?

How many times do people have to keep posting to start drafting QBs in the 1st round every year so you can have a much better chance at finding the right QB?

How many until you stop beating up straw men?
Who is Trance ? I suppose you mean Lance . He’s your solution? Lol

The point is we haven’t used 1st round to draft a QB in 35 years . Of course we should be.

And don’t lump me in with Dak homers . I’m all for moving on once we have a legit solution on the roster . And I see his shortcomings , etc.

I’m not ready to completely start over just because we’re frustrated in the playoffs . At least we are in the playoffs . Last year was first time I thought we lost to a team we should have beat with current QB.

I’m as frustrated as anyone but blaming our lack of success purely on our QB is shortsighted . We’d all like to have a greater QB. Until we do Id suggest chugging along hanging around the rim as I believe Jethro will ultimately do . Hopefully in coming years he’ll draft our heir apparent.

Until then we are like many teams with a less than Elite franchise QB to try and build around which we could do a better job of . There’s other teams which have built better teams without an Elite QB. That’s what I’d focus on.

I don’t see this as a team or point where we should shuck a QB that’s been able to take us to the playoffs with the uncertainty that follows. I’m not a SB or Bust type of fan. It’s better to make the dance than not at all.

While we aren’t one of the top teams we are a legit contender and have the potential of making some noise in the playoffs . Who boots a playoff caliber QB cause we’re disappointed or frustrated . That’s part of the business. 30 teams come up short every year.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Yea, and why I have little faith our organization can move forward like most franchises.

I have no faith Jethro & Son can build a better team than this. Sure,we’d like a greater QB but many teams are able to build around less than great Franchise QB’s.

Unfortunately we need to come to terms under our current leadership we aren’t the championship caliber franchise many of us grew to embrace last couple generations. For that we can hold Jethro accountable .

Chasing6

Reaction score

So who were the high picks we drafted?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because for some (if not most) people on here find solace in the fact that Dak can win a lot of regular season games. They are old and tired and dont have the patience for another rebuild, so Dak is the best they think we can get. They know Dak has no realistic shot at winning a championship but will keep on hoping... 8 years and counting.
Most teams without an Elite QB have less chance of winning a championship this era without an Elite defense.

There’s currently many greater QB’s in the league who aren’t winning championships. Maybe we can argue there’s more hope with them but the fact remains if you’re good enough to win your division consistently you’re a legit contender.

How deep you go depends on the team you build around them and your less than great QB rising up and or not costing us. Our QB didn’t do that. And it cost us.

I’m all for finding a great QB. And when we do make that attempt either in draft or FA then I’m all aboard. But just to start a rebuild because you’re frustrated in playoffs is shortsighted. It would be different if we were missing playoffs.

What regular playoff teams are letting their QB go cause are frustrated in the playoffs?

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Soooo....basically you're saying tank the season to get a QB that may or may not work, right? See how well that go over to the rest of the team.....lol.
:laugh:

Allow me to clarify for you.

I have never said any team should tank.

What you read is what some members have stated continuously, on this very site, for decades.

In response to those types of comments, I have said: 1) greater 'odds' associated with a high draft pick does not guarantee a great selection at the position; and 2) Jerry Jones' history of acquiring quarterbacks via the draft do not favor him making the selection.

What you responded to was my post mocking this long-held belief Jones will--not might, will--select a high round quarterback after the team tanks a season ON purpose.

Hope that helps. :)

Chasing6

Reaction score
GM Jethro has no realistic shot of winning another SB regardless of QB.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Jerry has plans, who new???

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
To boldly say that Dak "hasn't delivered" is basically a matter of personal opinion. Being exceptional in the regular season certainly has a quite meaningful impact on the regular season. If the individual in question values the playoff wins to a much greater extent, then it surely has merit. However, the fact remains, that if regular season success isn't achieved, the subject of playoff success isn't really a factor. The idea of "different strokes for different folks" surely comes clearly into play in that scenario.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
GM Jethro has no realistic shot of winning another SB regardless of QB.
While I’d agree it’s not likely with Jethro , I could see us going deeper in playoffs if we had a HOF caliber QB.

I just don’t have faith that he’ll find or draft one. But you have to try which he hasn’t this era.