Dak Having Avg Season, Missed 1 Game Yet Breaks Several of Romo Records

Havic

Reaction score
True , it is same as when NFL went to 16 games from 14 games.
Yup, especially important with a stat like sacks as it wasnt an official stat and we already switched to a 16 game season when it became one.

kramskoi

Reaction score
He was seriously padding his stats last night...against 2nd stringers. Other than night, congratulations to him.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
neither would many players like smith who got the rookie record goes for ALL teams so lets stop picking o our own players..Those that used to pay 12 games, 14 games all rolling their eyes as well. its part fo the new game move on enjoys our players setting records.

supposed to be a positive thing ..jeez the toxic fans in here!!
"Toxic fans" :laugh:

ArtClink

Reaction score
Yep, the salary cap destroyed team dynasties.

But I’d argue it created QB dynasties since he’s basically the only position which teams retain for most of entire career.

The teams with the most elite QB’s with few exceptions remain the most consistent contenders .

You can win without one but it takes so much more and difficult to maintain keeping it together.
My point was actually the salary cap was SUPPOSED to be the end of the dynasties but we were all wrong. It actually revealed the very dysfunctional teams and created new haves and have-nots based on the ownership and respective GM. We were suppose to get parity but that was based on each franchise being run at the same high level.

Well here we are decades later and the list of dysfunctional franchises seems to be growing, not shrinking. We are better off than a lot of teams if you focus on regular season success, but focusing on the only thing that matters to Cowboys fans (i.e., playoff success), we are as dysfunctional as they come and we haven't even made the playoffs a lot the past two plus decades.

In the end, the salary cap produced a list of well run organizations and a long list of dysfunctional franchises. At least other teams can hire a new GM but I digress.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
neither would many players like smith who got the rookie record goes for ALL teams so lets stop picking o our own players..Those that used to pay 12 games, 14 games all rolling their eyes as well. its part fo the new game move on enjoys our players setting records.

supposed to be a positive thing ..jeez the toxic fans in here!!
Romo lovers shed a tear last night after Dak knocked Romo out of the record books.:laugh::laugh: When the Cowboys win a playoff game next week Dak will tie Romo for the same number of playoff wins. This will all happen before Dak turns 30 and in only 6 seasons.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Romo lovers shed a tear last night after Dak knocked Romo out of the record books.:laugh::laugh: When the Cowboys win a playoff game next week Dak will tie Romo for the same number of playoff wins. This will all happen before Dak turns 30 and in only 6 seasons.
This - 1000x times this.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
dak played 16 games. He broke the record. Doesn’t matter how many other games were played- he only played 16.
Watt wouldn't have tied Strahan's record if not for the extra game. See how that works?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
My point was actually the salary cap was SUPPOSED to be the end of the dynasties but we were all wrong. It actually revealed the very dysfunctional teams and created new haves and have-nots based on the ownership and respective GM. We were suppose to get parity but that was based on each franchise being run at the same high level.

Well here we are decades later and the list of dysfunctional franchises seems to be growing, not shrinking. We are better off than a lot of teams if you focus on regular season success, but focusing on the only thing that matters to Cowboys fans (i.e., playoff success), we are as dysfunctional as they come and we haven't even made the playoffs a lot the past two plus decades.

In the end, the salary cap produced a list of well run organizations and a long list of dysfunctional franchises. At least other teams can hire a new GM but I digress.
The thing is we already had parity that equal TV revenue put in place. And how small market franchises like Green Bay and Pittsburgh built dynasties. The Cap was just supposed to maintain it with unlimited Free Agency.

The Salary Cap presented a new way to build and maintain contenders. One thru an Elite QB and managing Cap with great drafts under Rookie contracts and sifting out veteran talent which could be replaced by Rookie contract talent.

Basically we still have cream at the top but not as much under the hood or depth with a more watered down talent pool overall as contracts rule the era and how teams are managed.

And why injuries are so crippling. In the past teams could stockpile talent. Many riding the bench could be starting for other teams. Next man up was a real deal.

You could have 2 or 3 good drafts and be set for an era. Now you must not only draft well every year churning your roster to stay under the cap but you must know when to let go of key talent.

On the most part the teams with most Elite QB’s have been able to maintain a consistent contender .

Last edited:

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the regular season over, Dak has had an average season with stretches of greatness and stretches where he struggled. He even missed one game so in a season where he only played 16 games, he still broke several of Romo's records and even set an NFL record.
  • Most Cowboy's TD passes in a single game
  • Most Cowboy's TD passes in a single season
  • Breaks Cowboy's & NFL single season record with 22 TD scorers
Some of this is due to a very bad NFC East, an NFL that IMO continues to produce more bad teams than good, and of course last night we faced the Eagles-Lite. A lot of this also falls into the "empty trash time stats", something I think both Dak and Romo benefitted from stats-wise.

Ultimately, as a longtime fan, all I care about is a deep playoff run. If we fail to do that in the 2022 playoffs, then these type of big stats are meaningless, and it's another round of a season full of promise that ends in in playoff failure. I just wanna win multiple games in the playoffs this year and it's not looking good right now.
I have no idea why you're connecting the NFL record to Dak.

Eight of those 22 scorers came on return TDs.
Ito Smith and JaQuan Hardy scored rushing TDs after Dak left the game.
Dak threw TDs to 11 different guys (and scored himself). He wasn't on the field for the other 10.

Drew Brees holds the NFL record for throwing TDs to 15 different receivers, in 2018. Dak wasn't close to that one.

Edit: I take that back. Brees set the record including playoffs: two of his were in the NFCCG. He had 13 in the regular season: more than Dak this year, but I don't know if 13 is the NFL record.

Edit again: found it. The record is 13, held by Brees and Matt Ryan. Two guys did 12: Brad Johnson and Brady. A whole mess of guys have done 11.

Last edited:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lets see how he fares next week under pressure.
Hopefully just average that's all I ask.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
With the regular season over, Dak has had an average season with stretches of greatness and stretches where he struggled. He even missed one game so in a season where he only played 16 games, he still broke several of Romo's records and even set an NFL record.
  • Most Cowboy's TD passes in a single game
  • Most Cowboy's TD passes in a single season
  • Breaks Cowboy's & NFL single season record with 22 TD scorers
Some of this is due to a very bad NFC East, an NFL that IMO continues to produce more bad teams than good, and of course last night we faced the Eagles-Lite. A lot of this also falls into the "empty trash time stats", something I think both Dak and Romo benefitted from stats-wise.

Ultimately, as a longtime fan, all I care about is a deep playoff run. If we fail to do that in the 2022 playoffs, then these type of big stats are meaningless, and it's another round of a season full of promise that ends in in playoff failure. I just wanna win multiple games in the playoffs this year and it's not looking good right now.

Dak ...37 TD's and 10 INT's...=..3.7 TD's per INT...that is elite

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Passing record this era are ballooned by this pass happy mantra and new rules intent to enhance .

We all knew it when Romo surpassed some of our championship era caliber QB’s.

Just look at the top rated QB’s in NFL history all from this era .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah people with class don’t bring that up
Facts can be very humbling.

But HOFamers shouldn’t be shunt if they only had 12, 14 or 16 game schedules. It is worth mentioning.

Gaining 1,000 yards isn’t quite as meaningful in 17 games as it was in 12 or 14 for example.

lqmac1

Reaction score
It's more about era than anything. He's not half the QB of some of his predecessors.
Do ya’ll mind if we give the guy an opportunity to finish out his career before comparing him to the guys who have? He has improved every single year and still has a long way to go.