Dak: I give myself a "C"

InTheZone

Reaction score
I support Dak but he had some bad outings plain and simple. He knows he must improve and has been working to correct problems. I do get a bit confused of why so many are against him?

There are people that are against him, but I feel there are to many blund supporters that defend him at whatever cost. I want him to succeed, but I don't want to sit around waiting for it to happen if he's proven over 48 games to be average at best. Don't need to pay a guy a lot for that. For some reason though people seem to miss the fact that we're tired of excuses and 48 games is more than enough to show, so people (not you) should quit bringing up 3 years of bench time to 3 years of playing after 2018 like somehow playing time isn't going to help. QBs have bad days, but good days they look like a proper QB. Daks good day at QB really isn't putting the ball in perfect tight spots in coverage where only the receiver wins. I'm very concerned with pocket awarenees, tight throws, and leading a receiver open regardless of coverage. Haven't seen much of that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There are people that are against him, but I feel there are to many blund supporters that defend him at whatever cost. I want him to succeed, but I don't want to sit around waiting for it to happen if he's proven over 48 games to be average at best. Don't need to pay a guy a lot for that. For some reason though people seem to miss the fact that we're tired of excuses and 48 games is more than enough to show, so people (not you) should quit bringing up 3 years of bench time to 3 years of playing after 2018 like somehow playing time isn't going to help.

Right now I don't even think about Dak contract. As for his play? he did some good things as well as bad, overall on the season I would rank him as avg in his play unlike his rookie season. For me the big difference was locking in on Dez and not going through his progression as he did in his rookie season. Yes Alt game I felt was a bit beyond his control given how Green played but that was 1 game, there were other situations where Dak looked to hesitate and was late on his throws which will cause passes to be thrown behind his WR. Having said that am I shocked that a 2nd year QB struggled? No. I expect Dak to learn from mistakes as I would any young QB but not looking to throw him on the trash heap because he made mistakes last season.

aikemirv

Reaction score
When asked by Skip, what letter grade he would rate himself. Dak said, "I give myself a "C" It was average as can be." It has to be better then that. (Me too) Somebody has to let him know he was a MVP for 8 games.

When asked by Shannon, What does a Dak friendly offense mean to you? Dak said, "I am not sure what that means" (Me too) That BS term has no substance

Well there you have it. The fan base is delusional yet Dak is grounded in reality. The Dak lovers hang their hats on "Dak Friendly" and Dak doesn't even know what that means.

I'll tell you right now I wholeheartedly agree with him. Thank goodness he is grounded. There's still hope for him to improve since he recognizes the truth.

Dak is a Dak hater!!!

CowboyGil

Reaction score
I'll say it again: IMO this season will be a good indicator of what direction Dak is headed as a QB since his first two seasons were on almost opposite ends of the spectrum.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I support Dak but he had some bad outings plain and simple. He knows he must improve and has been working to correct problems. I do get a bit confused of why so many are against him?
Simple. It's because Dak royally unseated King Romo and forced him into retirement. Some can't forgive or accept Dak for those reasons.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Simple. It's because Dak royally unseated King Romo and forced him into retirement. Some can't forgive or accept Dak for those reasons.

I agree. 1st off people need to understand Dak is just a player he had no control over what the organization or Romo did. Dak can only control what he has to do as a player so for people to come down on Dak for something out of his control is just stupid. I was as big of a fan of Romo as anyone here and still think very highly of Romo but he is not the QB of the Cowboys that role falls to Dak and unfortunately for Dak it will take nothing less than a championship for some to change their minds and for others even that will not do.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I guess I don't look at things the same as many. I context Dak's season from what I've seen from 2nd year, 4th round QBs, over the years. I give him a solid B for last years performance. Did he step back? Yes and no. His numbers were not as good but his season was much more challenging then the year before. I think expectations are too high for Dak. Because of his first season, everybody expects him to be a seasoned All Pro, seems like, and he was not. He was a 4th round QB, learning the NFL, dealing with a lot of personnel changes and team issues and he learned a lot. There are not many 4th round QBs, in there second year, who could win 9 games in the NFL.

I think Dak is going to be a fine QB for us but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

aikemirv

Reaction score

On message boards Newtons third law can be changed to: For every "over-reaction", there is an equal and opposite "over-reaction".

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
It appears on paper he was average or below average
In a general sense, you're right that it does add up to an average season. But more specifically, he was terrible when all 5 OL didn't play most of the snaps in a game, and he was a Top 10 QB when they did.

when both Smith & Martin took most or all of offensive snaps (11 games)
1 sack every 29 dropbacks
212 of 338 2464 yd 21 td 6 int
62.7% (14th)
7.3 ypa (15th)
6.2% td (3rd)
1.8% int (10th)
98.0 passer rating (8th)

remaining 4 games (not counting last game in Philly)
1 sack every 8 dropbacks
79 of 122 681 yd 0 td 7 int
64.8% (8th)
5.6 ypa (33rd)
0% td (33rd)
5.7% int (33rd)
55.4 passer rating (33rd)

There shouldn't have been anywhere near that much of a difference, but it's worth pointing out.

aikemirv

Reaction score
In a general sense, you're right that it does add up to an average season. But more specifically, he was terrible when all 5 OL didn't play most of the snaps in a game, and he was a Top 10 QB when they did.

62.7% (14th)
7.3 ypa (15th)
6.2% td (3rd)
1.8% int (10th)
98.0 passer rating (8th)

1 sack every 8 dropbacks
64.8% (8th)
5.6 ypa (33rd)
0% td (33rd)
5.7% int (33rd)

There shouldn't have been anywhere near that much of a difference, but it's worth pointing out.

You can't combine a 141 and a 68 and say he was great in 2 games with a 104 average though!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

62.7% (14th)
7.3 ypa (15th)
6.2% td (3rd)
1.8% int (10th)
98.0 passer rating (8th)

1 sack every 8 dropbacks
64.8% (8th)
5.6 ypa (33rd)
0% td (33rd)
5.7% int (33rd)

1 sack in every 8 dropbacks??? Wow, which other Cowboys QB has ever had a worse 4 game pass blocking performance to deal with? Yet, people wonder why sophomore Dak did so bad during that 4 game stretch??? Seriously?

DCowboyz

Reaction score
No I do not if all failures were on Romo all failures are on Dak there are no 2 sides to the story

Are you a Cowboys fan? Because a regular Cowboys fan would never blame Romo for everything. We all know this. Just like it wasn't 100% Dak's fault last season for his "off" year.

blueblood70

Reaction score
b plus first 8 , d second ,8 id say c is accurate..
but not all his doing..he had help like rams an packer losses..thats the defense and those blown games were the 2 that kept us out of the show..bad coaching off wr core etc etc

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
2016 = A
2017 = C
B average and pretty freaking good for a 4th round pick going into only his 3rd season. Anxious to see what he brings home on his report card this year.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I didn't. That was an 11-game sample and a 4-game sample.

Not exactly but a 141 and a 134 and a 137 can cancel out a few BAD games when you are averaging. That cancels 3 awful games to get you to 98.

68,82,82,60,30, - that's 5 games in the first 12 that your QB is not playing winning football....

Section446

Reaction score
Funny to see the Homer's live in an alternate reality where Dak was good last year... Guy was a bum, even he knows it.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1 sack in every 8 dropbacks??? Wow, which other Cowboys QB has ever had a worse 4 game pass blocking performance to deal with? Yet, people wonder why sophomore Dak did so bad during that 4 game stretch??? Seriously?

Cause he takes forever to throw the ball....he needs 10 seconds back there waiting for a DB to fall down then maybe and that's a big maybe he will throw it....and YA it will be a dink pass you know a Dak check-down baby....