Dak is a Top 6 QB

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Has Tannehill passed him?

Tough to say. Probably, but it's another hair splitter and i'll just take the guy who is cap friendlier.

I think Tannehill is thriving for the same reasons Dak used to.

The more you ask them to do though the worse the team will be.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Dak can do everything that Brady and Rodgers did today. Except without the drama that comes with Rodgers and without the age that comes with Brady.

Dak hasn't done everything thou. That's the point right? It's the dividing line between HoF and Hall of Pretty Good.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Tough to say. Probably, but it's another hair splitter and i'll just take the guy who is cap friendlier.

I think Tannehill is thriving for the same reasons Dak used to.

The more you ask them to do though the worse the team will be.
His current situation does remind me of Dak's in 2016.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You guys are delusional.. he's top 12 and now with 2 exits he might be cracking top 10. I hate to root against the cowboys but I almost would just to see you Dak homers eat crow for the next 2-3 years of a bad contract and us intelligent analysts saying told ya so.

You know what's sad, this guy right here has 76 posts and he gets it. Some of you have thousands and you are still wondering in the wilderness.

Dak is a guy who is very reliant on his physical capabilities. He's not a guy who is going to get it done through his ability to throw the ball. He'll be 28 once the season starts again and at around 30, he will start to drop off IMO. Nobody wants to hear it but the writing, IMO, is on the wall here. If he can't be signed to a reasonable deal, then the team needs to look at doing the best thing for the team IMO.

Verdict

Reaction score
1. Brady
2. Mahomes
3. Rodgers
4. Allen
5. Wilson
6. Dak

He could surpass Wilson next year and get in the Top 5. Yup, I really believe what I'm saying.
Dak is arguably in the top 6. Dak is arguably also between 6 and 15. There are times when Dak has not been a positive difference maker. You can’t have that if you are a top tier QB.

He’s a good player. I want him on my team. But he’s not consistently a difference maker, especially in big games.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Look at Dak's winning percentage after his 13-3 rookie season and then talk to me how he can win games....oh hell, I will save you the time:

Dak's Career Record 2016-2020 42 Wins 27 Losses .609 Win %

Looks good, right? Okay, now let's look at how Dak has been since his rookie season anomaly:

Dak's Record 2017-2020 29 Wins 24 Losses .547 Win %

So outside of his rookie season, Dak has a barely above average winning record. Is that what you want to commit $35M+/season to given his personal stats have gone up but the wins have gone down.
55% would still be good.
But good effort, good game.

Dallas Cowboys win % without Dak since he joined the team? 36%. So he averages 20 points higher than his back ups combined.

QB wins aren't a real stat but EVEN IF THEY WERE Dak scores well there.
So the entire point is completely full of crap.

As to paying... that's what happens. You have to pay ANY QB.
You want a guy drafted at 10... OK cool you get to pay 5M a season for a guy who might not be able to start right away.
When he comes up for extension? It's the same market place as Dak.

You are going to pay 35M+ for any franchise QB.
If you aren't then you either got lucky and hit the lotto in the draft for 3 years of fairly cheap service or you don't have a franchise guy.

Dak's 31.4M this season ranked 9th in AAV.
Kyle Allen, Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray and Lamar Jackson are all about to get paid at or over 35M per year.
So is Dak.
Dallas can act moronically as they have thus far waiting on the market to just keep going higher or they can extend the guy long term.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dak is arguably in the top 6. Dak is arguably also between 6 and 15. There are times when Dak has not been a positive difference maker. You can’t have that if you are a top tier QB.

He’s a good player. I want him on my team. But he’s not consistently a difference maker, especially in big games.
There is zero argument Dak is outiside the top 10.
I think 6-9 is completely fair and debateable.
Arguing he's near 15 is just goofy and completely untrue.
The people that make that case are the ones who were saying Andy Dalton would be better than Dak.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. Brady
2. Mahomes
3. Rodgers
4. Allen
5. Wilson
6. Dak

He could surpass Wilson next year and get in the Top 5. Yup, I really believe what I'm saying.
It's not an unreasonable ranking, but other reasonable people could put Jackson, Big Ben, Watson and even Tannehill into the mix at this point. Reasonable people can set the ranking in different ways.

On a side note, as impressive as Allen's year was, he got panicked at times yesterday. I assume that game was just an anomaly, but he didn't handle the pressure well yesterday.

Verdict

Reaction score
There is zero argument Dak is outiside the top 10.
I think 6-9 is completely fair and debateable.
Arguing he's near 15 is just goofy and completely untrue.
The people that make that case are the ones who were saying Andy Dalton would be better than Dak.

That’s really just your opinion. I’m not an anti-Dak poster and in fact I would like to see him re-signed. But I think you are being a bit “homer-ish” here.

There are quite a few good QBs now in the league. There are quite a few up and coming QBs too.

Then you have the games that Dak just purely laid an egg. Far too many of those. Especially in big games.

I can see Dak being realistically listed anywhere from about 6-15 pretty reasonably. It wasn’t that long ago that many were wondering if Dak was a franchise QB at all. That’s not that far remote in time.

He hasn’t performed all that well in big games. That’s also an issue. The late starts are also partially on Dak.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
55% would still be good.

Dallas Cowboys win % without Dak since he joined the team? 36%. So he averages 20 points higher than his back ups combined.

You want a guy drafted at 10... OK cool you get to pay 5M a season for a guy who might not be able to start right away.

If you aren't then you either got lucky and hit the lotto in the draft for 3 years of fairly cheap service or you don't have a franchise guy.

Kyle Allen, Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray and Lamar Jackson are all about to get paid at or over 35M per year.
So is Dak.
Dallas can act moronically as they have thus far waiting on the market to just keep going higher or they can extend the guy long term.

So you are using this season as your "how bad is the team without Dak" argument? The season the team had their worst defense in many years and the main reason so many point to why Dak had a 2-3 record when he was injured?

So outside of his rookie season Dak has a .547 win percentage and Dak owned a 2-3 record in 2020 whereas his 'back-ups/replacements' had a combined record of 4-7. So break it down:

2020 Record by Dallas QB

Dak Prescott 2-3 .400 Win %
Andy Dalton 4-5 .444 Win %
Ben DiNucci 0-1 .000 Win %
Garrett Gilbert 0-1 .000 Win %

So based on 2020 Andy Dalton has a better win % than Dak so should Dalton be paid as much as Dak or more? I mean considering that Dalton won more than Dak with the same equally bad defense.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
1. Brady
2. Mahomes
3. Rodgers
4. Allen
5. Wilson
6. Dak

I don't trust you. I trust @CATCH17 . He does better QB evaluations. He called it before the draft that Mahomes and Watson would not be good fit for NFL and that Stafford and Dalton are better than Dak. so I would put Stafford at 6, Dalton at 7, and we can let him decide where Dak falls....:rolleyes:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
55% would still be good.

So is Dak.

This is slanted. First of all, and really the only point that need be made here is that the starting QB has every advantage over the backup. The Starting QB should be significantly higher, in terms of winning percentage, over all of the Backups combined because he has all of the advantages. And yet, the backup QB, this year, the first year in Dak's career that a backup has even gotten time, outplayed him in terms of the only stat that counts. Wins.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Where does Watson, Jackson, Tanneyhill Herbert Murray Rank. Just asking for a friend.
there can be a debate about Watson....he has had two losing seasons that are pretty bad...4 wins....cowboys under campo with Quincy Carter and those characters on the team won 5....so 4 wins is pretty bad.

Tanneyhill is a true defintion of a bus driver. he won a couple of games last year, throwing for less than 100 yards, just sitting back and watching Henry just dismantle the opposition.....

Herbert is a rookie, maybe in a couple of years we can put him up there, but right now its potential....not fully realized.

I don't like Murray....I think he is middle of the pack..

I don't like Jackson. I don't like RBs playing QB and he will get neurtralized in the playoffs. somebody will spy on him, contain him and he has to pass from the pocket and read defenses and he can't do that very well.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That’s really just your opinion. I’m not an anti-Dak poster and in fact I would like to see him re-signed. But I think you are being a bit “homer-ish” here.

There are quite a few good QBs now in the league. There are quite a few up and coming QBs too.

Then you have the games that Dak just purely laid an egg. Far too many of those. Especially in big games.

I can see Dak being realistically listed anywhere from about 6-15 pretty reasonably. It wasn’t that long ago that many were wondering if Dak was a franchise QB at all. That’s not that far remote in time.

He hasn’t performed all that well in big games. That’s also an issue. The late starts are also partially on Dak.
No, it's not just my opinion.
I can show you a dozen rankings of professionals that have Dak 6-9.
The very lowest I saw Dak ranked was 12th.
They keep advanced metrics that are meant to remove outside factors and JUST focus on the QB. Those put Dak 8th.

Whats more is Dak has grown considerably into a much larger playmaker over 2019 and his limited 2020 as the team added weapons.

No sane person believes Dal is near 15th. If they do they are in fact a hater.
No less so than someone arguing he was 3rd best would be a homer.

You can look at last year and the very same team and see what Andy Dalton did versus Dak. The greatly reduced EPA and CPOE for Andy with the same team around him.

2016 Dak was a bus driv er behind a beautiful OL and RB combo that actually had some defense.
Since then he has had no such luxuries. Travis health then retirement. Tyron health. Zeke wear and tear after 6 game suspension.
Dez release and failure to sign anyone better than Allen Hurns.
Riding with Witten two years two long.
Dak hasn't had any gifts in a long time short of the trade for Amari which he maximized and the drafting of CeeDee where CeeDee was on a record rookie pace when Dak was injured.

Dallas saw was a 24th rated QB looked like in Andy Dalton and it was not pretty.