Dak is currently the most sacked QB in the NFL

Praxit

Reaction score
..thats an awful stat to be a leader in. OL is slowly improving though, so is Dak. Hopefully, at end of season Dak wont be the first anymore. .. ;)

renny

Reaction score
He needs to be smart with it obviously and slide out of the pocket and dump it off too....too many times he holds too long....he needs a plan to move when pressured also which I feel sometimes he doesn’t have
I guess he's in a no win situation, some says he leaves the pocket into sacks. So which is it should he move out of the pocket or stay in the pocket?

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
If I had a crisp 20 dollar bill every time I yelled "throw it throw it!!" During the game I would be looking at a brand new corvette

Yep... Dak does not have a good “clock” as a QB and he commits the cardinal sin of turning his back to the rush FAR too often. His footwork also deteriorates rapidly under pressure and he refuses to step up and into pressure to make a throw (knowingly taking a hit to do so)

Those negatives aside— Dak is a good runner and the scramble for the TD was a thing of beauty the other night. He is also strong as an ox— so he is durable and the third down conversion where he muscled the ball to Gallup with a DL on his waist was a play very few QBs could have made. Finally— the guy is generally a solid ball security QB (a few games notwithstanding of course)— and he is a great leader and handles himself well in the media and in the huddle.

He is playing better with Cooper in the mix and while he has his flaws— there are some things to like about him.

Hadenough

Reaction score
It's a myriad of things. Some of it is him holding onto the ball too long. Some of it is the oline has stretches where they're terrible. Most of it, though, continues to be horribly designed plays that take forever to develop, IMO.
Exactly!

Bullet22

Reaction score
It's a myriad of things. Some of it is him holding onto the ball too long. Some of it is the oline has stretches where they're terrible. Most of it, though, continues to be horribly designed plays that take forever to develop, IMO.
So did Romo, but Dak doesn't as much since Cooper...

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Yep... Dak does not have a good “clock” as a QB and he commits the cardinal sin of turning his back to the rush FAR too often. His footwork also deteriorates rapidly under pressure and he refuses to step up and into pressure to make a throw (knowingly taking a hit to do so)

Those negatives aside— Dak is a good runner and the scramble for the TD was a thing of beauty the other night. He is also strong as an ox— so he is durable and the third down conversion where he muscled the ball to Gallup with a DL on his waist was a play very few QBs could have made. Finally— the guy is generally a solid ball security QB (a few games notwithstanding of course)— and he is a great leader and handles himself well in the media and in the huddle.

He is playing better with Cooper in the mix and while he has his flaws— there are some things to like about him.

I think Dak, for whatever reason, has gotten gun shy.

Maybe I looked past it in 2016 because my expectations were so low when he took over for Romo or subconsciously excused any apparent goof he made as simply inexperience.

But this hesitation to simply let go of the ball became glaring to me last year. I think he’s been so conscious of not throwing INTs to the point he has to see the receiver open before he throws it (Aikman and Romo have noted it). Look at the type of routes he’s been most successful connecting on, basic comeback routes and short slants. Look at the breakdown of his throws (something like 23rd in the NFL in pass attempts over 20 yards). Garrett himself said the ball needs to come out quicker. The 90-yard play to Cooper (The actual pass was 21-yards/Cooper ran 69 yards) was more of a big league throw that you have to make as a NFL QB, so hopefully that’s a good sign.

That’s all I got.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
You guys have to know a lot of those sacks are 100% on dak. I mean the guy doesn't know how to move in the pocket. And not like he's just bad at it, the guy literally doesn't know how to do it.

We need a legit qb coach to groom dak.

cnuball21

Reaction score
His pocket presence and awareness is terrible. The sack he took on 2nd and goal from the 4 was inexcusable.

This...

OL isn’t what it used to be, but it’s still solid.

I honestly don’t think Dak thrown it away out of bounds all year.

He has taken some inexcusable sacks this year.

Sydla

Reaction score
This...

OL isn’t what it used to be, but it’s still solid.

I honestly don’t think Dak thrown it away out of bounds all year.

He has taken some inexcusable sacks this year.

The most egregious are when he scrambles and runs out of bounds taking a sack when all he has to do is just throw it out of bounds.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Embarrassing. So much money and draft capital is invested in the O-line to produce these kinds of results.

Yes - Dak runs into a lot of sacks, and yes the OL is trending upward after a huge series of setbacks, but sheesh.

Three backups up playing, and the QB has zero pocket awareness.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I think Dak, for whatever reason, has gotten gun shy.

Maybe I looked past it in 2016 because my expectations were so low when he took over for Romo or subconsciously excused any apparent goof he made as simply inexperience.

But this hesitation to simply let go of the ball became glaring to me last year. I think he’s been so conscious of not throwing INTs to the point he has to see the receiver open before he throws it (Aikman and Romo have noted it). Look at the type of routes he’s been most successful connecting on, basic comeback routes and short slants. Look at the breakdown of his throws (something like 23rd in the NFL in pass attempts over 20 yards). Garrett himself said the ball needs to come out quicker. The 90-yard play to Cooper (The actual pass was 21-yards/Cooper ran 69 yards) was more of a big league throw that you have to make as a NFL QB, so hopefully that’s a good sign.

That’s all I got.

The light bulb has to come on internally... he is being caoched and given a ton of information to work on— but the human mind can only process so much

Romo got to the point where he was only working on one big tweak each offseason... Dak should do the same and the coaches should help him with that.

A lot of this will hopefully clear up with more experience, better chemistry with his WRs, and improving protections— but he has a long way to go to stabilize some of his mechanics

No matter what the coaches are doing— undisciplined players revert back to old habits. I think Dak has several bad habits that crop up when he’s under pressure— and he simply has to get those under control if he is going to sustain success in the NFL

cnuball21

Reaction score
The most egregious are when he scrambles and runs out of bounds taking a sack when all he has to do is just throw it out of bounds.

I’ve seen him scramble and run out of bounds for a loss...more than once.

I like Dak, and really any him to be good, but his awareness and anticipation are really poor sometimes.