Dak is good enough to win a Super Bowl--is Garrett?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, this old college linebacker who is now 25 pounds overweight said it. Here is why I believe so even is Dak is or is not the best QB in our division (heck, at this point it might be Foles).

The NFL and the NBA have something in common with wanting to create more offense over the years, and that is using analytics the way MLB has done. Ironically, the impact has been far greater in the NBA and NFL than MLB.

The key is creating ways to more efficiently create offense. It took a while for coaches in the NBA to break tradition, but the 3 point shot is simply more efficient than the 2 point shot. This realization have virtually made the lumbering big post players who sucked on offense obsolete in today's NBA. Even post players who were offensively elite in college are useless--see Jahlil Okafor for a great example. Why is this? Because with the emphasis on perimeter play, "bigs" have to be able to switch cleanly and effectively while playing defense away from the basket. Coaches scheme this way. The few teams that are holdouts, such as Memphis, have no shot of going deep into the playoffs. Teams with individual outlier players like the 76ers with Embiid can play both ways, and in a way they are the only team who can play the game from the inside out today in the NBA with any degree of success. For most teams, it doesn't make sense to play any other way. If you don't have 3 point shooters, you aren't winning in today's NBA.

How has this happened in the NFL? There have always been coaches with a unique twist on schemes--Bill Walsh on offense, Buddy Ryan on defense--but variations of the West Coast offense have proven to be the most efficient way for most teams to move the ball. Fans wanted to see more action within the football games. Pass minded coaches like Sid Gillman, Don Coryell, and Bill Walsh won championships with passing offenses. What I believe caught the attention of many observers was that Walsh's offensive philosophy was unlike previous air attacks that threw only in long-yardage situations or to surprise the opponent.

Why was Walsh so successful? He was lucky enough have a smart QB who was also accurate by the standards of his day. Walsh identified something: a strong, inaccurate arm that throws long incompletions accomplishes nothing (see Jeff George, Jay Cutler, etc.). The most important component of a QB's arsenal is the ability to accurately deliver short passes in the 5-15 yard range to WR's and RB's.

Dak doesn't have the strongest arm for sure, but he has become very accurate:lmao2:. He also has a running game to support him. An accurate passer in that 5-15 yard range plus a RB that can move the chains can win most games on any day with the proper scheme. And that is the kicker...

Who creates the schemes? The coaching staff, and the lead role is taken by the head coach. We don't have Bill Bellicheat, Bill Walsh, Sean Payton, or even Andy Reid. We have Jason Garrett. Garrett has one of the most accurate QB's in the NFL. He has one of the best, if not the best, RB in the NFL. He has a certifiable weapon in Cooper. The defense is very good; when healthy, the o-line is top three in the NFL.

We just watched in two weeks a Philadelphia team led by Nick Foles rip apart the Rams and Texans defenses with a worse running game, o-line, and defense. That team looks like they can beat anyone in the league right now, and are not as good as we are.

If Garrett can't get it done by next year, he must go. Period.

Ok Man lets not consider that a QB nees to have the following to win ....one with accuracy,poise in the pocket, knows how to lead the WR, proper footbwork,good vision downfield,reading defenses, some of the many flaws Dak has.....if we ever get to the Superbowl with Dak it will be with a Ravens 2000 defense and the refs and luck on our side....mxmas and come back from fantasy land thks....

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
At some point Dak is going to have put in big boy pants and play like am nfl qb. Until he does that, it won’t matter much who the person on the sideline is.
It always matters who’s on the sideline. The coaches design the offense and usually call the plays. Coaching Matters a lot!! Dak needs to play welll and Linehan can help him
play well with a smart game plan and smart play calls.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It always matters who’s on the sideline. The coaches design the offense and usually call the plays. Coaching Matters a lot!! Dak needs to play welll and Linehan can help him

Dak is "Hopeless".....so stop with the scheme and linehan theories....Trash is Trash even if you compact it......mxmas

Last edited:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Dak doesn't have the strongest arm for sure, but he has become very accurate. He also has a running game to support him. An accurate passer in that 5-15 yard range plus a RB that can move the chains can win most games on any day with the proper scheme. And that is the
:thumbup:
HTqobvp.jpg

We'll have to disagree on that.
:rolleyes:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Agree 110%. Players are only going to perform how they're coached and what their told. Some of our fan base is ignorant to the obvious.

Haimerej

Reaction score

You think he's, "one of the most accurate QBs," in the league? If that's the case we should be complaining about Zeke's workload. Why put so much on the running game when they've got one of the most accurate passers? They're obviously wasting Dak's talent calling all these running plays, right?

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree 110%. Players are only going to perform how they're coached and what their told. Some of our fan base is ignorant to the obvious.

Players need to have something called "Talent" or else tell the Cowboys to come and sign me up to a 100 million contract and make me the Stud QB of our Cowboys.....I mean its all about coaching right???? lol

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Like in the 4th quarter and overtime of the Philly game?
Yes. If we could That Dak consistently every week I would be happy as can be. But the sad truth is that is the anonmoly, not the norm with this guy. It’s amazing how much better a play caller and head coach we have when players execute their position.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CowboyRoy said:
Like in the 4th quarter and overtime of the Philly game?

Yes. If we could That Dak consistently every week I would be happy as can be. But the sad truth is that is the anonmoly, not the norm with this guy. It’s amazing how much better a play caller and head coach we have when players execute their position.

If the defense we're facing in the 4th Q is missing 6 starters yes maybe Dak can do his 4th dink and dunk comeback with zeke leading the way....

irishline

Reaction score
Well for starters in his 3rd year he has won a lot more games than your god Tony Romo. He will also be taking the Dallas Cowboys to a second playoff appearance in 3 years, something this team never did under Tony Romo.

First 45 games in the NFL as a starter:

Dak 30-15
Romo 31-14

Romo went to the playoffs his first two years (and 3 of our his first 4).

Not bashing Dak, just people who say things that aren't true without even bothering to look them up. Want to state another incorrect fact?

BoysForLife

Reaction score
You think he's, "one of the most accurate QBs," in the league? If that's the case we should be complaining about Zeke's workload. Why put so much on the running game when they've got one of the most accurate passers? They're obviously wasting Dak's talent calling all these running plays, right?

Ouch. That's gotta hurt lol

shabazz

Reaction score
Dak's best trait is that he wins. That can go a long way.

Sure, if he gets to play a cruddy NFC East team every week but look at what happens when he’s faces stiffer competition. One and done in the playoffs

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First 45 games in the NFL as a starter:

Dak 30-15
Romo 31-14

Romo went to the playoffs his first two years (and 3 of our his first 4).

Not bashing Dak, just people who say things that aren't true without even bothering to look them up. Want to state another incorrect fact?

Careful showing facts.
People that make comments without facts I call “drive by posting”.
I did this earlier and several people wanted to pile up on me calling me ignorant for proving something with facts. And they didn’t like it. They could not prove their point with facts so just kept coming at me with insults.
I finally had to put them on ignore. :laugh:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure, if he gets to play a cruddy NFC East team every week but look at what happens when he’s faces stiffer competition. One and done in the playoffs

You mean like beating the Saints does not count?
Don’t respond it was the defense. Last I knew it was a team sport. And Dak is on the team.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Careful showing facts.
People that make comments without facts I call “drive by posting”.
I did this earlier and several people wanted to pile up on me calling me ignorant for proving something with facts. And they didn’t like it. They could not prove their point with facts so just kept coming at me with insults.
I finally had to put them on ignore. :laugh:
Laughable