Dak is not a Franchise QB

jnday

Reaction score
TIME will tell.

The REST is noise.
His entire time playing football has shown that Dak is the player we see now. He was the same in college. His rookie year was a once in a lifetime season. Time has shown his inaccuracy and other problems that prevents him from being a quality starter. Dallas needs to hoard draft picks and get really to pay big to draft a franchise QB.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Zeke missed 6 games last year and would have had at least 1300 yards if played. So cant put him in the discussion.
Feed him the ball and he'll accumulate yards. Had he rushed for 5.1 yards per carry last year like he did in 2016 instead of the Joseph Randle-esque 4.1 ypc, he would have had 1234 yards while still missing the 6 games. That's what we needed. We didn't need him looking hungover, sleeping in meetings, and being out of shape last year producing like Joseph Randle. And, yes, he produced like Joseph Randle in 2015. That's what his numbers look like with the exception of Zeke kept on getting the ball and Randle was cut. Randle even had like 4 TD in his 70 carries before getting cut, so he was scoring too.

This is a perfect example of how people are "fine" with players who underachieve what they are capable of. We start looking for others to blame who are the weaker links. We rarely look at our best players and say, we need you to step your game up too. It's OK for Romo to miss a wide open TO on 3rd down in the red zone which should have been a TD as long as we can point to Patrick Crayton and blame him for dropping a 3rd down pass.

The best players shouldn't get a pass, we should demand more of them. They have to compensate for the weak links that will exist because the strengths are soaking up all the draft capital and salary cap space.

Everybody needs to play their best in order to win. I don't think we're getting Zeke's best.

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
Most of you all understand football enough to know how this is tanking Zeke's game as well. Passing and running in good balance, go hand in hand. Carolina kept 8 up tight because we simply can't throw the ball with any consistency and no downfield threat. That impacts Zeke's game big time and will continue for the weeks ahead. Zeke knows this too and it has to be discouraging to him to know that every time he is handed the ball, there's 2-4 extra guys hugging that line waiting for him on defense then there might be if Romo or another competent QB were behind center.

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
We may not have the best of anything at any position on offense anymore, except Martin. Zeke may not even be the best RB in the division.

I hear what your saying but no running back that’s ever played football was gonna have any success running the ball early in the game last week with the lack of Carolina has for our passing game and the fact their front is really good. I still think zeke is the best in the game, but he needs more than a high school qb to let things open up a bit

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I hear what your saying but no running back that’s ever played football was gonna have any success running the ball early in the game last week with the lack of Carolina has for our passing game and the fact their front is really good. I still think zeke is the best in the game, but he needs more than a high school qb to let things open up a bit
Adrain Peterson had a worse QB than Dak and was able to gain over 2000 yards. It's possible. Cromwell from the Jets just busted a long TD run on Monday night with 9 men in the box. Please tell me Zeke doesn't needs a great QB to be successful. Using the #4 pick overall for him is looking more and more like a pretty bad decision.

khiladi

Reaction score
Ok he did well against stacked boxes with the BEST oline in the league.

Did Zeke excel on first down last season, b/c I don't really care what he did two years ago. He didn't see a ton of stacked boxes against the Panthers so why didn't he do more? He's a top 5 pick so I expect him to excel just about every game.

So first Murray could run like Zeke, but now Zeke is a product of a better OL?

Of course Zeke didn’t succeed as well, because his QB is absolute garbage. He still rushed for close to 1000 yards in only ten games last year. Your claim was that Dak’s success wasn’t a product of Zeke in his first year when it was exactly that. Teams were stacking the box on first and he was still moving the chains. Zeke was running like a ‘generational talent’ his first year and Dak was playing with third and short.

And further are you high? Dallas was facing 2nd and 17 and Carolina was bringing its DBs up... defenses aren’t scared of Dak and give more respect to Zeke..

khiladi

Reaction score
Point was, most starting QB’s in the league are just better or have a higher ceiling than Dak and that sucks for us cowboys fans.
That is all.

This right here is the reality of the issue. Dak’s ceiling is not high and we have most likely seen the best he has to offer.

Reactions: Coy

Bigrandrn

Reaction score
Romo never excelled at timing routes and the coaching staff never bothered to develop that skill. Dallas' coaching staff expects players to develop themselves.

Dak needs to figure out how to make his reads quicker or take off running sooner.
Room had his flaws, but damn I miss him right about now, we are easily a playoff team with him, he made receiver so much better...dez, Austin, that other guy who went to the jags, his name escapes me now. I recently watched his highlights, man we took him for granted...

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Ok he did well against stacked boxes with the BEST oline in the league.

Did Zeke excel on first down last season, b/c I don't really care what he did two years ago. He didn't see a ton of stacked boxes against the Panthers so why didn't he do more? He's a top 5 pick so I expect him to excel just about every game.
Have you ever noticed Zeke's performance gets excused because of poor QB play, but Randle, DMAC, and Morris just sucked. Zeke was needed because Randle and DMAC proved that anybody can't run behind this line (while playing with Weeden, Cassel, and Moore) and Morris sucked so bad last year we didn't even want him as a back up again while playing with Dak against stacked boxes. Our generational talent though...he can't be successful because of Dak and stacked boxes.

Western

Reaction score
Most of you all understand football enough to know how this is tanking Zeke's game as well. Passing and running in good balance, go hand in hand. Carolina kept 8 up tight because we simply can't throw the ball with any consistency and no downfield threat. That impacts Zeke's game big time and will continue for the weeks ahead. Zeke knows this too and it has to be discouraging to him to know that every time he is handed the ball, there's 2-4 extra guys hugging that line waiting for him on defense then there might be if Romo or another competent QB were behind center.
Shrewd point.

The physical pounding that Zeke confronts precisely because teams are not threaten by the passing game, increases Zeke's probability of injury and a short-term career.
The residual effects of inadequate QB play can suffocate, and cause unnecessary ramifications on other offensive playmakers, like Zeke.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Feed him the ball and he'll accumulate yards. Had he rushed for 5.1 yards per carry last year like he did in 2016 instead of the Joseph Randle-esque 4.1 ypc, he would have had 1234 yards while still missing the 6 games. That's what we needed. We didn't need him looking hungover, sleeping in meetings, and being out of shape last year producing like Joseph Randle. And, yes, he produced like Joseph Randle in 2015. That's what his numbers look like with the exception of Zeke kept on getting the ball and Randle was cut. Randle even had like 4 TD in his 70 carries before getting cut, so he was scoring too.

This is a perfect example of how people are "fine" with players who underachieve what they are capable of. We start looking for others to blame who are the weaker links. We rarely look at our best players and say, we need you to step your game up too. It's OK for Romo to miss a wide open TO on 3rd down in the red zone which should have been a TD as long as we can point to Patrick Crayton and blame him for dropping a 3rd down pass.

The best players shouldn't get a pass, we should demand more of them. They have to compensate for the weak links that will exist because the strengths are soaking up all the draft capital and salary cap space.

Everybody needs to play their best in order to win. I don't think we're getting Zeke's best.

Your best player needs more than 15 carries also, especially when your QB is no Troy Aikman in the playoffs. He should have had 30 carries or more but our inept coaching staff does not have a clue.
Michael Jordan in the first quarter hardly took shoots in the first quarter trying to get everyone involved, but you can believe in the 3rd and 4th he was taking over and the h--- with passing to Bill Cartwright in the 4th quarter.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Your best player needs more than 15 carries also, especially when your QB is no Troy Aikman in the playoffs. He should have had 30 carries or more but our inept coaching staff does not have a clue.
Michael Jordan in the first quarter hardly took shoots in the first quarter trying to get everyone involved, but you can believe in the 3rd and 4th he was taking over and the h--- with passing to Bill Cartwright in the 4th quarter.
I agree he needs more than 15 carries. But if we give him 30 carries do you want him to get 120 yards or 150 yards?

Or to use your basketball reference, if a player scores 30 points, do you want them to do that on 18 shot attempts or 28 shot attempts?

uvaballa

Reaction score
Shrewd point.

The physical pounding that Zeke confronts precisely because teams are not threaten by the passing game, increases Zeke's probability of injury and a short-term career.
The residual effects of inadequate QB play can suffocate, and cause unnecessary ramifications on other offensive playmakers, like Zeke.

How did guys like Peterson and Lewis run for 2000 yards with Christian Ponder and Kyle Booker at QB? Great players can excel. Sander’s teams sucked but yet he still made plays. Stop giving Zeke a pass.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
How did guys like Peterson and Lewis run for 2000 yards with Christian Ponder and Kyle Booker at QB? Great players can excel. Sander’s teams sucked but yet he still made plays. Stop giving Zeke a pass.
Peterson was a stud. He old and still almost got a hundred this past weekend. And he did that facing stacked boxes 50% of the time with Check down Charlie, Alex Smith. Smith used to check down so much a former punter called him out.

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
Have you ever noticed Zeke's performance gets excused because of poor QB play, but Randle, DMAC, and Morris just sucked. Zeke was needed because Randle and DMAC proved that anybody can't run behind this line (while playing with Weeden, Cassel, and Moore) and Morris sucked so bad last year we didn't even want him as a back up again while playing with Dak against stacked boxes. Our generational talent though...he can't be successful because of Dak and stacked boxes.

So do you think our best bet to fix the problem is to get rid of zeke? Lol

uvaballa

Reaction score
So first Murray could run like Zeke, but now Zeke is a product of a better OL?

Of course Zeke didn’t succeed as well, because his QB is absolute garbage. He still rushed for close to 1000 yards in only ten games last year. Your claim was that Dak’s success wasn’t a product of Zeke in his first year when it was exactly that. Teams were stacking the box on first and he was still moving the chains. Zeke was running like a ‘generational talent’ his first year and Dak was playing with third and short.

And further are you high? Dallas was facing 2nd and 17 and Carolina was bringing its DBs up... defenses aren’t scared of Dak and give more respect to Zeke..
I never said Murray runs like Zeke. I said the Cowboys running game hasn’t been a problem for years. Zeke hasn’t really made it that much better for being a top 4 pick IMO. It’s basically the same when the oline is playing well.

I think Dak succeeded due to the running. When the running game sucks the offense normally sucks. The cowboys put most of their money and picks in the oline and Zeke and not at QB or WR. So I expect a lot more from them. No excuses about playing a tough defense. If they only play well against crap defenses then they are overrated. Going to the playoffs means playing against better defenses normally so they should be prepared if the plan on making the playoffs.