Dak is not good against good teams

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know it's not just his fault but Dak's record against winning teams the past 3 years is not good.
He's 5-13 the past 3 seasons.
He threw for a lot of garbage stats in many of the losses and hasn't performed at a top level.
For a 4th round pick, he was given a lot of deference.
But now, he's compensated as a Top level QB and he is expected to perform as such and find a way to overcome deficiencies outside of his control.
The Top QB's tend to "find a way" and that's what will be expected of Dak.
I hope he can deliver.

Most QB's have a losing record against good teams.
So you feel the need to bring up this useless stat again?

You know where it will head, was that your intent, trying to disguise it?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I know it's not just his fault but Dak's record against winning teams the past 3 years is not good.
He threw for a lot of garbage stats in many of the losses and hasn't performed at a top level.
But now, he's compensated as a Top level QB and he is expected to perform as such and find a way to overcome deficiencies outside of his control.
I hope he can deliver.

In 2020 Dak played against 3 playoff teams. He played great in two of those games. 66%.

Only game he didnt play great was the first game of the year against the #1 defense in the NFL. Nothing uncommon about that.

Like most hater claims, this one is nothing but pure BS.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Yes, I believe it's been proven that, thus far, Dak personally does not play well against good teams, but neither does the Dallas Cowboys as a team at this point.

Everyone needs to be better.

There have been some games where Dak performed well against good teams. but the defense let the team down in a big moment or other players made mistakes which contributed to the loss, where Dak received most or all of the blame for those losses.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Problem is, the last few years our defense was bad. So every mistake he makes is magnified and he’s basically asked to play a perfect game.

Better defense (Parsons) should help level this out

When you pay your QB like that you need to win games because of him and not because the team around him isn’t perfect.

He wanted this.. A lot of you wanted this.. Well we got it…

Now go be an elite player or take your salary and go ruin someone else’s team.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Problem is, the last few years our defense was bad. So every mistake he makes is magnified and he’s basically asked to play a perfect game.

Better defense (Parsons) should help level this out
This was the same problem Romo had.

A lot of people bash Romo but how many games did he get us the lead late in the game only to watch the defense cave again and again and again.

When the Cowboys have had the lead late in the fourth quarter of Romo/Dak led games and they lost, more often than not it has been the fault of the defense, yet the media and many fans pointed to the mistakes made in the first and second quarters rather than where the real problem was.

Quarterbacks are supposed to put teams in positions to win and Romo did and Dak does that, but defenses are supposed to complete that win by stopping the other team's offense especially late in games.

Hopefully the Cowboys defense will be better this year and that will be less of a problem.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
In 2020 Dak played against 3 playoff teams. He played great in two of those games. 66%.

Only game he didnt play great was the first game of the year against the #1 defense in the NFL. Nothing uncommon about that.

Like most hater claims, this one is nothing but pure BS.
To be fair, against those 3 playoff teams in 2020 Dak had 8 total TDs and 5 total turnovers. I wouldn't call that "playing great" at all.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
When you pay your QB like that you need to win games because of him and not because the team around him isn’t perfect.

He wanted this.. A lot of you wanted this.. Well we got it…

Now go be an elite player or take your salary and go ruin someone else’s team.

Can the same be said about Joe Burrow and Trevor Lawrence. Since they were drafted high and are expected to be elite, then they should be able to have winning records against good teams and make their teams playoff and Superbowl contenders, without needing a "perfect team" around them.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
There have been some games where Dak performed well against good teams. but the defense let the team down in a big moment or other players made mistakes which contributed to the loss, where Dak received most or all of the blame for those losses.
There has also been times were the defense held teams to 17, 13, and 12 points and we lost without Dak throwing a single TD pass.

It works both ways. That's why I said that everyone, Dak included, has to be better if we want to compete with the better teams in the league.

We need all sides of the ball helping each other out.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I hope he can deliver.
The better measure is how he performs vs good DEFENSES.
I suspect, not so well, but then again, most QBs don't perform as well vs the good Ds.
My guess is that he is worse than average vs good Ds though.

And, as much as some like to make it so, won-loss records don't apply directly to QBs. I mean, they don't play defense or special teams at all....and only make up 1/11th of the offense, albeit the main role.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Most QBs are not great against winning teams..but some are worst than others.....the following are only to end of 2020 season but it gives you an idea
Of course Brady is 61% win factor and most wins. Winning teams are considered as teams with winning records at the END of the season.

Player Total Wins Losses Ties

Aaron Rodgers 80 36 43 1 .456
Baker Mayfield 20 6 14 0 .300
Jimmy Garoppolo 15 9 6 0 .600
Kirk Cousins 42 7 35 0 .173
Lamar Jackson 16 10 6 0 .625
Patrick Mahomes 1 6 10 6 0 .625
Josh Allen 17 7 10 0 .411
Justin Herbert 6 1 5 0 .166
Kyler Murray 1 4 3 11 0 .333
Daniel Jones 9 0 9 0 .000
Sam Darnold 17 4 13 0 .235
Deshaun Watson 26 7 19 0 .269
Tom Brady 121 74 47 0 .611
Marcus Mariota 25 12 13 0 .480
Russell Wilson 59 32 27 0 .542
Matt Ryan 86 31 55 0 .360
Drew Lock 8 2 6 0 .250
Dak Prescott 33 13 20 0 .393
Matthew Stafford 75 8 67 0 .106
Jared Goff 31 14 17 0 .451
thanks for the research the OP failed to provide and should have..its only fair to look at all qbs who are daks peers at the time.. this is and always has been team game..many losses can be attributed to other parts of the team that were not great ie coaching, defense, and STs which can also be attributed to injury plagued short handed seasons..

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score

I hate that QB’s are always tied to wins and losses, it’s a freaking team sport. All those QB’s listed above without doubt has had better teams. Some with great defenses and some with great coaches and two or three great QB’s are on the list. But all as had better teams all around. Dak ain’t great but our team and coaching has really sucked over the last few years. Bad defenses, bad special teams, bad coaching and add that our WR has lead the league in drops over the last few years. How many games over the last few years have we been screaming about the coaching, I’m going to say it has been much more then us screaming about the QB play.

Now only the haters will say that these are excuses and nothing we say will change that, so be it. I’m not a hater or lover, I’m a realist. I have seen Dak at times not make a crucial play when needed, and I’ve seen him make his sure. But there has been too much wrong with this team to but all the wins and loses in Dak.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Dallas is not a very good team. They have become the outlier team when a QB has a great game. Yeah but he did it against Dallas.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This was the same problem Romo had.

A lot of people bash Romo but how many games did he get us the lead late in the game only to watch the defense cave again and again and again.

When the Cowboys have had the lead late in the fourth quarter of Romo/Dak games led games and they lost, more often than not it has been the fault of the defense, yet the media and many fans pointed to the mistakes made in the first and second quarters rather than where the real problem was.

Quarterbacks are supposed to put teams in positions to win and Romo and Dak do that, but defenses are supposed to complete that win by stopping the other team's offense especially late in games.

Hopefully the Cowboys defense will be better this year and that will be less of a problem.
:hammer:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you have to throw out any 2020 game. Defense was historically bad, especially early in the year. Oline was miserable as well, plus zeke couldn’t handle the football if his life depended on it. Wins and losses are a team effort, dak didn’t have much help last year.

2019 we were at least competitive in nearly every game. I think dak has his faults, but I’m not freaking out over his W/L record just yet.

This looks like another troll thread. The OP seems to be all about them now given their recent post history. Start a ‘sky is falling’ thread and then sit back and watch the fireworks, doing nothing to support that initial post or contention.

Trendnet

Reaction score
I hope he can deliver.

Well it's a good thing the bucs are winless so far this season!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Can the same be said about Joe Burrow and Trevor Lawrence. Since they were drafted high and are expected to be elite, then they should be able to have winning records against good teams and make their teams playoff and Superbowl contenders, without needing a "perfect team" around them.

They’ll eventually have to step up but they didn’t walk into a situation like Dak did.

Dak is the 16 year old that got the keys to a Lambo.

Trevor and Burrow got clunkers.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
There has also been times were the defense held teams to 17, 13, and 12 points and we lost without Dak throwing a single TD pass.

It works both ways. That's why I said that everyone, Dak included, has to be better if we want to compete with the better teams in the league.

We need all sides of the ball helping each other out.

And there have been times where Dak and the offense puts up 30-40 points and the Cowboys still lose, because of a bad performance by the defense or like in the 2016 playoffs where Dak plays a great second half, just for the defense to allow Rodgers to complete a late 4th quarter pass, that set up the game winning FG for the Packers.

There have been times where Dak has played bad or made costly mistakes which led to losses. But, it's not true to say he never performed well against good teams or teams above .500. And there have been times where he has stepped up in the 4th quarter, when the team needed a big play or performance out of him.

Yet there are some fans who like to place all of the blame on Dak, even in games where other players have turned over the ball or made costly mistakes.