Dak is not good against good teams

Doomsday101

Reaction score
They’ll eventually have to step up but they didn’t walk into a situation like Dak did.

Dak is the 16 year old that got the keys to a Lambo.

Trevor and Burrow got clunkers.

I guess that is just poor GM on the part of Jacksonville and Cinn since both team have been picking high in the draft for quite a while. No reason they should not have talent given their draft positions. Jerry on the other hand must have been doing well since we have a Lambo

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I guess that is just poor GM on the part of Jacksonville and Cinn since both team have been picking high in the draft for quite a while. No reason they should not have talent given their draft positions. Jerry on the other hand must have been doing well since we have a Lambo

Dallas gets good players.

They don’t respect the coaching aspect of football.

They want puppets they can control because they don’t think coaching matters and it’s all about players.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
And there have been times where Dak and the offense puts up 30-40 points and the Cowboys still lose, because of a bad performance by the defense or like in the 2016 playoffs where Dak plays a great second half, just for the defense to allow Rodgers to complete a late 4th quarter pass, that set up the game winning FG for the Packers.

There have been times where Dak has played bad or made costly mistakes which led to losses. But, it's not true to say he never performed well against good teams or teams above .500. And there have been times where he has stepped up in the 4th quarter, when the team needed a big play or performance out of him.

Yet there are some fans who like to place all of the blame on Dak, even in games where other players have turned over the ball or made costly mistakes.
Again, everyone on this team needs to be better. That includes Dak.

When you are the QB, play the most important position, and you're the highest paid player on the team then you're going to get the brunt of the blame. That's just how it is. Is it fair? No, it's not, but it comes with the territory.

How many people here do you see dog Mahomes on this forum for his play in the Super Bowl? Do they bring up the O-line problems and how he was running for his life the whole game? No they don't. They blame Mahomes and his poor play regardless of the circumstances that lead to it. Dak is not immune to criticism, just like Mahomes isn't.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Dak will have more support than he's had in the past, with a better defense to back him up! He'll be the QB that we've all hoped for! :starspin:

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
They’ll eventually have to step up but they didn’t walk into a situation like Dak did.

Dak is the 16 year old that got the keys to a Lambo.

Trevor and Burrow got clunkers.

Yeah, but they got drafted high, because they are expected to have that "elite" ability to turn clunkers into Lambos and not need to as much help and assistance by their surrounding rosters. Since the whole narrative is that "elite" QBs are able to make the teams and rosters around them better, without needing higher caliber players on their roster.

If Dak went to a bad team and had a losing record with them, some fans would use that as "evidence" that he isn't a good QB. But, then will say that QBs like Burrow or Lawrence are good and elite, despite being on teams with losing records.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yeah, but they got drafted high, because they are expected to have that "elite" ability to turn clunkers into Lambos and not need to as much help and assistance by their surrounding rosters. Since the whole narrative is that "elite" QBs are able to make the teams and rosters around them better, without needing higher caliber players on their roster.

If Dak went to a bad team and had a losing record with them, some fans would use that as "evidence" that he isn't a good QB. But, then will say that QBs like Burrow or Lawrence are good and elite, despite being on teams with losing records.

Well.. They aren’t elite QBs yet. They kind of have to prove it.

They are top notch talents. Especially Lawrence.

Nobody should call them elite QBs.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know it's not just his fault but Dak's record against winning teams the past 3 years is not good.
He's 5-13 the past 3 seasons.
He threw for a lot of garbage stats in many of the losses and hasn't performed at a top level.
For a 4th round pick, he was given a lot of deference.
But now, he's compensated as a Top level QB and he is expected to perform as such and find a way to overcome deficiencies outside of his control.
The Top QB's tend to "find a way" and that's what will be expected of Dak.
I hope he can deliver.
If it is not just his fault, why lay that all on him? Has the defense or team, in general, played that well against the better opponents?

I do not see a connection between his compensation and expectations because he can only control what he does and provide leadership but he can't make players more talented and he is expected to execute the plays called by his OC and HC.

I do agree with your assessment of how the team fails to show up against the better teams just not that that's all on any one player, although the moist critical position on the team.

Loso86

Reaction score
I know it's not just his fault but Dak's record against winning teams the past 3 years is not good.
He threw for a lot of garbage stats in many of the losses and hasn't performed at a top level.
But now, he's compensated as a Top level QB and he is expected to perform as such and find a way to overcome deficiencies outside of his control.
I hope he can deliver.
And the Defense isn't good against good offenses.......

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dallas gets good players.

They don’t respect the coaching aspect of football.

They want puppets they can control because they don’t think coaching matters and it’s all about players.

That is one mans view, I don't think anyone is looking for puppet HC

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I hope he can deliver.
What I’ve learned is Dak is 5-0 against good teams and the Cowboys are 0-13 the past three seasons.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I hope he can deliver.

While we all want more from Dak and the rest of the Cowboys, only Brady, Roethlisberger, and Wilson have winning records vs winning teams over their careers. Amazingly, all three have usually been backed by good defenses.

Drew Brees had a losing record. Aaron Rodgers has a losing record. Even future Hall of Famers struggle to "find a way". Context.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
While we all want more from Dak and the rest of the Cowboys, only Brady, Roethlisberger, and Wilson have winning records vs winning teams over their careers. Amazingly, all three have usually been backed by good defenses.

Drew Brees had a losing record. Aaron Rodgers has a losing record. Even future Hall of Famers struggle to "find a way". Context.

Yeah but the problem is those guys are asked to carry teams and Dak isn’t.

Dak needs to play like those guys now considering his salary but he is not capable of playing football at the level these guys are up to this point in his career.

Hopefully now that he is paid like / more then them it works out better than it did for Goff and Wentz.

Shane612

Reaction score
Dak Prescott: Record against winning teams

Dak Prescott took over as the Dallas Cowboys quarterback after being drafted by the team in 2016. He got an opportunity for an injured Tony Romo that turned into a long-term gig. Prescott has been a very good quarterback for the Cowboys despite the lack of team success that was expected.

Let’s take a look at how many times the Dallas Cowboys won games against teams with a winning record with Dak Prescott as their starting quarterback.

I started to dive into this stat for every quarterback because the new hot argument is to say that a certain quarterback didn’t beat anyone good. I often see people use this argument to say players like Kirk Cousins and Matthew Stafford are not good and just put up empty stats.

First off and most importantly, quarterback wins are a team statistic. Secondly, very few quarterbacks in the NFL have a winning record against teams who finished the season above .500 in the league.

See every QB’s record against winning teams

What is Dak Prescott’s record against winning teams?
Since entering the NFL in 2016, Dak Prescott is 13-20 (.393) against teams that finished the season with a winning record.

In 2020, Dak Prescott was 0-3 (.000) against winning teams as the starting quarterback.

• Rams (loss)
  • Seahawks (loss)
  • Browns (loss)
In 2019, Dak Prescott was 2-6 (.250) against winning teams as the starting quarterback.

• Saints (loss)
  • Packers (loss)
  • Eagles (win)
  • Vikings (loss)
  • Patriots (loss)
  • Bills (loss)
  • Rams (win)
  • Eagles (loss)
In 2018, Dak Prescott was 3-4 (.428) against winning teams as the starting quarterback.

• Seahawks (loss)
  • Texans (loss)
  • Titans (loss)
  • Eagles (win)
  • Saints (win)
  • Eagles (win)
  • Colts (loss)
What quarterbacks have a winning record against winning teams?
There are currently 6 active NFL quarterbacks with winning records against winning teams.

^^^^ The common denominator for these 6 QBs with winning records against winning teams? They have all been surrounded by good offenses and very good defenses.

You can digest that information on your own. The only thing I want you to take away from this is that it is extremely rare to have a winning record against teams that finished the season with a winning record.

https://sportsandfitnessdigest.com/dak-prescott-record-against-winning-teams/
But Dak isn't comparable to any of the top QBs you've listed, except for maybe JG. Others are HOF bound. And Jackson is much more dynamic than Dak.
Not saying Dak won't get there....but at $40million per, he better show something this year, otherwise it's salary-cap hell for the next 4 years.

EGTuna

Reaction score
The interesting thing is that Goff has a decent record against winning teams, and Stafford has a terrible record against winning teams and they were traded for each other. In Stafford's case, the conventional wisdom is it was everyone but him, and is Goff's case it was everything despite him.

Meanwhile, we're supposed to evaluate Dak in a vacuum and not look at games where he lead them to a lead in the 4th only to have the defense fold (Seattle last year when Dallas took a 31-30 lead). And in several cases Dak himself was not great against some of these good teams (New Orleans in 2019). Point is, it's rarely merely a QB stat. Good luck parsing nuance when it comes to Dak.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
When you watch elite QBs they are still making plays and doing everything they can against good teams.

With Dak it’s like you’re just sitting around waiting for someone, anyone to do something.

Romo was that type of player. It was never enough but it was clear he had to do more on his own to win a football game and he was actually capable of it.

With Dak it’s not like that.

Dak is at his best when we have a lead and Zeke is rolling. That’s when he looks better than normal.

RonWashington

Reaction score
As the late great Sam Cooke sing "A Change is going to Come".

When the defense doesn’t put Dallas in a 14-0 hole to climb out of and # 4 is not slinging it around 45 times maybe some W’s against “ winning teams “ occur .

At least the think tank at the star ⭐️ noticed how pathetic the defense was and made some off-season investments starting with a capable DC.