Dak is not the answer

aikemirv

Reaction score
We all enjoyed a magical 2016 season with two rookies who took league by storm. As I was chest thumping I read a sobering article on how you really don't know about QB until he completes his 2nd season. My raised arms slowly dropped. I patiently waited for 2nd season and now my fears are becoming a reality. Dak Prescott was product of Zeke being top 5 dynamic player. But I held reservations until I saw him matched up with Wentz. Well, unfortunately I am here to report Cowboys search for Tony replacement should continue.

Dak has as many ints as tds against NFC teams. Dallas has 1 offensive TD in two Zeke-less games. But real problem is what I saw from other teams QB. QB so big players couldn't bring him down throwing ridiculous ropes to his avg WR core. Eagles WR did their best to keep this game close in first half by dropping passes. But talent wins out and Wentz put Jerry Jones on notice last night.

Dallas has two options: 1) Do nothing and likely lose most divisional games & divisional titles to Eagles for next 7 -10 years. 2) Make some hard sacrifices and get Franchise QB by any means possible (Btw: Philly ended up giving away total of 7 players...mix of currently NFL players & draft picks for Wentz).

The big question is does Jerry Jones have stones to pivot?

While I tend to agree that Dak may not be the answer, he did not play against Wentz, so I am not sure you waited till he was "matched up against him" to come to your conclusion.

I do however think that with Zeke, Dak may be able to run the show and keep us in the hunt. With Zeke, we are a top 5 offense it seems that Dak can function well in and keep drives moving. I don't think Dak will ever be a "carry the team on his back guy" like Romo , who can make all the throws and do amazing things in the pocket.

Defense is a huge question mark with this team.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
We all enjoyed a magical 2016 season with two rookies who took league by storm. As I was chest thumping I read a sobering article on how you really don't know about QB until he completes his 2nd season. My raised arms slowly dropped. I patiently waited for 2nd season and now my fears are becoming a reality. Dak Prescott was product of Zeke being top 5 dynamic player. But I held reservations until I saw him matched up with Wentz. Well, unfortunately I am here to report Cowboys search for Tony replacement should continue.

Dak has as many ints as tds against NFC teams. Dallas has 1 offensive TD in two Zeke-less games. But real problem is what I saw from other teams QB. QB so big players couldn't bring him down throwing ridiculous ropes to his avg WR core. Eagles WR did their best to keep this game close in first half by dropping passes. But talent wins out and Wentz put Jerry Jones on notice last night.

Dallas has two options: 1) Do nothing and likely lose most divisional games & divisional titles to Eagles for next 7 -10 years. 2) Make some hard sacrifices and get Franchise QB by any means possible (Btw: Philly ended up giving away total of 7 players...mix of currently NFL players & draft picks for Wentz).

LOL you guys need medication.

First of all, Dak not being Wentz doesn’t make him bad. Second of all, the kid is still in his second season in an archaic offense behind a patchwork offensive line with a suspect receiving core.

I could legit list names until blue in the face of QBs who still struggled at times in their second seasons, even looking lost at times, that turned out to be franchise guys.

The bottom line is, these things don’t happen in a vacuum. Dak has looked pretty bad at time this season, but he has looked unbelievably dynamic at times.

This teams issues begin and end with the coaching staff (and the front office). If you want to jump ship, jump ship inn Garrett.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

If the question is can Dak overcome lame coaching and a weak defense then the answer is no. Good luck finding the QB for whom the answer is yes. Romo couldn't overcome those shortcomings despite several great years, yet we're still looking for a QB to solve all of our problems?

I think some of you are missing the bigger picture.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
We'll see. His performance when the team is 100% allows him the chance to continue to prove himself. He is probably better than Romo was at this point in their careers (keep in mind that Romo had the luxury of sitting for three years so we have no clue if he would have been good immediately if he had played 2003-2005).

I remember very well a young Romo and the offense getting shutdown by the Eagles in December at Texas Stadium in 2006 and 2007. Here are Romo's stats from those games:

2006 vs. Philly on Christmas:
23-7 Loss
14-29, 142 yards, 1 TD and 2 INTs, sacked 3 times

2007 December 16 vs. Philly:
10-6 Loss
13-36, 214 yards, 0 TD and 3 INTs, sacked 4 times

While it's disappointing, it's not time to panic on Dak yet. We will see how Dak looks when Tyron is back on the field. If I recall correctly, Romo never had to play a game without either Flozell or Tyron at LT

Philmonroe

Reaction score
He's certainly not made the progression youd hope for but it's not yet time to make this proclamation. We should have a pretty good idea by season's end.
I'm even for giving him another year but this stretch could really sour some if he keeps playing like last night. This isn't the first or second time his lack of accuracy has been brought up this year. It is starting to become a trend of this year but again I'm willing to give it at least another year before saying we definitely need to try someone else.

ak47kaehu

Reaction score
Fickle fans want us to draft a ready made franchise qb as if it's that simple to go pick one off the tree!!!

How many franchise qbs have become franchise/elite overnight?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Dak is good enough, no he is not Tom Brady but he is good enough to win a championship with if you surround him with good coaching and a good supporting cast.

Right now he has a turd for a head coach and his surrounding talent is suspect at best now that Zeke is gone.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
He looks shell shocked after that beating he took again ATL. That may have ruined him.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Dak is good enough, no he is not Tom Brady but he is good enough to win a championship with if you surround him with good coaching and a good supporting cast.

Right now he has a turd for a head coach and his surrounding talent is suspect at best now that Zeke is gone.

How much does he need to score 1 meaningful TD?

I keep hearing he's good enough with "more pieces around him" - He has every one of his WRs, 2 pro-bowl offensive lineman, a decent enough TE and an RB that gave him 91 yards last night.

How much more does he actually need? It's one thing to have a bad game, it's another to have the game he had last night.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
It's a matter if he can rebound from this outing. He has it but could fall apart after hearing the doubters call him out and he starting to doubt himself. If that happens, his struggles will continue. If he can rebound in this next game, I still think he is the answer to who can lead us to a SB championship.

This is the fork in his career path. If he folds mentally, better call Romo...

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
The ceiling for Dak is Donavan McNabb. Listen, not every QB is going to be Tom Brady. The Giants won 2 Super Bowls with Eli Manning. He is good enough IF...IF...you put together a more complete roster and coaching staff. If you think you must cut every QB that comes along that is not Tom Brady...you will be looking forever for a franchise QB. Look how talented Tony Romo was...and he only won 1 playoff game. Romo was good enough and still did not sniff the prize. The issue in Dallas so much bigger than the QB. Especially a QB that has played like 25 games.
There's very little in common with Prescott, and McNabb, they have very different skill sets.