Dak is not the answer

TonyS

Reaction score
I think people are just asking for a QB that can be remotely accurate and not look like noodle arm Tebow out there. Asking him to set his feet isn't really much of a high bar, now is it?
This is what happens when you put a young QB with Wade Wilson. The first year wasn't enough time for Wade to ruin him, it took him into his second year to really dismantle his mechanics and ruin his psyche.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
I don't agree with the notion that DP has to carry teams to be considered good.

First of all, if your team is consistently needing to be carried by your QB then you have larger problems.

The QB is without question the most important player on a team but football is ultimately a team sport.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
*Dak throws 20 feet over Beasley's head*

Dak fanboys: BEASLEY WHY DIDN'T YOU GROW TALLER!?

Dak had the equivalent of battered victim syndrome (excuse the crude analogy but I can't think of a better one) from the whooping he took last week thanks to Chaz Green. Almost all of his terrible throws last night were because he didn't trust that he had more than two or three seconds to get the ball out. Almost all of his bad throws were when his back was to the LT and who the LT was blocking, especially that high throw to Beasley. I'm not saying that justifies his poor play but it's something I think he will adjust to, and hopefully won't have to if Tyron is back for the rest of the season starting Thursday.

Dak exceeded so many expectations last year because of his work ethic and his constant grind. Every game he was better than anyone thought he could be. The second half of the Green Bay playoff game showed me Dak has the potential to be an elite QB. Any talk of him not being the franchise QB after 2 bad games is just asinine. That said, I think he got a bit of a big head after last season going into this offseason and this season with all of the commercials, endorsements, etc. I think this will humble him and he will spend this entire offseason grinding and getting on a whole new level. He is not having a sophomore slump like RG3 or Foles. Teams are built a certain way and the injuries, poor coaching, and ineffective wide receivers have decimated this particular team. If Dak has proven anything it is that he can adapt and overcome. He may need another off-season, but I have little doubt he can be elite by this time next season. Remember the beginning of last year when everyone thought Brady had finally fallen off based on 3 or 4 games?

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
Look, it's not unreasonable to criticize Dak. The #1 issue he needs to work on is his accuracy from the pocket. He is flat out inaccurate from the pocket currently, as displayed last night when he sailed several balls and threw others in the dirt. Now, I really wish our offensive coaching staff would move the pocket more on designed rollouts to take advantage of his accuracy on the move and his running ability, but that's another discussion. Improving his arm strength would also be nice, but that may be set in stone (I don't know, someone tell me if QBs can significantly improve their arm strength over the offseason).

Having said that, he is only halfway through his second season, we can't expect him to be Tony Romo yet. I think we need to give him another season at least to see where his development goes. By the end of next season, if his pocket accuracy doesn't improve and he continues to struggle to generate a passing game without relying on play action, then we should be having a serious distraction about drafting another QB. But I think we still have to let him develop for another season before giving up on him.

PS. We seriously need to get him a better WR. The only receiver that can consistently get separation from DBs is Beasley, and defenses are now focusing on shutting him down. Dez can easily be taken out of games via 1 on 1 coverage, and Dak and Dez clearly don't have the chemistry to negate that like Tony and Dez did.

mardwin

Reaction score
Dak is in his 2nd yr, he has shown that he can win in this league but can't carry the team alone. That might change with experience but right now he needs to improve his accuracy and decision making as a passer.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Cowboys fans are a fickle bunch. If Sean Lee, Tyron Smith and Zeke Elliott were playing healthy yesterday, you'd be celebrating a victory today. But because of those absences, you are ready to quite on your QB. He's not a bum, he just needs his supporting cast back.

I don't think we win even with those three because 1) the Eagles made adjustments to a defense that stifled them after the opening drive and 2) the Cowboys didn't. It would have been closer, but I have no doubt we would have lost.

mardwin

Reaction score
Cowboys fans are a fickle bunch. If Sean Lee, Tyron Smith and Zeke Elliott were playing healthy yesterday, you'd be celebrating a victory today. But because of those absences, you are ready to quite on your QB. He's not a bum, he just needs his supporting cast back.

Still, the coaches are just bums.

EGTuna

Reaction score
Remember the beginning of last year when everyone thought Brady had finally fallen off based on 3 or 4 games?

Or this year after week1?

Dak has been poor the last two games, but his future is bright. He won last year without Dez, without Tyron. Not yet this year. He won @GB, @Minn, @Pitt, @Wash but this year they lose at home to LAR, GB, and PHI. Missing Zeke hurts, as does defenses adjusting by playing single coverage on Dez & TW while bracketing Bease and Witten. I wish the coaching staff would utilize more plays like the one to Noah Brown early in the game and other deception, and misdirection plays. They should use play-action screens and pivot routes, but for some reason they don't. I don't think Garrett is going anywhere based on the $, though.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Dak is in his 2nd yr, he has shown that he can win in this league but can't carry the team alone. That might change with experience but right now he needs to improve his accuracy and decision making as a passer.

There's no QB that can carry a team alone. That belief is why we get threads like this one.

Carson Wentz played well in the second half, but the Eagles also got turnovers, some big runs and huge blocks and whipped us with their defense.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The ceiling for Dak is Donavan McNabb. Listen, not every QB is going to be Tom Brady. The Giants won 2 Super Bowls with Eli Manning. He is good enough IF...IF...you put together a more complete roster and coaching staff. If you think you must cut every QB that comes along that is not Tom Brady...you will be looking forever for a franchise QB. Look how talented Tony Romo was...and he only won 1 playoff game. Romo was good enough and still did not sniff the prize. The issue in Dallas so much bigger than the QB. Especially a QB that has played like 25 games.
Yep. Takes a team: offense, defense, special teams, and coaching.

BTW...
not that it's important at this point..at all...but Romo played in 6 playoffs games.
The team won 2 of those; 1 close and 1 by blowout
The team lost 3 by a whisker, and lost 1 by blowout.
Inches from being 5-1, but instead 2-4. oh well.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
QB's don't grow on tree's and we have one of the best situations in the NFL as far as young QB's go.

He's just not ready to air it out for 300+ yards and 3TD's consistently like Romo did. Not many QB's are.

He needs a Ben Roethlisberger type of situation.

Rock solid defense, a ground game, and WR's who make timely plays when he buys time.

If you wanted a Carson Wentz type then you had to go get him. It wasn't going to just fall to you.

We chose not to but we struck gold.

Anyways.. Stop worrying about Dak. Lets fix some of these other leaks in our boat before we blame this thing sinking on Dak.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak had an awful game in the middle of an overall **** show. I'm not willing to give up on him after his worst game ever. He has had enough good and great games to continue as our starting QB. If he doesn't show improvement, then we look to replace him. Replacing him now would be knee jerk.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
Russell Wilson is a good comparison to Dak imo. Started out his career with an excellent running game and relied on the play action pass to be successful for his first few years (not to mention a dominant defense that carried them to a superbowl). While he's not Aaron Rodgers, Wilson has now shown that after a few years of development, he can be a great passer without relying on play action.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is a good comparison to Dak imo. Started out his career with an excellent running game and relied on the play action pass to be successful for his first few years (not to mention a dominant defense that carried them to a superbowl). While he's not Aaron Rodgers, Wilson has now shown that after a few years of development, he can be a great passer without relying on play action.
Glad you mentioned the defense.

hard lose or even feel pressure of losing when you only have to score 15 points a game to win...and sometimes only 3:laugh:
it changes everything

haleyrules

Reaction score
Prescott will need some time to fully develop. This is only his second year!!! It's premature to right him off just yet after a couple of bad games. All QB's have bad games and are dependent on others doing their jobs also. Think Brady, for example, can win every game by himself. Take a good look at his OL he is well supported and has the best coaching in the league.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I was frustrated last night so I spoke out of anger. Now that I've had to think about it. It will be fair to see him with receivers who catch everything like a lot of teams have, receivers who are wide open. It will also be fair to see him with a GOOD coach. We are more upset because we lost the debate over who is better, a 1st pick in the draft or a near 5th round QB.
On what planet is that fair? Who compares a first rounder to a 5th rounder? If I were Wentz, I'd be horrified by the comparisons. But Dak, with a loaded team last year, took his team places and we all overreacted. Give both guys 4 years. I say that, but in reality, I want instant gratitude. I want someone who is good today. If you look at it statistically, Wentz was just as bad, but was better at maneuvering around in the pocket, and had great plays to get his guys favorable match ups. Who's defense would you say is better, significantly better? Also, his running game was ON FIRE. When you run for over 200 yards, it's a guaranteed victory for you, and playing QB becomes childsplay.
Sometimes I'm glad Aikman didn't live in the twitter or social media days, by year two, he would have been DEVOURED!!!!!!!