Dak is way better

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The last few games have put me in a quandary.

I said I would give Dak this year to show marked improvement before I would decide if I felt he'd be good enough to lead this team to a SB. Still sticking with that, but with only 4 games to go, while I've seen improvement, some things have not improved much, such as holding the ball too long. The fumbles are an issue.

I do think he's making mostly good decisions, but still sometimes I'm like "Dak, really?"

If I had to finalize my evaluation today, I'd have to say he's not going to improve enough. Of course, even if he doesn't get markedly better, if the defense plays like it did last night, even at this point he's not far off from being good enough to win the SB. Hard to lose games when you only give up 10 pts to a powerhouse offense.

Just glad there's 4 games left:popcorn:

endersdragon

Reaction score
I just worry what happens when his contract is up after next year and he demands $20,000,000/year... and DLaw is being paid... and Jaylon is demanding big money... etc.

KingRah

Reaction score
I just worry what happens when his contract is up after next year and he demands $20,000,000/year... and DLaw is being paid... and Jaylon is demanding big money... etc.
There’s an article talking about being able to apply the transition tag and franchise tag in 2020. Plus we’ll have a lot of money freed up.

endersdragon

Reaction score
There’s an article talking about being able to apply the transition tag and franchise tag in 2020. Plus we’ll have a lot of money freed up.
Some money freed up, but the franchise tag doesn't come cheap for QBs and we have a lot of players who will be demanding money soon, JLaw, Byron, Cooper, Zeke (a year after Dak), Smith, Irving, possibly Earl Thomas and maybe a few others. Those contracts won't come cheap.

KingRah

Reaction score
Some money freed up, but the franchise tag doesn't come cheap for QBs and we have a lot of players who will be demanding money soon, JLaw, Byron, Cooper, Zeke (a year after Dak), Smith, Irving, possibly Earl Thomas and maybe a few others. Those contracts won't come cheap.
The franchise tag and transition tags can guarantee they keep two while they sign one( dak). Hopefully dak takes a discount. He owes them. He doesn’t carry the team. If he gets 25 million, this team is screwed. He’s not good enough to win if they lose two big time players.

endersdragon

Reaction score
The franchise tag and transition tags can guarantee they keep two while they sign one( dak). Hopefully dak takes a discount. He owes them. He doesn’t carry the team. If he gets 25 million, this team is screwed. He’s not good enough to win if they lose two big time players.
He probably won't get $25 million but he easily could get a Alex Smith, Case Keenum, Cam Newton type contract... and he will for sure at least demand a Ryan Tannehill type contract. How do we afford that?

KingRah

Reaction score
He probably won't get $25 million but he easily could get a Alex Smith, Case Keenum, Cam Newton type contract... and he will for sure at least demand a Ryan Tannehill type contract. How do we afford that?
Id offer 19 and never go above 20 million. We can’t justify 25 million to a guy this dependent on help. It would destroy outlet team. The defense is the best unit, followed by Zeke and the o- line. Remember what happen to the saints? They gave brees 25 million. They lost for years after that because they lost o- lineman. They didn’t win again until 2017. That’s with brees being a top 4 current qb. How would the defense feel seeing dak get 22-25 million knowing they carried the team this year?

KingRah

Reaction score
In order to u
Justify 25 is million, you need to guarantee 25 plus points per game even if you do t have a top 2 back.

endersdragon

Reaction score
In order to u
Justify 25 is million, you need to guarantee 25 plus points per game even if you do t have a top 2 back.
Agreed, but when have the quarterbacks I listed ever guaranteed that. The price for a starting QB is so high people seriously overpay.

KingRah

Reaction score
Agreed, but when have the quarterbacks I listed ever guaranteed that. The price for a starting QB is so high people seriously overpay.
Those qbs are middle of the pack and you see it in their record. With that being said, Jerry should learn from it. He would cripple this franchise for years if he overpaid dak. We would be like the early 2000s teams. Imagine dak getting 25 million and losing Zeke, d law, and Byron. It would be bad business. We’d suffer through mediocrity for at least 3 years.

endersdragon

Reaction score
Those qbs are middle of the pack and you see it in their record. With that being said, Jerry should learn from it. He would cripple this franchise for years if he overpaid dak. We would be like the early 2000s teams. Imagine dak getting 25 million and losing Zeke, d law, and Byron. It would be bad business. We’d suffer through mediocrity for at least 3 years.
Yea, my point exactly, we can't be afraid to let Dak go and we need his situation settled before the draft because if we don't have him we are going to need someone new and I don't want to go to free agency.

KingRah

Reaction score
Yea, my point exactly, we can't be afraid to let Dak go and we need his situation settled before the draft because if we don't have him we are going to need someone new and I don't want to go to free agency.
Think about this. It's a copy cat league. a few teams undervalued rbs so the rest of the league followed. the rules changed and teams still won. Jerry is a visionary. Does he have the stones to cause the change? if a team with a game manager is willing to let a dependent qb go rather than pay him, they could change the league for years. The only gm with that type of vision currently is Elway. He had Tebow. He wasn't a franchise qb. He made the playoffs, but long term wasn't the answer. Elway knew he was in a bind. P Manning was the only way to justify not keeping him. He also wouldn't overpay other guys. He's smart. even if his team loses this year, he won't be stuck overpaying a qb for years and years.

endersdragon

Reaction score
Think about this. It's a copy cat league. a few teams undervalued rbs so the rest of the league followed. the rules changed and teams still won. Jerry is a visionary. Does he have the stones to cause the change? if a team with a game manager is willing to let a dependent qb go rather than pay him, they could change the league for years. The only gm with that type of vision currently is Elway. He had Tebow. He wasn't a franchise qb. He made the playoffs, but long term wasn't the answer. Elway knew he was in a bind. P Manning was the only way to justify not keeping him. He also wouldn't overpay other guys. He's smart. even if his team loses this year, he won't be stuck overpaying a qb for years and years.
The Vikings sorta did the same thing this offseason with mixed results so who knows.

KingRah

Reaction score
I'd give Dak 19 million a year for three years. He's a qb so he can play 12 more years. If he takes a step forward and turns into a franchise guy, he'll end up making 30 million a year at some point while allowing his team to field a winning team for years. Something has to change. the purpose of paying players is to win. If you pay a guy 20 plus million, he better singlehandedly assure you of 5 wins. You pay a guy 25, you should win 9 games everyone regardless of who plays with him.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The vikings overpaid Cousins and their team is inconsistent. They're stuck with him for at least 3 years.

Yes, and getting Cousins was incredibly short-sighted. Keenum was essentially the same type of quarterback, they just did a lateral move, essentially.

Should have just kept Keenum, imho.

Cowboys have time, Dak's rookie contract isn't up until 2020, Zeke 2021. In the last 5 years the cap has gone up $10-12 million a year (approximately), assuming another $10 mil next year, with (per SportTrac) the Cowboys would have at least $57 million in cap space. And that's without any releasing of players factored in; releasing Sean Lee would save $7 million, for instance. Guys like Joe Thompson could be cut and save a small amount.

I'm not too concerned at this point about signing J. Smith, etc. Sure it'd be nice to lock in guys like B. Jones, et al, so that if they have a really good year next year you wouldn't have to pay absolute top dollar, probably could get him for a bit less if you signed him to an extension this off season.

In any case, there's still 4 games to go, possible playoffs as well, don't rush into something if you don't have to...

KingRah

Reaction score
Yes, and getting Cousins was incredibly short-sighted. Keenum was essentially the same type of quarterback, they just did a lateral move, essentially.

Should have just kept Keenum, imho.

Cowboys have time, Dak's rookie contract isn't up until 2020, Zeke 2021. In the last 5 years the cap has gone up $10-12 million a year (approximately), assuming another $10 mil next year, with (per SportTrac) the Cowboys would have at least $57 million in cap space. And that's without any releasing of players factored in; releasing Sean Lee would save $7 million, for instance. Guys like Joe Thompson could be cut and save a small amount.

I'm not too concerned at this point about signing J. Smith, etc. Sure it'd be nice to lock in guys like B. Jones, et al, so that if they have a really good year next year you wouldn't have to pay absolute top dollar, probably could get him for a bit less if you signed him to an extension this off season.

In any case, there's still 4 games to go, possible playoffs as well, don't rush into something if you don't have to...
They should’ve kept Keenum because if he did fail, they can move on without losing much money. That signing was an example of a team making a
UnWise impulse signing.
Jaylon is just as talented as Vander esh. I want him resigned. Lb ers aren’t super expensive, but you’d have to hope Jaylon gives a discount because they paid him to red shirt. Also, they’re overpaying ty Crawford. He gets. 9 million a year. They can definitely use that money on Byron.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
They should’ve kept Keenum because if he did fail, they can move on without losing much money. That signing was an example of a team making a
UnWise impulse signing.
Jaylon is just as talented as Vander esh. I want him resigned. Lb ers aren’t super expensive, but you’d have to hope Jaylon gives a discount because they paid him to red shirt. Also, they’re overpaying ty Crawford. He gets. 9 million a year. They can definitely use that money on Byron.

Actually for his production, based on NFL salaries, he's not overpaid, at least not by much. PFF ranks him as above average. Jerry Hughes of the Bills also gets $9 mil a year, and he's got only 1.5 more sacks this year, and makes about 1 more tackle a game. Carlos Dunlap has 2.5 more sacks and he makes $13 mil a year.

Crawford also can, and has, played both DT and DE. Position flexibility adds to a player's value.

At this point, with the defense playing well, I'd not be too quick to jettison him, perhaps re-work his contract, that'd free up money without losing him...