Dak just made a huge mistake

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I dont assume anything, I know there are millionaires on this board so when it comes to people's jobs, I put respect on everyone's name. Anyways...

I understand 35M/yr is alot but Mahomes just reset the market with 45M/yr. Dak will get no where near Mahomes but, now the market is around $40M for top 10 talent whether yall like it or not.

Dak isn't anywhere near Mahomes in skill level. Dak is a good quarterback; Mahomes is a great one. Jones offered Dak fair market value, but Dak is demanding more, thinking he's better than he really is. At some point it's just not worth it and you're better off moving on, drafting a QB. This is that point. I'm not sure how they'll jettison him. They may play him on the franchise tag and then see what value they can get in a trade. They might trade him now and play Dalton as a stop-gap. But giving away the farm for an above-average quarterback makes no sense and Jerry knows it. Good for Jerry for having a backbone. I'm criticizing Dak for what I see as a bad choice, as are many fans. If you disagree, that's your right. I guess you'll be criticizing Jerry for having a backbone when others of us see that as a good thing. That's fine. We don't have to agree, but I call it how I see it.

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
I don’t see it as a bad move for Dak, as fans it’s annoying, but for him I think it’s fine.

31 million is enough to live on that’s for damn sure. Plus, there’s no way we won’t franchise him again next year if we don’t agree to a long term deal next year. ( we can all huff and puff that next year they won’t tag him, but they will)

He’s got the leverage to get what he wants in this extension unless we somehow stumble upon another QB that’s better then he is.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can't believe it.

Lost a lot of respect for him.

He clearly is putting himself before the team when a fair offer was given to him.

I have a feeling this situation will not work out in his favor.

Disappointed in Prescott.

Give good old Dak a break guys!
He gave it a scouts try but failed!
First and foremost he is very simple-minded(slow to react and poor under pressure) and he tried his best to hit the target here but to no avail.
He used every PR song and dance from his mother's unfortunate passing to giving the Cops 1 million (He will regret this move one day) to achieve what his talent level couldn't...a mega-deal.
Dak is toast now as its only a matter of time when Dalton comes in and Dak's shortcomings become a reality even to his most dedicated fans.
He rolled the dice with his hot new agent and got a Pity Tag rental for one year.
Jerry for many reasons figured it was the righteous price to pay(TAG) for his mistake back in 2016 not giving Romo his job back and jumping the gun on 4th round Prescott.
The Dak era is over and here's hoping our new QB can better utilize the weapons at his disposal.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The two qualities that sold me on Dak were being extremely humble and a tough competitor. Now, he’s just a tough competitor. I’m still going to root for him on the field for this next year, but I’m going to roll my eyes and change the channel when I see him in interviews.

Even DLaw said enough with his agent’s advice and took the phone call with the Jones’ to lock himself in with the Cowboys on a more than decent deal.

I’m feeling disgusted and jaded right now. Dak was one of the last players I thought would do this.

Oh well, maybe this new coaching staff can reinvigorate my fandom this season because I’m really not looking forward to the next offseason.
/end rant

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I dont assume anything, I know there are millionaires on this board so when it comes to people's jobs, I put respect on everyone's name. Anyways...

I understand 35M/yr is alot but Mahomes just reset the market with 45M/yr. Dak will get no where near Mahomes, but now the market is around $40M for top 10 talent whether yall like it or not... Or whether you think Dak is top 10 or not.

:laugh:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Can't believe it.

Lost a lot of respect for him.

He clearly is putting himself before the team when a fair offer was given to him.

I have a feeling this situation will not work out in his favor.

Disappointed in Prescott.

I completely agree. Prescott just got on the "if you don't want to be on the Cowboys just ****" list.

Dak's leadership meter just went down 30%.

Eastex

Reaction score
I've always been a DAK supporter even when he didn't look that sharp in some games. Today I think he made a big mistake career wise. Yes, he can probably get a bigger paycheck if that is what is important to him, but he risks never having another team with the quality of players Dallas has that makes him look that good. Is he a number 2 quality QB, no but probably in top 10,and therefore shouldn't be paid like one. If he ends up on another team in a year he will also miss out on a lot of extra endorsement money that Cowboy players end up with

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
So if a company offers you a contract below market for your position, and you personally know that you are worth more... you would sign the contract?

*if you're self employed... pretend lol
It's more like "you think" you are worth more, then get turned down because your boss does not agree with you. Capitalism, you are free to look elsewhere for more money.

Swagger

Reaction score
Give good old Dak a break guys!
He gave it a scouts try but failed!
First and foremost he is very simple-minded(slow to react and poor under pressure) and he tried his best to hit the target here but to no avail.
He used every PR song and dance from his mother's unfortunate passing to giving the Cops 1 million (He will regret this move one day) to achieve what his talent level couldn't...a mega-deal.
Dak is toast now as its only a matter of time when Dalton comes in and Dak's shortcomings become a reality even to his most dedicated fans.
He rolled the dice with his hot new agent and got a Pity Tag rental for one year.
Jerry for many reasons figured it was the righteous price to pay(TAG) for his mistake back in 2016 not giving Romo his job back and jumping the gun on 4th round Prescott.
The Dak era is over and here's hoping our new QB can better utilize the weapons at his disposal better than Prescott.
YES

You must be buzzing Pappy!?

Praxit

Reaction score
...Mahomes ruined Dakky Pesky. The 10 yr crazy money contract, put Dak in a rock n hard place. Some get lucky, some dont.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Well obviously it was something else in the terms of the contract he didnt agree to. Since the offer was around what Wilson is getting. There is absolutely nothing wrong him betting on himself.
This is the second time. And hey that’s kool. But if we don’t make the championship game or the SB but go one and done in the playoffs then what does he think his worth is then. And if it’s wilson money still then I am not so sure JJ will want to pay it. His agent has really screwed him IMO, but he is allowing it. He signs it last year..

1 - He likely gets 20 million dollar signing bonus. And guessing he makes at least 25 for the year. That’s about 45 million last year alone.

2 - He probly makes 30+ this year.

3 - He would be entering his second year on the contract already. Another year closer to going back to the table.

4 - If it was a 5 year deal then they would start extending him at year 4 because his 5th year is usually for a ton of money so the pressure is on them to resign you or they can let you go to FA and get paid again. JJ generally keeps his QBs he signs.

shabazz

Reaction score
It’s certainly a big risk that I wouldn’t have taken. That’s for sure.

I don’t agree that it was a big risk at all. We’ve been told over and over again that he is a top 5 talent at the Qb position and that the market is preset and we have no choice but to sign him at that preset number.

Elite talent like Dakota will surely have no problem getting that contract from some team next year.

Rayman70

Reaction score
how much money is ENOUGH DAK? Just askin. He wants close to MAHOMMES MONEY. Never going to happen.That deal is what really killed this deal. Daks expectation level went sky high.

Redline360

Reaction score
I can see it going three ways for him next year.

He's obviously betting on him self. Let's just get it out of the way and say it's almost 100% certain he's going to put up great numbers again in this loaded offense.

1) We go deep in the playoffs and he has a great year. As I stated above he will again with this offense. Jerry caves and gives him what he wants. The defense side of the ball is still the weak point :(. Optimal outcome for him not the cowboys long term goals

2) We won't franchise tag him the second time. A team in the hunt offers him a similar contract or less then what the cowboys offered. All that for a similar contract or less should have saved the trouble and just signed with the cowboys

3) Some second rate team offers him a gawdy contract that he can't resist. His career goes there to die for "money".

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
The two qualities that sold me on Dak were being extremely humble and a tough competitor. Now, he’s just a tough competitor. I’m still going to root for him on the field for this next year, but I’m going to roll my eyes and change the channel when I see him in interviews.

/end rant

well said

Whyjerry

Reaction score
McCarthy’s hand is on this. I am sure a deal got done if Big Mike asked for it. It might actually be Dak’s last season in Dallas.

Who needs a QB next season - NE, Jax, Oakland, LAC, Washington, Chicago and Carolina. Have to assume Lawrence and Fields land in Jacksonville, Washington or Carolina. Las Vegas??? Not bad, maybe. NE clearly not bad. Chicago? Who the hell wants to play there. LAC is a dumpster fire. It’s pretty slim pickings for Dak.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Turned down 100 million guaranteed? What the .....................................?

Yeah, I've had enough of him. He's received more than fair offers for his skill set. The team should see what they can get for him and move on. Draft a QB. Play him on the franchise this year ... or not. Trade him for value if you can. Whatever. We need to move on. If it's possible to trade him away, Dalton is a perfectly fine stop-gap, like Vinnie Testaverde was. Trade up in the draft if need be and draft the best QB possible.

It could be a blessing in disguise because 100 mil guaranteed is overpaying already. Enough is enough. Trade him before the deadline, or play him this season and use him to trade up. Dak + our first for the worst team's first and get us the very first pick in the draft. And get the best QB possible. I can't even think of the guy's name.
lol im in the wrong racket lol