Dak, like Romo, is a garbage stat QB

khiladi

Reaction score
2007 was wildly over-rated as far as the offense is concerned. Romo in fact hid the warts of Jason Garrett’s play-calling even then. Dallas even when they were the number 1 offense in the league was basically in third and longs more than any other team in the league, right up there with garbage teams like SF.

Here are the teams with the most yards to go on third down this year:

DAL 8.6
SF 8.3
KC 8.0
MIA 7.8

OK, Miami and San Francisco have horrible offenses this year, Kansas City is getting nothing from Larry Johnson, so those make sense. What is Dallas doing here? How is that offense playing so well when they are constantly stuck in third-and-long?

For Romo to perform that well in this context, is mind-boggling to just how good he was and how much he was carrying the trash.

If you have access to the DVOA Premium Database, you can sort 2007 stats by down, so you know the answer. Here are the top third/fourth down offensive DVOA ratings so far this year:

DAL 90.0%
PIT 44.9%
ARI 44.1%
NE 43.5%
NYJ 43.1%

Wait. Here's passing only:

DAL 133.1%
NYJ 61.6%
NE 61.3%
DEN 56.3%
SEA 53.0%

Wow. That is a serious, serious gap.

Romo in fact was delivering at an absurd rate on third and long even in 2007, to the point it was unsustainable. They had no run game and Garrett was simply garbage as a play caller. That’s why the passing game in reality struggled to close out the season.

This idea he had turn over warts is completely bogus. In reality, he was constantly being asked to overcome third and longs from his very first season starting and his completely incompetent player never provided him any help.

This idea his OL was amazing and was good rushing is a joke, considering this stat.

Jason Garrett and Dak Prescott starting and the back stabbing of Romo are among the worst decisions this franchise ever made period. Jason Garrett outside of Dallas got a chance to prove his incompetent he was in NY which he did even better than expected and raise the legend of Romo even higher.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2007/fun-dallas-third-down

Last edited:

shabazz

Reaction score
OK OK OK - crap ….. we all know who on this forum HATES Dak and who LOVES Dak . Can we just get the flip over it and have discussions about the team that aren’t about this same garbage over and over?

Or we can even have an I HATE DAK and an I LOVE DAK forum and then another one for people who want to have civil discussions about all other things regarding this playoff team.

GO NFC EAST CHAMP COWBOYS !!!:starspin:

A lot of us have proposed creating a "Prescott sub forum" to the admin......but for some reason they prefer to have the constant bickering that leaks into almost every thread.

Perhaps this lends itself to more site traffic which one would think leads to higher ad revenues?.....not sure about that, but just a theory

Eddie

Reaction score
Dak, Romo ??? What's the difference? Neither has done squat in the playoffs.

I'd rather have Danny White.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
"What has Dak done since he’s been paid?" He came back from a major injury, won the division, they’re 11-5, & they’re 4th in the conference. Change my mind!

starfan1

Reaction score
A lot of us have proposed creating a "Prescott sub forum" to the admin......but for some reason they prefer to have the constant bickering that leaks into almost every thread.

Perhaps this lends itself to more site traffic which one would think leads to higher ad revenues?.....not sure about that, but just a theory
They never created a Romo zone either so you may have valid point

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dak can’t carry the jock strap of Romo..

Romo was actually carrying garbage at almost every position outside a skill position here and there are various times, as well as Jason Garrett as a PLAY CALLER while Dak has been dragging a talented team down..

In 2014 our OL arrived and was the best in the league. DeMarco Murray who received an MVP vote broke Emmitt Smith’s single season franchise record with over 1800 rushing yards. Dez had a career year with over 1300 yards and a franchise record 16 TDs. That was one of the best Cowboys teams we’ve had since our championship years in the 90s. You call the talent we had on that team garbage? Romo didn’t even have to pass for 4000 yards due to our running game being so outstanding. With the lack of running game the current team has Romo wouldn’t have survived half the season. The 2007 team may have been even better.

shabazz

Reaction score
They never created a Romo zone either so you may have valid point

They did it on the old, defunct site and it did a world of good. It cut down 90% of squabbles and one could consciously choose to enter that site if they chose to do battle,....it was the Romo sub-forum

Swagger

Reaction score
2007 was wildly over-rated as far as the offense is concerned. Romo in fact hid the warts of Jason Garrett’s play-calling even then. Dallas even when they were the number 1 offense in the league was basically in third and longs more than any other team in the league, right up there with garbage teams like SF.

For Romo to perform that well in this context, is mind-boggling to just how good he was and how much he was carrying the trash.

Romo in fact was delivering at an absurd rate on third and long even in 2007, to the point it was unsustainable. They had no run game and Garrett was simply garbage as a play caller. That’s why the passing game in reality struggled to close out the season.

This idea he had turn over warts is completely bogus. In reality, he was constantly being asked to overcome third and longs from his very first season starting and his completely incompetent player never provided him any help.

This idea his OL was amazing and was good rushing is a joke, considering this stat.

Jason Garrett and Dak Prescott starting and the back stabbing of Romo are among the worst decisions this franchise ever made period. Jason Garrett outside of Dallas got a chance to prove his incompetent he was in NY which he did even better than expected and raise the legend of Romo even higher.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2007/fun-dallas-third-down
I watched the Seattle game from 2014 the other day. Teams rarely won there back then against the Legion of Boom. Dallas' Special teams gave up two touchdowns and the centre bobbled the snap giving up another possession yet Romo and the offense still hung 30 points on them and secured the W. It was noticeable how many 3rd and longs Romo executed on the day. Clutch.

conner01

Reaction score
I remember fans saying Ware never having meaningful sacks
Every QB in the nfl gets points in so called garbage time
If the clock is running the game is still going
I guess stats shouldn’t count if you lose a game lol

khiladi

Reaction score
In 2014 our OL arrived and was the best in the league. DeMarco Murray who received an MVP vote broke Emmitt Smith’s single season franchise record with over 1800 rushing yards. Dez had a career year with over 1300 yards and a franchise record 16 TDs. That was one of the best Cowboys teams we’ve had since our championship years in the 90s. You call the talent we had on that team garbage? Romo didn’t even have to pass for 4000 yards due to our running game being so outstanding. With the lack of running game the current team has Romo wouldn’t have survived half the season. The 2007 team may have been even better.

Uh actually no, I don’t if you’ve followed my thousand posts on the issue. That’s Romo’s MVP season with his only year of Garrett out of the picture calling the plays

And 2007 was wildly over/rated…

RomoplusDezEquals7

Reaction score
Yeah, I know he's led the team to a bunch of great regular season wins.

He asked about standout playoff wins....so not just any playoff win. We totally curb-stomped the Eagles in the 2009 playoffs, so it wasn't all that dramatic.

Falling 14 behind to the best defense we have faced in the playoffs since the Aikman years, and coming back to win in a dramatic late 4th qtr drive was the very definition of clutch....kn other way to describe it.

Too bad it ended the next week after the overturned catch vs Green Bay.

i totally forgot they were down 14 against the Lions. And that was a pretty ferocious defense (no pun intended). I agree that was a dramatic comeback win in the playoffs against a damn good team. His 4th and 6 throw to Witten and the throw to Terrance in the back of the end zone between two defenders were pretty dang clutch.

RomoplusDezEquals7

Reaction score
I watched the Seattle game from 2014 the other day. Teams rarely won there back then against the Legion of Boom. Dallas' Special teams gave up two touchdowns and the centre bobbled the snap giving up another possession yet Romo and the offense still hung 30 points on them and secured the W. It was noticeable how many 3rd and longs Romo executed on the day. Clutch.

Yes it was. Multiple long drives and multiple 3rd and long conversions. Especially that 3rd and 14 to avoid the rush and hit Williams along the sidelines. One of my favorite regular season wins. That defense wasn’t good, but was opportunistic. The special teams was pretty crappy. Lucky whitehead muffed a punt that game and the Cowboys lost the TO battle and Romo and Murray still led them to victory.

Swagger

Reaction score
i totally forgot they were down 14 against the Lions. And that was a pretty ferocious defense (no pun intended). I agree that was a dramatic comeback win in the playoffs against a damn good team. His 4th and 6 throw to Witten and the throw to Terrance in the back of the end zone between two defenders were pretty dang clutch.
Yes I remember Romo saying the Lions had a very strong defensive front. The team did well to win that game. Lawrence at the end recovered the strip sack after Stafford fumbled the ball, subsequently ran with it then had it stripped away! I was seething but then he made the strip sack to close out the game. Very exciting game.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Uh actually no, I don’t if you’ve followed my thousand posts on the issue. That’s Romo’s MVP season with his only year of Garrett out of the picture calling the plays

And 2007 was wildly over/rated…

DeMarco Murray was the Cowboys MVP that season in 2014, both he and Romo received MVP votes. Romo was able to manage games with Murray leading the way. It’s been argued by many that our 2007 team was the best team the Cowboys had since their 90s championships. That was one of the most explosive offenses the Cowboys had ever had for at least 10 games. They had TO and Terry Glenn. The Cowboys were scoring 33 points a game until the wheels started coming off late in the season. The team faded just like our current team is fading. Romo had a franchise record 36 TDs that season. He was on pace for over 40 until his game fell apart in Dec. We beat the Giants twice that season and they went on to win the Super Bowl. That team wasn’t overrated it sputtered out. Romo had several other good teams so don’t pretend he didn’t. I’m not going any further with this discussion, I’m in no mood for a marathon debate on a topic we clearly don’t see eye to eye. I’ve given my opinion and if you don’t agree that’s fine. I’ve argued with you in the past and you like to keep going and going and going! I don’t have the time for it.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Romo was a better QB, but much like Romo, I've seen enough of Dak... Time to move on.
Bingo! This team just falls in love with the first QB that looks half decent and treats him like he is elite. In the meantime the GOAT was available and not a sniff. Next year Rodgers may be looking for anew team and guess what. They won't even look at him.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yes I remember Romo saying the Lions had a very strong defensive front. The team did well to win that game. Lawrence at the end recovered the strip sack after Stafford fumbled the ball, subsequently ran with it then had it stripped away! I was seething but then he made the strip sack to close out the game. Very exciting game.
The Lions were the highest rated defense Dallas has played in the playoffs in a very long time. Suh, Fairley, etc....pretty dominant.
Seattle was probably still the best D in 2014 but Detroit was right behind them

The WORST pass defense we have ever faced in the playoffs was vs the 2016 Packers (31st ranked and just plain awful both statistically and in real life)

phildadon86

Reaction score
This is hogwash. Romo took benefit from a 1700+ yd rusher, allowing him to reduce the number times he had to throw the ball and take fewer risks. His ability to read defenses didn't start in 2014. While I don't believe that he was ready in 2007, by 2009 I think he was capable of making a playoff run it's just that the o-line completely collapsed (injury wise) at Minnesota that year in the divisional round.

I don't agree that Prescott is better now than Romo was at the same point. Romo wins that game against the Cardinals last Sunday. Why? Because he was always a greedy quarterback who pushed the ball down the field, especially on third down. His great escapes on that down are legend. Prescott is risk averse and is simply too quick to want to check down or take underneath routes rather than waiting out longer routes, even from a clean pocket.
Lol. Romo throws a pick in that game

DFWJC

Reaction score
DeMarco Murray was the Cowboys MVP that season in 2014, both he and Romo received MVP votes. Romo was able to manage games with Murray leading the way. It’s been argued by many that our 2007 team was the best team the Cowboys had since their 90s championships. That was one of the most explosive offenses the Cowboys had ever had for at least 10 games. They had TO and Terry Glenn. The Cowboys were scoring 33 points a game until the wheels started coming off late in the season. The team faded just like our current team is fading. Romo had a franchise record 36 TDs that season. He was on pace for over 40 until his game fell apart in Dec. We beat the Giants twice that season and they went on to win the Super Bowl. That team wasn’t overrated it sputtered out. Romo had several other good teams so don’t pretend he didn’t. I’m not going any further with this discussion, I’m in no mood for a marathon debate on a topic we clearly don’t see eye to eye. I’ve given my opinion and if you don’t agree that’s fine. I’ve argued with you in the past and you like to keep going and going and going! I don’t have the time for it.
fwiw......Terry Glenn was not really part of that 2007 team. He was hurt all year and retired after that.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
fwiw......Terry Glenn was not really part of that 2007 team. He was hurt all year and retired after that.

True, we got him back for the playoffs but he didn’t do anything. However TO had a great season. Just under 1400 yards with 15 TD’s. Marion Barber and Julius Jones provided a good two headed monster at RB. That team looked special for 11 games before the wheels started coming off and players started heading for Cabo.

DFWJC

Reaction score
True, we got him back for the playoffs but he didn’t do anything. However TO had a great season. Just under 1400 yards with 15 TD’s.
TO was a monster...even at 33/34 years old. Was hurt during the Giants game though.

As for the team limping into the playoffs, that is absolutely true. They looked bad in December and had multiple injuries entering the playoffs--including to Romo and T.O.

There was a reason Phillips ordered the facilities closed and the team to get away for a few days before coming back for a full week of practice before playing the Giants.