Dak, like Romo, is a garbage stat QB

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
TO was a monster...even at 33/34 years old. Was hurt during the Giants game though.

As for the team limping into the playoffs, that is absolutely true. They looked bad in December and had multiple injuries entering the playoffs--including to Romo and T.O.

There was a reason Phillips ordered the facilities closed and the team to get away for a few days before coming back for a full week of practice before playing the Giants.

He shouldn’t have allowed players to get away to Cabo. Never heard of such a thing before a playoff game. The Cowboys had 12 days off before the Giants playoff game and looked flat. One of the most disappointing seasons I can remember. That season is why I don’t trust them. They burned us good that season. Had the Giants not gone on to beat us in the playoffs and win the Super Bowl after we beat them twice that season it might not have been as bad. It made that season sting even more.

Swagger

Reaction score
The Lions were the highest rated defense Dallas has played in the playoffs in a very long time. Suh, Fairley, etc....pretty dominant.
Seattle was probably still the best D in 2014 but Detroit was right behind them

The WORST pass defense we have ever faced in the playoffs was vs the 2016 Packers (31st ranked and just plain awful both statistically and in real life)
Yes I remember the Packers' 2016 pass defense very well with guys off the street and it got even worse with more injuries during the game. I can't take anyone seriously who is still of the view that the team made the right decision to stick with Prescott in the play offs. I can't think of many other teams who would have left out an All Pro vet QB who played at an MVP level in 2014 in favour of a rookie QB. The Cowboys lost the game and to a last second field goal having not attacked the Packers' secondary until well into the second quarter. The Cowboys subsequently won 1 play off game over the next 4 years so it can't even be argued that the experience helped the rookie QB reach the Superbowl a year or two after.

They lost the game yet they might have won with Romo and the team was well matched up to beat the Falcons at home (dominate time of possession against their defense which gassed against the Patriots) and reach the Superbowl.

Yet some so called fans preferred to stick with Prescott and take the guaranteed L? Most odd.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
DeMarco Murray was the Cowboys MVP that season in 2014, both he and Romo received MVP votes. Romo was able to manage games with Murray leading the way. It’s been argued by many that our 2007 team was the best team the Cowboys had since their 90s championships. That was one of the most explosive offenses the Cowboys had ever had for at least 10 games. They had TO and Terry Glenn. The Cowboys were scoring 33 points a game until the wheels started coming off late in the season. The team faded just like our current team is fading. Romo had a franchise record 36 TDs that season. He was on pace for over 40 until his game fell apart in Dec. We beat the Giants twice that season and they went on to win the Super Bowl. That team wasn’t overrated it sputtered out. Romo had several other good teams so don’t pretend he didn’t. I’m not going any further with this discussion, I’m in no mood for a marathon debate on a topic we clearly don’t see eye to eye. I’ve given my opinion and if you don’t agree that’s fine. I’ve argued with you in the past and you like to keep going and going and going! I don’t have the time for it.

Still don't get why some feel the need to downplay or diminish the teams that Romo had. They can try to have revisionists history now or look back and insist that Romo never got the proper help or a team that was good enough for the Cowboys to win a Super Bowl or make a deep playoff run with, but at the time, during the 2007 or 2014 seasons, I'm sure that the Cowboys were believed amongst sports media and in the NFL world, to have one of the most talented rosters in the league.

The narrative now with Dak is that *insert QB* could win a Super Bowl with this roster, when Dak can't and yet I'm sure that there were Romo critics back then who are saying the same thing, claiming that Peyton Manning, Brady or whichever QB was viewed as elite during Romo's era, could have won a Super Bowl with the teams that Romo had or had more success with the teams that Romo had. Romo during the time got a reputation (perhaps sometimes unfairly) of being a "choker" who couldn't get it done in December or in the playoffs. But, now some want to build him up to be a QB who would always rise up and come through in the big games and big moments, where they doubt that Dak can be able to do.

And the reputation of the Cowboys being a team who would always be one and done, and get bounced from the first round, happened during Romo's time and has carried over to Dak's. But, again now some insist that Romo would be guaranteed to come through in some of the big games that the Cowboys have lost with Dak or blame Dak for the Cowboys losing. Despite the "choker" label the media and some NFL fans gave to him.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He shouldn’t have allowed players to get away to Cabo. Never heard of such a thing before a playoff game. The Cowboys had 12 days off before the Giants playoff game and looked flat. One of the most disappointing seasons I can remember. That season is why I don’t trust them. They burned us good that season. Had the Giants not gone on to beat us in the playoffs and win the Super Bowl after we beat them twice that season it might not have been as bad.
It was just the name "Cabo"....sounds exotic. Simple 2 hour flight from Dallas....closer than driving to Oklahoma City. Go hang out in a house with girl friends and watch football and chill.

Most of the rest of the team went to Miami or Las Vegas...... the same difference or far worse.
And the ones that stayed here camped out in the strip clubs. Cabo seemed like kindergarten in comparison. It was all perspective.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
Romo never won anything and he should be criticized for it.

Still doesn’t take away that he’s a way better QB than Dak.

Trent Dilfer, Flacco, Eli, and several others won titles that Romo is a lot better than.

When we play Peyton Manning and he is scoring every drive Tony Romo can play that same game anytime he steps on the field. Doesn’t mean we will win.
When you begin a discussion with "Romo never won anything", that should be the END of the discussion. It doesn't matter who is better between Romo or Dak, it's pointless, bottom line is neither QB currently owns a SB ring. In Dak's case, he has an opportunity to change that.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
He shouldn’t have allowed players to get away to Cabo. Never heard of such a thing before a playoff game. The Cowboys had 12 days off before the Giants playoff game and looked flat. One of the most disappointing seasons I can remember. That season is why I don’t trust them. They burned us good that season. Had the Giants not gone on to beat us in the playoffs and win the Super Bowl after we beat them twice that season it might not have been as bad. It made that season sting even more.

The Cowboys were viewed amongst the media as being one of the favorites to go all of the way and that again doesn't happen if the media believed that Romo's rosters were as untalented or bad as some now try to make them out to be. The Cowboys looked like a team who should have beaten the Giants, which made that season so disappointing.

Swagger

Reaction score
When you begin a discussion with "Romo never won anything", that should be the END of the discussion. It doesn't matter who is better between Romo or Dak, it's pointless, bottom line is neither QB currently owns a SB ring. In Dak's case, he has an opportunity to change that.
That also applies to Dan Marino given that you don't consider it to be a team game.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Imagine making a thread about two different players and being entirely wrong about both.

Swagger

Reaction score
The Cowboys were viewed amongst the media as being one of the favorites to go all of the way and that again doesn't happen if the media believed that Romo's rosters were as untalented or bad as some now try to make them out to be. The Cowboys looked like a team who should have beaten the Giants, which made that season so disappointing.
Romo can't catch his own throws. The Giants took down the Patriots. If Crayton didn't hesitate on his route then the Cowboys win. Elite level sport often comes down to a play or two. Did Brady overthrow Welker and cost the Patriots a Superbowl or did he drop the ball?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Still don't get why some feel the need to downplay or diminish the teams that Romo had. They can try to have revisionists history now or look back and insist that Romo never got the proper help or a team that was good enough for the Cowboys to win a Super Bowl or make a deep playoff run with, but at the time, during the 2007 or 2014 seasons, I'm sure that the Cowboys were believed amongst sports media and in the NFL world, to have one of the most talented rosters in the league.

The narrative now with Dak is that *insert QB* could win a Super Bowl with this roster, when Dak can't and yet I'm sure that there were Romo critics back then who are saying the same thing, claiming that Peyton Manning, Brady or whichever QB was viewed as elite during Romo's era, could have won a Super Bowl with the teams that Romo had or had more success with the teams that Romo had. Romo during the time got a reputation (perhaps sometimes unfairly) of being a "choker" who couldn't get it done in December or in the playoffs. But, now some want to build him up to be a QB who would always rise up and come through in the big games and big moments, where they doubt that Dak can be able to do.

And the reputation of the Cowboys being a team who would always be one and done, and get bounced from the first round, happened during Romo's time and has carried over to Dak's. But, again now some insist that Romo would be guaranteed to come through in some of the big games that the Cowboys have lost with Dak or blame Dak for the Cowboys losing. Despite the "choker" label the media and some NFL fans gave to him.
2007 roster was pretty well-rounded.
They started off rolling and the hype machine took off. That was back when Pro Bowl was voted on by mid-season and pretty much anyone that owned a jersey got voted in. That part was a joke.

But it was a very nice team fully capable of making to the SB.
And really, if Crayton just completes his route with 17 seconds left....he catches a perfectly thrown, game-winning TD pass and Dallas advances past NY. Stuff happens.

However....The best team....BY FAR...in 2007, was the record-breaking Patriots. They blew out Dallas by 3 TDs during the season.
Still amazing that they got held to 14 points vs the Giants in the Super Bowl.

2014 had a great offense and an average defense.
So close to advancing to the NFC title game.
It's not like they rolled over. The only "incomplete" pass the entire second half was the Dez overturned catch.
Winning at Lambeau is not a picnic and that was a great battle.

basel90

Reaction score
Dak seems to be similar to Romo in being a QB who puts up good stats and wins against average teams and also puts up good stats against good teams but it seems to be late game catchup stats which ultimately come up short after falling behind early.
I wish we had Romo with this defense now . Dak is not even close to Romo .
Heck , Dak overcame so many obstacles during games and was a threat . Dak has it all now and fails every important game , and then some .

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It was just the name "Cabo"....sounds exotic. Simple 2 hour flight from Dallas....closer than driving to Oklahoma City. Go hang out in a house with girl friends and watch football and chill.

Most of the rest of the team went to Miami or Las Vegas...... the same difference or far worse.
And the ones that stayed here camped out in the strip clubs. Cabo seemed like kindergarten in comparison. It was all perspective.

Cabo is a vacation destiny, you’re leaving the country. It’s not an appropriate trip for an NFL player especially the QB of your team to be taking during an NFL season, prior to a playoff game. A trip to New York or Chicago to get away, fine but not Cabo! To make it worse Romo took Jessica Simpson with him. Jason Witten went along and said they tried to keep the trip quiet because they knew it didn’t look good. Once the trip leaked out and the Cowboys lost to the Giants fans and even some in the media came down hard on Romo. The trip to Cabo made it look like he didn’t care. It started fans complaining about his golf and everything else he did.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Romo can't catch his own throws. The Giants took down the Patriots. If Crayton didn't hesitate on his route then the Cowboys win. Elite level sport often comes down to a play or two. Did Brady overthrow Welker and cost the Patriots a Superbowl or did he drop the ball?

Yeah, but with Dak if a WR drops a ball or misses on a route, then Dak is still either accuse of throwing a bad pass or his critics still say things like how Dak is suppose to overcome the shortcomings or miscues of the other players on the team, in big games no matter what. Some still put the playoff loses the Cowboys had since 2016 soley or mainly on Dak's shoulders.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Cabo is a vacation destiny, you’re leaving the country. It’s not an appropriate trip for an NFL player especially the QB of your team to be taking during an NFL season, prior to a playoff game. A trip to New York or Chicago to get away, fine but not Cabo! To make it worse Romo took Jessica Simpson with him. Jason Witten went along and said they tried to keep the trip quiet because they knew it didn’t look good. Once the trip leaked out and the Cowboys lost to the Giants fans and even some in the media came down hard on Romo. The trip to Cabo made it look like he didn’t care. It started fans complaining about his golf and everything else he did.
I get it.
Low IQ fans looked at perception vs reality. Uh,uh...Cabo. It was comical and sad.
Vegas and South Beach are vacation destinations too. Probably 30 players went there an no mention.....HUGE party scenes...probably staying out all hours...etc.
Perception vs reality.

But you are right.....Romo and Witten should not have given anyone the ammo. Though neither have ever been big partiers, It was a mistake.
Of course, 1 completed pass with 17 seconds left and it nevr gets mentioned again.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

The Romo apologists tend to ignore that fact so they can continue to make excuses and downplay the teams he had.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I get it.
Low IQ fans looked at perception vs reality. Uh,uh...Cabo. It was comical and sad.
Vegas and South Beach are vacation destinations too. Probably 30 players went there an no mention.....HUGE party scenes...probably staying out all hours...etc.
Perception vs reality.

But you are right.....Romo and Witten should not have given anyone the ammo. Though neither have ever been big partiers, It was a mistake.

At least you’re not leaving the country to go to South Beach or Vegas. The Cabo trip was made even bigger because it was Romo. That’s your leader and the face of the franchise and he was tagging along with Jessica Simpson. That’s what TMZ and tabloids are made of.

Swagger

Reaction score
Yeah, but with Dak if a WR drops a ball or misses on a route, then Dak is still either accuse of throwing a bad pass or his critics still say things like how Dak is suppose to overcome the shortcomings or miscues of the other players on the team, in big games no matter what. Some still put the playoff loses the Cowboys had since 2016 soley or mainly on Dak's shoulders.
The play off loss against the Rams was down to the Cowboys' run defense. I think Prescott could have played a bit better but imo we lose that game regardless of who was the QB. I have no issues with Prescott and that play off loss.

2016 is different for me as whilst overall, Prescott played well against the Packers and we could have won the game if we had a better defense, those were the cards dealt on the day and ultimately it was a shoot-out. Some people seem to compare rookie Prescott with rookie Romo in 2016 not a rookie QB vs a top 3 QB in the league in 2014 and an All Pro vet QB at that time. With the o-line and running game in 2016, they could have opened up the whole playbook from the off to relentlessly exploit the Packers' secondary with Romo under centre.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
The Romo apologists tend to ignore that fact so they can continue to make excuses and downplay the teams he had.

Makes me wonder what they would say about the 2016 roster if Romo took over like they believed he should have, but then the Cowboys still didn't win a Super Bowl in that year. Would some then claim that the 2016 team was untalented or "no help" for Romo as well? And the the same for the 2018, 2021 Cowboys rosters and so on?

Swagger

Reaction score
The Falcons slapped the Packers the following week and could have put 50 points on them if they needed to.