Twitter: Dak missed open receivers on two biggest plays

Sydla

Reaction score
SHOW ME THE SAFETY. For all you know, he's already dropped his hips and is driving on Ferg.

He can make the throw, I didn't say he can't. The progression is to go to the guy with 1-1 coverage. The point is that it's not some egregious miss. Based on the pre-snap look and wherever the safety is, the play is designed to go to the backside WR who is in man coverage. He has to win a route.

At :03 the ball is already gone lol. I didn't realize that before. People are nitpicking the WR being open after the ball is already thrown and Ferg hasn't even crossed the LB's face yet. If he waits for Ferg to get open, all you'd say is he holds the ball too long and can't process.

I will say it again. It is the correct read and the correct throw, the WR has to win a route.

I am trying to find the All-22 that was floating around Twitter. Mosher is right, that view makes the play look even worse.

It was not the correct read and throw. Dak flat out missed Ferguson. And it happens. Even the best do it. Sucks it happened in that spot.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I am trying to find the All-22 that was floating around Twitter. Mosher is right, that view makes the play look even worse.

It was not the correct read and throw. Dak flat out missed Ferguson. And it happens. Even the best do it. Sucks it happened in that spot.
Yes it was. If not 1a then 1b. When he's looking at Ferguson, he is not open. You're asking him to stick on Ferguson and wait for him to come open nearly 4 seconds after the ball is snapped with an OL that can't block.

Get quickly through progressions to the player with man coverage on the backside. This is fundamental stuff.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
This happens every single game that's played in the NFL. The idea that only Prescott should see open WRs at all times is pretty unreasonable.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yes it was. If not 1a then 1b. When he's looking at Ferguson, he is not open. You're asking him to stick on Ferguson and wait for him to come open nearly 4 seconds after the ball is snapped with an OL that can't block.

Get quickly through progressions to the player with man coverage on the backside. This is fundamental stuff.
Dak isn't even done his drop and Ferguson is already breaking open as the DB is caught flat footed. By the time Dak settles into his drop, Ferguson is clearly wide open.

Dak missed him. It's just that simple. Doesn't mean he stunk or anything, he was actually elite that game.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Dak isn't even done his drop and Ferguson is already open. The LB got caught and by the time Dak settles into his drop, Ferguson is clearly wide open.

It was a mistake by Dak. Plain and simple. It happens. He played great but that wsa just a mistake.
He's already moved through his progression by the time he stops his drop.

This is a stupid conversation because everyone is telling me the safety isn't in play but not showing where the safety is. That could easily have been called a seam route for Ferg and the S is already driving on it before Dak moves to Tolbert.

Sydla

Reaction score
If you freeze the 2nd video 1 and 2 second marks, Dak appears to still be looking that side of the field and Ferguson is breaking and then becomes open before Dak then scans the other side and throws to Tolbert.

Sydla

Reaction score
He's already moved through his progression by the time he stops his drop.

This is a stupid conversation because everyone is telling me the safety isn't in play but not showing where the safety is. That could easily have been called a seam route for Ferg and the S is already driving on it before Dak moves to Tolbert.
Nope. Freeze the video as Dak plants his back leg at end of the drop. He's still surveying the other side/middle of the field.

He then quickly looks to his right and fires to Tolbert.

The video don't lie. It appears he missed Ferguson. It happens.

Last edited:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Thats not how I heard it. It ooks like the OP heard it the same way based on the thread title.
Well, I don't know what to tell you. He was clearly criticizing Ferguson (though I'm still not clear on what he did differently than Lamb).

Haimerej

Reaction score
SHOW ME THE SAFETY
If you have NFL+, the play happens at 1:11:20 on the All 22. The safety is backpedaling and 15-20 yards away from Ferguson when Dak plants his back foot.

This was a miss, plain and simple. Dak even appears to be looking his way. You said the right read was to the 1 on 1. It was man coverage across the board. Ferguson winning at the snap should've caught his attention.

Zman5

Reaction score
Well, I don't know what to tell you. He was clearly criticizing Ferguson (though I'm still not clear on what he did differently than Lamb).
He does criticize Fergurson. He also says, "If he comes to that side, the wide side of the field. Like Brandon Cooks is going to walk into the end zone and nobody is going to be around him". That sounds to me like he is implying Dak could have gone to Cooks.

And this thread title is "Dak missed open receivers on two biggest plays" which tells me the OP thought the same.

Last edited:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
He does criticize Fergurson. He also says, "If he comes to that side, the wide side of the field. Like Brandon Cooks is going to walk into the end zone and nobody is going to be around him". That sounds to me like he is implying Dak could have gone to Cooks.

And this thread title is "Dak missed open receivers on two biggest plays" which tells me the OP thought the same.
Well, what the OP thinks, doesn't really mean much.
Baldy's own words in his tweet - "it comes down to the details. Have to score from the +1. One side is picture perfect; one side doesnt get it done. " Clearly criticizing Ferguson (but not really explaining what he did wrong - nobody seems to be able to explain what the difference was between how he ran it and how Lamb ran it).
The comment about "if he comes to that side" just appears to be a statement of fact. If that had been the initial read, and he starts on that side, then yes, Cooks walks into the end zone. Unfortunately, it wasn't the initial read. Ideally, you throw to the blitz side, as that's where the gap is created. Philly disguised the blitz well. Pollard thought a 2nd guy was coming in on the left (which is why he went that way and didn't attempt to pickup the blitzer on the right).

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Sometimes the QB has to make a play. Be situationally aware. Recognize the script is off the rails and make something happen. Especially when the game is on the line. Spin away from the one "free rusher", buy a couple seconds and make the damn play. If you watch any amount of football you've seen it a million times.

Dak played a hell of a game for 90% of it, but when it came down to it.... he Daked it up, like usual.

Zman5

Reaction score
Well, what the OP thinks, doesn't really mean much.
Baldy's own words in his tweet - "it comes down to the details. Have to score from the +1. One side is picture perfect; one side doesnt get it done. " Clearly criticizing Ferguson (but not really explaining what he did wrong - nobody seems to be able to explain what the difference was between how he ran it and how Lamb ran it).
What OP thinks does matter since he started the thread with the title "Dak missed open receivers on two biggest plays" with Baldy's twitt as proof. That should tell you, it wasn't just me but the OP also thought Baldy's Twitt implied Dak had a chance to go to Cooks.

The comment about "if he comes to that side" just appears to be a statement of fact. If that had been the initial read, and he starts on that side, then yes, Cooks walks into the end zone. Unfortunately, it wasn't the initial read. Ideally, you throw to the blitz side, as that's where the gap is created. Philly disguised the blitz well. Pollard thought a 2nd guy was coming in on the left (which is why he went that way and didn't attempt to pickup the blitzer on the right).
Baldy doesn't say anything about "If that had been the initial read". That's just your interpretation. What he EXACTLY said and the way he presented the video of the play implies he thought Dak could have went to Cookes on that play.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Cooks and Ferguson were open on two critical 4th down plays. :facepalm:

That is just a trait of Dak's, he focuses on one player only without going through his reads...always does.

(oh, don't get al bent out of shape Dakstans, you know it's true)

Kevinicus

Reaction score
What OP thinks does matter since he started the thread with the title "Dak missed open receivers on two biggest plays" with Baldy's twitt as proof. That should tell you, it wasn't just me but the OP also thought Baldy's Twitt implied Dak had a chance to go to Cooks.

Baldy doesn't say anything about "If that had been the initial read". That's just your interpretation. What he EXACTLY said and the way he presented the video of the play implies he thought Dak could have went to Cookes on that play.
The OP's opinion carries no weight in what Baldy was saying. Only what Baldy was saying. Just because the OP was wrong, it doesn't add value to the wrong impression.
What exactly he said is...Ferguson did poorly (but he doesn't clarify exactly how he did things differently than Lamb).

Some people too eager to criticize Dak (OP). Some too eager to defend him (you).

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Cooks and Ferguson were open on two critical 4th down plays. :facepalm:

This has been Prescot's MO for a few years now, he seems to lock on to his first read and doesn't care if that receiver or TE is blanketed, he's going to force that ball into that target when on this play Fergy was WIDE OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One more thing, Prescot targeted Fergy more than anybody else in this game when he appeared to be under pressure and it's pretty dam troubling how he ends up throwing into heavy coverage when his favorite target in this game was running free up the middle of the field. This is why Prescot will never win a SB trophy and I mean NEVER win the Big Game because he doesn't have the skills it takes to be that type of QB.