Dak on Kellen it’s Completely his Offense

phildadon86

Reaction score
BS he hired Dave Shula who was not part of the program he had at Miami and it failed, he brings in Turner again a person he had not worked with in the past and Turner ran the offense and that was claimed by Aikman. Jimmy over saw this team which is the job of a HC. You guys are fricken clueless of what a HC does. He is not in charge on 1 side of the ball he has total responsibility over the entire team. This OC and DC success or failure rest on the HC. The team loses that is on his assistant coaches it is on the HC period.

So why has Garrett gone thru so many coordinators and is still left standing? LOL. Oh yeah. Jerry.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So why has Garrett gone thru so many coordinators and is still left standing? LOL. Oh yeah. Jerry.

Well you answered your own question. Why does any HC have a job? Because the GM and or Owner choose to keep them. I have said many times before I would have fired Garrett after the 2015 season and I think the only thing that saved him was a very unlikely season the following year in 2016 when the star QB went down and Dallas was left with a 4th rd rookie QB to run the offense. That team was given no chance of doing anything yet managed to put up a very good season going 13-3. If Garrett were to get fired today I would not shed a tear over it, he has been given time but as long as he is HC I will support him and the rest of the team because my interest is seeing the success of this team. I have no say and no control, I can pout about it when they do not do what I want or I can act like a grown man and accept there are something in life I have no control over. I have the option of watching the Cowboys and supporting them or support someone else that I see eye to eye with. We all have that choice so whining like little girls all the time is not something I care to do but seems others enjoy it considering that is all they do around here.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Johnson did not call any plays offense or defense and was here only for 5 years. I love Jimmy Johnson but the facts is he did not call any plays that was given to others. When Dave Shula was hired by him the offense was a joke, the then hired Turner who he had no past with. As for defense the defense was bend but don't break under Wannstead and it was not until they went out and got Haley that it started to change. Again this is not a knock on Johnson, he over saw the entire team which is the primary role of a HC. To act as if the HC is responsible for 1 side of the ball is beyond stupid, HC is in charge of all things taking place on the field. Get a clue
I don't care that he didn't call plays. It was HIS offense and HIS defense.

JG doesn't have anything if it's Moore's offense. I don't really buy that yet, but if Moore can do whatever he wants, there is absolutely nothing that JG can take any ownership of.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't care that he didn't call plays. It was HIS offense and HIS defense.

JG doesn't have anything if it's Moore's offense. I don't really buy that yet, but if Moore can do whatever he wants, there is absolutely nothing that JG can take any ownership of.

It was his responsibility and his Offense? he did not run the same offense in Miami as he did in Dallas. Emmitt went to Florida instead of Miami because Jimmy did not run the ball that much and Hall did at Florida. So this non sense Jimmy system? it was not his system. Shula was not his system and Turner was not his system 2 very different approaches between Shula and Turner. Jimmy was not a big X and O guy Jimmy was a motivator knowing what buttons to push on any given player to get the most out of them.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
So what is Garrett needed for? If this is true, we have the only head coach in history who contributes nothing except making practice schedules and calling timeouts.

Exactly. When we're winning, Garrett was the brain behind everything. He did it all.
When we 're losing, Garrett's like Sergeant Shultz......
The Players just didn't execute, and the rest is all Jerry's fault. :huh:

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Exactly. When we're winning, Garrett was the brain behind everything. He did it all.
When we 're losing, Garrett's like Sergeant Shultz......
The Players just didn't execute, and the rest is all Jerry's fault. :huh:

I have never believed Garrett was the brains behind anything and kind of snicker at those who do.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
It was his responsibility and his Offense? he did not run the same offense in Miami as he did in Dallas. Emmitt went to Florida instead of Miami because Jimmy did not run the ball that much and Hall did at Florida. So this non sense Jimmy system? it was not his system. Shula was not his system and Turner was not his system 2 very different approaches between Shula and Turner. Jimmy was not a big X and O guy Jimmy was a motivator knowing what buttons to push on any given player to get the most out of them.
Everything was Jimmy's system in that it was the vision of what he wanted it to be, regardless of what he did at Miami. Turner, Shula, Wannstedt, whoever wouldn't have been there if they did not want to operate under the vision that Jimmy had. JG has been the same way with the offense (though not the defense), and if more has control, it means JG owns nothing.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
If QB1 is saying this I take it that same directive has been communicated to the OC.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everything was Jimmy's system in that it was the vision of what he wanted it to be, regardless of what he did at Miami. Turner, Shula, Wannstedt, whoever wouldn't have been there if they did not want to operate under the vision that Jimmy had. JG has been the same way with the offense (though not the defense), and if more has control, it means JG owns nothing.
Sure it was. lol

You guys are arguing in circles. It's not really that hard. Jimmy did not himself design or install the system, but Jimmy did have the choice to use it or not and he had to buy into it before it was used. That's it in a nutshell.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Sure it was. lol

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You guys are arguing in circles. It's not really that hard. Jimmy did not himself design or install the system, but Jimmy did have the choice to use it or not and he had to buy into it before it was used. That's it in a nutshell.

Sure. I don't disagree with that at all. However Jimmy himself talked about his psychology major and that a big part of what he did was how to motivate and get the best out of people. That was a major key for Jimmy. We would see Jimmy jump all over some when they made mistakes yet when a guy like Lett made mistakes Jimmy dealt with it differently because Jimmy knew all people are not wired the same and coming down on Lett would not help get the most out of him. In terms of X and O was never a big aspect of his ability as a HC.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Kellen Moore got a LOT more involved in putting together the game plan when the team was 3-5.

Since then, they went 7-1 and won a playoff game.

So, with a head coach on a one-year deal, it makes sense.
erod, how do you know he got more "involved"? I'm sure that info must have been put out someplace, maybe I just missed it? If true, and it was the offense was more designed by his input, then maybe were all freaking out over his taking command of the offense is foolish. IF it was more on Moore, then I'll take a 7-1 win streak all day...

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure. I don't disagree with that at all. However Jimmy himself talked about his psychology major and that a big part of what he did was how to motivate and get the best out of people. That was a major key for Jimmy. We would see Jimmy jump all over some when they made mistakes yet when a guy like Lett made mistakes Jimmy dealt with it differently because Jimmy knew all people are not wired the same and coming down on Lett would not help get the most out of him. In terms of X and O was never a big aspect of his ability as a HC.

This is all true, and maybe instead of saying Jimmy didn't design or install the system I should have said he didn't design, install or run the system. Bottom line is it wasn't his system in the sense that he actually participated in creating it or making it work, but it was his system in that he chose the defensive coaches, which naturally included choosing to run their defensive system.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This is all true, and maybe instead of saying Jimmy didn't design or install the system I should have said he didn't design, install or run the system. Bottom line is it wasn't his system in the sense that he actually participated in creating it or making it work, but it was his system in that he chose the defensive coaches, which naturally included choosing to run their defensive system.

It was a base 4-3 with a lot of zone coverage early on. Johnson strong suite and I don't make light of it is how to get the most out of his players and knowing not all people are the same and how you deal with each player to get through to them. Guys who were border line players always had to tow the line or he would cut them quick, key players again he knew what buttons to push. I never saw it as his offense or defense it was his players and he knew how to get the most out of them. As for Garrett I think he also is good about getting players to buy into what they are doing to keep them on an even keel, these guys do not give up even when things look bleak. In the end while that is important winning and competing for a championship has to be the end result and I do think time is running out. Garrett will have to get this team over that hump or he will be gone. I hope he can.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does anybody on the cowboys know how to just shut up?

Media is part of everyday life for every team. No team or all the players and coaches, simply refuses to talk to the media at all times. Most of the time the problem isn't with them talking to the media, it's that the fans take whatever they say and make a mountain out of a molehill.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure how to take this. Obviously Dak isn't the one that gets to decide how much control Moore gets, so does he know something the coaches haven't said so far?
I can see Dak's mouth moving but those words might be coming from someone else. Is Booger ambidextrous? Can he work two at once? My, my and both are in contract years.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He also said the cowboys didnt need a Mr 1 receiver! And he was wrong then.
Yep, he did but we don't know who asked him to say that. And complaining about not having one would be really bad form. Plus, one of his strongest attributes in as a leader and that's what the leader does. Even though when the pass offense was struggling, he did not react to Beasley or Hurns comments that they were getting open. He understands the role of the leader very well.