Dak on the next step for the Cowboy's offense

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The problem is, he's pretty old and worn for the position. Do you really expect better results now than when he was younger and fresher? I don't. And I think most of the players aren't chasing the ring as much as they claim given how they constantly perform in the playoffs.
I don’t expect better results. But the NFL is a strange place where things happen that’s not suppose to….but Father Time undefeated….

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
No, I believe Prescott's public admission. Jones is doing what Jones does. He is selling the perception he is actively involved in securing quarterback security while he is likely saying squat to Prescott behind the scenes.
+1

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Next step for the offense though is to run more dives up the middle with zeke, and provide a great game plan against the good teams

starfan1

Reaction score
OK, let's change the optics. The Defense stunk, but Dak (yet again, after SFx2) was unable to rally a response.
Problem is increasing Dak's CAP% doesn't help us creating a top Defense.
niether does ignoring FA when you have the ability to get the players. I agree daks cap % dont help matters and make them more dependent on hitting in draft. But dallas has shown even when the cap is not restricting and if you look at the cap they can still do things they wont do things.

This has never been a Dak problem its benn a FO problem compounded by Dak and the rest of the Team. Coaching hasnt always helped either. You need things to come together.

That said this is year 9 and i have no problem with them moving on nor do i have an issue with them keeping him but they better start spending high picks on his replacement. Dallas doesnt like to spend high picks on the most important position thats obvious. QC was last time I can remember them doing it and they got lucky hitting on Dak and Romo

If they arent spending high picks then they ought to spend mid round picks every 2 years or so in the hopes of getting lucky and take camp serious as a competition and not just a circus to get media attention

Reactions: CWR

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe Dak.......Jerry never wants fans to know things are as bad as they are. To be honest, I'm starting to think Dak has NO intention of signing until he sees how this season plays out and may not then. Remember before the draft he reminded us that he bet on himself before and will do so again.
Shoot.....He knows he can get $50M a year from Jerry today but he's going for the kill of $60M+.
That is my take as well. Prescott has the domineering position and Jones has the subservient one within this particular negotiating situation.

It is circumstance that Jones constructed to his own detriment. However, Jones will continue projecting publicly he has equal or superior positioning within these actual current nonexistent negotiations. No one can get over on Mr. Mad Genius. No one.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
niether does ignoring FA when you have the ability to get the players. I agree daks cap % dont help matters and make them more dependent on hitting in draft. But dallas has shown even when the cap is not restricting and if you look at the cap they can still do things they wont do things.

This has never been a Dak problem its benn a FO problem compounded by Dak and the rest of the Team. Coaching hasnt always helped either. You need things to come together.

That said this is year 9 and i have no problem with them moving on nor do i have an issue with them keeping him but they better start spending high picks on his replacement. Dallas doesnt like to spend high picks on the most important position thats obvious. QC was last time I can remember them doing it and they got lucky hitting on Dak and Romo

If they arent spending high picks then they ought to spend mid round picks every 2 years or so in the hopes of getting lucky and take camp serious as a competition and not just a circus to get media attention
I'm not anti-Dak (my first want would be a long time extension which gives the chance to restructure into future ...as Eagles have done successfully with Hurts).
But blaming the FO is somewhat lazy when looking at 2023.... that Defense was good enough (well good enough if we had a QB that could go score for score and keep our side of the scoreboard moving).

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Think so? Or hope so?
If Dak doesn't negotiate, then BOTH (which what will have to happen as you and the Pro-Dak (over Cowboys) crowd keep telling us he has all the leverage. No point him playing out 2024, it's best for all parties that we have a split and see where both sides stand in 2025.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If Dak doesn't negotiate, then BOTH (which what will have to happen as you and the Pro-Dak (over Cowboys) crowd keep telling us he has all the leverage. No point him playing out 2024, it's best for all parties that we have a split and see where both sides stand in 2025.
Well I’m not pro Dak over Cowboys I’m just pro Dak. I don’t think Dak’s Dallas career is over at the end of this month.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm looking at a year to come that might be interesting in the sense that this team is now in a rebuilding process. It's one that's very likely to interest those fans who are curious about what can be done to recover whatever they may have lost since 2023. Also, it'll be to start looking for a better future in 2024 and beyond. There will be new players to become acquainted with and their talents to explore, as well.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quincy Carter was the last time Jerry Jones proactively tried and 'succeeded' in getting a 'first round quality' quarterback. He removed that option for himself via the first-round pick he surrendered in acquiring Joey Galloway.

Some people have either forgotten how Jones sold his thinking to the fans and media or were not fans at the time. To compensate for the loss of the first round pick and making the biggest post-Troy Aikman era splash he thought he could, Jones used his second round pick and REACHED for Carter. Afterwards, he hyped Carter as an amazingly dynamic quarterback with first round talent.

Of course, no one else thought Carter had first round talent. Carter did serve one purpose though. Acquiring Carter established the first hard example of Jones' own ability of assessing quarterbacks. Romo and Prescott were lucky for him as you mentioned. One can only wonder just how much worse Jones' decision-making for the position would have been IF Sean Payton did not do his due diligence in evaluating Romo OR Jones had not taken what was essentially a flyer on Prescott in the fourth round.

The Mad Genius is something else. His assessing skills should be taken into consideration with his proactive acquisition of Trey Lance.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
No, I believe Prescott's public admission. Jones is doing what Jones does. He is selling the perception he is actively involved in securing quarterback security while he is likely saying squat to Prescott behind the scenes.
Didn't Jerry say he was waiting until pre-season (which I agree is a lie as the decision is made 31st May)?
Jerry knows Daks starting position (probably when the additional Void Year was agreed). If Dak doesn't think he's getting cut (and France can work Jerry out luke a puppet), then there is NO reason for Dak to negotiate....
....indeed, its in Dak's best interest to not show his hand before 31st May.... as it may result in Jerry realising there's no Home Town Discount and cuts Dak (saving himself $29m, and the chance to clear his CAP in 2024)

starfan1

Reaction score
I'm not anti-Dak (my first want would be a long time extension which gives the chance to restructure into future ...as Eagles have done successfully with Hurts).
But blaming the FO is somewhat lazy when looking at 2023.... that Defense was good enough (well good enough if we had a QB that could go score for score and keep our side of the scoreboard moving).
you think the defense was good enough? go back and look at all the games we lost and even a game we won.If the defense wasnt feasting on turnovers they were getting beat up front and run on or beat up in short passing game. Look at the AZ game for example they ran it down our throats, San Fran game as well even the detroit game which we won but that didnt have to come down to missed XP. The defense wilted like a cheap suit.If youre expecting dak to score 50 points a game because of the defense youre fooling yourself or if you expect the defense to hold the other team under 20 all the time because of the offense its foolish thinking. complimentary football is lacking with this team because the roster has lacked the much needed playmakers

again I dont care if Dak goes or stays but this simplistic look that if someone else was QB it would be different i just cant buy into. Outside of Mahomes or Prime brady and Manning I just dont see it. This team has failed in many different was whether it was Dak,lack of running game ,poor offensive scheming or a defense that gets shredded like a knife through butter

That falls on the FO failure to put together the type of roster necessary to compete in january and february. also just cause i quoted you here doesnt mean i believe they are your thoughts im just kind of expressing my opinion here

Last edited:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry, I've just tuned him out.

Did he say anything of substance or just his normal Jason Garrett blah blah blah about getting better?
This is the year !!
(Again, 2018 again, 2020 again no really this is it 2023!!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It is circumstance that Jones constructed to his own detriment.
Yep and to make matters worse, 2025 could be one of the weakest QB classes in years. I know it is early but Lance is better than any projected 2025 1st round QB.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
you think the defense was good enough? go back and look at all the games we lost and even a game we won.If the defense wasnt feasting on turnovers they were getting beat up front and run on or beat up in short passing game. Look at the AZ game for example they ran it down our throats, San Fran game as well even the detroit game which we won but that didnt have to come down to missed XP. The defense wilted like a cheap suit.If youre expecting dak to score 50 points a game because of the defense youre fooling yourself or if you expect the defense to hold the other team under 20 all the time because of the offense its foolish thinking. complimentary football is lacking with this team because the roster has lacked the much needed playmakers

again I dont care if Dak goes or stays but this simplistic look that if someone else was QB it would be different i just cant buy into. Outside of Mahomes or Prime brady and Manning I just dont see it. This team has failed in many different was whether it was Dak,lack of running game ,poor offensive scheming or a defense that gets shredded like a knife through butter

That falls on the FO failure to put together the type of roster necessary to compete in january and february
The lack of run-defense is only relevant if the team hasn't the offense to counter.
We like to blame the run defense vrs SF Play-Offs (x2), which was poor....but it doesn't distract that Dak had the ball 4 times to pull off a win and a tie in both games.
So looking at the 'holes' that appeared in the GB game, how do we foresee and block all of them?
I'm not saying or blaming Dak, I'm saying build a 2016 O-Line to protect a QB as Dak had and use the saving (as I'd cut him Pre-June) on building in the trenches.
Dak will be on the market in 2025, if that's what we choose....as he's NOT giving a Home Town Discount, no point in pandering and paying him in 2024.