Dak on what to expect from Moore's offense

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Relax, we will have a top 3 offense. Providing we have balanced play calling. Can't wait.
The only guarantee I have in the off season with a new OC and lots of guess work is that we will have a top 32 offense. We will also have a top 32 defense. Outside of that.........it's the off-season.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm not sure that's allowed. The playbook will have a set range of plays to choose from in that situation, and that will still be one of the options. He's not going to change route concepts/designs IMO. He'll only change the look of the formations those plays are run out of.

Now, we might throw more on first down to mix up the play-calling better, but we're not really introducing new concepts from what I read.

Well then that will kinda blow.

And if it's true, it undercuts the Garrett defenders who have tried to push off offensive issues on Linehan. If we run basically the same concepts in the passing game with just with different formations essentially, it's hard to argue this isn't Garrett's offense and what he wants.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"We’re presenting it different."

Translation = We're smearing whip cream atop a plate covered with turds and calling it a souffle`.............................

Or they scraped off the turd plays, and really replaced them with souffle'
I just hope they washed the plate after they scraped them off, leaving no remnant of those plays. :laugh:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There's some truth to this, but there are also things you can do to scheme players open. We hardly ever bunch our receivers to make it harder to bump them. We don't use very many rub routes. We don't really take advantage of rules that favor the offense, instead running our plays in a way that's similar to the 1990s teams. The rules have changed a lot since the '90s.
We’re more limited than some teams because of our QB’s skill set.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To me it is not about the playback, as if it is Garrett's or Linehan's or a combination. Or if it is the same but added wrinkles and presnap motions.
It will be the gameplay and how the plays are called. And any in game adjustments made if and when needed.

But the players still must execute the plays.

Don't get caught up in who's playbook it is. Because it has shown to be productive.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And it’s not “ Moore’s offense “. It’s still Garretts offense. Moore is just calling the plays and throwing in some wrinkles.

pansophy

Reaction score
I think you're definitely going to get your wish for more motion. They're watching film of the Rams offense as we speak!
:laugh:

I don't expect a complete overhaul, but I do expect motion added, plays run out of different looks, and overall an infusion of creativity, specifically in the routes being called. If they can do that, and the offensive line gets back to their past standards, they will be tough to deal with.
There is a lot to be said for running the same play out of several formations.

pansophy

Reaction score
JGs doesn't have a playbook full of plays no other team runs. Far and away most are plays every team runs. A post pattern is a post pattern, and an off tackle run is an off tackle run, and the difference is only in the pre snap look the team gives. The statue of Liberty and the Annexation of Puerto Rico are not standards for other teams.

I remember reading after the Rams game that far and away most of the plays the Rams offense ran were plays the Cowboys run, except that the Rams disguised them better with some shifts and motion. I suspect that's what Moore is looking to do - make it harder for defenses to read.
They ran those plays so much faster than we did. Watching the Rams Cowboys playoff game I felt like that is what our offense should look like. So crisp and all the fakes and misdirections happened very quickly so it really did 'pause' defenders.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Presenting it different?
Presenting it different?

You mean it's the same trash in a new bag.

Not at all....ever wonder why certain routes always seemed to a minute behind and a dollar short? Well, Moore's use of system should remedy that.

No, that's not a witch doctor's cure...

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Well then that will kinda blow.

And if it's true, it undercuts the Garrett defenders who have tried to push off offensive issues on Linehan. If we run basically the same concepts in the passing game with just with different formations essentially, it's hard to argue this isn't Garrett's offense and what he wants.

I hope that I'm wrong, but I believe Linehan took the brunt of the blame for failing within Garrett's system. He got a lot of credit in 2014 when we increased our running attack and the offense looked pretty good, but really it was already in the plans to do that after not using the running game as much as we should have in 2013 was questioned not only by fans but by the Joneses.

Now, Linehan deserved to be fired for not calling plays better within the scheme, but he was always handcuffed by Garrett's belief that it's simply all about execution instead of creating advantages and mismatches. If he allows Moore to do that, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Sydla

Reaction score
JGs doesn't have a playbook full of plays no other team runs. Far and away most are plays every team runs. A post pattern is a post pattern, and an off tackle run is an off tackle run, and the difference is only in the pre snap look the team gives. The statue of Liberty and the Annexation of Puerto Rico are not standards for other teams.

I remember reading after the Rams game that far and away most of the plays the Rams offense ran were plays the Cowboys run, except that the Rams disguised them better with some shifts and motion. I suspect that's what Moore is looking to do - make it harder for defenses to read.

Its more complicated than that. Yes, the passing tree is the same but it's more than how you disguise a play, it's how and when you use a play.

We've been criticized by some who have looked back at some past seasons that we are fairly conservative on third downs in terms of the passing routes we use. We also are a bit predictable in the route combinations we have used (lots of curls, etc). So for this offense to be better, it has to go beyond just adding a couple of new formations or more motion.

I am (was) hoping Moore would kill our tendencies and open up the offense, specifically in the passing game, by getting away from our predictability.

gimmesix

Reaction score
We’re more limited than some teams because of our QB’s skill set.

Not sure I agree with that. Dak misses some throws that he needs to make and he needs to do a better job of getting the ball out, but he also adds the running element that a lot of quarterbacks don't have. Technically, we should be less limited than other teams if we use our QB right.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is a lot to be said for running the same play out of several formations.

There is. It's been working great for the Rams for the last few years. Anything that spruces up the predictable offense that we've had for the past several years is a good thing.

I've long believed that given the player talent that we've had, our offense has underachieved for years. Now it will be interesting to see if Moore can help to get it out of them.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Its more complicated than that. Yes, the passing tree is the same but it's more than how you disguise a play, it's how and when you use a play.

We've been criticized by some who have looked back at some past seasons that we are fairly conservative on third downs in terms of the passing routes we use. We also are a bit predictable in the route combinations we have used (lots of curls, etc). So for this offense to be better, it has to go beyond just adding a couple of new formations or more motion.

I am (was) hoping Moore would kill our tendencies and open up the offense, specifically in the passing game, by getting away from our predictability.

He could do some of that. There are plays like draws built into the playbook, but we rarely run them in situations like third-and-7. You could pretty much count on that being a pass play for this team, running those predictable route combinations. If he mixes and matches the playbook well, we could get away from some of our tendencies. However, he's going to have to use disguised versions of existing plays in doing that.

I believe those expecting Dallas to use new concepts are going to be sorely disappointed, If Moore succeeds, it will be much like Linehan in 2014 and 2016 IMO, good use of the existing scheme coupled with good execution. That will still leave us short of having the type of offense we could have (which means we would still fail in shootouts with offenses like Green Bay had in 2014 and 2016), but it could be enough if our defense is great.

ESisback

Reaction score
There's some truth to this, but there are also things you can do to scheme players open. We hardly ever bunch our receivers to make it harder to bump them. We don't use very many rub routes. We don't really take advantage of rules that favor the offense, instead running our plays in a way that's similar to the 1990s teams. The rules have changed a lot since the '90s.

I agree, that’s HUGE, but this philosophical shift can’t come all at once. Baby steps, otherwise it may be too much too soon for 2019. I suspect they’ll be enough of a shift this year to get us over the hump (as in true contention). Absolute domination comes in 2020 and beyond.

pansophy

Reaction score
There is. It's been working great for the Rams for the last few years. Anything that spruces up the predictable offense that we've had for the past several years is a good thing.

I've long believed that given the player talent that we've had, our offense has underachieved for years. Now it will be interesting to see if Moore can help to get it out of them.
There were segments on the old Shanahan offenses that was this idea -- same play from many different looks. I would love to just run the Rams offense.