Dak on what to expect from Moore's offense

Flamma

Reaction score
Dallas will probably run the same plays except maybe run a lot of the pass plays from play action instead of shotgun. They can run from the same formations. Throw in some motion and there...….brand new lipstick.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
There is. It's been working great for the Rams for the last few years. Anything that spruces up the predictable offense that we've had for the past several years is a good thing.

I've long believed that given the player talent that we've had, our offense has underachieved for years. Now it will be interesting to see if Moore can help to get it out of them.

The Rams schemed our defense to take our best player out of the picture. They bunched tight ends and receivers on the right side of the line to create traffic and extra blockers to interfere with Lawrence. They ran away from him, forcing other defenders to step up and stop it, which didn't happen. They consistently faked the jet sweep/end-around to cause our linebackers to hesitate.

The plays LA ran against us weren't new, but how they presented them gave them an advantage that our defense was never able to figure out how to neutralize.

Meanwhile, Dallas just lined up in its regular formations and ran predictable plays. Nothing was done to create an advantage, which has been typical since Garrett got here. LA created mismatches for the plays it was running; I'm not sure that Moore will be allowed to go that far because Garrett believes in outexecuting instead of outsmarting.

Flamma

Reaction score
I agree, that’s HUGE, but this philosophical shift can’t come all at once. Baby steps, otherwise it may be too much too soon for 2019. I suspect they’ll be enough of a shift this year to get us over the hump (as in true contention). Absolute domination comes in 2020 and beyond.

Under normal circumstances I'd agree. That is if we had anything remotely close to a complicated offense now. What does Dallas do on offense? Or better yet, not do? No shifts, no motion, just line up and run a simple route. I'm pretty sure none of those are changed at the LOS based on the defense either. No different than when I play out in the street.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I would be more interested to see how the match-ups change.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There were segments on the old Shanahan offenses that was this idea -- same play from many different looks. I would love to just run the Rams offense.
We probably could if we had Goff. But Dak under center ?

Such a waste we can’t take advantage of play action with our great running game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Any offense can be overcome if the defense knows what’s coming.
That’s not necessarily true if they’re overmatched. Our 90’s team was a great example how defenses knew what was coming but couldn’t stop it. Just saying..

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I agree, that’s HUGE, but this philosophical shift can’t come all at once. Baby steps, otherwise it may be too much too soon for 2019. I suspect they’ll be enough of a shift this year to get us over the hump (as in true contention). Absolute domination comes in 2020 and beyond.

I don't see us making a philosophical shift. Garrett was part of the 1990s teams that essentially told defenses, you know what's coming, try to stop it. He believes in execution, my guy beating your guy, because that's what he was raised on as a member of one of the best rosters of all time. He appears stuck in the belief that it's all about execution so I don't think we can expect that to change completely.

That Moore will be allowed to execute those same plays while attempting to disguise them more is about all the concession I expect.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't see us making a philosophical shift. Garrett was part of the 1990s teams that essentially told defenses, you know what's coming, try to stop it. He believes in execution, my guy beating your guy, because that's what he was raised on as a member of one of the best rosters of all time. He appears stuck in the belief that it's all about execution so I don't think we can expect that to change completely.

That Moore will be allowed to execute those same plays while attempting to disguise them more is about all the concession I expect.
This is true to a certain extent but I think we saw some tweaks play calling with Dak versus when Romo was in this offense.

cern

Reaction score
We won't really know until September. If all they do is run the same plays but from different sets, they'll get figured out just like landry's multiple set offense. I expect new plays.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Didn't mean to ruin your breakfast/lunch..........................My bad.....................

Well, it's true that whipped cream makes almost anything better.

Reminds me of that ol' joke about life being a poop sandwich..........the more bread you have, the less you can taste the poop.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only guarantee I have in the off season with a new OC and lots of guess work is that we will have a top 32 offense. We will also have a top 32 defense. Outside of that.........it's the off-season.
Most people have no idea how much Linehan held this team back, not to mention Rod.

ESisback

Reaction score
That’s not necessarily true if they’re overmatched. Our 90’s team was a great example how defenses knew what was coming but couldn’t stop it. Just saying..
But that way wouldn’t work long term in today’s game. The way we’ve been drafting the last few years doesn’t really indicate us being consistently overmatched.

ESisback

Reaction score

Which SHOULD be enough to make us real contenders. JMO.

ESisback

Reaction score
Under normal circumstances I'd agree. That is if we had anything remotely close to a complicated offense now. What does Dallas do on offense? Or better yet, not do? No shifts, no motion, just line up and run a simple route. I'm pretty sure none of those are changed at the LOS based on the defense either. No different than when I play out in the street.

And I’m saying the shifts and motions and wrinkles that Moore adds to Garrett’s offense will make it more effective. The only things to prevent that are injury and officiating.