Dak or Zeke better win MVP

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I agree but the Oline makes Dak's job that much easier as well.

I think we all know that the Dallas Oline is the key to this team overall as a dominant Oline is the key to ay sucessful team so:

Which player in the NFL is performing above and beyond without a dominant line

It should not matter.

I've never heard of any players discredited in NFL history more than Cowboys players about their OL and teammates around them.

Jerry Rice can play with 2 HOF QB's, and a head coach that had a passing offense 2 decades ahead of it's times but yet he is the greatest of all time meanwhile Emmitt crushes every rushing record, has the rings, and all the accolades but he isn't the best ever because of his OL.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I think Dak deserves to be MVP for leading a 4-12 team to 13-2 and HFA. He's been nothing short of a revelation for the team.

7 of the last 8 QB's to win MVP ranked first or second in Expected Points Added, arguably the most important This year the top 3 in that category are all very close:

1. Matt Ryan - 63.3
2. Dak Prescott - 63.0
3. Aaron Rogers - 62.0
4. Tom Brady - 50.6

To put this in context in 2014 Romo had an EPA of 53.3 but lost the MVP race to Rogers who had an EPA of 66.8.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr
EPA deserves more attention, but it should be noted that a) those are totals and not averages, and b) they don't account for defenses faced. EPA is the basis of Total QBR, and Romo's TQBR was higher than Rodgers in 2014 for both of those reasons. This year, Ryan has had more QB plays than Dak, but Dak has faced weaker defenses. As a result, Ryan has a slight edge in TQBR.

sean10mm

Reaction score
To be clear, MVP is an Associated Press award voted on by sports writers. There are no real criteria for how they vote, it's just what the collected dopes like Peter King et. al. feel like. So don't expect a lot of deep thought to go into it.

Dak and Zeke are going to split the Cowboys player vote and neither one will get it. That's what's actually going to happen. A team with 2 serious candidates really has 0.

There is also rookie bias against them - no rookie has won MVP in like 30+ years or something I think.

My uneducated guess is that Brady wins. I don't think he should, but it's my gut feeling. There are only 3 elite teams, and their QBs are the most likely candidates for MVP. Carr is out due to injury. Dak is is a rookie (strike one) who is going to split the vote with another rookie on his own team (strike two). That leaves Brady. Rodgers and Ryan have too many bad losses this year, plus nobody trusts Ryan or the Falcons in the postseason - that shouldn't matter, but nobody wants to vote in a guy for MVP who then puts on a huge playoff choke job like Peyton Manning did in his MVP seasons. Stafford's team is flaming out, Brees is piling up garbage time yards on a trash team, and no WR or RB is having a 2,000 yard season or something to jump ahead of any QBs.

Dak and Zeke will split rookie of the year/offensive rookie of the year between them, Zeke will probably be 1st team All-Pro too.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Yards/Game
Brees Cousins Ryan Brady Palmer Luck Rodgers Rivers Rthlsbgr Flacco

YPA
Ryan Brady Cousins Prescott Luck Brees Tannehill Wilson Rivers Mariota

TD%
Ryan Brady Rodgers Mariota Luck Rthlsbgr Rivers Brees Prescott Winston

INT%
Brady Stafford Prescott Carr Rodgers Kaepernick Taylor Ryan Smith Dalton

comp%
Bradford Brees Ryan Prescott Cousins Tannehill Brady Smith Rodgers Stafford

passer rating

Ryan Brady Prescott Brees Rodgers Cousins Bradford Luck Carr Mariota

Top 10's
Ryan 6
Brady 6
Brees 5
Rodgers 5
Prescott 5
Cousins 4
Luck 4
Mariota 3
Carr 2

Top 5's
Ryan 5
Brady 5
Prescott 4
Rodgers 3
Brees 3
Cousins 3
Luck 2
Mariota 1
Carr 1

Avg rank
Ryan 2.8
Brady 3.0
Brees 6.3
Prescott 7.0
Rodgers 7.2
Cousins 7.2
Luck 9.8
Carr 11.8
Mariota 13.8

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'll be cheering for New Orleans Sunday for this reason alone.

The media forgot about the other 5 times they lost so they need a reminder of why Matt Ryan shouldn't be MVP.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
I agree but the Oline makes Dak's job that much easier as well.

I think we all know that the Dallas Oline is the key to this team overall as a dominant Oline is the key to ay sucessful team so:

Which player in the NFL is performing above and beyond without a dominant line

We can't just look at the Oline and say.. well if he didn't have an Oline he would suck. We don't fully know that and it isn't their fault they have a good Oline. What Dak has done as a rookie has never been done. He took a 4-12 team and turned it into a 13-2.. maybe 14-2 team... only losing to one team. In my mind he is the MVP. However, I wouldn't be upset if they gave it to Zeke either. Dak will get his MVP in time I can tell you that.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
It definitely would be great if one won MVP and the other rookie of the year.

Thomas82

Reaction score
It should not matter.

I've never heard of any players discredited in NFL history more than Cowboys players about their OL and teammates around them.

Jerry Rice can play with 2 HOF QB's, and a head coach that had a passing offense 2 decades ahead of it's times but yet he is the greatest of all time meanwhile Emmitt crushes every rushing record, has the rings, and all the accolades but he isn't the best ever because of his OL.

That's the ultimate double-standard. Emmitt (and now Zeke) gets penalized for his supporting cast while other all-time greats get a pass.

mldardy

Reaction score
Eh. Matt Ryan is having an incredible year, I don't see how he doesn't get it
So are Dak and Zeke and they are doing it as rookies with a better record. Ryan has losses against the Chargers, THE CHARGERS AT HOME and the Eagles. So eh back.

plasticman

Reaction score
Co-MVP's.

They keep calling Zeke and Dak special rookies so the NFL should think out of the box and create a special exception.

And when we say NFL MVP, it's not just what they have done statistically or competitively IN the game and how the team has benefited. It has even more to do with what they have done FOR the game of football and how the league has benefited.

From a marketing and national interest perspective, they have revitalized the popularity of professional football through their exciting play and performance. They have expanded the NFL fan base to include younger crowds.

Their timing couldn't have been better. Market share was decreasing. the entire NFL owes them a great deal of gratitude, no better reward than doing the right thing, recognize the two guys who truly are the most valuable players TO the NFL.

Sepia

Reaction score
Dak is my MVP. I don't care.

But I think both will lose. Oh well, hopefully they will play with chips on their shoulders and find solace in their SB rings.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Im already hearing guys like Peter King wanting to give it to Matt Ryan & Tom Brady.

He said on the Herd that there is no real clear cut winner.

IMO, Ezekiel Elliot has had the biggest impact of any player this year and it isn't even close. He's played like a high level veteran and has changed how teams have to defend us.

ROTY goes to Dak.. Zeke MVP.

This Tom Brady and Matt Ryan talk is just the media doing everything possible to not give it to a rookie. 13-2 we clinched the NFC with 2 games left, and we lost to 1 team the entire year.

Give me a break about it isn't clear cut. The MVP is in Dallas. Now pick one.

neither will, one probably does deserve it, but neither will win it.

aikemirv

Reaction score
We can't just look at the Oline and say.. well if he didn't have an Oline he would suck. We don't fully know that and it isn't their fault they have a good Oline. What Dak has done as a rookie has never been done. He took a 4-12 team and turned it into a 13-2.. maybe 14-2 team... only losing to one team. In my mind he is the MVP. However, I wouldn't be upset if they gave it to Zeke either. Dak will get his MVP in time I can tell you that.

To be fair, Dak and Zeke inherited a 12-4 team that did not have a QB or a RB last year......

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Because Zeke has been better. Better record, best team in the conference.

16 TD's, leads NFL in rushing, most Yards after contact in the NFL.

Why weren't you stumping this hard for Romo in 2014?

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Eh. Matt Ryan is having an incredible year, I don't see how he doesn't get it

Dak deserves it. Rookie 4th rounder that fills in for an injured vet that takes his team to 13-2. QBs of last year couldn't do that.

It is really no contest. None!

DCowboyz

Reaction score
Seeing how everyone is saying Ryan should win MVP.. I don't know why Romo never won one. I think they hate voting for Cowboy players for MVP.

phildadon86

Reaction score
If Zeke is truly the MVP how can he not be the ROTY too? Because you want to feed your fan feelings?

Nonsense. Zeke's the ROTY. Debatable whether he's the MVP. I would vote for him but I'm biased.

Prescott gets like 3rd or 4th team all rookie honorable mention.
Prescott is first team all rookie. No doubt