Dak Prescott Almost agreed to new contract before deadline

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Not true. Regardless of what you, I, and many other fans might think, the cowboys are sold on Dak. You don't make a 110M guarantee and 50M signing bonus offer to a dude you aren't sold on.

They're sold on him for the terms they offered. Terms Dak declined.

Sometimes no deal happens because the two sides just don't agree on value. That's when you move on.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Spin control from Dak? He could be trying to make it look like he wanted to sign the extension. Guess if he really wanted to sign he could have called Stephen? Or instructed his agent to get on the phone.

Sounds like PR to me. Because there *is* an inevitable cost to fan loyalty to Dak out of this. Even if you like him, the prospect of him not being a Cowboy reduces interest and loyalty.

It's unclear that either side really wanted a deal, but at least the Cowboys made an offer. Dak made no offer than I'm aware of.

Trade Dak. Roll with Dalton. Draft a rookie next year. Maybe see about trades for a young guy McCarthy takes a shine to this year.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Sounds like PR to me. Because there *is* an inevitable cost to fan loyalty to Dak out of this. Even if you like him, the prospect of him not being a Cowboy reduces interest and loyalty.

It's unclear that either side really wanted a deal, but at least the Cowboys made an offer. Dak made no offer than I'm aware of.

Trade Dak. Roll with Dalton. Draft a rookie next year. Maybe see about trades for a young guy McCarthy takes a shine to this year.
And if the rookie sucks. We are built to win now. Not in 3 or 5 years..

cern

Reaction score
I would love to have been a fly on the wall when dak realized Stephen wasn't going to cave in and he better intercede.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Lol. Honestly, this could be a great move by the FO. Could be a JJ move. The agent pulls the plug after a gentleman’s hand shake with JJ, and ticks him off.

Daks agent knows JJ usually caves at the end when the phone call comes.

Phone call comes and Dak and agent is smiling, FO waits till it’s to late and makes the sweet deal that they pretty much want and gets Daks hopes up and ready but oooohhhhh look the time ran out.

So sorry you would have gotten a 50 million dollar check today but.. your agent waited to long.

Dak will now play for 31 million after missing out on millions last year because his agent refused basically the same contract.

Dak will now fire the agent that broke the hand shake with him. Lol.

Bah, likely I am over thinking this. But it’s fun.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Lol. Honestly, this could be a great move by the FO. Could be a JJ move. The agent pulls the plug after a gentleman’s hand shake with JJ, and ticks him off.

Daks agent knows JJ usually caves at the end when the phone call comes.

Phone call comes and Dak and agent is smiling, FO waits till it’s to late and makes the sweet deal that they pretty much want and gets Daks hopes up and ready but oooohhhhh look the time ran out.

So sorry you would have gotten a 50 million dollar check today but.. your agent waited to long.

Dak will now play for 31 million after missing out on millions last year because his agent refused basically the same contract.

Dak will now fire the agent that broke the hand shake with him. Lol.

Bah, likely I am over thinking this. But it’s fun.

It sets up negotiations next year a little better, *if* Dak wants to be a Cowboy. And if he's still even here by then.

Dak now knows that Jerry will walk away from the table. Now he has to face leaving the Cowboys, and the associated costs, as a real possibility.

I say move on now. Dak as a short timer, or Dalton as a short timer plus 31.4mil plus whatever we can get in trade for Dak. The latter looks a lot better to me.

glimmerman

Reaction score
If we want to win now, trade Dak, spend 31.4 elsewhere, and start Dalton.

Dalton + 31.4mil > Dak
I don’t know if he has it anymore. Can he do what Dak can do. I don’t think Dalton is the long term solution. I don’t want to start the season with him. Can we make a trade during the season..

plasticman

Reaction score
Actions speak louder than words.

By not signing a legitimate fair contract Prescott comes as across as someone with delusions of grandeur.
By not renegotiating Dak's contract at the end of a three year period, Jerry comes across as confused with an inability to comprehend the significance of a QB with the 2nd most wins behind Brady, as well as ranking #1 in Game Winning Drives. Dak not only ranked in the top 6 in most categories, he had the most rushing TD's while averaging 5 yards a carry during a three year span in which he never missed a game.

This three year performance earned Dak Rookie of the Year as well as two Pro Bowl selections

It's no delusion. What Dak accomplished was indeed grand.

glimmerman

Reaction score
It sets up negotiations next year a little better, *if* Dak wants to be a Cowboy. And if he's still even here by then.

Dak now knows that Jerry will walk away from the table. Now he has to face leaving the Cowboys, and the associated costs, as a real possibility.

I say move on now. Dak as a short timer, or Dalton as a short timer plus 31.4mil plus whatever we can get in trade for Dak. The latter looks a lot better to me.
I think Dak will try to do all the right things and gamble on himself again. New staff with better HC and improved weapons.

Frozen700

Reaction score
Not true. Regardless of what you, I, and many other fans might think, the cowboys are sold on Dak. You don't make a 110M guarantee and 50M signing bonus offer to a dude you aren't sold on. Jane Slater reported that Dak wanted to sign the deal but contract negotiations ran up against the league deadline. Unless Dak lays an egg this year, he's going to get a 5 year, 200M offer at seasons end. If he refuses to sign again, he'll get another tag.

I think 200M is insane but its pretty close to what Dallas has already offered.

So sold they went months without talking?

#DontpayDak

Brax

Reaction score
What will I do? Do what I did this year after he did Jack vs the eagles. Nothing.

He won't succeed, it will show in his play. Then I will be asking what will you all do?

Last I checked, I wasn't the one dancing prematurely celebrating him signing or not in July saying "find a new team in July."

That was you and your Dak fans. So what will you all do when it's time for him to pack his bags?

Will you be joining? Or staying around with your head down?

According to you all, mainly Rockport all the fans that thought Dak should not get paid and wouldn't get paid come July are "idiots, who don't know football" and that Jerry will pay the man, following it up with laughter.

Who's laughing now

uUu9hwp.png

#DontpayDak
But but but but but...........

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
That's a deal good for both sides. Bad move for the Cowboys wait until the 11th hour to get that out there. I really thought they should have offered him $100MM guaranteed for 4 years months ago. Now they are either going to pay mightily to keep him next year or just let him go.
Or just tag him again...

baltcowboy

Reaction score
No one wants to have that discussion which is why yours and my posts get ignored, lol. I see it though, so there's that. Haha.
The problem is most on the board either love or hate Dak. They are expressing their joy and pain right now. The national media is doing hot takes and roasting the Cowboys. Just wait about a week and people should come to their senses.

Brax

Reaction score
Ultimately the responsibility falls on the Cowboys to get a deal done not Dak.
I see you know little about contract talks It takes two to get it done. Ultimately Dak was greedy for $$$$ he doesn’t deserve.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I see you know little about contract talks It takes two to get it done. Ultimately Dak was greedy for $$$$ he doesn’t deserve.
It actually only takes one to make an offer that cant be refused .

But that’s fine if you think Dak was being greedy and you’re prepared to move on. As long as you don’t mind losing him and the cost it could have on Cowboys football until we find a replacement.

And if you still want him next year it’s only going to cost more.

Cowboys missed an opportunity to lock up their franchise QB. That’s on the Cowboys not Dak.