Dak Prescott Deal "Not Close" According To Adam Schefter

Swagger

Reaction score
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...sons-contracts-not-any-closer-after-lamb-deal

Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Cowboys are not "any closer" to extending Prescott or Parsons.
"It has not felt like there's been a real sense of urgency to get a deal done," Schefter said on SportsCenter. "And the urgency helped them today with CeeDee Lamb, but it has not really been there, nor should it be there with Dak Prescott nor Micah Parsons. So those two situations continue to linger on. And now that Dallas has reached the agreement with CeeDee Lamb, it can take some of the attention that it was devoting to their wide receiver and now begin to focus it on the quarterback and the elite defensive player that Micah Parsons is.

"But it doesn't appear at this time that a deal with either one of those players—Parsons or Prescott—is any closer despite the fact that CeeDee Lamb now has an agreement to keep him in Dallas for the next five years."
Regardless of what people's views are of whether or not Prescott should be resigned, the reality is it does not make much sense for a deal to be signed at this point before the end of the season.

From Prescott's point of view - he will think well if I play well in the regular season then the open market could be very rewarding. Further, if I play well I will likely receive a very competitive offer from the Cowboys in any event.

From the Cowboys perspective, they have seen Prescott perform well in the regular season only to underperform in the play offs. They are likely thinking well let's see how it shakes out this season. If Prescott plays well in the regular season and the team at least reach the NFC Championship game then I think they will make him a fantastic offer - probably not higher than what he would be offered on the open market but other than the Rams (if they can afford it) are there really any teams who would pay him handsomely and provide him with a potential Superbowl team? Some say the Raiders - yeah I don't see Prescott wanting to play in the same division as Mahomes and Reed for starters. Maybe the Saints could be an option but again, how good are they?

So from Jerry's point of view he would likely feel very confident of resigning Prescott should he wish at the end of the season apart from if the Rams came in for him (cap space?).

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry will settle up with Dak when the mood strikes him. :angry:
That's how he rolls, as a self-appointed GM.:thumbdown:
It seems he listens only to himself. :huh:

Last edited:

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Everyone one wants the most money at their position now but yet the playoff victories still aren't happening. If Dak didn't suck in the playoffs he would already be paid again. Let him go out and prove it. Get them back to the playoffs and at least an NFC championship game. He has had enough talent on offense and defense and still cant get out of the conference game. Yea that's worth 60 plus million.
the excuse is goin to be the contract extension hanging over his head. I would love for him to pull a Joe Flacco on us this year in the postseason. Living in Baltimore at the time in 2012, I was shocked and amazed at his Super Bowl run. He never played that good(again ) in his career and it just all clicked

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
A journeyman QB had no problem tossing to Mike Evans and going further than Dak last year on a middling Bucs team.

Also, CeeDee put up similar numbers when Rush played QB. Facts are your friends.
Really? Show us those "similar numbers" from Rush to CeeDee you are talking about...

irishline

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah don’t we have something like 28 million under the cap for this season?
No. Over the cap listed 28.6 million in cap space but that was with CD listed as "suspended" and a zero dollar cap hit. It is going to be less than $10 million when he is moved back up (also Joseph isn't there yet).

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/dallas-cowboys
scroll to the bottom and see how CD isn't included

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
A few of our star players sucked in the playoffs as well..... should they get paid too, or should we just cut bait with all of our top players and not pay them?
I would sign Parsons before Dak to get a more team friendly contract and it would clearly define the contract for the new team if the decide to trade him in the next year or 2. Nothing worse than trading for a big name player and the new team having to hammer out a new contract.

I would let Dak play this thing out in 24 or try to trade him mid year. There is no urgency. He's not getting younger or better.

Jipper

Reaction score
I would sign Parsons before Dak to get a more team friendly contract and it would clearly define the contract for the new team if the decide to trade him in the next year or 2. Nothing worse than trading for a big name player and the new team having to hammer out a new contract.

I would let Dak play this thing out in 24 or try to trade him mid year. There is no urgency. He's not getting younger or better.
Can't trade him unless he agrees to it due to no trade clause...why would he agree to go to a team that is crappy and needs a qb Mid season when he can wait until FA and choose

John813

Reaction score
I'm sure today there will be a report they are closer, then by the week another report saying France hasn't talked to Stephen in 4 years lol.

sort of take these updates with a grain of salt.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Imagine thinking Dallas is going to settle for a cast-off after letting Dak walk.. that’s what the Dak-stans are trying to convince themselves what would happen.. I mean Dallas didn’t even exercise the 5th year option for Trey Lance and here we are, supposed to believe, Jerry is just going to offer him a a long term contract no matter what he sees?
There were possibly two trade situations better than Lance. Howell and Fields. And possibly 2 draft situations. Rattler and Milton. But we have Trey. I would be ok going for into 25 with Lance, Rush and one of Sanders, Beck, Ewers, or Milroe

JonesBoys

Reaction score
A few of our star players sucked in the playoffs as well..... should they get paid too, or should we just cut bait with all of our top players and not pay them?
Well you can't pay every one of them top dollar especially if that's the results you get in the playoffs. Money needs to be spread around since the "top" players who want all the money can't seem to get it done.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
If the locker room hierarchy was based on salary Dak would be fetching Ceedee's water this season.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
As stated in another thread.......I think it is simple. Jerry's offer to Dak will make him the highest-paid QB but Dak sees a chance to add another $5-10M (per year) via free agency. That's to hold up IMO.

The no-trade clause is killing them......

kskboys

Reaction score
Sign Dak, you most likely have to let Parsons walk. And/or several players you don't want to let walk. Even dummy Jerry has figured this out, and he does not figure things out easily.

Creeper

Reaction score
If your paying attention, and you don't have to be paying close attention, Jerry waits until the last minute which means Dak may not get done until next February. In the meantime, Jerry will sit on the CAP space he has now to carry it over into 2025 which will compensate for Dak's dead money.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It seems he listens only to himself.
No, he listens to others. But he just can't let go of being the final decision maker. Which is his right as owner, but when you don't get the desired results for 28 years, something has to change....