Dak Prescott Finished Second in NFL MVP Votes According to the Associated Press

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
first time watching a football game?
If you don’t think our offense did more than our defense against the Packers, then you must not have watched the game or are in serious denial. Our defense completely laid down in that game. I’ve been following the Cowboys since the 71 season and I’ve never seen their defense get owned like that in the playoffs. It looked like we had brought back Mike Nolan for the playoffs along with our 2020 defense. I’m not sure our 2020 defense ever had a game that bad. Lol

JBS

Reaction score
If you don’t think our offense did more than our defense against the Packers, then you must not have watched the game or are in serious denial. Our defense completely laid down in that game. I’ve been following the Cowboys since the 71 season and I’ve never seen their defense get owned like that in the playoffs.
Surely if you have been watching football since 1971 then you can understand what you watched

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Surely if you have been watching football since 1971 then you can understand what you watched
I understand what I watched, but apparently you didn’t understand what you watched. Our defense was FAR worse than our offense against the Packers. I’m not sure our pathetic 2020 defense ever had a game that embarrassing.

JBS

Reaction score
I understand what I watched, but apparently you didn’t understand what you watched. Our defense was FAR worse than our offense against the Packers. I’m not sure our pathetic 2020 defense ever had a game that embarrassing.
I’m not defending the defense

Because I know what I watched

I don’t need to defend either side of the ball. Apparently you feel a desperate need to. And it’s absolutely hilarious to watch you do it

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Associated Press' voters decide which player is named as the National Football League's Most Valuable Player. The voting process is as follows:

The AP NFL Awards recognize the season’s top performers with honors including AP Most Valuable Player – a distinction AP has handed out since 1957 – and AP Coach of the Year. They are voted on by a nationwide panel of 50 sports journalists who cover the league.
Voters will rank their top five picks for MVP and top three picks for other awards. They will also rank their choices for first and second team All-Pro – the best players at each position. This process will more seamlessly allow for AP to name second and third-place finishers. (link)​

The voting for the 2023 NFL Most Valuable Player selected by The Associated Press in balloting by a nationwide panel of media: (Voting is on a 10-5-3-2-1 basis) (link)​

Thus, last season's MVP voting broke down as follows:

s8qd7qY.png

This thread was not created to silence opinions Dak Prescott finished second, third, fourth, etc. It is emphasizing the AP's deciding factor of ranking MVP choices is total points according to how all votes were cast per representative. I think it is important for discussion since neither the league nor fans decides who gets the trophy and who finished behind the winner. It is the AP.

A couple of talking points as it pertains to Prescott:
  • All 50 AP representatives did not vote for him as their first choice for MVP
  • Prescott and the 49ers' Christian McCaffrey finished with the same number of AP representatives voting for them as their second choices
  • Lamar Jackson's total votes (493) totally overshadows Prescott's total (152) but Prescott and third-place MVP McCaffrey's total (147) was extremely slim (5 votes)
  • 13 out of remaining 50 AP representatives voted for Prescott as their third choice for MVP--edging out McCaffrey (12)
  • The remaining AP representative voted for Josh Allen as a first-ballot MVP but more AP voters choose Prescott over him as their second (17 to 5) and third-place (13 to 11) MVP choices
And half this board wants nothing to do with the All Pro NFL MVP Runner-up. You can’t make this silliness up. :lmao:

Yobwocs

Reaction score
I think Dak has a chance to win this year.

It might come down to the last 5 games. If he can notch performances and wins against Joe Burrow, at the Eagles, and cap it off with a home win against Dan Quinn and Washington...he can secure MVP.

Buffalo was what lost Dak MVP last year. Miami he was good and secured the lead, but the Dolphins walked it off with a field goal right after, and it counted on the scoreboard as a loss.

quickccc

Reaction score
- Just like the Ravens are currently doing now with adding perennial all star RB Derrick Henry... to significantly help Lamar Jackson.

that's what we, the Cowboys should have been pursuing ...to significantly help our own QB Dak Prescott .

Ravens are constantly trying to add significant receiving weapons for Lamar (ala WR Flowers) but Lamar Jackson is not the elite passer
in crunch time playoffs, that can single handedly put his team over the top to the Super Bowl.

Ditto for our own Dak Prescott, who continues to struggle in playoffs vs opposition's zone pass coverages.

So the big key -.we very much needed to add a proven big time stud RB ( not a " decent".. or "serviceable ") to
take some of those those burdens off Dak. ..that,..as well as coaching, and a very capable defense stepping up in the playoffs,
are the THREE very big elements that we will desperately need to even have a remote chance at getting to NFC title game.

.. and of course to the SB.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And half this board wants nothing to do with the All Pro NFL MVP Runner-up. You can’t make this silliness up. :lmao:
"Half?"

The award is for the regular season. Dak Prescott is an all-pro but the NFL MVP of the regular season. The latter distinction often injects contention into conversations about the postseason.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

I don’t need to defend either side of the ball. Apparently you feel a desperate need to. And it’s absolutely hilarious to watch you do it
I haven’t seen you criticize the defense once for that embarrassment. You’re one of those who’s been fixated totally on our QB. Had our defense played just reasonably, holding the Packers to a couple of field goals instead of TDs, we would’ve had a chance in the fourth quarter. I wish I could find the video of Rex Ryan dismantling our defensive performance in that game. Even he said the defense quit. There was a video posted here with one of our own players, Juanyeh Thomas saying the defense quit. Dude, that was a defensive debacle like nothing I’ve ever seen from the Cowboys in a playoff game and that’s the honest truth.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

What’s hilarious is your wishy washy feeble attempt at trolling.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Associated Press' voters decide which player is named as the National Football League's Most Valuable Player. The voting process is as follows:

The AP NFL Awards recognize the season’s top performers with honors including AP Most Valuable Player – a distinction AP has handed out since 1957 – and AP Coach of the Year. They are voted on by a nationwide panel of 50 sports journalists who cover the league.
Voters will rank their top five picks for MVP and top three picks for other awards. They will also rank their choices for first and second team All-Pro – the best players at each position. This process will more seamlessly allow for AP to name second and third-place finishers. (link)​

The voting for the 2023 NFL Most Valuable Player selected by The Associated Press in balloting by a nationwide panel of media: (Voting is on a 10-5-3-2-1 basis) (link)​

Thus, last season's MVP voting broke down as follows:

s8qd7qY.png

This thread was not created to silence opinions Dak Prescott finished second, third, fourth, etc. It is emphasizing the AP's deciding factor of ranking MVP choices is total points according to how all votes were cast per representative. I think it is important for discussion since neither the league nor fans decides who gets the trophy and who finished behind the winner. It is the AP.

A couple of talking points as it pertains to Prescott:
  • All 50 AP representatives did not vote for him as their first choice for MVP
  • Prescott and the 49ers' Christian McCaffrey finished with the same number of AP representatives voting for them as their second choices
  • Lamar Jackson's total votes (493) totally overshadows Prescott's total (152) but Prescott and third-place MVP McCaffrey's total (147) was extremely slim (5 votes)
  • 13 out of remaining 50 AP representatives voted for Prescott as their third choice for MVP--edging out McCaffrey (12)
  • The remaining AP representative voted for Josh Allen as a first-ballot MVP but more AP voters choose Prescott over him as their second (17 to 5) and third-place (13 to 11) MVP choices
Old news....why bring it up again? Slow day or just stoking the embers? May as well pour some gasoline on it. :facepalm:

JBS

Reaction score
I haven’t seen you criticize the defense once for that embarrassment. You’re one of those who’s been fixated totally on our QB. Had our defense played just reasonably, holding the Packers to a couple of field goals instead of TDs, we would’ve had a chance in the fourth quarter. I wish I could find the video of Rex Ryan dismantling our defensive performance in that game. Even he said the defense quit. There was a video posted here with one of our own players, Juanyeh Thomas saying the defense quit. Dude, that was a defensive debacle like nothing I’ve ever seen from the Cowboys in a playoff game and that’s the honest truth.
Oh stop it. The defense was absolutely embarrassing. There is no defending the defense. Unlike you, I am capable of admitting what happened out there.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Old news....why bring it up again? Slow day or just stoking the embers? May as well pour some gasoline on it. :facepalm:
No one has turned off the pump if members have daily--including today--keep posting that Prescott finished behind Josh Allen. I felt clarification was needed and did so. If anything, the factual interpretation of what actually happened should be described as pouring water on the brush fires that continue to burn.